Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Someone ordered an Optiplex 3010... With a loving single core Celeron (1.9Ghz) and a single 2GB stick of RAM. I feel sorry for the poor bastard that gets this slow piece of poo poo. We can order stuff up to $500. before having to get it approved for capital. We've ordered at minimum, the same box but with a dual core 2.6Ghz Pentium. What the gently caress?

Thankfully, it's not for something like PACS, but it is going to have McAfee and our lovely SSO program. Both of which are known resource hogs. I think I'd rather have given him a 755, which is a C2D 2.33Ghz and 4GB of RAM.

***edit***
Oh, god. The image still hasn't finished deploying. So drat slow. Why the hell are Celerons still a thing?

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Support jockeys - how many tickets would you say you typically have in your name at any given time? I'm especially curious about Tier 1/2 types.

I work for a smaller company, with 4 guys in support. We usually clear around 25-50 tickets/day/support tech. We don't usually have a bunch hanging on, as most issues are 5-10 minute fixes (sometimes less). Anything that requires dev intervention goes to them. So I average 125-250 tickets per week (sometimes less, sometimes more). This is supporting roughly 500 clients with a weekday average of 2000 users online at any given time (web-based product). Most tickets are more "how do I do" versus "fixing" though, so it skews the numbers.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

hihifellow posted:

poo poo that soon won't be pissing me off daily... after almost 2 hours of negotiating, our contractor (the closest thing we have to a greybeard, only without the beard, and soon his own brewpub) has convinced the bosslady to upgrade the domain from 2003 to 2008 r2. We meet tomorrow to discuss what needs to happen and I am excited :woop:

Why not 2012 R2?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Potato Alley posted:

Why not 2012 R2?

We actually discussed that today and it turns out everyone was interested in going 2012 r2; so now we have it running on a VM along with instructions to find a reason why we shouldn't, and if no one can come up with a good reason we're moving forward with upgrading the domain controllers to 2012.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Some of my co-workers are in shorts and a t-shirt with sneakers. Another one is wearing a waistcoat.

IT workers are weird.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Support jockeys - how many tickets would you say you typically have in your name at any given time? I'm especially curious about Tier 1/2 types.

I'm tier 2. I'd say 0-4.

*looks at total department open tickets* 2 total for 4 people (though that's quite low. Normally we have about 8-10 open for the 4 of us.)

Of course we have other work to do when there are no tickets, so it's not like we're not busy.

The other tier 2 group has about 20 currently between 4 people.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

hihifellow posted:

poo poo that soon won't be pissing me off daily... after almost 2 hours of negotiating, our contractor (the closest thing we have to a greybeard, only without the beard, and soon his own brewpub) has convinced the bosslady to upgrade the domain from 2003 to 2008 r2. We meet tomorrow to discuss what needs to happen and I am excited :woop:

The AD team is finally upgrading our other domain controller to 2008 (not R2). The domain itself is still running in Windows 2000 mode.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
The dress code at my last job was pretty much "don't be naked." I think we did have some sort of written dress code at some point, but since the corporate office was in another state, no one cared as long as you weren't literally coming to work in nothing but your underwear or something. I usually wore a henley and jeans every day, and it was awesome.

Sadly, my current company is old-school and grudgingly has a "business casual" dress code for the non-managers in the IT office. The corporate HQ building is pretty much suit-and-tie only; I don't even think they like it when we IT slobs wander into there in our khakis and polos to reboot servers in the data center, but they like their applications being down even less, so they manage to restrain themselves from actually throwing us out. :v: They only just started a "casual Friday" in IT where they allow jeans (but not sneakers or shirts without collars). Before that, you could occasionally buy jeans days with donations to the United Way (which I never did because I don't care for the United Way and don't really care that much about wearing jeans).

