Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
We will learn that Jonesy was the REAL android on the ship in Alien and Ash was just a backup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ClownSyndrome posted:

We will learn that Jonesy was the REAL android on the ship in Alien and Ash was just a backup

Cat-Bot Hesh

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wish this game had you play as Jonesy as you crawl around the ships ventilation trying to evade the Alien instead of making a fanfic about Ellen Ripley's daughter. Oh well.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

ClownSyndrome posted:

Have I got the Anime for you:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

BrandonGK posted:

Have I got the Anime for you:

quote:

The Starship Saldes is sent into deep space to explore a newly discovered planet. The journey will take twenty years. The Saldes' crew of thirteen, mixing experienced space jockeys with eager but naive scientists, are prepared for anything -- except an unseen alien invader with an insatiable appetite.

Oh sweet, Prometheus!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Photex posted:

we've all been there..hellgate london lifetime subscriber here :negative:

I was a Brink pre-order victim. My reward was a TF2 hat called "Genuine Anger," an item that couldn't possibly have a more apropos name.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004
They have 7 minutes of game play on IGN and said that there are no weapons in the game.

Robot_Rumpus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 13, 2014

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Robot_Rumpus posted:

They have 7 minutes of game play on IGN and said in the game that there are no weapons in the game.

They've already shown a melee weapon and said there'll be a pistol though.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

They've already shown a melee weapon and said there'll be a pistol though.

I haven't seen a pistol anywhere and I never saw any other melee weapon. I'm sure you're right, where did they show them?

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Robot_Rumpus posted:

I haven't seen a pistol anywhere and I never saw any other melee weapon. I'm sure you're right, where did they show them?

Interviews have basically stated that there are weapons in the game, or at least they're programmed in the alpha/beta.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Spaceking posted:

Interviews have basically stated that there are weapons in the game, or at least they're programmed in the alpha/beta.

Interviews also stated that there will never be a "lock and load" moment in the game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hakkesshu posted:

No, this thread hasn't come full circle until someone goes "gently caress the haters, this game will be AWESOME".
gently caress the haters, this game will be AWESOME.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
All that's been confirmed is.

- There will be combat against humans. ( Kotaku ).

- Melee Combat is the main focus. There is also a Pistol. ( Kotaku again. )

- You will be able to craft, but so far only traps/bombs/"gels" are confirmed. ( RPS ).

- The Alien is attracted to sound. ( The initial gameplay reveal trailers for Sony. )

- The main inspirations are Bioshock for atmosphere, and Dishonored for gameplay. ( Pretty much everyone. )

Current speculation is that since the Alien is attracted to sound, and melee/stealth is the focus, that guns will draw the Alien. Unconfirmed, but would be a great reason to not start firefights, and focus on melee/stealth.

This paints a pretty simple picture. You will likely have a ton of encounters with the Alien in "its" sections of the ship while you are looking for stuff. You will also encounter Weyland Yutani sections of the ship, but will presumably not be good in a 1v10+ firefight with them, since they will be trained soldiers/cyborgs and you are an Engineer. Combat will likely boil down to stealth kills and traps/gadgets. There will be combat, and since this is a video game, roughly 60% of the game if not more will probably be fighting the Weyland Yutani guys. From what they've said so far, it seems the best things to compare it to are Last of Us, Splinter Cell Blacklist, or Dishonored in that you are a very fragile angel of death.

Basically it sounds good, but who knows, there's still plenty of information we don't have yet that could gently caress it all up.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
If anyone wants an Amnesia style horror game inspired by Aliens then the new project of Frictional Games will probably be the only thing that's close: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5iRmZPQ3VA

I think it will be more evil robots rather than aliens but... the environment design is pretty reminiscent of the Alien franchise.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ClownSyndrome posted:

Jonesy was actually a synthetic cat vessel for mother to use to roam around the ship spying on people.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Xenomrph posted:

gently caress the haters, this game will be AWESOME.

This is rumor control; here are the facts:

This game is going to be amazing.

Thank you, that is all.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'm going to guess there are sections where the alien is preprogrammed to appear (like if you activate the elevator you MUST activate to proceed) and then other moments, there will be W-Y mercenaries standing around. If you get spotted or shoot them with unsilenced weapons, it summons the Xeno after a few moments who will wipe out mercenary and player alike; might clear a path for you, but also will kill you if he spots you.

This is based on the human enemies making up the bulk of the game, melee focus, and the alien being attracted to sound. There may be silenced weapons the player and some enemies use that might allow for firefights. None of this is confirmed, but based on the info we have, I'm guessing this is the formula.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Maybe it's similar to Chronicles of Riddick. Lots of sneaking and throat stabbing/head bashing?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Putting the player character in the role of a predator would be really weird and kind of inappropriate in a stealth-based Alien game where you're not playing as the Alien.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Dan Didio posted:

Putting the player character in the role of a predator would be really weird and kind of inappropriate in a stealth-based Alien game where you're not playing as the Alien.

Well it's not quite predator; you'll lose any straight up fight, your mission should never be 'kill everyone in this room', and if anyone so much as sees you, they will summon the true predator that you have no hope against assuming you even survive the firefight long enough for him to get there. In a good stealth game, stalking and killing everyone on the map is pretty hard, and a good player would rather just get past everyone without starting a fight because you can't win anything unless you have a huge advantage.

If I'm right and the game does it well, combat will still feel terrifying and hard. If hitting him in the back of the head with a 2x4 doesn't kill him, he'll get up and kill you. Even if you kill him first, if anyone sees you, they'll kill you. Even if you kill everyone, the noise it will create will summon a monster so powerful you have no hope against it. Contrast that with the Xeno, where he could just run straight at you screaming his head off, it doesn't matter, you can't do poo poo to stop him. He's just sneaking around because it makes slaughtering everyone slightly easier on him.

