Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

RoboCicero posted:

Just a brief demo of fighting effects + poorly kerned VICTORY effect.

This looks kickass!

Videos count for Screenshot Saturday, right? Tried a bit of a real world test with my scripting engine and remade part of the opening to SMT1. I'm stoked to see this slowly transform from a tech demo into a game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=780eZKRYDrg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Peewi posted:

How so? I assume you need something more advanced than directions, accept and cancel?

Not really it just wasn't part of the plan back when I made all of these menus so there's a lot of rewriting to make it work. Just time consuming and tedious.

But anyhow, Screenshot Saturday! One of our bosses and the Indy car's special ability. Go check out Drive to Hell on Steam Greenlight if you haven't! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214613514

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
What started out as a joke on IRC, turned into me actually getting something on the Unity Asset Store. There were no good assets that handled ONLY jump physics since everything is tied into character controllers and completed projects. So I took my jump physics and polished it up then submitted it. It contains jumping, double jumping, and variable height jumping for both 2D and 3D. I also wrote a blog post about jump physics in general since there's all kinds of information out there but nothing that just sorta explains what's going on for all the typical jump types. http://poemdexter.com/blog/jump-physics-games/

Here's my appropriately named asset store page for Jump Physics: http://u3d.as/content/poemdexter/jump-physics/ #SAGameDev on IRC continues to deliver.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Hey I made a palette replacement shader!

I need to figure out how to better blend hard shifts in the palette strip.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 12, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Well, after not doing as much as I wanted thanks to an exceptionally busy semester, I got back to this game programming thing. I just laid the groundwork down for an inventory system with enough terrible placeholder images to participate in another fine installment of Screenshot Saturday. Oh yeah!

For whatever reason I decided the test items should mostly smell bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DStecks posted:

I've asked a bit about this in this thread, but only about the tertiary issues, and never really about the core issue.

The game I'm developing is a sandbox JRPG, with a focus on procedurally generated narrative. This sounds crazy, but I actually have some fairly concrete ideas for how to implement that bit. Right now my problem is actually getting a "game" running. To be specific, I have plenty of experience coding object-oriented systems, but basically none in graphics. That's why the game is a JRPG, really, because it's a very system-heavy and graphics independent style of gameplay. Because this is my first game and I have little to no resources, the graphics style I'm going for is pretty much RPG Maker. 2D sprite stuff.

In your opinions, what would be the best system for going about doing this? I have some experience in C#, C++, and Java; and I would be more than happy with a capable, well-documented C# graphics library. I find Unity to be unintuitive, but I could certainly learn it if it were the best option overall. I suppose my question, ultimately, is that if you were going to make an RPG Maker-looking game, how would you guys go about it?

Java with libGDX is pretty drat straightforward and pretty powerful too. I love it.

I think XNA is in a bad state of affairs, so I'm not sure what the go-to C# is right now other than Unity stuff.

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

(Vine video)

Spent a few hours today to get something done in time for Screenshot Saturday.

The first new system is the camera system, which is a very simple, trigger based system that allows me to specify cinematic angles of the game world depending on the player's position in the world. The only game-specific feature here is that additional cameras can be set for when the player is hugging a wall, which can be useful for giving the player a wider view of the world. Instead of going with the more recent MGS games' behind-the-shoulder camera, I've opted for the classic top-down camera, which gives the player a clearer overview of the level, which is important for Merry Gear's more puzzley gameplay style.

The second is the ingame minimap, which was a bit more challenging. Previous entries in the Merry Gear Solid series were 2D and grid-based, allowing me to generate the minimap display by scanning the level tile by tile and drawing lines at wall edges. Having made the jump to 3D with Merry Gear Solid 3, obviously that wasn't an option anymore.

After evaluating all of my options (and without having to resort to any paid, third party solutions) the solution I came up with was to take data I already had -- that is, the recast generated navmesh that Unity can bake into the level at edit-time, and to generate a 2D representation of the level layout from that.

Of course, due to agent size being factored into navmesh generation, this means that walls will appear "thicker" in the minimap than in the game world, but by playing around with the scale of the minimap display, I was able to mask the discrepancy as part of the low resolution display.

Once the AI scheduling system is complete, I should be in a good place to get this thing done for 2014 (...but no promises).

Mr. Podunkian fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 12, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Podunkian posted:

Of course, due to agent size being factored into navmesh generation, this means that walls will appear "thicker" in the minimap than in the game world, but by playing around with the scale of the minimap display, I was able to mask the discrepancy as part of the low resolution display.
MGS2 apparently had a similar issue (the collision on each map was divided into walls and everything else. The radar was generated from the wall collisions, which were typically slightly different from the actual level mesh) so pretend you're just sticking to series canon or something. :v:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I've been slaving over a new Logo interpreter for an educational programming game I'm building. Today I implemented the first turtle graphics primitives:

Believe me when I say there's a hell of a lot more going on here than is readily apparent.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Hello everyone. I've been lurking this thread for a couple of weeks. There's some really awesome looking stuff here!