I get by barely skirting the dress code with Carhartt polos, Dockers, and some New Balance Dunhams that technically count as dress shoes but are basically black leather sneakers (and comfortable as hell). Hell if I'm going to ever wear a tie to work. I think I wore one to my interview, but I don't even remember where it is now. :v:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Tier 2, I have approximately 15 to 20 at any given time. It used to be 30-40 but we expanded like crazy and made a lot of our ticketing processes more efficient.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

mewse posted:

But taking casual friday and attaching a fee to it? Is the idea that you'll let your staff dress down but don't want to encourage it or anything? Oh, it's for charity? gently caress you.

It's one of those things that is screwing with people for no reason.

My wife used to work at a place that had 'casual Friday but you have to pay' and she didn't really feel any love for the company so she just wore her normal work clothes and when the receptionist came around each Friday to collect the $2 fee from everyone my wife would politely decline and explain that she prefers to wear business clothes to work.

After a couple of weeks of this my wife ended up getting a stern talking-to from her manager about not being a team player and needing to make more of an effort to be a part of the 'office culture'.

At this same job her manager and the people in her team would go out for lunch 'as a team' at least 1-2 times a week and insist that my wife come and pay ~$20 for lunch at a sit-down restaurant despite her explaining that she simply couldn't afford it, especially not multiple times a week. When she continued to refuse they offered to loan her the money for lunch until the next payday and she had to bluntly explain that she didn't want to waste half her paycheck each month on lunch and had no desire to be close friends with any of her colleagues. The team would also go out for after-work drinks at least once or more a week and if my wife did not go her manager would chastise her in the office the next day for being boring and unfun and her colleagues would basically bully her for not being a crazy party animal.

Unsurprisingly she didn't spend too long at that job and she's much happier for leaving. Forced 'office culture' and 'fun' are the worst things in business.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'll never understand why some people don't realize that one works to get paid. I'm glad your wife was able to find a better employer.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
Things that are pissing me off: office politics.

We just had to fire a bunch of contractors who were actually pretty decent at their jobs because of a stupid intra-office powergrab by someone who thinks they should be running the IT department.

The decision to go along with this will end up costing us a bunch of money, and we will have to do our windows 7 rollout at the last minute, as a screaming emergency, because people do not understand what happens when you flush 6 months of planning and prep work down the toilet because you can't stand that someone else is actually doing a thing.

I really like my job, but jesus loving christ this place sometimes.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I used to have approximately 10-20 tickets in my name at any given time when I worked the helpdesk on T1 T2 support, moved over to the hardware desk that dropped to about 7-10 build out cases at any given time, and now I'm working primarily in Visio for client onboarding whilse still running the hardware desk. I'm moved around a bunch, but find it very refreshing to change up my core work tasks sometimes for a few months.

I'm still responsible for various helpdesk tickets and cases (Maybe about 5-10 at a time)but a lot of my core day is spent diagramming, compiling field assessment notes, speaking with account managers, getting configurations, pulling reports in PS and such.

I'm worried that my tech bite might be atrophying though.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013
poo poo that's pissing me off right now;

Customers who have been delegated to log a case with us by someone else. They almost always have nowhere near the information we need to resolve the issue so they end up having to harass the person who asked them to log the issue originally. Hence wasting everyone's time when the issue could have been resolved in <10 minutes had the original customer logged the case in the first place.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Right now I have about 50. One of the guys next to me has 70. So we've got those tickets, and we're also the front-line people who answer all the calls that come in.

There are - in theory - six of us, plus our team lead, in the software company's customer support department where I work. But our team lead doesn't really have time to work many tickets (I don't hold this against him) and one of the other guys has basically converted into QA, they just haven't moved him yet. So there's 5 of us really. I think that you could double the number of people in support and we'd still be slightly understaffed. We continue to get new customers with no new hirings in sight.

I'm about to start jumping at those random 6 month desktop support contract jobs (that I know will suck) from the recruiters that keep emailing me. I'm so done with this place, and it sucks because the people I work with are actually really cool.

As a tier 1 HelpDesk jockey I process around 100 to 150 tickets a day. But I generally do not hold onto them. If I can not close it in 15 or 20 min then it goes to 2nd level, they all have 50+ tickets. There are 5 level 1 techs and 6 level 2 techs. My place is jokinly understaffed, half hour wait times to call us all day, we drop aroun 100 calls a day.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Right now I have about 50. One of the guys next to me has 70. So we've got those tickets, and we're also the front-line people who answer all the calls that come in.

