Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah, fine, I'm in for this one. Should at least be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xXx_darkJerryFalwell_xXx
Jun 30, 2006

It's time to play the game, Jeff. It's all about the game.
I'm in for some Ninja Gaiden II.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Holy poo poo it actually says HARD TO BEAT!! on the loving box cover, goddamn.

...I'll try this, see where I go with it, but expect me to fail if I don't post by next Saturday cuz goddamn I am the worst ninja ever.

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
Is it harder than Ninja Gaiden 1? I actually got through that game a few years ago. Do you still have infinite continues?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Greed is eternal posted:

Is it harder than Ninja Gaiden 1? I actually got through that game a few years ago. Do you still have infinite continues?

I've beaten 2 but not 1 and have always thought that 2 was easier. It has that awesome phantom ninja power up that lets you put yourself in harm's way a little less frequently.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FinalGamer posted:

Holy poo poo it actually says HARD TO BEAT!! on the loving box cover, goddamn.

...I'll try this, see where I go with it, but expect me to fail if I don't post by next Saturday cuz goddamn I am the worst ninja ever.

Two exclamation marks. Because one isn't urgent enough and three is humorous.

Greed is eternal posted:

Two words: stage hazards. But you get a copy ability that's extremely helpful if you master it. I haven't beaten any classic Ninja Gaiden games and I'm too pussy for this.

It's Ninja Gaiden 3 that has limited continues. I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I finished Klonoa but not the extra stage in time, which is a shame. But it was fun playing that game again. I'm totally in for Ninja Gaiden 2 though. I finished 1, no reason I can't finish 2. I hope :ohdear:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I'll try this one out, but I'm betting I will fail.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Oh, I am totally in for this. I've beaten the first one a few times but I've never actually played this one before.

Also, thank you so much for having some mercy and picking the second game instead of the third one. The third game is horseshit, because of the limited continues. Why they made that change I'll never know. It just forces you to play through all of the easy stuff over and over again to get a crack at the harder stages again.

xXx_darkJerryFalwell_xXx
Jun 30, 2006

It's time to play the game, Jeff. It's all about the game.

Just beat Ninja Gaiden II. It was a lot easier than the first one.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

judgementbringer posted:

The third game is horseshit, because of the limited continues. Why they made that change I'll never know. It just forces you to play through all of the easy stuff over and over again to get a crack at the harder stages again.

Funny enough, I played the Japanese version while I was on a big Ninja Gaiden kick. It was my first time really playing the game... and I beat it without continues.

I don't know if the Japanese version is too easy, but easy is subjective when it comes to Ninja Gaiden.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...
I just found this thread and it looks really interesting! I'm in for Ninja Gaiden 2. Just got it working on the TV so hopefully I'll have an update in the next day or two.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I'm in. I had a blast with the first one, even beat it a few times.

al-azad posted:

It's Ninja Gaiden 3 that has limited continues. I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking.
And only in the North America version. I really don't think I'd play that one for the challenge (I kind of think the same thing about Battletoads).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The guy who directed/produced the Ninja Gaiden series was the same guy behind Klonoa, so this works out nicely.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
For some reason my screenshot program messed up it's display a bit:

I sure wish I had worked out there was a god-mode power-up prior to the last level, but at least it let me get around the final boss' bullshit after I got a good strategy for the last level.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

Done! I played through 5-2 last night then had to take a break because my brain started melting a bit. So I left the console on overnight, just like in the old days. I probably spent 2 solid hours this morning grinding out the final stage/boss. His first phase was actually the hardest for me, and once I got through him with most of my life left, it went smoothly. I don't know how you'd fight phases 1 or 3 without the ninja clone. Anyways,

You said it, buddy.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Alright, I'm in. God help me.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Okay, let's give this thing a shot... LIVE. I make no promises of any quality or whatever, but we'll see what happens.

aaaand Ninja Gaiden II cleared! I had a lot of fun streaming this game. And playing it. Only got one game over during the thing. It's my favorite of the trilogy, though 1 does come close. 1 gets really crazy hard during the end though, so that docks it a bit.

