Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Caged posted:

"Our IT is poo poo here", says the department lead who won't buy new hardware and deals with slow unreliable old poo poo.

Are there many managers left who get duped by that?

A bit of history from my previous job which is partially what led me to leaving(in addition to being woefully underpaid):

The company had 2 major divisions, each of which did pretty much the same thing, just with different target audiences. They both used completely separate systems cobbled together over many years, both using a variety of ancient software that didn't talk to each other at all and required lots of manual work to move stuff around. The CEO eventually saw that these ancient cobbled together systems were seriously slowing down production and that things could be a lot more efficient with a modern system. The in house IT(us) were assigned the task of building this new system. Both divisions were told to work on requirements to create a system that could fulfill everyone's needs. After all, the end result of both divisions was the same, just the target and process were different.

The end had several hundred pages of badly written, incomplete, incomprehensible, and generally useless requirements. We had to constantly work with our "customers" to make sense of the requirements to build something usable. This is where the problem came in. We were supposed to work with both division to come up with systems that both could use. One of the divisions was willing to work with us, grudgingly. The other division, however, was headed by a technophobe who was as obstinate as she could be, and every meeting she or her Sr people actually attended dissolved into bickering matches either with themselves or with the other division or with us.

In the end we continued to ask for their input, which they didn't provide, but mostly held meetings with the division that was willing to work with us. We spent 5 years working on this system. It had a few small issues, but in general streamlined their process immensely and removed a lot of busywork. We also kind of made an entire department redundant(you know the guy on office space whose job was to take the requirements from the customers to the developers? Think that, just moving information between 2 systems). We continued to make improvements to it, although occasionally there were setbacks caused by incompetent management from random people assigned to be in charge of the project.

Then the old CEO planned on retiring. One of his last orders of business is that he said that he expected both divisions to be using our system within the next 2 years after he left.

New CEO gets hired. Before the ink is even dry on his employment contract(or whatever CEOs have to sign) the technophobic head of the division who had, for 5 years, refused to work with us against the orders of the CEO ran to the new CEO and cried about how the in house IT sucked and we had made this horrible system that her division couldn't use(technically it is true that the system was built more around the process of the other division, the one who actually worked with us and let us understand how their process even worked). The project is immediately canned and they start to look for 3rd party software to replace our system, eventually choosing one that in the end will make no one happy and doesn't do half of what our system did.

tl;dr: There are at least CEOs who will believe "our IT is poo poo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

H1KE posted:

The weight was because it was plugged into an ancient [late 90's at best], dust covered, D-Link 8-port hub

This is like finding King Tut's tomb except instead of a solid gold sarcophagus you discover a mind blistering item of incompetence. I wouldn't even be mad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
No more LogMeIn Free.

Upshot: A great excuse to not do friends/family support anymore!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inspector_666 posted:

No more LogMeIn Free.

Upshot: A great excuse to not do friends/family support anymore!

gently caress! Are there any other good, free alternatives that you can leave running 24/7 on Uncle Bob's computer?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Teamviewer can be used for that kind of thing, not sure if it's comparably convenient though

yeah I've not had any problems with it, just have them send you the ID/Password they see when they launch the program and you should be all set

emdash fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 21, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TheQat posted:

Teamviewer can be used for that kind of thing, not sure if it's comparably convenient though

We use that company-wide, but I was using LogMeIn for a few personal things. Don't really have any problems with TeamViewer.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, I was already replacing LogMeIn with Teamviewer for the people I support remotely (primarily my parents). Looks like I was ahead of the game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
And wow, LMI isn't even offering a cheaper subscription option to replace Free. You have to buy the full Pro sub, which isn't cheap.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress! Are there any other good, free alternatives that you can leave running 24/7 on Uncle Bob's computer?

Guys in my office use join.me but it's run by logmein so it will probably be going down soon.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mewse posted:

Guys in my office use join.me but it's run by logmein so it will probably be going down soon.