There are - in theory - six of us, plus our team lead, in the software company's customer support department where I work. But our team lead doesn't really have time to work many tickets (I don't hold this against him) and one of the other guys has basically converted into QA, they just haven't moved him yet. So there's 5 of us really. I think that you could double the number of people in support and we'd still be slightly understaffed. We continue to get new customers with no new hirings in sight.

I'm about to start jumping at those random 6 month desktop support contract jobs (that I know will suck) from the recruiters that keep emailing me. I'm so done with this place, and it sucks because the people I work with are actually really cool.

I work in the IT department of an HR department at a University. There are 3 tier 1 techs and 2 tier 2s, on average the tier 1 techs process ~0.8 tickets a day, depending on what is happening that day. We are incredibly hilariously overstaffed since there are only 40 people in the HR department but higher ups got upset about having to wait for University IT which would take 2-4 hours to assist with a simple problem so they hired a bunch of people to sit around and mostly watch videos online and work towards their certifications.

Skuzal fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 9, 2014

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008
Edit is not quote.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

NZAmoeba posted:

Some of my co-workers are in shorts and a t-shirt with sneakers. Another one is wearing a waistcoat.

IT workers are weird.

I forgot to mention, on top of this, Exec and even potential investors walk past us all the time, including me starting an impromptu chat with a potential investor pointing out what the graphs on the big screens meant.

I'm a jeans and a polo guy, all our gear is hosted in another country so we never have to get dirty (I kinda miss cabling sometimes, it was therapeutic to disappear into the server room and tidy up for a bit).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

cyberia posted:

*snip*

Forced 'office culture' and 'fun' are the worst things in business.

At my last job, the psychopath director decided that the whole department needed to have a "team-building dinner" with all the usual bullshit that you've heard about like team-building "games" and circle jerking about all the stuff the department got done that year or whatever. Essentially it was just another way that he could get an erection by being a puppetmaster and talking about all the great stuff HE did and how awesome everything was now that HE was in charge.

I'm not opposed to team-building exercises on principle, they can be a way to get people to loosen up and giggle and connect a little, which is important. Oh, it's mandatory. Well now that I'm being forced into it when I do have all this real work to get done, I'm a little miffed, but whatever. Oh, it starts at 4:30PM and goes until 7, and my work day normally ends between 5 and 5:30 so I'm no longer being paid for this waste of time?

gently caress. YOU.

I called in sick.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
A quick glance around the department shows 100% of people wearing jeans and sweaters.

Wintertime is time for wool - even if there's no snow to be seen anywhere. :colbert:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Things that are pissing me off, people who take time off for sick days and don't realise you're still contagious for a day or so after it goes away in most cases. I'm ok if you can't stay home and work because you have important things to do but if you can afford to stay off, stay off until you're not contagious please, drat.

The entire support office is infected, i'm watching the lights on the wallboard drop off one by one. And thus, we end with not a bang, but with a whimper.

Edit: And i'm one of them, it hurts to loving breathe, what hellspawn is this thing? I'm going home.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 9, 2014

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

We are contractually without a dress code, but they ask for business casual. I have changed to jeans and a button up shirt, though. I don't get paid enough to replace my chinos every week when some grease or dirt room stains them.

I also wear issued steel toe boots which honestly go better with the whole telephone linesman look anyways.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

dogstile posted:

Things that are pissing me off, people who take time off for sick days and don't realise you're still contagious for a day or so after it goes away in most cases. I'm ok if you can't stay home and work because you have important things to do but if you can afford to stay off, stay off until you're not contagious please, drat.

The entire support office is infected, i'm watching the lights on the wallboard drop off one by one. And thus, we end with not a bang, but with a whimper.

Edit: And i'm one of them, it hurts to loving breathe, what hellspawn is this thing? I'm going home.

Isn't that really a problem for US employment law, though? Because there's no enforcement for paid sick day amounts, I believe. I don't know a huge amount about US employment law, but from the scraps I have seen, it's bloody awful.

