Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

TWBalls posted:

or those skeezy drive through places with scantily clad ladies. Not that I don't like seeing scantily clad ladies, but I'm going for a good cup of coffee, not to ogle women.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > More poo poo that pisses you off: scantily clad ladies

I don't drink coffee at all, but I would if it was served by a scantily clad lady. I'm not going to lie: I will always promote a business that has scantily clad ladies doing things. But I am a pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Starbucks way loving overroasts. It's nauseating.
They have to in order for the coffee to be noticeable in the 22oz milkshakes that 90% of their customers buy. I've been to a couple of their roasting plants and I'd take the smell of a commercial pig farm over that odar anyday.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 7, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You're an idiot.

No, I'm pretty sure it's you. :smug:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Up in the north seattle area the scantilly cladness escalated over a short period of time to pasties before law got involved.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How does that even work? Are they really dark coffee shops or is it just scantily clad people in a normal coffee shop for the hell of it?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Caged posted:

How does that even work? Are they really dark coffee shops or is it just scantily clad people in a normal coffee shop for the hell of it?
They're like any drive-through espresso stand on the side of the road but the "baristas" are scantily-clad. Like this: http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2010/01/08/your-tax-dollars-hard-at-nsfw (NSFW obviously)

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I miss good mexican, the central valley was always good for that.

No, he's not. Starbucks way loving overroasts. It's nauseating.

Starbucks is basically responsible for coffee culture in North America, even though some of their their coffees are overroasted, and "Charbucks" is some Micro$$$oft level poo poo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Starbucks is basically responsible for coffee culture in North America, even though some of their their coffees are overroasted, and "Charbucks" is some Micro$$$oft level poo poo.

Yeah, I have to agree. I love me some coffee, but I'll drink a venti mocha because sometimes I just want a chocolate coffee near-milkshake :shobon:

For content, my first day of work as a Googler was today! :toot:

And then around 3:30 I was done with orientation (for the day) and got to meet my coworkers, and apparently I'm going to be doing server-side development instead of iOS? :confuoot:

And then I find out that there's an on-call rotation :stare:

It's me, I'm the one who's upset about his pod not having a diamond crusted shell.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So wait, they've done the switcharoo with the job description?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

bizwank posted:

They're like any drive-through espresso stand on the side of the road but the "baristas" are scantily-clad. Like this: http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2010/01/08/your-tax-dollars-hard-at-nsfw (NSFW obviously)

Also for context, the espresso stand predates the bikini barista by a long margin, and there are still plenty that just have fully dressed people working there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Volmarias posted:

And then around 3:30 I was done with orientation (for the day) and got to meet my coworkers, and apparently I'm going to be doing server-side development instead of iOS? :confuoot:

And then I find out that there's an on-call rotation :stare:
Most SaaS shops have an on-call rotation for developers. It's a remarkably effective way of keeping devs from just throwing undocumented, log-less poo poo code over the wall to operations. Back when I worked for Time Inc., we had more devs on-call than sysadmins at any given time (though they got called a lot less).

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Nah, Micro$oft is generally used by people who ignore the obvious better or available solution over the more obscure one because they're the user/admin version of before it was cool hipsters. Charbucks is actually a play on the fact that they roast heavily. Plus, there's generally ALWAYS a better coffee solution out there, and generally just as readily available.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Nah, Micro$oft is generally used by people who ignore the obvious better or available solution over the more obscure one because they're the user/admin version of before it was cool hipsters. Charbucks is actually a play on the fact that they roast heavily. Plus, there's generally ALWAYS a better coffee solution out there, and generally just as readily available.

And "Micro$oft" is a play on their software costing money. They're both incredibly stupid puns used by "before it was cool hipsters" as you've literally just described them both identically. Good on Starbucks for creating such a coffee culture and supplanting tobacco in IT because god drat is chewing tobacco some disgusting poo poo (ran into several coworkers doing it today for the first time since I've been there).