We don't speak of 3. But 2 was quite fun and I had a good time tonight. Thanks to all who showed up!

FreezingInferno fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 13, 2014

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

FreezingInferno posted:

Funny enough, I played the Japanese version while I was on a big Ninja Gaiden kick. It was my first time really playing the game... and I beat it without continues.

I don't know if the Japanese version is too easy, but easy is subjective when it comes to Ninja Gaiden.
Aren't the Japanese versions normally harder and they make it easier for the sake of Americans or some poo poo? Least that was the case for some Mega Man games and whatnot.

Though we do the reverse for them like when Rare had Battletoads and Donkey Kong Country in Japan and for some reason they made it actually EASIER for them.
Back-insult or what v:v:v

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

Aren't the Japanese versions normally harder and they make it easier for the sake of Americans or some poo poo? Least that was the case for some Mega Man games and whatnot.

Though we do the reverse for them like when Rare had Battletoads and Donkey Kong Country in Japan and for some reason they made it actually EASIER for them.

For some reason it tends to be the opposite actually. I can't really think of any examples of where the Japanese version is harder, but I can think of a ton where the American version is harder. Battletoads, DKC, Adventure Island, and one of the more infamous cases The Adventures of Bayou Billy. Speaking of which... that game should totally be a challenge for this thread. :unsmigghh:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ninja Gaiden II completed!

I dunno, I had some trouble with this one trying to figure out what it wanted me to do. Or maybe it was just more worth it just to spam weapons and invincibility frames? It seemed like most of the difficulty was just dealing with grouped enemies.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 13, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FinalGamer posted:

From what I gather, they started jacking up the difficulty for the international versions as a response to the rise of the rental market; they didn't want people beating their games in one playthrough, essentially.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm in. Can't say no to ninjas. :ninja:

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
EDIT: You know, I'm wondering if some of my frustration with this game is due to the emulator I'm using. I'm not sure why, I've played the original on this same one and didn't have a problem. But I am noticing a whole bunch of graphical issues, especially with the shadow clones. Like, they'll be straight up invisible most of the time, and when I use a subweapon only one actually displays. Is it possible that the emulator is losing actual objects and not just sprites? Unlike the first Ninja Gaiden, I've never actually played this game on a console before so I don't really have a point of reference, but the hitboxes are definitely behaving strangely and I'm wondering if it could be the emulator and not the game. Like is the game supposed to have really wonky hitboxes on everything? Like, am I only supposed to be able to hit Jacquio in that symbol? And only with the very tip of my sword? Or is he supposed to be damageable anywhere on his sprite?

judgementbringer fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 13, 2014

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Oh man, I never even beat the first Ninja Gaiden. I'll give this one a go.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Calling myself in for Ninja Gaiden 2. I seriously doubt I'll have much luck in clearing it, but worth a go.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

judgementbringer posted:

EDIT: You know, I'm wondering if some of my frustration with this game is due to the emulator I'm using. I'm not sure why, I've played the original on this same one and didn't have a problem. But I am noticing a whole bunch of graphical issues, especially with the shadow clones. Like, they'll be straight up invisible most of the time, and when I use a subweapon only one actually displays. Is it possible that the emulator is losing actual objects and not just sprites? Unlike the first Ninja Gaiden, I've never actually played this game on a console before so I don't really have a point of reference, but the hitboxes are definitely behaving strangely and I'm wondering if it could be the emulator and not the game. Like is the game supposed to have really wonky hitboxes on everything? Like, am I only supposed to be able to hit Jacquio in that symbol? And only with the very tip of my sword? Or is he supposed to be damageable anywhere on his sprite?

I can't say anything for hitboxes, but if you have shadow clones disappearing it's likely because of the flicker effect. If your emulator has a frameskip option, you may want to check if it's skipping frames because there's a distinct chance that it falls right so that it skips the frames where the clone is visible.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

judgementbringer posted:

but the hitboxes are definitely behaving strangely and I'm wondering if it could be the emulator and not the game.

