Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

He was probably thinking of the NSX.
A lot of the racing ones have fixed lights, so it's not uncommon.

Speaking of racing RXs, how about a Group B one?

Edit: Oh, wait, that's an awesome thing, isn't it, not terrible? Here's The Smoking Tyre investigating how :rice: could have me so much more worser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPrrIACrXCA

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

A lot of the racing ones have fixed lights, so it's not uncommon.

Speaking of racing RXs, how about a Group B one?

This is in the wrong thread. This is awesome.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
That veilslide abortion ruins the best thing about the RX7, the body lines. It is a straight up beautiful car and most of the bodykits ruin that and make it look dated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

If I could get these graphics in a cheap, easily removable sticker I would put them on every car I owned.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

You mean... like vinyl?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Had to give them a jump this weekend. Why the poo poo do manufacturers insist on packaging stuff like this?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blk posted:

Had to give them a jump this weekend. Why the poo poo do manufacturers insist on packaging stuff like this?

Because who would want to see an ENGINE when they open their hood?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Here's why

b0nes posted:

Can anyone tell me why the Lexus IS-F engine bay looks so...complicated?

I have only seen underneath the hoods of a few modern cars but wow that looks so drat complex.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

blk posted:

It's what you get for buying a tarted-up Camry. :colbert:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

dissss posted:

Yeah they did - the shape of the bumper and indicators/park lamps changed but the pop-up headlights were retained

Right you are. For some reason I thought the RX-7 lost its pop-ups at the same time as the MX-5, but the RX-7 didn't have to because they didn't distribute it in markets that banned pop-ups by the time that change was necessary.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

blk posted:

It makes a hell of a difference in sound levels both inside and out as well.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

If I could get these graphics in a cheap, easily removable sticker I would put them on every car I owned.

Custom printed magnet? Surely a good example of the art is available somewhere.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Right you are. For some reason I thought the RX-7 lost its pop-ups at the same time as the MX-5, but the RX-7 didn't have to because they didn't distribute it in markets that banned pop-ups by the time that change was necessary.

Popups are not banned. Its extremely difficult to make them pass current pedestrian impact safety regulations. Also they are no longer necessary to get around headlight height regulations, which means manufacturers can ditch them for something that is cheaper, simpler, and more reliable.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

I don't know where to start with this one... :bang:

I think my favorite part of this train wreck is the "side pipes".
Or maybe it's just the confused look on the passenger's face.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

A Suzuki Swift Convertible? Those things were soft as butter as a hatch, I hate to think how floppy that thing is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Custom printed magnet? Surely a good example of the art is available somewhere.

You're a very brilliant man. I'm going to make this happen.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

A Suzuki Swift Convertible? Those things were soft as butter as a hatch, I hate to think how floppy that thing is.

Geo Metro convertible. They were very popular here among cheerleaders and sorority girls when they were new. They were very rapidly abandoned during the minivan-inspired safety panics in the mid-90s.

I see maybe one a year and it's always in the same shade of hornet yellow.

I assume Suzuki made convertible ones as well but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an NADM only thing.

edit: Wow, the early Cultus with sealed beams is an attractive little guy. Looks like a Honda City.

edit 2: Canadians also got the Pontiac Firefly and Suzuki Forsa, which were also rebadged Metros, alongside the Chevy Sprint which everyone in NA got. Only the Firefly was available as a convertible. GM's Canada-exclusive cars are quite odd.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 5, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kastein posted:

Here's why

What in the gently caress is going on there? Did they decide to lay the entire electrical/vacuum/HVAC systems on top of the engine for some reason?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Smoke 'em.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
Seen at the same time on the same corner, at the same police station in Queens. Perhaps related?

Cool SHO:

Wrecked NYPD car: (parked on street)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hit an Apex posted:

Wrecked NYPD car: (parked on street)

Even CPR ain't gonna fix that poo poo.

Yeah I got nuthin.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Cakefool posted:

I'd imagine direct injection doesn't help here - I don't think anyone has come up with a DI system that doesn't end up sounding like a clattery old diesel after a few years of usage. My decade old Skyline sounds like poo poo idling even with the plastic covers in place.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I thought that the 2007 Mazdaspeed3 was the first "consumer" car to have direct injection?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

You're a very brilliant man. I'm going to make this happen.