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

keseph posted:

And "Micro$oft" is a play on their software costing money. They're both incredibly stupid puns used by "before it was cool hipsters" as you've literally just described them both identically. Good on Starbucks for creating such a coffee culture and supplanting tobacco in IT because god drat is chewing tobacco some disgusting poo poo (ran into several coworkers doing it today for the first time since I've been there).

In all fairness to the argument, the above mentioned nude coffee stand is 2.4 miles from my house.

I have never been there.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Tea is taking over my shop; while your coffee leaves you bitter, our teas shall refresh and invigorate :11tea:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Caged posted:

So wait, they've done the switcharoo with the job description?

Not exactly but sort of. Google decides to hire you, then you interview different groups and see where you will fit best. The group I chose said that I would be doing iPhone, but turns out they needed me for something else instead.

It's not too big a deal since I haven't actually done iPhone Dev before (5 years of Android though), but the fact that I have to deal with being on call is always annoying and I thought I was getting away from it.

All things considered, it's not that big a deal and I'm not going to quit over it or anything.

Misogynist posted:

Most SaaS shops have an on-call rotation for developers. It's a remarkably effective way of keeping devs from just throwing undocumented, log-less poo poo code over the wall to operations. Back when I worked for Time Inc., we had more devs on-call than sysadmins at any given time (though they got called a lot less).

Yeah, it's a great idea, and objectively I support it. It just stinks since I thought I was getting away from it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I miss lots of meth and people getting shot all the time for no reason plus all of the insanity that is Fresno, the central valley was always good for that.

No, he's not. Starbucks way loving overroasts. It's nauseating.

Ah but he's from the central valley. Ergo, idiot.

:smug:

But yes, the drivers around here are the worst. I'm from Boston, therefore I'm theoretically a Masshole, but drivers in Boston, while aggressive, are also considerate and get the gently caress out of your way. The fucknuggets here sit in the left lane going 60 and refuse to move. I wish for hood-mounted rocket launchers on a daily basis.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bizwank posted:

I am going to go ahead and, at the risk of being a coffee snob, suggest that the coffee there isn't of the highest quality.

And I am not entirely convinced that it's especially hygienic, either.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Thats it, gently caress it, i'm mentioning something about admin again. I have 7 tickets already, let me loving clear them and stop assigning me calls because you don't want to introduce yourself to other members of the team :argh: Clearly the other guys have more free time because they're always taking smoke breaks anyway.

All today has been is me trying (and failing) to fix existing problems because i keep getting phoned up and told to take a call for someone who's on hold and waiting and they can't possibly wait any longer which means I get halfway through finishing a ticket, get taken away from it and then I have to spend more time finding out where the hell i was before.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
I was in the same boat as you until I switched jobs/got my poo poo together, I believe I posted a thread in E/N about it. The people there gave me some really great tips which might help you as well. First and foremost is there a ticketing system in place? If so why aren't admin using the ticketing system properly?

If there are SLAs in place, and the ticket shows the SLA as being either 'good' or 'bad', use that to your advantage. Explain to the admin who's trying to pass a call off to you that you're dealing with another, more serious issue and you can't take the call. One thing to remember is that *it is not your fault* if someone has been on hold for 5 seconds longer than they expected. They will have to deal with it. A good helpdesk/sysadmin (Or anyone, I guess) can prioritise as needed and explain to people why their issue is not high priority.

It'll be tricky to be assertive at first but eventually the admin team will get the message. Document any time someone tries to pass a ticket onto you (And not someone with a lesser workload) so if you have to take it up with either the management of the admin team or your own management, you can back it up with solid evidence.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Guess what? In an attempt to polish the turd, Intel is rebranding McAfee to Intel Security, effective immediately.

John McAfee posted:

I am now everlastingly grateful to Intel for freeing me from this terrible association with the worst software on the planet. These are not my words, but the words of millions of irate users.

My elation at Intel's decision is beyond words.

:v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

I was in the same boat as you until I switched jobs/got my poo poo together, I believe I posted a thread in E/N about it. The people there gave me some really great tips which might help you as well. First and foremost is there a ticketing system in place? If so why aren't admin using the ticketing system properly?

