Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Rorus Raz posted:

It's something of a recent tradition for Tinsley to take Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a opportunity to be smugly racist. He'll intentionally not mention it, and then do a cartoon the following day where ducky answers an angry letter about why Tinsley didn't mention...Squirrel Appreciation Day! Ho ho, Tinsley, you are so clever.

He just doesn't bother mentioning the holiday at all until 2008, and that's only to say how the media is totally wrong about how racist America is.

Unless some time travel was involved those are both the 2013 cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
My prediction: It's going to be another "New Years Prediction" thing, but this being Mallard Fillmore, he'll incorporate "Squirrel Appreciation Day!" awkwardly somewhere.

Maybe it will involve Kim Jung Un's uncle, for all we know.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah I fixed it.

Also, I have never heard Nye talk about nuclear power, whereas I've seen him talk about global warming and evolution a lot. Not the worst flaw to have unless he's pumping a lot of money into anti-nuclear lobbying behind the scenes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

visceril posted:

Whatever I can understand being wary of nuclear and even being alarmist about it.

Do you really want the fuckups responsible for all of our fossil-fuel-related environmental messes in charge of way more nuclear plants, suddenly having a big interest in deregulating that industry?

Fact of the matter is, if we have to deal with private ownership of power generation, those assholes can do way less damage with a windmill or solar panel than they can with radioactive materials.

By this logic I'd be valid to say because private industries cut corners all those windmill blades will be fixed on with gum and double stick tape and are prone to go flying off any minute now.

edit: Reminder Bill Nye also is in the "The Fukishima meltdown will kill us all" camp, he's legit dumb as poo poo about nuclear power, you can be smart about one thing and dumb about another.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

rjryan3 posted:

/\ More excellent points on why Bill Nye isn't an idiot for being anti-nuclear.

Yes how dare someone be against a power source that creates radioactive waste that takes millions of years to decompose and can create an environmental disaster when a power plant has a meltdown. :allears:

When they justify their arguments using false science then yes it is a problem.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Holy poo poo how was he not fired immediately.

"I'm not racist"

*compares black people to rodents*

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"I'm not racist"

Tinsley is a huamn shitstain that unfortunatly still gets work so that the paper can print it next to Doonesbury and pretend to be balanced.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Besides, that's not as bad as his "national conversation on race? let's start with the knockout game" comic.

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

By this logic I'd be valid to say because private industries cut corners all those windmill blades will be fixed on with gum and double stick tape and are prone to go flying off any minute now.

edit: Reminder Bill Nye also is in the "The Fukishima meltdown will kill us all" camp, he's legit dumb as poo poo about nuclear power, you can be smart about one thing and dumb about another.

Irradiation posted:

When they justify their arguments using false science then yes it is a problem.

Can you provide source for these claims? Because unless I see evidence it just sounds like you two are just upset that Bill Nye doesn't recognize the "brilliance of nuclear power".

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"I'm not racist"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Tinsley is a huamn shitstain that unfortunatly still gets work so that the paper can print it next to Doonesbury and pretend to be balanced.

Also, Tinsley is, technically, self-employed. How many self-employed people fire themselves?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

rjryan3 posted:

Can you provide source for these claims? Because unless I see evidence it just sounds like you two are just upset that Bill Nye doesn't recognize the "brilliance of nuclear power".

No they're right the Fukushima fallout has been way overblown and the people that are freaking out about it are either yellow journalists or people who aren't listening to the science or don't understand the science.

I do think nuclear power is long-term better than coal and oil...but solar and wind are better still. It takes way less capital to set up the latter than the former. On top of that, R&D into improving wind and solar is way cheaper/more fruitful than R&D to improve the safety/yield of nuclear.

And of course, there's the fact that you don't have to mine solar or wind energy, and while blades can gently caress with birds they can't poison water, give you cancer, etc.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

rjryan3 posted:

Phoneposting, but if you just google "Bill Nye Fukushima" I think literally ANY of the first ten results will do it for you.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sounds like some liberal Fairness Doctrine hooey to me. Of course, it's only bad when they want more liberal views expressed, making sure conservative comics are in there is just logical.

Bill Day, is that you?

Which is why we still have a drone program. Your point?

That dirty French sexhaver!

Poor Joe Biden. No respect, I tells ya...

Do any of these cartoonists realize that young people can only sign up between 26 and 30? (I know the answer to that.)

