Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

bunnielab posted:

How do I edit the properties of items, specifically aliment restrictions? I am running an evil party through BG2 and want to have more items available to me.

Download Nearinfinity and point it to your Chiten.key file. Then just find the relevant item code in either the items or override folder and go to whatever the second tab on the right side of the screen is called. It's been a few years since I've used it so again, can't recall the exact name, but that's where you'll be doing the vast majority of your item editing. You can also edit or add properties and spell effects down at the bottom of that second tab as well, just remember to set the targeting types accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Suspicious posted:

Vampiric wolves will still spawn during the day, somehow. They're also undead so sleep, hold and stuff like that won't work. Damage spells will hurt them just fine, though.

Buy some +1 arrows and bullets. Have someone kite them around while the rest of the party is filling them with said magical ammunition. Easy 2000 xp even for a level 1 party.

At Level 1 the cost of even a few +1 bullets and arrows is all of your gold, though? Doesn't seem worth it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

Download Nearinfinity and point it to your Chiten.key file. Then just find the relevant item code in either the items or override folder and go to whatever the second tab on the right side of the screen is called. It's been a few years since I've used it so again, can't recall the exact name, but that's where you'll be doing the vast majority of your item editing. You can also edit or add properties and spell effects down at the bottom of that second tab as well, just remember to set the targeting types accordingly.

Cool, I will give it a shot. What are the chances it will ruin my game/save if I cock it up? Mostly pissed that I spend 32k on a stupid axe that Korgan can't use.

EDit: That was easy. The modded .itm file in in my \override folder but the changes are not showing up when I load my game. Any ideas here?

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 8, 2014

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Wolfsheim posted:

At Level 1 the cost of even a few +1 bullets and arrows is all of your gold, though? Doesn't seem worth it.

It's only a few hundred gold. I don't see why you need to fight vampiric wolves for early xp when the starter quests should easily get you to level 2 though and leveling up super fast is boring anyway.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

bunnielab posted:

Cool, I will give it a shot. What are the chances it will ruin my game/save if I cock it up? Mostly pissed that I spend 32k on a stupid axe that Korgan can't use.

EDit: That was easy. The modded .itm file in in my \override folder but the changes are not showing up when I load my game. Any ideas here?

Well, make sure you have the proper item first of all. Change the item code and then CLUA Console it in. Secondly, when you say that the changes aren't showing up do you mean the item description? Because the description is unrelated to the actual effects, you need to edit the Dialog.tlk pointer for that. Either by expanding it and pointing it to a new description or just editing the description and not changing the pointer. It should be relatively self explanatory I believe.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

Well, make sure you have the proper item first of all. Change the item code and then CLUA Console it in. Secondly, when you say that the changes aren't showing up do you mean the item description? Because the description is unrelated to the actual effects, you need to edit the Dialog.tlk pointer for that. Either by expanding it and pointing it to a new description or just editing the description and not changing the pointer. It should be relatively self explanatory I believe.

Ah, the CLUA Console bit was what I was missing. The item code is AX1H10, what do I need to do to spawn it? I somehow assumed I could apply the edit to the copy of the item already in my inventory.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm replaying BG1, is there something I'm missing regarding these spells?

Silence 15' Radius - area effect 100% spell casting failure with saves made at -5. Level 2.
Miscast Magic - single target 80% spell casting failure with saves made at -2. Level 3.

I don't think I've ever seen a spellcaster miss their Silence 15' Radius save either, I'm very skeptical of the -5 save adjustment.

I've also discovered that arrows of fire have a secret -2 thac0 bonus.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm replaying BG1, is there something I'm missing regarding these spells?

Silence 15' Radius - area effect 100% spell casting failure with saves made at -5. Level 2.
Miscast Magic - single target 80% spell casting failure with saves made at -2. Level 3.

I don't think I've ever seen a spellcaster miss their Silence 15' Radius save either, I'm very skeptical of the -5 save adjustment.

I've also discovered that arrows of fire have a secret -2 thac0 bonus.