If there are SLAs in place, and the ticket shows the SLA as being either 'good' or 'bad', use that to your advantage. Explain to the admin who's trying to pass a call off to you that you're dealing with another, more serious issue and you can't take the call. One thing to remember is that *it is not your fault* if someone has been on hold for 5 seconds longer than they expected. They will have to deal with it. A good helpdesk/sysadmin (Or anyone, I guess) can prioritize as needed and explain to people why their issue is not high priority.

It'll be tricky to be assertive at first but eventually the admin team will get the message. Document any time someone tries to pass a ticket onto you (And not someone with a lesser workload) so if you have to take it up with either the management of the admin team or your own management, you can back it up with solid evidence.

Yeah, we have a ticketing system. In fact, its a fairly decent one, it shows how many tickets a person has, work logs, etc. Much better than the volunteer places I worked (pretty much a spreadsheet with a "done" box). They do have access to it. I just don't think they're realizing that they should use it before passing it through. I'm getting better at saying "no, i'm busy, give it to someone else" but when i'm on a call, I have to help them there and then, I can't just take a message and get around to it because its not "high priority". I can do it to internal staff, but the majority of work is external users with issues.

I guess i'm just going to have to keep mentioning it and refusing to take calls until i've got some breathing room until they get there, like you said.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
MSTPMO: I had two emails from the same sender. I started viewing them on my iPhone, I then remoted into my office PC and attempted to view the emails from Outlook and then in a flash of unexplainableness the emails just went away before my eyes. I saw it on both devices. I've searched everything and everywhere and the Exchange delivery log doesn't even show them as coming being delivered in the first place. I feel like I'm hallucinating.

edit: Found the emails in my gmail account folder on my iPhone. Not sure how I did that one.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 7, 2014

Saikonate
Jun 23, 2007
Naysayer
Fun Shoe

Volmarias posted:

Not exactly but sort of. Google decides to hire you, then you interview different groups and see where you will fit best. The group I chose said that I would be doing iPhone, but turns out they needed me for something else instead.

You may be aware already, but the important thing is that you are 'in' - you passed all the technical hurdles and they made you an offer. It's really easy to move around within the company once you're to that point, so if the initial placement isn't your cup of tea, you can almost always switch teams after a pretty short period of time. I was lucky enough to get my first choice of team here, but if I hadn't, like you I don't think I'd be too bothered by it.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
poo poo that soon won't be pissing me off daily... after almost 2 hours of negotiating, our contractor (the closest thing we have to a greybeard, only without the beard, and soon his own brewpub) has convinced the bosslady to upgrade the domain from 2003 to 2008 r2. We meet tomorrow to discuss what needs to happen and I am excited :woop:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
AT&T

I'm starting to understand why our AT&T service manager threw up a little in her mouth when I mentioned we were going over to IP Flex.

We've got our Lync environment set up, and our SIP trunks are online and functioning. Now it's something easy like porting phone numbers from AT&T PRIs to AT&T IP Flex. Well, it was supposed to be easy. The order manager hosed up the port order and then the entire AT&T support/order team disappeared. Our AT&T product and service managers are screaming at anyone in AT&T that might be able to listen, but they're getting no response from anyone.

All my deadlines are shot, the execs are tearing my boss to pieces, and all AT&T can say is :iiam:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Saikonate posted:

You may be aware already, but the important thing is that you are 'in' - you passed all the technical hurdles and they made you an offer. It's really easy to move around within the company once you're to that point, so if the initial placement isn't your cup of tea, you can almost always switch teams after a pretty short period of time. I was lucky enough to get my first choice of team here, but if I hadn't, like you I don't think I'd be too bothered by it.

Yeah, this was emphasized by a few people at various levels so I'm sure it's no real big deal, it was just kind of a shock is all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Linksys you sons of bitches....

Apparently SG300 switches will just... stop passing traffic. Soft reboots won't fix it but a proper reload will. This is pissing me off because I'm not an iOS CLI guy (yet) and I didn't loving know that.

