Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually, his reason for not going to Choose Goose was that he needed a sword, and the armor Choose Goose sold them was [insert hourglass hand gesture here]. That at least was a pretty (un)subtle nod to the phallic nature of swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Finn loses his arm, gains Grass Venom as his nemesis.

Grass Venom later spawns Crabgrass Carnage, Cartoon Network produces summer event movie Maximum Carnage Adventure Time.

MojoKingBee posted:

Seriously though

What the gently caress are these things even?

Pretty boy zombies?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Roland Jones posted:

Actually, his reason for not going to Choose Goose was that he needed a sword, and the armor Choose Goose sold them was [insert hourglass hand gesture here]. That at least was a pretty (un)subtle nod to the phallic nature of swords.
...or that it just wasn't (literally) fitting armor? Wow this post I'm writing is totally phallic, look it keeps getting longer as I type, much like how one's self worth is often measured in the length of their penis, so should I be measured in the length of this post.

ScumLord69
Jun 3, 2012

MojoKingBee posted:

Okay, now you're seriously reaching. His old sword broke, so he got a new one. How is that phallic? Freud would have a field day on you, I tell ya.

If I had photoshop I'd make a .gif of that part where Finn unzips his sleeping bag and whips out his grass sword in a state of panic. I definitely remember having similar experiences when I was a tween. But then at the end of the episode he adopts a healthy attitude towards his libido. You're free to read into this episode how ever much or little you want to, though. :)

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
This object which stiffens and unstiffens and is now part of his body forever is totally not a phallic symbol imo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ScumLord69 posted:

Surprised nobody mentioned how this episode was unambiguously exploring Finn's puberty via boner sword. The symbolism all seemed very obvious, almost heavy handed (the shop he buys it from is a giant hairy vagina even). I'm guessing it's kind of a given at this point that the interplay between phallic and yonic symbols is one of the central characteristics of the show. I think that's rad for a children's show, especially considering how healthy the lesson seems to be here.

Steve Yun posted:

It's interesting that once Finn accepts it he's no longer scared of it and gains some control over it. Like Jung's shadow or something.
I was waiting to see who else caught on to it actually ;)

Note that this guy tries to make Finn feel shame over his "curse" and when Finn decides to accept it, it's not scary anymore.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 21, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it's an unsubtle reference to the fact that the time they went to Choose Goose for armor, they ended up with this:

Thus the hand gesture. But hey, if you wanna see dicks everywhere then be my guest.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes a cursed sword Is just a cursed sword, boys. You are way overreaching on this one.
Besides, if it was supposed to be a member, everyone knows it's supposed to be a bludgeoning weapon, not a slashing. Get your attack types right! :colbert:

Edit: close your tags ya dingdong

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 21, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The phallic imagery is obvious, especially given how blatant the show has been in the past.

That doesn't mean this show is about Finn discovering his penis. It's about Finn buying a new sword. But this is an intentionally constructed work of fiction, not a documentary, and that means that many of the concepts in it are similar to other, less specific concepts.

Edit: it is okay & legitimate to notice things like that

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 21, 2014

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

TwoPair posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it's an unsubtle reference to the fact that the time they went to Choose Goose for armor, they ended up with this:

Thus the hand gesture. But hey, if you wanna see dicks everywhere then be my guest.

Yeah the whole point was Choose Goose sold them lady armor, and this time they need a man's weapon.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

All swords are dicks.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 35 hours!)

Spiffster posted:

Edit: close your tags ya dingdong

Check out this phallic imagery!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Let's not get stuck on "this sword is a penis" when the more interesting thing is "puberty is something that adolescents are taught to be ashamed of, but accepting your own sexuality is a healthy attitude and will give you better control over yourself"

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 21, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Some of you guys are fixated on "this sword is a penis" when the more interesting thing is "puberty is something that adolescents are taught to be ashamed of, but accepting your own sexuality is a healthy attitude and will give you better control over yourself"

Exactly this. If you stop at "the sword is a penis" because talking about penises is icky, you can't carry that line of reasoning forward and discover what they're actually saying about penises. Which in this case happens to be a good and reasonable thing to say.

(And if you don't think it is, then for you it can be about swords and not about penises. That's okay too.)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Are we really fixated on it when we downplay it don't bring it up at all?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What I'm more curious about is what's up with all the candle imagery.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
At first the curse is scary and makes you ashamed

But who knows, if you accept that it's there and stop being scared of it, you might even have fun with your curse.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 21, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

edit:

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, this is completely flying over my head right now.

edit: VVVV you're a goddamn genius

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 21, 2014

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Pretty sure it ties back into Flame Princess somehow. If it does, that's some interesting imagery with the sword carving Finn into the candle.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

tractor fanatic posted:

This object which stiffens and unstiffens and is now part of his body forever is totally not a phallic symbol imo
I wish mine would do that whenever I want and I could cut candles with it in the shape of my head. And, yes, sometimes I just like to have a weird old man chuck furniture at it.
Anyway, I highly doubt it's about penises or even puberty. What does Finn's blood sword symbolises? Did Finn have erectile dysfunction and thought about becoming asexual, but some old man re-awakened his sexuality? Wait, did this wizard abuse Finn then? Or maybe Choose Goose was Jesus, what about that? If anything, this episode was about pot and how to properly handle the situation when your dealer pushes you some bad stuff. BLAZE IT WOOOOOOOOOO TWENTY THREE!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I find it hilarious that people are so vehemently denying phallic imagery in a show where there was an episode about the teenage main character having dreams about his girlfriend blasting him in the crotch. Dreams he really, really liked.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Look, this is penis imagery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_WeKcY0FJg&t=38s

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Roland Jones posted:

I find it hilarious that people are so vehemently denying phallic imagery in a show where there was an episode about the teenage main character having dreams about his girlfriend blasting him in the crotch. Dreams he really, really liked.

And also when one of the actual storyboard artists occasionally drops by the thread to say "Yes that was meant as symbolic imagery."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Roland Jones posted:

No, that's exactly why I struggle to believe it's one of these. Puberty is pretty much covered already and I don't see how buying a new sword adds to previous episodes on the subject.
Marceline's dad is still a massive oval office, though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every single one of these 148 episodes has to be about something completely different from all the others.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They don't have to but they sort of are.

ScumLord69
Jun 3, 2012

Paladinus posted:

I wish mine would do that whenever I want and I could cut candles with it in the shape of my head. And, yes, sometimes I just like to have a weird old man chuck furniture at it.
Anyway, I highly doubt it's about penises or even puberty. What does Finn's blood sword symbolises? Did Finn have erectile dysfunction and thought about becoming asexual, but some old man re-awakened his sexuality? Wait, did this wizard abuse Finn then? Or maybe Choose Goose was Jesus, what about that? If anything, this episode was about pot and how to properly handle the situation when your dealer pushes you some bad stuff. BLAZE IT WOOOOOOOOOO TWENTY THREE!

Dude do you not understand that symbolism can be fairly complex and may even deal in ambiguities? That's why it's ok for people to have varying interpretations of things.

Don't really see any of your suggested interpretations being particularly useful btw. They seem a little far-fetched to me, but whatever.

Paladinus posted:

They don't have to but they sort of are.

This season has prominently featured at least one multi-episode arc featuring many recurring elements, both narrative and thematic.

ScumLord69 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 21, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Don't worry guys, I'm sure the grass sword is inflammable.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Bongo Bill posted:

Every single one of these 148 episodes has to be about something completely different from all the others.

There's always a theme to the Graybles, but it's not always obvious at first!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If they wanted this to be about a phallus why didn't they replace finn's arm with abracadaniel

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Rita Repulsa posted:

If they wanted this to be about a phallus why didn't they replace finn's arm with abracadaniel

Cause you never know when that phallic image might turn yonic

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
O.K, everyone shut up now.
Back on subject...

Wedding Ring!

Is Finn going to sport a green wrist band from now on, or will he simply summon the sword from nowhere, anime style?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Paladinus posted:

No, that's exactly why I struggle to believe it's one of these. Puberty is pretty much covered already and I don't see how buying a new sword adds to previous episodes on the subject.

Frost and Fire featured Finn struggling with new confusing feelings and screwing up because of it. This episode featured him coming to embrace a scary new aspect of himself that he suddenly felt himself faced with.

This episode was a lot more symbolic than Frost and Fire (Frost and Fire was quite possibly literally about awakening sexuality) but even though this episode wasn't literally about penises, it's showing that Finn is growing in the way he deals with changes in his life and his self.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 35 hours!)

Sockser posted:

Don't worry guys, I'm sure the grass sword is inflammable.

Nice one.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Say Nothing posted:

Is Finn going to sport a green wrist band from now on, or will he simply summon the sword from nowhere, anime style?

Huh, that would be the first change to his regular design, wouldn't it?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Paladinus posted:

Anyway, I highly doubt it's about penises or even puberty. What does Finn's blood sword symbolises?

Well, it was his dad's sword. I suppose there's something Freudian about that...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Say Nothing posted:

Wedding Ring!

I don't think it's an accident that we got this conspicuous shot of her wedding ring at the same time that Finn adds a new permanent attachment to his arm. Their new duds are symbols of entering new chapters in their lives.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Roland Jones posted:

Wait

Which episode was this

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

But who knows, if you accept that it's there and stop being scared of it, you might even have fun with your curse.

So what you're saying is Finn is Dennis Reynolds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wait

Which episode was this

Frost and Fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aTPyYp7vEg

In the third dream, someone in this thread pointed out that Finn becomes a summary of puberty: an awkwardly proportioned hairy man-baby who babbles incoherently.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 22, 2014

• Locked thread