It's also terrible at having a remote user control a machine, unfortunately.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mewse posted:

The announcement specifically says they're not changing Join.me, I think they're planning on having that replace LMI Free even though they're not really similar at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mewse posted:

join.me works but you need someone to initiate the host connection.

If you sign into LogMeIn you get a list of PC's on that account:

Mom's laptop
Dad's computer
Office PC
Aunt Brenda's laptop
Uncle Joe's computer
Hot chick from the dentist office I'm stalking's Desktop

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Whats wrong with Teamviewer?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SEKCobra posted:

Whats wrong with Teamviewer?

No idea. Always used it, it's always pretty usable even over a mediocre connection, and is dead simple to use.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Inspector_666 posted:

The announcement specifically says they're not changing Join.me, I think they're planning on having that replace LMI Free even though they're not really similar at all.
Didn't they explicitly discontinue the Free product because they figured out the same time as everyone else that freemium never actually makes you more money?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

TeamViewer is nice because they have their servers insured to run 10 years beyond the failure of the company.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I use logmein all the time, both for use in getting onto my home computer from my work computer or phone, and for helping my family with issues that does not require any action on their part. People are touting teamviewer as an alternative, but I'm not sure how much of one it is for me. I require something that does not need to be installed on the remoting computer. I can't even use the FF or Chrome extensions for logmein, I have to use the js version. Also, does it require any action on the host computer?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Chrome Remote Desktop has been a thing for a while, and there's rumors they're making Android and iOS apps for it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

anthonypants posted:

Chrome Remote Desktop has been a thing for a while, and there's rumors they're making Android and iOS apps for it.

Yeah, a friend told me about it. I've been able to get it to work. Its missing some of the nice features of logmein, but at least it is usable and free.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
You dont need to install teamviewer. Download and run it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Non-IT related but Yoplait yogurt is the thing that pisses me off.

Like that doorknob that shocks Peter Gibbons every morning when he comes in to work, peeling back the foil lid of a Yoplait container and having it spit out a few drops of yogurt onto my sleeve or pants every morning seems to be another tiny indignity I must face each morning.

Seriously, Yoplait. Is there some reason you have to package your yogurt slightly over-pressurized? I try to remember to peel off the lid starting with the far side so that the spitting of yogurt is pointed away from me, but what about the times when I'm engrossed in an email (or browsing these forums) and unthinkingly grab a yogurt from my lunch box? *spit* Right across my hand, shirt cuff and pants.

Edit: ...and apparently I am not alone in this thinking.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 21, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Agrikk posted:

Seriously, Yoplait. Is there some reason you have to package your yogurt slightly over-pressurized?

I would think this has something to do with the fact that yogurt is the result of a fermentation process, a byproduct of which is CO2.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Misogynist posted:

Didn't they explicitly discontinue the Free product because they figured out the same time as everyone else that freemium never actually makes you more money?

Probably, but the fact that they didn't add in any sort of option below full-blown Pro pricing means everybody is just going to switch to Teamviewer now. I would gladly pay (read: make the people I support with it pay) $20-30 per year for 5 computers with the limited free functionality, but LMI wants $49 for 2 for the first year, then I'm pretty sure it goes up to $100, and comes with buttloads of stuff I will never need.

HalloKitty posted:

No idea. Always used it, it's always pretty usable even over a mediocre connection, and is dead simple to use.

I didn't know they did a centralized list of computers with the free accounts, I thought it was just "Give code, remote in" when you needed.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Today I'm hating on Java. After pushing version 7 update 51 to our server department, the guys that are monitoring SiteScope all of the sudden can't view any of the alerts, and if they try to log in, it just errs out. Ok, I tell them for the short term to change the security level on the Configure Java to medium until they can check if SiteScope came out with an update for this, since they've never had to adjust that before. The other program it broke was Screenr. Again, adding the website to the Exception site list in Java isn't hard, but that wasn't needed before. Why now? On the 15th, Screenr says their engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. No update since then.