They just stop. :iiam:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

hihifellow posted:

poo poo that soon won't be pissing me off daily... after almost 2 hours of negotiating, our contractor (the closest thing we have to a greybeard, only without the beard, and soon his own brewpub) has convinced the bosslady to upgrade the domain from 2003 to 2008 r2. We meet tomorrow to discuss what needs to happen and I am excited :woop:
You're upgrading to an operating system that's already two versions behind the current one? :raise:

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

dogstile posted:

Lucky gits, since Christmas my workplace is surrounded by flooded roads and you have to either wade up or go down with a pretty drat strong current, depending on which way you want to come in. I haven't had a dry day for so long :smith:

Stay out of flood waters! If you get a cut you'll know about it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hihifellow posted:

I wish we could upgrade to 2008r2 from 2008. Our domain is name its not name.com or name. or name.lan just name. I, I don't even know. We have licenses for 2012 but apparently rebuilding the domain is "too much work"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Misogynist posted:

You're upgrading to an operating system that's already two versions behind the current one? :raise:
If you're still on Server 2003 literally a decade after it came out, 2008r2 isn't so bad.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

We just moved to 2008R2 from 2003. Baby steps.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Misogynist posted:

Healthcare IT, so we're ahead of the curve there :v:

I'll bring it up tomorrow but she'll want concrete benefits of the upgrade beyond "not dealing with an EOL operating system on the DCs as quickly". There's no plans to bring Win8 into the environment, especially since we're just getting to upgrading to Win7 now, so that cuts down on a lot of benefits.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

I still know a good amount of people not upgrading to 2012r2 because metro, and dcpromo doesn't work so how can you build a domain controller?????

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, i'm going to be bitched out today. Got dressed in the dark and didn't realise until I sat at my desk that i'm wearing jeans. We're meant to be wearing smart clothes and they don't count. Why we have to dress smart for customers that never see us i'll never know :shrug:

Yes, I am feeling dumb right now, why do you ask?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

See, that's where its weird, here if we do work that will get our clothes dirty, we're allowed to wear jeans. Said work is always performed in front of customers because it'll be at their sites. I feel for you though, getting your smart clothes dirty is annoying as hell because it really shows.

Edit: I feel like its worth mentioning that when I said customers never see us, I mean its not like they have a video feed to the helpdesk room. Said work done in front of customers is always weekend and out of our office. The clothes rules only seem to apply in the office.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 8, 2014

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

dogstile posted:

Well, i'm going to be bitched out today. Got dressed in the dark and didn't realise until I sat at my desk that i'm wearing jeans. We're meant to be wearing smart clothes and they don't count. Why we have to dress smart for customers that never see us i'll never know :shrug:

Yes, I am feeling dumb right now, why do you ask?

'sup buddy who can't wear reasonable clothing. We're not allowed jeans, and we don't even have "customers" per se who can see us. My job also includes supporting a warehouse which means getting your business casual filthy every time you have to go down there and fix anything. If your environment requires wearing a reflective safety vest on visits, you don't need to be wearing khakis or dress pants.

less than three fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 8, 2014

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I can wear jeans in my office only on Friday's and only if I pay $2* to buy this dumb sticker. It's "optional" but if you don't do it our new VP comes around with a pack of stickers and peer pressures you into buying one. The price went up from $1 on the first of the year so I've decided to just stop paying and wait for the inevitable confrontation I'm going to have with her.

*The money goes to a charity so maybe it makes me a miser to not pay. But sorry, I feel incredibly underpaid as it is, I'm not giving you $104 of my money to wear jeans.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

I am about to go to work in sweatpants. Thank Dog no one ever sees me in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Jedi425 posted:

I am about to go to work in sweatpants. Thank Dog no one ever sees me in person.

I man the walk-in helpdesk for everyone from the CEO to the janitors, I have to work in our storage area stacking boxes that come in from offshore oilrigs, and I have to crawl on the floor to plug in the cables they kick out. Collared golfshirt and jeans it is, all day every day.