In the UK, there is no such thing as a limited number of sick days. If you're sick, you're sick. You may get reduced pay after 4 consecutive working days, but some will pay you the normal amount. (Well, there is a 28 week limit on sick pay you're entitled to at a low rate, but gently caress me, if you're ill for 28 weeks, there's only so much you can expect without some kind of insurance).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 9, 2014

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

HalloKitty posted:

Isn't that really a problem for US employment law, though? Because there's no enforcement for paid sick day amounts, I believe. I don't know a huge amount about US employment law, but from the scraps I have seen, it's bloody awful.

In the UK, there is no such thing as a limited number of sick days. If you're sick, you're sick. You may get reduced pay after 4 consecutive working days, but some will pay you the normal amount. (Well, there is a 28 week limit on sick pay you're entitled to at a low rate, but gently caress me, if you're ill for 28 weeks, there's only so much you can expect without some kind of insurance).

Similar up here in Canada. Companies can have a policy where after more than X sickdays you MUST provide a doctors note that you are legitimately ill, but beyond that there's really no "practical" limit. That being said, if you call in sick all the time when you're not you will get fired, but people who abuse the system ruined that. An unemployment. And disability. And everything else...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

HalloKitty posted:

Which I think is brilliant.

and yet, still people wil struggle in and cough all over everyone.

I worked overseas in a company with 6 floors and recirculating aircon. If you had a cold in Jan, you could expect to receive the same one again in March as it would work its way around the floor, then up and down the building and by the time it got to you, it had mutated just enough that you could catch it again.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Here in Denmark we don't have a limit either, but if you exceed 120 sick days per year the company can use that as a reason to fire you. If you're sick for more than 3 days the employer can ask for a note from your doctor (or other health facility - like a psychologist, dentist or hospital or such).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Things pissing me off today? Myself. I swapped labels on a lvm volume today and freaked myself out wondering where all my poo poo went.

I also lost Gerrit. I know its there somewhere though. :v:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We get a comical amount of sick time, which is very nice. I rarely use it, but it's comforting to know it's there and I'm not depleting a scarce resource if I feel like crap.

If you're out more than a couple days, though, they want a note. Which is kind of understandable, but if I'm out because I have the flu or something, I'm not going to the drat doctor. They're going to tell me I have the flu. If I have the flu, I know that already.

Unfortunately, this change was made because, even with the hilarious amount of sick time they give us -- I personally have close to half a year's worth saved up -- some people use it all up every year anyway (because they use it as if it were vacation -- I have no beef if you really need a mental health day once in a while, but I'm talking genuine abuse). So I understand completely why we have this policy now, but it is a pain in the rear end for those of us who are using it properly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Crowley posted:

Here in Denmark we don't have a limit either, but if you exceed 120 sick days per year the company can use that as a reason to fire you. If you're sick for more than 3 days the employer can ask for a note from your doctor (or other health facility - like a psychologist, dentist or hospital or such).

so, you get to take a full third of your year off to be ill? I can't imagine why anyone would go in if they even had a suspicion that they're contagious. I bet that gets abused like hell.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

dogstile posted:

so, you get to take a full third of your year off to be ill? I can't imagine why anyone would go in if they even had a suspicion that they're contagious. I bet that gets abused like hell.

It's very similar in the UK (except I don't even think they can use it as an excuse to fire you) and actually, no, it doesn't. Funnily enough if you treat people decently and as adults, most of them will give you respect back and not abuse the system.

That's not to say there aren't any people who will try, but that's why HR departments have things like the Bradford Score. Again, in itself a high score is not cause for disciplinary action but will usually trigger a meeting to discuss whether you have chronic health problems the company should be aware of, etc. If you continually have a high score without any evidence to back up a real health issue then yes, you probably will be disciplined and/or fired.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My previous employer started out with "unlimited" sick days, but after 6 "occurrences"(which are defined as any amount of time off except for a couple hours for a dr appt, which every one of those you take are aggregated into a single occurrence) you would get a stern talking to, and after 7 you would get written up.