This got a 5 star rating on Cagle's site.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

visceril posted:

And of course, there's the fact that you don't have to mine solar or wind energy, and while blades can gently caress with birds they can't poison water, give you cancer, etc.

I realize that the windmills-killing-birds thing is never really brought up except as a concern troll (as evidenced by the fact that both Asay, who is among other things a big-oil fanboy, and McMillan, the primitivist who hates all forms of energy, have made cartoons about it), but is there any reason why we couldn't take the same approach to them we take with swivel fans and surround the turbine with a grate? Would that lower the efficiency too much to make them feasible?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rorus Raz posted:

It's something of a recent tradition for Tinsley to take Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a opportunity to be smugly racist. He'll intentionally not mention it, and then do a cartoon the following day where ducky answers an angry letter about why Tinsley didn't mention...Squirrel Appreciation Day! Ho ho, Tinsley, you are so clever.

He just doesn't bother mentioning the holiday at all until 2008, and that's only to say how the media is totally wrong about how racist America is.

It's true, if there's one holiday that completely commercialized, it's Martin Luther King Day, the day that some but not even most people get off that is otherwise completely ignored by industry.

And yeah, you have to be pretty tone deaf to decide that "rodent community" is going to be the best harmless analogy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rjryan3 posted:

For one he claims that cesium, a highly dangerous product of fission, is used to 'control reactors' which is basically as wrong as you can be about a thing and something anyone who's even Googled nuclear reactions knows. That alone should show he knows nothing about the issue.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/03/25/exp.nr.nye.dangers.leaking.reactor.cnn

Along with that he's claimed 'radiation sickness' is sweeping Japan because of the meltdown, which, again, is absurd.

He also says that the solution to Fukushima is to 'dump concrete on it like Chernobyl'.

He really has no clue about what nuclear power IS let alone has any authority on its safety.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

loquacius posted:

I realize that the windmills-killing-birds thing is never really brought up except as a concern troll (as evidenced by the fact that both Asay, who is among other things a big-oil fanboy, and McMillan, the primitivist who hates all forms of energy, have made cartoons about it), but is there any reason why we couldn't take the same approach to them we take with swivel fans and surround the turbine with a grate? Would that lower the efficiency too much to make them feasible?

It's going to be a pretty heavy and expensive grate.

I can imagine that it wouldn't actually reduce bird fatalities either with smaller birds deciding that the grates make great nesting places and throwing their chicks into the blades
EDIT: And eagles would still fly into the grates and kill themselves on those

Domattee fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 17, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nuclear power needs to be in every DnD thread's Things We Can't Handle list.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Domattee posted:

It's going to be a pretty heavy and expensive grate.

I can imagine that it wouldn't actually reduce bird fatalities either with smaller birds deciding that the grates make great nesting places and throwing their chicks into the blades
EDIT: And eagles would still fly into the grates and kill themselves on those

A grate the size of an entire office building.

You don't really grasp how huge those windmills are until you end up in traffic (in my case, on a motorcycle) alongside an eighteen-wheeler hauling one blade for one of those things. It's longer than a city bus and about as wide. When it had to turn left at a light to get onto the service road to enter the interstate, it had to go to the far right lane to start out and literally blocked the entire eight lanes of intersection as it passed through. I popped the visor up on my helmet and just gawked.

VitalSigns posted:

I keep forgetting this thread is in DnD. I'm generally of the mindset that I just don't go to DnD because politics aaaaaaaaaa I'm just a drummer, I'm going back to NMD where it's safe. But I like cartoons.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Additionally I would bet way more birds fly into windows- they're not bright creatures.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Additionally I would bet way more birds fly into windows- they're not bright creatures.
Except corvids, those fuckers are intelligent, but yeah those avian dinosaurs aren't the brightest bulbs

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Windmills don't kill particularly many birds, but they do in a fairly gruesome way. If you were really concerned about birds though you'd ban cats, tall buildings, and coal power plants, all of which kill far more birds than windmills.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

Just make one list, things DnD can't handle: Disagreement.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I disagree!

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012
/\ I here ya.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

For one he claims that cesium, a highly dangerous product of fission, is used to 'control reactors' which is basically as wrong as you can be about a thing and something anyone who's even Googled nuclear reactions knows. That alone should show he knows nothing about the issue.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/03/25/exp.nr.nye.dangers.leaking.reactor.cnn

Along with that he's claimed 'radiation sickness' is sweeping Japan because of the meltdown, which, again, is absurd.

He also says that the solution to Fukushima is to 'dump concrete on it like Chernobyl'.