Well, I don't know about BG1, but in BG2 silence is pretty worthless since pretty much every mage has vocalize memorized(and some will cast it even if they don't).

And at least in BG2 the -5 save penalty is certainly present.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

bunnielab posted:

Ah, the CLUA Console bit was what I was missing. The item code is AX1H10, what do I need to do to spawn it? I somehow assumed I could apply the edit to the copy of the item already in my inventory.

Uh, should just be CLUAConsole:CreateItem("AX1H10"). Mind you, if you modify the .itm file then it should automatically apply to the item in your inventory, regardless of whether or not you created a new version of it. Check in your override folder to make sure nothing is, uh, overriding it?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Okay, the Shadow Dragon is surprisingly irritating when you didn't bring in Greater Malison or traps to gimp him with. I wound up having to get creative. Protection from Evil on everyone, Neera Reckless summoned a Cacofiend next to him...which Wild Surged to two Cacofiends who started beating each other up. So I ran over and spoke to the dragon to get him hostile, ran away. He started picking on the Cacofiends, that kept him busy enough for Neera to get in three Lower Resists and a Remove Magic, then I was able to beat him to death. Fun stuff.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DeathChicken posted:

Okay, the Shadow Dragon is surprisingly irritating when you didn't bring in Greater Malison or traps to gimp him with. I wound up having to get creative. Protection from Evil on everyone, Neera Reckless summoned a Cacofiend next to him...which Wild Surged to two Cacofiends who started beating each other up. So I ran over and spoke to the dragon to get him hostile, ran away. He started picking on the Cacofiends, that kept him busy enough for Neera to get in three Lower Resists and a Remove Magic, then I was able to beat him to death. Fun stuff.

I Vorpal Sworded him on the first hit :v:.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
I thought of something today, regarding BG2, and that thought left me very sad. There are so many mods for the game, yet the one thing I've always wanted, expanded dual/multi-class options is never going to happen. I just want to try out a stalker-bard dual class...

... or, as it's known by it's true name, the Fighter/Mage/Thief that gains levels according to the Rogue EXP table. :unsmigghh:

So anyway, I'm about to do something stupid, that is to say, I'm going to try a BGEE run with full SCS installed, perhaps on insanity? How sharp of an increase in challenge, compared to say, a solo no-reload run, should I be expecting? I'm thinking of maybe aiming for no-reload here as well, though that's probably not going to happen. I'll probably downgrade to "if you die, you may reload the game tomorrow" or some other challenge like that, so at least I'll play honest.

edit: ahahaha, oh my god, Carbos gets the assassin kit in SCS! Poisoned weapon? Yup, that was my first death right there. There's actually no way for a first level character to survive from that, as far as I can tell, so you better not get hit at all if you want to live!

verybad fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 8, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

verybad posted:

I thought of something today, regarding BG2, and that thought left me very sad. There are so many mods for the game, yet the one thing I've always wanted, expanded dual/multi-class options is never going to happen. I just want to try out a stalker-bard dual class...

... or, as it's known by it's true name, the Fighter/Mage/Thief that gains levels according to the Rogue EXP table. :unsmigghh:

Not understanding how x3 backstab makes a bard so much better. Otherwise all that gets added is HP.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

amanasleep posted:

Not understanding how x3 backstab makes a bard so much better. Otherwise all that gets added is HP.

Warrior APR and THAC0, free dual wielding, stealth. With mislead and improved haste running, you've got 10 APR, x3 damage, +4 dmg/hit from enhanced bard song. Dualing at ranger 13 would be completely viable even with a party since bards enjoy such a fast level progression.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
^Is Stalker to Bard a valid Dual? I think Bard is a single class only thing.

verybad posted:

So anyway, I'm about to do something stupid, that is to say, I'm going to try a BGEE run with full SCS installed, perhaps on insanity? How sharp of an increase in challenge, compared to say, a solo no-reload run, should I be expecting? I'm thinking of maybe aiming for no-reload here as well, though that's probably not going to happen. I'll probably downgrade to "if you die, you may reload the game tomorrow" or some other challenge like that, so at least I'll play honest.

edit: ahahaha, oh my god, Carbos gets the assassin kit in SCS! Poisoned weapon? Yup, that was my first death right there. There's actually no way for a first level character to survive from that, as far as I can tell, so you better not get hit at all if you want to live!