gently caress you Java.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I would think this has something to do with the fact that yogurt is the result of a fermentation process, a byproduct of which is CO2.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2008/0211-science_of__snacking.htm

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Carbonated yogurt? I... I don't even...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Inspector_666 posted:

I didn't know they did a centralized list of computers with the free accounts

Yup, this is possible!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

americanzero4128 posted:

Today I'm hating on Java. After pushing version 7 update 51 to our server department, the guys that are monitoring SiteScope all of the sudden can't view any of the alerts, and if they try to log in, it just errs out. Ok, I tell them for the short term to change the security level on the Configure Java to medium until they can check if SiteScope came out with an update for this, since they've never had to adjust that before. The other program it broke was Screenr. Again, adding the website to the Exception site list in Java isn't hard, but that wasn't needed before. Why now? On the 15th, Screenr says their engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. No update since then.

gently caress you Java.

It also broke your Cisco ASDM console and most HP switch consoles. Hooray!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Non-IT related but Yoplait yogurt is the thing that pisses me off.

Like that doorknob that shocks Peter Gibbons every morning when he comes in to work, peeling back the foil lid of a Yoplait container and having it spit out a few drops of yogurt onto my sleeve or pants every morning seems to be another tiny indignity I must face each morning.

What kind of scrub eats Yoplait?

First of all you should be only eating Greek yogurt. And Fage, Chobani, or some small brand. Not Dannon or Yoplait.

Also, it's yoghurt :smug:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

First of all you should be only eating Greek yogurt. And Fage, Chobani, or some small brand. Not Dannon or Yoplait.

Chobani had that mold problem late last year, and other than that I can't think of a difference between them and any other big-name manufacturer.

Also, all of the manufacturers you listed spell it yogurt :smug:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

anthonypants posted:

Chobani had that mold problem late last year, and other than that I can't think of a difference between them and any other big-name manufacturer.

Also, all of the manufacturers you listed spell it yogurt :smug:

I had a box of the mold chobani. Every tube was extremely distended and when opened shot greek yogurt... john stamos joke here...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

What, you guys aren't making your own yogurt? Plebes. :smuggo:

tbqh I can't stand yogurt, I think it's a texture thing

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Yoplait is sweet yummy pretend-good-for-you goodnes. Greek yogurt is bitter and gross.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Agrikk posted:

Yoplait is sweet yummy pretend-good-for-you goodnes. Greek yogurt is bitter and gross.

Plain greek yogurt + honey = awesome.

I will admit whipped yoplait rules.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Plain greek yogurt + honey = awesome.

This. I will never understand why people pay 3x the price for premixed yogurt and honey. Is dipping a spoon into a honey jar really that time consuming? Plus Greek yogurt goes with loads of other stuff.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Plain greek yogurt is bitter and gross + honey (also gross)= not awesome.

FTFY

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

poo poo that pisses me off: I still have to wait a whole hour to meet with the person giving me a job offer over dinner tonight. :yotj:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

KillHour posted:

poo poo that pisses me off: I still have to wait a whole hour to meet with the person giving me a job offer over dinner tonight. :yotj:

Great user ID and post combo.

Maybe you should... kill an hour? :D

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I have massive amounts of honey slowly turning into phenomenal alcohol in my closet as we speak. poo poo that pisses me off: waiting months for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitanAmerica
Jan 19, 2014

by Pipski
loving got new ram for my computer today was SOOO loving happy i've been stuck with 4gbs for over a year. So I go to install the ram, slide it into the second slot. Press the start button. Computer starts beeping loudly. I make sure it's own right, try again. Computer BEEPS LOUDLY. So I take it out and put my original stick of ram in the second slot and my new stick in the first one. COMPUTER BEEPS LOUDLY. Remove the new ram completely. COMPUTER BEEPS LOUDLY. Put the new ram back in the first slot, remove the original from the second slot. Computer starts up.

gently caress. You. Motherboard.