For screenshot Saturday I wanted to show off the project I'm doing the music and sound for called Witchmarsh.

It's a RPG with some light platforming stuff. You can find out more about it on our tumblr. We're going to be doing a Kickstarter "soon."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hey, what was that tool for making animated .gif files easily?

Playing with crazy shaders :frogsiren: although you can't really get the effect from my random screenshot

Whoo its screenshot saturday

Stolen art all over the place because my artist is a bum and has only done concept work so far.

Edit: Now with animation! EPILEPSY WARNING?

Rainbow nuke?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 12, 2014

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey, what was that tool for making animated .gif files easily?

I personally use LICEcap for free, no frills gif capture.

^^^ You linked a PNG

Mr. Podunkian fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 12, 2014

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

D_W posted:

It's a RPG with some light platforming stuff. You can find out more about it on our tumblr. We're going to be doing a Kickstarter "soon."

Goddamn that's some nice depth. Keep us updated.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

D_W posted:

Hello everyone. I've been lurking this thread for a couple of weeks. There's some really awesome looking stuff here!

For screenshot Saturday I wanted to show off the project I'm doing the music and sound for called Witchmarsh.

This looks incredible. But it would look way more incredible if you got your programmer to quantise and pixellate the bloom and water and other graphical effects.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

it's a platformer weekend!

First, ladders!

and then moving platforms

and updated another tileset

Parasytic
Jun 19, 2007

Feed me a stray cat.

D_W posted:

Gorgeous! Also liking what I see on the tumblr. Will be keeping a close eye on this one...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Coldrice posted:

it's a platformer weekend!

First, ladders!

and then moving platforms

and updated another tileset

Have you considered making the bullets bigger? The pistol looks like a peashooter and doesn't really convey "I kill badguys".

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
I finally got that sign stuff sort of working, from a few pages ago. Thanks for the help guys. Here's a gif of what I've got so far. Ignore the horrible programmer art.

I of course come with yet another question though. How do I refer to other objects from a script? With the sign stuff I have going on, it's all controlled through script that is attached to the message (not the sign itself) and it simply becomes visible and plays an animation on the trigger when the player presses 'E'. I originally was trying to have the sign sprite have all the code, and then refer to the message sprite to make it visible and all that, and I couldn't work out how to do it.

e: The jump physics in the actual game is more generous than shown in the gif. Just saying.

Forseeable Fuchsia fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 12, 2014

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
What do you do when you get sick and have to stay inside all weekend? Why you start working on your Android game of course!

1600 lines of code later and this is what I have to show for it:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

D_W posted:

That looks amazing! Really dig the game's concept too.

Shalinor posted:

I'm entirely too lazy for screenshots... so here are some Hot Tin Roof dev videos!
Looks very slick. I like the DoF.

More work so that this isn't 3 separate games but all the bits actually working together.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Finally all art is original - removed the last of the 8bit placeholder sprites for monsters & treasures!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

retro sexual posted:

Finally all art is original - removed the last of the 8bit placeholder sprites for monsters & treasures!

That looks awesome, but the 'play or discard' text is hard to read.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

TomR posted:

That looks awesome, but the 'play or discard' text is hard to read.

Seconding this. Also, the text on the card seems weird for some reason. Some sort of scaling thing?

e: To be clear, seconding the 'looks awesome' as well, only slightly put off by the two things.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Red Mike posted:

Seconding this. Also, the text on the card seems weird for some reason. Some sort of scaling thing?

It looks like it's a hand-written sort of font, which probably doesn't scale too well.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

KiddieGrinder posted:

It looks like it's a hand-written sort of font, which probably doesn't scale too well.

I don't think it's the shape though, it looks like it isn't filled with a solid colour but a pattern. Maybe that, I don't know?

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks guys. Yep the font used in 'play or discard' will be changed (probably will also have a white scroll behind it, like in the logo). The font used on the cards is a bit illegible - going to have rework that. It's the bold version of Cabin Sketch, so it's got a pattern in it that isn't looking great scaled down..

retro sexual fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 13, 2014

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Mock and Droll posted:

I finally got that sign stuff sort of working, from a few pages ago. Thanks for the help guys. Here's a gif of what I've got so far. Ignore the horrible programmer art.