I'm in the middle of a solo SCS run now with a Berserker, which is by far the easiest solo in BG1 imo. Immunity to most debuffs is enormous. Not sure what class you want to use, but I've got a few general bits of advice.

1. The Shield amulet is definitely your best friend, immunity to Magic Missile is HUGE in BG1, if there's a mage fight coming up, use it. It lasts 5 minutes real time, more than enough time to kill any mage.

2. Kahrk is an absolute monster with SCS, probably the hardest fight in the game. I'd avoid it in a no-reload personally.

3. Silke is not worth fighting in a solo SCS run imo. 900 exp and the low quality loot is not enough to justify the hassle.

4. An obvious one, but sell everything worth anything that you don't need. Letting Drizz't get killed by the gnolls while you watch, invisible is hugely profitable.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 8, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So I take it there's no keeping Mazzy and Hexxat in the same group? Even Keldorn could be talked down, but it seems Mazzy can't.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Ilyich posted:

No. :mad:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ilyich posted:

You can't even get it to work using Shadow/EEKeeper, either. It's easy to do illegal class/race combinations and add kits to multiclasses, but you're poo poo out of luck for making a sorceror, bard, monk etc multi or dual. For example, a multiclassed Half-Orc Stalker/Cleric is simple to make, but you couldn't do Sorceror/Fighter of any type.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

verybad posted:

Warrior APR and THAC0, free dual wielding, stealth. With mislead and improved haste running, you've got 10 APR, x3 damage, +4 dmg/hit from enhanced bard song. Dualing at ranger 13 would be completely viable even with a party since bards enjoy such a fast level progression.

But Bards don't get the Assassination HLA, so the x3 backstab is mostly meaningless. Aside from that and extra early proficiencies and HP, there isn't much that this gets you that a Blade or F/M/T doesn't already get. Both of those can get the same APR and Thac0 as your combo (because Dual classing at 13 only gets you 8 Thac0 max vs. Blade max Thac0 8 with Offensive Spin or F/M/T max of Thac0 zero).

My dream illegal dual class is Assassin -> Druid.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

amanasleep posted:

But Bards don't get the Assassination HLA, so the x3 backstab is mostly meaningless. Aside from that and extra early proficiencies and HP, there isn't much that this gets you that a Blade or F/M/T doesn't already get. Both of those can get the same APR and Thac0 as your combo (because Dual classing at 13 only gets you 8 Thac0 max vs. Blade max Thac0 8 with Offensive Spin or F/M/T max of Thac0 zero).

My dream illegal dual class is Assassin -> Druid.

Bards get Mislead, x3 backstabs with Mislead and fighter APR are far from meaningless. Yeah, it's not that much different from an F/M/T, except that you would level up a poo poo ton faster and you get to pick all your HLAs from the Thief/Bard pool. Offensive Spin got nerfed in EE (though you can still reach 9 APR if you dual wield speed weapons and wear the gauntlets I think) and F/M/T max fighter level is 18 (Base 3 THAC0), which it reaches at 7.5 million exp. For comparison, bards get two level 6 spells at level 18, so you could start doing the Mislead/IH combo around ~3.2 million exp. You're right though, in that it would play a lot like an F/M/T, but it's still something I would like to try. I kind of sort of really like it not just for the mechanics, though, but for RP reasons too.

Why assassin -> druid, though? Stealthy shapeshifting bear with poison attack?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Wolfsheim posted:

Hey, still early game, just trounced the Nashkel mines jerk and now I'm milling about the wilderness doing sidequests and exploring. It's kinda funny that the mine boss fight took one try and was pretty easy compared to the ambush topside, which had me reloading like a dozen times (and even then, I couldn't make it through without Minsc getting his poo poo wrecked every time).