He really has no clue about what nuclear power IS let alone has any authority on its safety.

Ok, so Bill Nye doesn't know a thing about nuclear power, I'll admit it. However, I find it very odd that you immediately dismiss visceral's point about how nuclear power is not a best option when a chemical plant in West Virginia that poisoned the water supply last week hasn't been inspected since 1991.

And Irradiation, did you have any evidence of Bill Nye being an anti-nuclear lobbyist, because so far it just sounds like CNN grab a person to talk about a subject they know nothing about because CNN are run by idiots.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Rebochan posted:

What, Ted, you didn't DRAW a drone too!?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Try to parse this loving sentence :psyduck:
I also have no idea what 7oden is going on about given that the consensus still seems to be that Hillary would win handily if she decides she wants to run.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think we had a like 3 page derail about backpacks in one thread in here one time.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Sorry lobbyist was the wrong word for me to use. I meant proponent.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Someone called Bill Nye a piece of poo poo.

These are dark times we live in, my friends.

My favorite thing about reading the Something Awful forums is that I rapidly learn why I should hate every thing and every one, because everyone is a piece of poo poo apparently.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rjryan3 posted:

/\ I here ya.

Ok, so Bill Nye doesn't know a thing about nuclear power, I'll admit it. However, I find it very odd that you immediately dismiss visceral's point about how nuclear power is not a best option when a chemical plant in West Virginia that poisoned the water supply last week hasn't been inspected since 1991.

And Irradiation, did you have any evidence of Bill Nye being an anti-nuclear lobbyist, because so far it just sounds like CNN grab a person to talk about a subject they know nothing about because CNN are run by idiots.

Yea there needs to be good regulation, this is true for everything. Visceral's point was only a few steps from the 'guess we might as well not have laws' bullshit. Like yea, private companies can be lovely but so can the government, the issue is regulation and oversight not who's pulling the switch.

Also I have no issue at all with government run power production but that's a much more difficult fight I imagine.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rebochan posted:

Wow, still no gun comic from Bill Day. And we've had two shootings in a week!

So, who's going to be the first conservative cartoonist to drag out this quote to bash affirmative action? You know they're gonna. That one line is probably the only thing King ever said that they pay attention to.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I would imagine that a catastrophic wind accident would probably be far less destructive than a catastrophic nuclear accident, wouldn't it?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cabbit posted:

I would imagine that a catastrophic wind accident would probably be far less destructive than a catastrophic nuclear accident, wouldn't it?

I dunno, are we going to enter into who can tell the best short story territory here? I imagine you get those blades flying you can make a chunk of the area look like Man of Steel just went through.

The point is that catastrophic nuclear failures are rare, and almost always caused by the government failing to regulate and protect. Private industry will cut corners, and it's the government's role to create rules and restrictions that mean when they do cut corners the situation is 'gently caress my power sucks this month' and not 'gently caress the plant is melting down, time to flee'.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The point is that catastrophic nuclear failures are rare, and almost always caused by the government failing to regulate and protect. Private industry will cut corners, and it's the government's role to create rules and restrictions that mean when they do cut corners the situation is 'gently caress my power sucks this month' and not 'gently caress the plant is melting down, time to flee'.
Hmm yes it's clearly the government's fault hmm yessssssss

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Systematic System posted:

If you were really concerned about birds though you'd ban cats, tall buildings, and coal power plants

Have you got a petition I can sign?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The thread is derailing, time to bust out the big guns.

I indirectly knew Pulitzer-winning editorial cartoonist Doug Marlette before his tragic death, anyone have any questions about him?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

colonel_korn posted:

Try to parse this loving sentence :psyduck:
I also have no idea what 7oden is going on about given that the consensus still seems to be that Hillary would win handily if she decides she wants to run.

It's what she said in her senate testimony, that it didn't matter if it was because of a video or if a bunch of guys were out for a walk, they needed to be dealt with regardless.

Cabbit posted:

I hate to add to this derail, but I believe that the death per kilowatthour for nuclear is less than that of wind and solar combined but not separate.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

duz posted:

I hate to add to this derail, but I believe that the death per kilowatthour for nuclear is less than that of wind and solar combined but not separate.
Does that include the mining of uranium and such?

no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

R. Mute posted:

Hmm yes it's clearly the government's fault hmm yessssssss

No it's both party's fault you reactionary baby, but the government is the only one in the relationship with the ability to force their standards on the industry.

• Locked thread