They changed it to having a very generous 20 sick days...but, again, if you used more than about 1/4 of them you got a stern talking to, and if you continued to use them you got written up.

Then again, using all of your vacation days if you were not about to lose them due to accumulating too many would be a negative on your yearly review, so they kind of had messed up policies regarding not being at work.

My new employer has 0 sick days, you have to use some of your pathetic 13 "general leave" days if you are sick. I really should move to a new country, but most places seem to be striving to be more like the US all the time in health care and labor laws.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
What's pissing me off? Having a degree in technical writing and having to listen to people turning a set of instructions into a kludged-together mess because they don't want to spend extra money on printing more than one version. You know what costs money? Angry confused customers! :argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Khisanth Magus posted:

My previous employer started out with "unlimited" sick days, but after 6 "occurrences"(which are defined as any amount of time off except for a couple hours for a dr appt, which every one of those you take are aggregated into a single occurrence) you would get a stern talking to, and after 7 you would get written up.

They changed it to having a very generous 20 sick days...but, again, if you used more than about 1/4 of them you got a stern talking to, and if you continued to use them you got written up.

Then again, using all of your vacation days if you were not about to lose them due to accumulating too many would be a negative on your yearly review, so they kind of had messed up policies regarding not being at work.

My new employer has 0 sick days, you have to use some of your pathetic 13 "general leave" days if you are sick. I really should move to a new country, but most places seem to be striving to be more like the US all the time in health care and labor laws.

Australia seems to be the destination of choice lately, although that might just be a grass is greener thing.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Caged posted:

Australia seems to be the destination of choice lately, although that might just be a grass is greener thing.

Given who Australia keeps electing I can see them going towards USism with rather unseemly haste, as they keep electing conservative fuckwits who implement horrible censorship laws and things like the great Australian firewall, etc.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

No Your Other Left posted:

What's pissing me off? Having a degree in technical writing and having to listen to people turning a set of instructions into a kludged-together mess because they don't want to spend extra money on printing more than one version. You know what costs money? Angry confused customers! :argh:

Haha, you might have picked the wrong field then.

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 10, 2014

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

No Your Other Left posted:

Printed full documentation in TYOOL 2014?

Also, customers that read documentation rather than just calling into support immediately?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Monitors with poo poo stands are cheap and everyone needs something to lift them up a bit, what else do you expect them to use?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That's what reams of paper are for.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

rolleyes posted:

It's very similar in the UK (except I don't even think they can use it as an excuse to fire you) and actually, no, it doesn't. Funnily enough if you treat people decently and as adults, most of them will give you respect back and not abuse the system.

That's not to say there aren't any people who will try, but that's why HR departments have things like the Bradford Score. Again, in itself a high score is not cause for disciplinary action but will usually trigger a meeting to discuss whether you have chronic health problems the company should be aware of, etc. If you continually have a high score without any evidence to back up a real health issue then yes, you probably will be disciplined and/or fired.

Its probably where I grew up (it wasn't a nice neighbourhood) but everyone abuses every system they can so they can either get away with doing no work, or so they can do a cash in hand job while on "sick leave" for the other job.

I didn't know about the Bradford score though. That's pretty interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

dogstile posted:

I didn't know about the Bradford score though. That's pretty interesting.

It's basically designed to flag many short absences over a few, longer duration absences.

The threshold for a meeting with HR at my place is a score of 100. Pull 10 one-day sickies in a rolling year? You'll hit the trigger. Have a serious illness which takes you away for 10 days and then have a scheduled operation which needs you to take rest for another 10 days? Not a problem, that's a score of 80 despite having twice as many days out sick.

That's not to say it's not perfect. I used to work for a company where hitting the trigger was an offence in itself which is retarded, but if you have halfway competent management who recognise that it's only one tool of many to be used to reach a decision then it's a lot better than some of the alternatives. If you're out with genuine problems for frequent short periods then you'll still get flagged and that's where you need management which understands that the score is only one factor in determining whether someone is taking the piss or not.