Kind of a newbie question, but how do I deal with vampiric wolves? None of my ranged weapons work, and when I try to walk up and hit them with any of my +1 or +2 melee weapons they incapacitate and then murder me. They also don't seem affected by hold person, sleep, or any of my other tricks. I know BG2 is all about resistances and all, but this is a party of Level 3 and 4 scrubs we're talking about :saddowns:

BGEE makes this very easy to do even at level 1.

1.) Take Imoen's Oil of Speed. Take Montaron's too, if you're playing an evil party that's willing to take them along. Alternately, just be a barbarian and have inherently higher movespeed.
2.) Go to Beregost and purchase the way-too-cheap +1 throwing axes
3.) Give the axes to someone who can use them, preferably with high strength and dex (Khalid comes with axe proficiency, Kagain with axe specialization, Kivan has neither but a very high strength and dex)
4.) Give that person the oil of speed and have them toss axes at vampiric wolves until they die. There are 2 on the Beregost Temple map and it's a great source of 4k xp. Throwing axes and daggers use BOTH the dex and str bonus to determine to-hit, and applies the str bonus to damage, so you can really beat the hell out of things quickly.

If you're just running into them generically, kiting them down works--but that works for every enemy in the game.

Anyway, the throwing axe+beregost wolf thing is probably going to get added to speed runs going forward; I've not seen another way as safe as that to gather so much xp in so short a time.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

verybad posted:

Bards get Mislead, x3 backstabs with Mislead and fighter APR are far from meaningless. Yeah, it's not that much different from an F/M/T, except that you would level up a poo poo ton faster and you get to pick all your HLAs from the Thief/Bard pool. Offensive Spin got nerfed in EE (though you can still reach 9 APR if you dual wield speed weapons and wear the gauntlets I think) and F/M/T max fighter level is 18 (Base 3 THAC0), which it reaches at 7.5 million exp. For comparison, bards get two level 6 spells at level 18, so you could start doing the Mislead/IH combo around ~3.2 million exp. You're right though, in that it would play a lot like an F/M/T, but it's still something I would like to try. I kind of sort of really like it not just for the mechanics, though, but for RP reasons too.

Why assassin -> druid, though? Stealthy shapeshifting bear with poison attack?

Poisoned Fire Seeds.

Edit: All of your fast level advantage with Stalker -> Bard would be after reaching ~3 million xp, because before then the F/M/T is straight up superior in every meaningful way. At the start of BG2 FMT has all abilities instead of just being a vanilla Stalker. at 1.5 Million XP the Stalker has +3 Thac0, some HP and proficiencies, and +1/2 attack on the FMT but then throws away the attacks to do low level Bard stuff for the next 880k XP. By the time abilities come back at 2.38 Million the FMT just got Level 6 spells. S -> B will get 2 of them for a brief period before the FMT (and Skeleton Warriors earlier too, probably a better advantage), but will be really behind after that because at 3 million XP the FMT gets HLA broken combos. S-> B doesn't get the first HLA until 4.5 million XP.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 8, 2014

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Christ why don't you just wait until you can kill it or avoid it?

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

So, after my first attempt at no-reload SCS BG1 on insane ended to me being unceremoniously shanked by Carbos, I decided to drop the no-reload part. To keep myself honest, I decided to end the gaming session whenever I'd die, and restrict myself to loading only from auto-saves and saves made when exiting the game. So with these new rules, I embarked on my journey... and died to Shank. Time to do some dishes, I think.

amanasleep posted:

Poisoned Fire Seeds.

:aaaaa:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is Baldurs Gate 2 EE any good? I'm pretty happy with BG1 EE, but I heard that 2 had some bugs on release. Did they ever work those out?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Robo Reagan posted:

Is Baldurs Gate 2 EE any good? I'm pretty happy with BG1 EE, but I heard that 2 had some bugs on release. Did they ever work those out?

The only notable bugs right now that I'm aware of are the Slayer form being kind of hosed up, you can only use it once and then you never get it back.

Also sometimes Watcher's Keep doesn't show up on the map but eh, CLUAConsole:MoveToArea. No big deal.