Put them on EVERYTHING.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Phone posted:

I thought that the 2007 Mazdaspeed3 was the first "consumer" car to have direct injection?

The same direct injection they're talking about in this wikipedia article?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Phone posted:

In the UK, it was Mitsubishi, late nineties, don't know about worldwide.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Phone posted:

If that's the case then it would have been the speed6, which was released as a 2006MY with the 2.3 DISI turbo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Das Volk posted:

What in the gently caress is going on there? Did they decide to lay the entire electrical/vacuum/HVAC systems on top of the engine for some reason?

Believe it or not, all that stuff is actually there for easy access/diagnosis and it makes life a lot simpler. There are no vacuum tubes on modern cars (usually one or two at the MOST), all of that is just breather pipe and wiring loom, as well as the fuel piping for the DI and a couple of heater pipes. The amount of stuff really smacks you in the face but if you know what you're looking at, it's very simple and easy. Unlike most of the rest of the car.

Phone posted:

Nah GDI has been around since forever. Mitsubishi paved the way with their atrocious unfixable system in the 90's, now everyone else is doing it not-so-bad.

Lexus have a system with both direct and port injection. The port injection is used at full power, for cold starts and helps to wash carbon out of the ports. The DI is used exclusively when you're in a cruising situation where lean-run can be fully taken advantage of, as well as to more finely control combustion. It's reasonably complex but doesn't tend to gently caress out much.

Also, the IS250 sounds much louder than a GS/LS with the same (but larger) engine. This is purely down to the fact that the IS has less sound-deadening around the DI pump. So yeah that stuff makes an enormous difference; modern port fuel injectors are loving noisy too. You would swear on a modern corolla that the lifters are super noisy, but it's all in the injectors.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Should have specified "non-poo poo direct injection". :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Even then no, VAG have been doing GDI pretty well since the early 00's. The later mitsu systems aren't as terrible, either. They get points for persistence, at least.

It's really a sliding scale, not a sudden "now we have good gdi!" moment accompanied by a jack-in-the-box spring noise. WW2 fighter planes had mechanical GDI IIRC.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
My direct injection makes cricket and clicking noises that never cease to bother me

Plus I always think man is that thing gonna explode? Fuel pump?

Cant complain though, manages to get 260 factory hp out of a 2.0 liter econobox. Even in my short time in cars, when I first started out that was unheard of bullshit.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 6, 2014

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

dissss posted:

I'd imagine direct injection doesn't help here - I don't think anyone has come up with a DI system that doesn't end up sounding like a clattery old diesel after a few years of usage. My decade old Skyline sounds like poo poo idling even with the plastic covers in place.

What's wrong with clattering? I almost wish my TDI had a little more tractor to it. It's almost too drat quiet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Should have specified "non-poo poo direct injection". :v:

Not poo poo, but also not great either.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

What's wrong with clattering? I almost wish my TDI had a little more tractor to it. It's almost too drat quiet.

Come drive mine. It sounds like a midget Cummins.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cakefool posted:

Then the manufacturer should build form-fitting sound dampening material directly into the bonnet so it all lifts out of your way when you open it :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They do. Look under the bonnet of a luxury german car and you'll see it. It simply isn't enough to silence intake yowling and machinegun injectors, you have to have blobs that go everywhere.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Off of a friend's S2000 at a track day. He did a tour through california doing 12 track days in two months. He had spare rotors with him and finished his lap before pitting in to change it out.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Off of a friend's S2000 at a track day. He did a tour through california doing 12 track days in two months. He had spare rotors with him and finished his lap before pitting in to change it out.

Goddamn :stare: How many pad sets did he go through? Is he going to be looking at improving brake ventilation or a rotor upgrade?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Goddamn :stare: How many pad sets did he go through? Is he going to be looking at improving brake ventilation or a rotor upgrade?

I don't think he has any upgrades planned for his brakes and I'm not sure how many sets he went through but probably 3 or 4.

The guy brakes essentially at the absolute last moment and is right on the limit of the tires locking up each time, like he's in a qualifying heat on every track day lap. He was my driving instructor at my first track day recently and is quite skilled, but I'd hate to pay for his maintenance items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
That happens a lot to those cars for some reason. I've also seen an aftermarket brake kit self destruct on a s2k race car. I think maybe the rotors are specced too thin.