The above poster probably has it right with the clones, because I'm not getting that. I will back you up on the hitboxes though. They're hosed. Extremely heavily weighted in the enemies favour, the part where you can hit an enemy is small, your attack hitbox is small, but the collision box with which an enemy can do damage to you is fairly wide. This leads to ridiculous scenarios where I'm standing inside someone slashing through them with my sword while they cause collision damage all day long.

EDIT: WOOOOOOOOO

I was on the edge of my seat during this finish, and it felt so good. Had a bunch of fun with this game, wasn't even really expecting to either but something about the game despite the absurd difficulty was kinda fun.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 14, 2014

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ninja Gaiden 1 had a lot of that hitbox stuff, too, though? The only time I felt it was beyond bad was on the last level where one if the early screens I had to make sure to hit the bat, or else the sword would just straight up not count as a collision for the below enemy. Otherwise, like I mentioned, it was usually just the game having to take into account the increased subweapon usage of the sequel.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

Ninja Gaiden 1 had a lot of that hitbox stuff, too, though? The only time I felt it was beyond bad was on the last level where one if the early screens I had to make sure to hit the bat, or else the sword would just straight up not count as a collision for the below enemy. Otherwise, like I mentioned, it was usually just the game having to take into account the increased subweapon usage of the sequel.

It wasn't nearly as bad though. And they did make the sword's hitbox a lot smaller in this game for some reason, which is a big reason why the hitboxes are so much funkier. I'm going to try again though, but with a different emulator. Hopefully that'll fix the graphical stuff and slow downs. Cause I checked it out as per a previous suggestion and it was actually dropping a lot of frames. It's supposed to run at 60 fps, but when I ran it with a frame counter it was dropping to about 40-45 fps at certain spots.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Holy gently caress, getting to the final boss and then dying and going to the loving beginning of 7-2 is BRUTAL. I hope I can finish this one tonight, I might be up for a while doing this.

e: gently caress's sake, that was hard. Well, except for the final form of the end boss. Beat it on my first try, what the hell. Fun game, though I feel the challenge was a bit misappropriated at times. Act III was probably the most challenging for me, aside from Act VII, obviously. Acts IV and VI's bosses were pretty simple, I feel. Overall, I enjoyed it, and glad to say I've finally beaten one of the games in the series.

Sorry about the crappy quality, picture from my phone since I was playing on a TV.

heytallman fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 15, 2014

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

We're now on our 11th challenge of the season, which means only four more after this one. If you weren't with us for the last thread, the thread will take a short break to get the OP cleaned up, new images ready, and a new list of challenges to do. I'll definitely be taking suggestions for that, so be thinking of games you'd like to take on!

Also, I was a big dumb idiot and forgot to post a challenge yesterday :v:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is probably the most well known, and well liked Castlevania. Eschewing the series' prior level-based format and returning to the exploration-based setup found in Vampire Killer and Castlevania II: Simon's Curse. This game, however, did just about everything right and is considered by many to be the best in the series.

Your goal in this challenge is to Reach the True Ending!

This challenge will expire on :siren: Saturday, January 25th at 12:00 AM EST :siren:

Manual

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Nice, a free point :v: . I'm in.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

I'm in. I got all the achievements on the XBLA re-release a few years ago, so this shouldn't be too bad.

The XBLA version is fine, right?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The only version you shouldn't play is the one on the UMD for Dracula X Chronicles because they changed the dub. :colbert:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I have an exam on Thursday so I'll only be able to play it for something like, what, 2 days? But whatever, I'm in.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
If hearing Alucard speak in the language of glorious Nippon is wrong, I don't want to be right! :byodame:

(Just kidding. I'm in!)

TKImpulse
Oct 21, 2009
After watching people break this game in half over the last couple of days, I'm in.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Neat, one I particularly want to play and haven't before!... but I actually have some other time planned for it. How bizarre!

I'd watch a stream if I happen to catch one, though.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
I'll have to re-download this on XBLA, but I should be down.

• Locked thread