Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

BraveUlysses posted:

Motorcycle riders have already taken their lives into their own hands so go do what you like.

Everyone on the road has already taken their lives into their own hands.

For motorcyclists having something in your ears (earplugs or earbuds) can be a net positive by cutting down on all the wind noise (which can very literally be deafening.) Unless you're driving a Kastein Special and gauging your speed watching the pavement go by through the holes in the floor noise isolation should be a non-issue. I'm going to take a wild stab and guess people doing it in their cars are doing it because their stereos don't get loud enough, although there may be some whose stereos are just too old to have an ipod hookup or play MP3s.

I've ridden with / without earplugs and with music playing. Without earplugs on the highway for any length of time, you're not hearing squat. Between having just plugs or earbuds turned off and turning the music on is like being in a car and turning the stereo on and off.

I'm not a fan of the hipster bicyclists I see around here running red lights with big hipster headphones that cover the whole ear, but they're a whole different ball of issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Clearly the solution to this is for people to wear open-back headphones instead of ear-buds. They don't block out any surrounding sound, plus they sound better to boot.

Like: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-100-Lightweight-Collapsible/dp/B000089GN3

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that it's illegal. Such nuances as "headphones are illegal in cars if they inhibit your ability to hear sounds around you" are somewhat lost on lawmakers.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 14, 2014

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'd rather have all headphones illegal than having people using their own good judgement. We all know how well that works...

VVV: Yeah for the love of god don't do that. You'll end up like those people with in ear buds, where you clearly hear the music due to the insane volume they now need to hear the music.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 14, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Clearly the solution to this is for people to wear open-back headphones instead of ear-buds. They don't block out any surrounding sound, plus they sound better to boot.

I know you're talking about in cars, but open headphones, helmet speakers, and lovely ear buds (the non-isolating kind like the ones that come with iPods) are actually worse for motorcyclists. They don't block out the wind noise, so you compensate by turning up the music, which just damages your hearing. A good pair of isolating ear buds lets you turn down the volume and still block out the wind noise. Having never ridden with music playing, I can't comment on that versus wearing ear plugs.

I use open headphones at work so I can hear around me. Can't imagine wearing ear buds in the car.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Like: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-100-Lightweight-Collapsible/dp/B000089GN3

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that it's illegal. Such nuances as "headphones are illegal in cars if they inhibit your ability to hear sounds around you" are somewhat lost on lawmakers.

Actually, people should just use the PX-100s or the PX-100 IIs, period. They easily outperform headphones costing five to ten times as much, and they take a beating.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'd rather have all headphones illegal than having people using their own good judgement. We all know how well that works...

VVV: Yeah for the love of god don't do that. You'll end up like those people with in ear buds, where you clearly hear the music due to the insane volume they now need to hear the music.

And as this thread attests, if you make things illegal then people stop doing them.

It's illegal in less states than it's legal IIRC anyway, so stop talking like places with this inane law are the majority.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Going to the DMV today since I turned 21. Took the highway. Lady in a blue Corolla trucking down a water-covered highway at 85 mph, or 10 over the speed limit. :stonk:

Happy birthday. :) Enjoy your horizontal license (in my state at least). It's weird seeing the expiration date so far ahead on your license after you turn 21, and thinking about how old you'll be then.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Michael Scott posted:

Happy birthday. :) Enjoy your horizontal license.

Also you'll find that now that you have that fancy "I'm legal" horizontal license that you can show off, nobody will ever bother to check it anymore. It's like they know :tinfoil:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It's also the last time your birthday has any significance beyond possibly getting a free beer or some cake :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Galler posted:

It's also the last time your birthday has any significance beyond possibly getting a free beer or some cake :(

Insurance rates go down at 25 :toot:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Nope. That's a myth that just refuses to die I'm sorry to say.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You can rent a car at 25, or is that a myth too?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

rscott posted:

You can rent one at 18. Some companies do charge less as you get older.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Galler posted:

Well poo poo

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have no idea if mine did or not because that is the same year I managed to get in an accident and got 3 inspection tickets. I stopped looking at the bill and started just bending over and paying it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Galler posted:

Mine did. Sorry bro.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Somehow the law requiring a hands-free device to be used for phone calls while driving has been interpreted as "hold the phone 4 inches in front of your face on speaker." There is an incredible amount of retarded people.

I always think of this when I see them:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Insurance rates can and do change for a million different reasons but there's no universal turn 25 and get a big discount rule. Not saying yours didn't just that it's not something you can count on.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

rscott posted:

I looked at Enterprise for the hell of it one day, and they restrict which cars you can rent under 25. At 23 they would not give me a full size passenger van, for example.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Galler posted:

There's two more important birthdays: when you hit 25 and are no longer a demographic that anyone markets to (seriously, anything you ever cared about just disappears), and 55 when AARP hits you with their marketing machine gun.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Jesus christ you're not kidding about the last one. My dad is 65 now and the AARP mail never stops.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Actually, people should just use the PX-100s or the PX-100 IIs, period. They easily outperform headphones costing five to ten times as much, and they take a beating.

Very true. I love these things. The only headphones I've used which were better were my dad's $700 Grados.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

xzzy posted:

There's two more important birthdays: when you hit 25 and are no longer a demographic that anyone markets to (seriously, anything you ever cared about just disappears), and 55 when AARP hits you with their marketing machine gun.

I somehow got on their list at around 27. That was annoying.