Like I said though, this is all pure speculation; for all I know, the game will basically be Condemned 3: Alien Boogaloo where some levels are stealth levels, and you can toss bricks to distract the Xeno :shobon:.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DrProsek posted:

Well it's not quite predator; you'll lose any straight up fight, your mission should never be 'kill everyone in this room', and if anyone so much as sees you, they will summon the true predator that you have no hope against assuming you even survive the firefight long enough for him to get there. In a good stealth game, stalking and killing everyone on the map is pretty hard, and a good player would rather just get past everyone without starting a fight because you can't win anything unless you have a huge advantage.

If I'm right and the game does it well, combat will still feel terrifying and hard. If hitting him in the back of the head with a 2x4 doesn't kill him, he'll get up and kill you. Even if you kill him first, if anyone sees you, they'll kill you. Even if you kill everyone, the noise it will create will summon a monster so powerful you have no hope against it. Contrast that with the Xeno, where he could just run straight at you screaming his head off, it doesn't matter, you can't do poo poo to stop him. He's just sneaking around because it makes slaughtering everyone slightly easier on him.

Like I said though, this is all pure speculation; for all I know, the game will basically be Condemned 3: Alien Boogaloo where some levels are stealth levels, and you can toss bricks to distract the Xeno :shobon:.

You could do a lot worse than aping Condemned 1 and the first half of Condemned 2 for an Alien game. You probably shouldn't be able to beat a Xeno over the head with an old pipe and live to talk about it but that kind of combat could work okay for anything else.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Kibayasu posted:

You could do a lot worse than aping Condemned 1 and the first half of Condemned 2 for an Alien game. You probably shouldn't be able to beat a Xeno over the head with an old pipe and live to talk about it but that kind of combat could work okay for anything else.

Crazy hobo xenomorph confirmed.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SBJ posted:

A:CM Collectors Edition taught me to never pre-order anything. That lesson cost me $100. I had a bit of fun with the game at first but it's seriously not worth more than $10.

Funnily enough, I got the CE when everyone was trying to ditch the drat things a few months after release for about that price, then traded the game in for Spec Ops and Dark Souls CE.

I think I may be one of about three people actually happy with their purchase of it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I preordered A:CM and picked it up as soon as I could. I played all the way to the last level, and then stopped and uninstalled it. I never beat the game.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

blackguy32 posted:

I preordered A:CM and picked it up as soon as I could. I played all the way to the last level, and then stopped and uninstalled it. I never beat the game.

The ending just kind of happens and leaves you going, "Huh? That's it?"

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

DrProsek posted:

I'm going to guess there are sections where the alien is preprogrammed to appear (like if you activate the elevator you MUST activate to proceed) and then other moments, there will be W-Y mercenaries standing around. If you get spotted or shoot them with unsilenced weapons, it summons the Xeno after a few moments who will wipe out mercenary and player alike; might clear a path for you, but also will kill you if he spots you.

Yeah, I can't see the game being one gigantic 3D world with the Alien navigating the environment in such a way that no playthrough is ever the same, I fully expect the Alien to appear in exactly the same sections of the game every single time you play. I get the impression that it's going to be heavily scripted, with level design that offers a tiny bit of wiggle room for the player to try and get through without being seen. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It would be cool if, as the mercenaries get picked off they start to audibly and visually freak out. In the recent Batman games the prisoners/goons with guns will start panicking as they find their buddies maimed or tied up, and they'll start randomly screaming at shadows and noises, and look around in spasms as they hold their gun in a death grip. When they're down to the last two guys, they'll slowly walk around back to back, trying to cover each other, but inevitably get briefly separated.

That seems like the sort of thing that's perfect for some amoral jerks being hunted by a hungry xeno or vengeful engineer.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I would play the poo poo out of Arkham Alien.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would play the poo poo out of Arkham Alien.

I knew this would exist.

Comics are a whore of a medium.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

7c Nickel posted:

I knew this would exist.

Comics are a whore of a medium.

Oh that's only the half of it.

Literally.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sorry but Batman vs Predator comics owned hard.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The best Alien crossover comic is easily WildC.A.T.s/Aliens where Warren Ellis used a crossover one-shot event to kill off a ton of pre-existing characters from the Stormwatch series so he could move on to The Authority with the characters he wanted to write about (mostly new).

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Palpek posted:

Judge Dredd vs Aliens: Incubus was great too. Dredd vs Predator, not so much, but it was serviceable. Should've been called 'Dredd vs Pred' though. :rimshot:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Literally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j7d3lIAkes

But wait, there's more!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kokoro Wish posted:

Literally.

This book owned. They found a nest of aliens and Batman was all like "gently caress 'em, I only give a poo poo about HUMAN lives" and Superman was all "But life is sacred!"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Palpek posted:

The first one is pretty drat good. The second one was actually what got me into comics, so even though I recognise that it's not near as good, I still like it. I never read three, I think it got a TPB release though.

I also have both the Batman vs Aliens comics and Judge Dredd vs Aliens. Batman vs Aliens 2 got weird.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DrProsek posted:

This would be pretty cool but I really doubt it will be this. If anything you will just do a lovely QTE and push the xeno off you and get away. Every single time it comes after you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This would be pretty cool but I really doubt it will be this. If anything you will just do a lovely QTE and push the xeno off you and get away. Every single time it comes after you.

We've already seen video of it and it seems like the Xeno grabbing you is an instant kill.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ImpAtom posted:

We've already seen video of it and it seems like the Xeno grabbing you is an instant kill.

These never work out for me. They always play out like trial and error to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

These never work out for me. They always play out like trial and error to me.

Hopefully it's like Last of Us or Clock Tower where places are just expansive enough that you can try to hide again.

• Locked thread