I of course come with yet another question though. How do I refer to other objects from a script? With the sign stuff I have going on, it's all controlled through script that is attached to the message (not the sign itself) and it simply becomes visible and plays an animation on the trigger when the player presses 'E'. I originally was trying to have the sign sprite have all the code, and then refer to the message sprite to make it visible and all that, and I couldn't work out how to do it.
The more flexible approach is using public variables in your script (eg. public GameObject sign;) that you then associate in the Unity editor. But if you want something completely hardcoded in script you can use GameObject.Find("ObjectName").

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

KiddieGrinder posted:

I use a handwritten font and that scales just fine scanned at 200ppi. The problem is

retro sexual posted:

It's the bold version of Cabin Sketch, so it's got a pattern in it that isn't looking great scaled down..
how it isn't a solid font. It would be much more readable (though the letters probably need a black outline anyway since the orange and even midrange blue blends in with the white, and this is coming from someone with nearly perfect color perception) if it was filled in, but the insides of the letters are partially transparent. That's what's causing the problems in legibility, scaling has almost nothing to do with it aside from exacerbating the transparency problem.

tl;dr get a solid font, you can even write it yourself if you like.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 13, 2014

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

SupSuper posted:

The more flexible approach is using public variables in your script (eg. public GameObject sign;) that you then associate in the Unity editor. But if you want something completely hardcoded in script you can use GameObject.Find("ObjectName").

Just a note, GameObject.Find() is slower than GameObject.FindWithTag() and you should try to use the tag version as much as possible.

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011

SupSuper posted:

Oh I see. Stupid question, what do you mean use a public variable and associate it in the editor? Sorry, but I'm an idiot with Unity. D:

In that sense, what exactly is "ObjectName"? The name of the asset in the asset browser bit?

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
So this week we finally worked out the kinks in our lighting engine- which was quite nice, and so to celebrate we decided to indulge ourselves and make a little one-off game for fun over the weekend. I began to design it on Friday night, and we used the rest of the weekend to play-test, tweak, and make assets for it. This was the result:

Funnily enough this game wound up being almost the polar opposite of We Need to go Deeper. It's single player, you're going up instead of down, and finally, this isn't even a video game; it's a card game. Here are a few examples:

Not sure what we're gonna do with it yet - maybe make it a free print-and-play on our website or something. Either way, it was fun to make, so I figured I'd share it with ya'll!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Mock and Droll posted:

Oh I see. Stupid question, what do you mean use a public variable and associate it in the editor? Sorry, but I'm an idiot with Unity. D:

In that sense, what exactly is "ObjectName"? The name of the asset in the asset browser bit?

For any script that extends MonoBehaviour, any public member (except for properties) are viewable in the inspector when attached to a GameObject. For example, I wrote a JumpPhysics.cs script and attached it to a GameObject. Now this is what I see when I click the game object and look at the inspector:

To answer your second question, "ObjectName" is the name of the GameObject in the Hierarchy tab.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Someone on IRC mentioned how their game looked so much different from a year ago. I had to look through my puu.sh account to see what I had for Western.

then:

now:

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Was going to do a thing for MiniLD this weekend but didn't have enough free time. Completely jacked Podunkian's steez, I later realised.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
The weekend was very productive. The pages below are all displayed in the browser. Only a handful of mock ups left to go through and put to code. Everything is very much a work in progress of course.

Still lots of work to do, but we should be play testing soon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That woman's hands are horrifying. :stare:

She's gonna climb out of a mirror and claw my eyes out when I go to sleep, isn't she?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
She isn't staying. That's programmer art.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
You should add an easter egg where you can breed the trainer with other trainers/horses. Just sayin. Centaur hybrids could take Horse World Online in an exciting direction.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

poemdexter posted:

For any script that extends MonoBehaviour, any public member (except for properties) are viewable in the inspector when attached to a GameObject. For example, I wrote a JumpPhysics.cs script and attached it to a GameObject. Now this is what I see when I click the game object and look at the inspector:

To answer your second question, "ObjectName" is the name of the GameObject in the Hierarchy tab.

You can also use private members and mark them with the [SerializeField] attribute, if you don't like littering that objects public scope with a bunch of variables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Oh her hands ARE super creepy. haha. But you know what they say about programmer art. Make look awful so the artists get more motivated to replace it. haha. I like the site's layout though.

I have a bit of a Witchmarsh music update. I completed a rough sketch of the title theme. Check it out.
The instruments are very much not final. This version is just a dump from Sibelius. The instruments are basically a step above general midi. My process tends to be: Compose in Sibelius. Export MIDI. Import that in FL Studio. Expand on composition there, then export tracks separately. Then mix and master in Protools. So this piece still has a long way to go before completed. I might add some more to it later.