I'm pretty happy with the EE so far.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Robo Reagan posted:

One thing I've noticed is that the journal entries for the quests of the new NPCs are sort of screwed up. You can still do the quests, but some entries don't update properly, especially in ToB.

I also had that problem with Keldorn trying constantly to initiate a conversation, but that was solved by just visiting the government district. (Never noticed the Slayer bug because I didn't use it once.)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
So I am trying to do Dorn's quest in BG2 and the second quest has me stumped. I am at the temple of Helm in the Bridge District but the dude I am to see isnt showing up, anyone know what I am talking about?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Has there been any word from Oster or on their site as to when the first BG2EE patch might drop? I'm about done with BG1EE.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Playing BG1, just completed the bandit camp and ran into a fuckton of ankhegs at that farm west of their camp, but can't turn In any of the shells to that blacksmith anymore? Is this a glitch or a feature? And if so, doesn't that render the goddamn heavy things useless?

Also stumbled into Viconia, but is it just me or are her stats pretty weak compared to Branwen? She can't even equip the higher end armors or shields due to her ridiculously low strength, and I don't see how her high dexterity would help all that much? Or am I using her wrong?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

You can't turn in the shells after he crafts the armor, which I believe has always been the case.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You can still sell them for 250gp a piece to the merchant in Feldepost's Inn.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Also stumbled into Viconia, but is it just me or are her stats pretty weak compared to Branwen? She can't even equip the higher end armors or shields due to her ridiculously low strength, and I don't see how her high dexterity would help all that much? Or am I using her wrong?

Higher dexterity means better ranged THAC0, and I think she has higher WIS score as well, so she gets more spells, too. She makes for a better backline caster, basically.

Oh and she gets 50% magic resist which is pretty nice.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

bunnielab posted:

So I am trying to do Dorn's quest in BG2 and the second quest has me stumped. I am at the temple of Helm in the Bridge District but the dude I am to see isnt showing up, anyone know what I am talking about?

He's in the back room, not where he normally stands, when you do that part of the quest.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

epitasis posted:

You can't turn in the shells after he crafts the armor, which I believe has always been the case.
In EE I was able to give him more shells for 500 gp each after he had finished crafting one set of plate. He won't craft a second set.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone have suggestions for a 6th for BG:EE?

I have: My Characther (Fighter/Mage), Neera(Wild Mage), Imoen (Thief), Viconia (Cleric), Dorn (Blackguard).

I am looking for a 6th, any suggestions?

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

UberJumper posted:

I have: My Characther (Fighter/Mage), Neera(Wild Mage), Imoen (Thief), Viconia (Cleric), Dorn (Blackguard).

For an evilish party I would say Kagain would give you a better front line.

If you don't plan to dual Imoen you could also grab Eldoth and swap her for Skie.

Ulvino fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 9, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

UberJumper posted:

Kagain, unquestionably. Dorn uses 2H weapons and has poor HP so can't tank very well. Your F/M certainly could but it seems like a waste of spell slots.

Kagain, on the other hand, can grab the gauntlets of dex and cursed hill giant girdle and wreck poo poo. Then regenerate all his health.

...actually I'd probably just give him Bentley's Buckler for good measure.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Alright i will add Kagain, i honestly wasn't going for an evil party. Its just that Dorn is pretty decent as a characther, so was Viconia.

Also uhhh, so i kicked out minsc and dynatheir went with him, this was a long time ago (in the area where you recruit dorn). Where exactly do they go? I am pretty sure Minsc has a bunch of quest items, and some good gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

UberJumper posted:

Alright i will add Kagain, i honestly wasn't going for an evil party. Its just that Dorn is pretty decent as a characther, so was Viconia.

Also uhhh, so i kicked out minsc and dynatheir went with him, this was a long time ago (in the area where you recruit dorn). Where exactly do they go? I am pretty sure Minsc has a bunch of quest items, and some good gear.

Uh...I think they may be gone. Don't you get Dorn in a transitional area?

I think only the new BG characters return to a set location; the others either gently caress off forever or wait right where you left 'em. BG2 fixed this.