It was around the same time the college I graduated from started trying to sell my car insurance.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You can try using this. I'm giving AARP the 12 weeks (!!) they said it would take to get off their mailing list. After that I'll use this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_Order

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

CharlesM posted:

You can try using this. I'm giving AARP the 12 weeks (!!) they said it would take to get off their mailing list. After that I'll use this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibitory_Order

They just stopped at some point. I dunno. Was weird.

I'm guessing I'll turn 65 and they'll ignore me to make up for it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Galler posted:

Jesus christ you're not kidding about the last one. My dad is 65 now and the AARP mail never stops.

I'm 31 and the AARP mail never stops... I got one this week wishing me a happy 65th birthday.

Someone's data is hosed...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A friend of mine in college was really good at bowling and ended up in a couple championships, then the AARP mail firehose began. It was really pretty funny.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

This morning I was sitting at a red light in the middle lane here. A lady pulled up next to me in the rightmost non-turning lane. She looked over her shoulder to her left a few times. No big deal, people tend to go in that lane to leapfrog ahead of other traffic(the right lane gives out after the intersection, and this is all immediately after an interchange with I-94). I assume that's what she's planning on doing.

The protected left phase comes up, through traffic still has a red. The woman to my right proceeds to make an incredibly ballsy left turn, and gives me an incredibly sheepish look for the two seconds we made eye contact. Not shown on the streetview image are two perfectly fine left turn only lanes she could have been in.

loving hell, why not just turn off on the gas station across the way and use it to make a u-turn of sorts? How "I have to turn nownownow" do you have to be to do something that reckless? :psyduck:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Haifisch posted:

This morning I was sitting at a red light in the middle lane here. A lady pulled up next to me in the rightmost non-turning lane. She looked over her shoulder to her left a few times. No big deal, people tend to go in that lane to leapfrog ahead of other traffic(the right lane gives out after the intersection, and this is all immediately after an interchange with I-94). I assume that's what she's planning on doing.

The protected left phase comes up, through traffic still has a red. The woman to my right proceeds to make an incredibly ballsy left turn, and gives me an incredibly sheepish look for the two seconds we made eye contact. Not shown on the streetview image are two perfectly fine left turn only lanes she could have been in.

loving hell, why not just turn off on the gas station across the way and use it to make a u-turn of sorts? How "I have to turn nownownow" do you have to be to do something that reckless? :psyduck:

Louis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQSRPMFDTSs

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
Dear self important Nashville traffic; please, when seeing the turn signal on an 18 wheeler indicating a lane change to the left lane do not try and pass on the left after half the trailer occupies the lane. Also put your phone down so by time you realize what you're doing you don't have to jerk the wheel hard to the median to avoid me (seriously, I was merging slow enough you could have just applied the brakes). Further, don't try to get me to follow you down an off ramp to discuss it with you. However, you are free to follow me to my next stop, 350 miles away.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
On my drive to work today I was behind a SUV whose brake lights would not engage when they braked. It was a Honda Pilot and if I recall correctly they have the light bar in the upper center that activates when you brake as well, at least it looked like it had one, and it never turned on. How do people accomplish this and more importantly how do they not get rear ended frequently?

At least he ran a red light. Put some distance in-between me and him.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

On my drive to work today I was behind a SUV whose brake lights would not engage when they braked. It was a Honda Pilot and if I recall correctly they have the light bar in the upper center that activates when you brake as well, at least it looked like it had one, and it never turned on. How do people accomplish this and more importantly how do they not get rear ended frequently?

At least he ran a red light. Put some distance in-between me and him.

People drive manual transmission vehicles which do this all the time. You need to pay attention to more than brake lights. Not everyone does, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EightBit posted:

People drive manual transmission vehicles which do this all the time. You need to pay attention to more than brake lights. Not everyone does, though.

When I owned a manual, sometimes I'd challenge myself to commute all the way home without ever once touching the brakes. Wouldn't do it in heavy traffic or if people were behind me, but four lane roads with light traffic? Heck yeah.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

EightBit posted:

sure, but honda pilots don't have manual transmissions.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

xzzy posted:

When I owned a manual, sometimes I'd challenge myself to commute all the way home without ever once touching the brakes. Wouldn't do it in heavy traffic or if people were behind me, but four lane roads with light traffic? Heck yeah.

I do this too. I had someone pass me and cut in front of me because I was coasting as slow as possible while the light was still red to keep from stopping.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

xzzy posted:

I do this all the time, since driving in seattle gives me constant opportunities to be stuck in traffic. Hell, I actually still do it in my JSW, drop the transmission into *sport* mode, and it actually will downshift aggressively enough that I rarely have to touch my brakes while in traffic.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I do this too. I had someone pass me and cut in front of me because I was coasting as slow as possible while the light was still red to keep from stopping.

I do this too and it's amazing to see how many people get mad that you're not accelerating towards a red light :jerkbag:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People generally hate gas and brake pads. It's the only reason I can come up with to explain that behavior.. they're just that eager to pull into a gas station again and dump $60 into a round hole or badger their mechanic whether it's okay to put another 10k on a set of paper thin pads.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

BraveUlysses posted:

I do this too and it's amazing to see how many people get mad that you're not accelerating towards a red light :jerkbag:

I still get strange looks when I'm asked why I am slowing down by my own drat passengers. Well, in about 1000ft it drops 10mph. There is no viable reason to hammer down straight up to the next speed limit sign and reseat your brake pads while testing your seatbelts' automatic locking mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Or when someone cuts you off and drives off at 15+ the limit and then you pull up beside them at the next stop light. I usually give them a friendly wave.