Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

pixelbaron posted:

Here's some shots of the church:

That 1 Samuel 17:47 is

And all this assembly shall know that the LORD saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the LORD'S, and he will give you into our hands.

It's kind of funny because first there's a new testament quote about Jesus being born to save the world, this this quote which is generic "God is powerful and on your side even if you can't see it", then Jesus showing his compassion for sick people - then Samson killing himself and the Phillistines? The first three I can see on the walls of any church but the last seems out of place. Not something you'd just paint on the wall of your church as an inspirational thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

coffeetable posted:

Yeah, neither episode felt anywhere near an hour to me. It's pacing is fantastic.

Alexandra Daddario, but that scene left a bad taste in my mouth because it was a reminder just how much more comfortable the US/HBO is with female nudity than male.

Having just binged watched The Wire a couple of weeks ago the male to female ratio was pretty even over the seasons. One of the episodes of Rome even open with a zoomed in gigantic cock as the starting frame after the opening credits.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
This show has been slow, but pretty cool thus far. I just hope it will eventually deliver, unlike say Carnivale.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I think the presence of the King in Yellow stuff is a real mark against the show. Consider that there are a few ways to play this,

A) Next week somebody says, "Hey, this King in Yellow / Carcosa stuff is from a short story that inspired HP Lovecraft" and we remain in the real world. This would probably be the best route, but also the most disappointing. We could still use some Mythos imagery, but we know that a shoggoth isn't going to show up and eat anyone at the end of the season. It also keeps the drama on the characters, rather than on the investigation, which seem to be splitting time right now.

B) This isn't the real world, and The King in Yellow was inspired in part by a serial killer but everything else is normal. This seems really weird to me, because why use established mythology its just going to be used to illustrate crazy. Maybe this would be fine pre-internet, but the audience will be looking this stuff up. Imagine if the killer had instead been referencing Time Cube. We could get little bits of the supernatural without ever confirming that it is supernatural. I hate this kind of writing. Waffling like this means that the writers teleport out of a plot hole whenever they want. See: Starbuck coming back from the dead on BSG.

C) The show goes full Call of Cthulhu. This would be ridiculous and would get a lot of ire from critics (unless, like Person of Interest it takes five seasons to become a genre show.) In a way, I kind of want to see this. I really want a Mythos show on TV, I think it could work. But this would be a huge reveal to have been kept completely under wraps for (at least) a season.

X) The Twin Peaks solution. The show establishes its own mythos and its own logic. Could work, but do we really want Cohle in Twin Peaks? I thin that show worked because it wasn't really about the murder. Not to mention, Twin Peaks never tried to be Se7en.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
It's obviously A. This show suddenly going supernatural wouldn't fit the tone at all.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
(A) with a good dose of the creepy stuff by way of Cohle's hallucinations.

I would dig a show this well done going full Lovecraft, though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bobby2times posted:

Have you never watched Oz?

I want to say that's old HBO, and that there's been a bit of a seachange since then. You just need to look at Looking, where by all pre-release accounts you're more likely to see a topless lady than a man's rear end, despite it being a show about gay men being gay together.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 22, 2014

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I want to say that's old HBO, and that there's been a bit of a seachange since then. You just need to look at <i>Looking</i>, where by all pre-release accounts you're more likely to see a topless lady than a man's rear end, despite .it being a show about gay men being gay together.

True Blood is like ninety percent man-butt.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Maybe this would be fine pre-internet, but the audience will be looking this stuff up.

I think you seriously overestimate the bearing that the small contingent of people that might:

a) Bother to look up a term online (that will eventually have an in-show explanation)
b) Know who Lovecraft is and having an understanding of his mythology, and
c) Would make the logical leap to assume that a giant tentacled god would show up in such a grounded show

would have on the production of the show. They snagged a term from an old story because it sounded cool and because it's a bit spooky for anyone who does happen to know Lovecraft. No need to sperg out and overcomplicate things by assuming that it means the show will suddenly become science-fiction for no reason.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I think the presence of the King in Yellow stuff is a real mark against the show. Consider that there are a few ways to play this,

So far the show has been awesome so I think it's worth giving the writers the benefit of the doubt.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

I think you seriously overestimate the bearing that the small contingent of people that might:

a) Bother to look up a term online (that will eventually have an in-show explanation)
b) Know who Lovecraft is and having an understanding of his mythology, and
c) Would make the logical leap to assume that a giant tentacled god would show up in such a grounded show

would have on the production of the show. They snagged a term from an old story because it sounded cool and because it's a bit spooky for anyone who does happen to know Lovecraft. No need to sperg out and overcomplicate things by assuming that it means the show will suddenly become science-fiction for no reason.

Anyway, the show is already bursting Lovecraftian inflections, it doesn't need any mythos elements, for example, practically everything Rust says about his world view, or the framing device of a documented investigation into events long past.

I'd bet that the King Yellow functions primarily as a nod to the thematic and tonal basis of the show, rather than anything whose real world origins are going to be tremendously plot important.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZorajitZorajit posted:

A) Next week somebody says, "Hey, this King in Yellow / Carcosa stuff is from a short story that inspired HP Lovecraft" and we remain in the real world. This would probably be the best route, but also the most disappointing. We could still use some Mythos imagery, but we know that a shoggoth isn't going to show up and eat anyone at the end of the season. It also keeps the drama on the characters, rather than on the investigation, which seem to be splitting time right now.

B) This isn't the real world, and The King in Yellow was inspired in part by a serial killer but everything else is normal. This seems really weird to me, because why use established mythology its just going to be used to illustrate crazy. Maybe this would be fine pre-internet, but the audience will be looking this stuff up. Imagine if the killer had instead been referencing Time Cube. We could get little bits of the supernatural without ever confirming that it is supernatural. I hate this kind of writing. Waffling like this means that the writers teleport out of a plot hole whenever they want. See: Starbuck coming back from the dead on BSG.

C) The show goes full Call of Cthulhu. This would be ridiculous and would get a lot of ire from critics (unless, like Person of Interest it takes five seasons to become a genre show.) In a way, I kind of want to see this. I really want a Mythos show on TV, I think it could work. But this would be a huge reveal to have been kept completely under wraps for (at least) a season.

X) The Twin Peaks solution. The show establishes its own mythos and its own logic. Could work, but do we really want Cohle in Twin Peaks? I thin that show worked because it wasn't really about the murder. Not to mention, Twin Peaks never tried to be Se7en.

The way I would write this would be to have Cohle's hallucinations be understood at the time to be hallucinations, but at some point in the third act have it become apparent that everything is actually real. Have the reveal come at some point when Cohle's been majorly discredited to the audience (maybe this is where the affair with Hart's wife comes into play).

Also, apart from being about a ritualized murder, I don't see the connection everyone makes with this and Se7en.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The King in Yellow is pretty subtle when it comes to the supernatural/occult aspects compared to Lovecraft. So if the creators of this show are using that as inspiration for the undercurrent of occult and atmosphere then I think it can be pulled off.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 22, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I didnt notice anything being called King of Yellow in this show, what are you guys talking about?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

WYA posted:

I didnt notice anything being called King of Yellow in this show, what are you guys talking about?

Exactly. It's just an ambiguous reference in her notebook, people are blowing this way out of proportion.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I feel like if this show went super natural outside of what is required in a southern gothic type story, I would be very disappointed. So far this does not at all appear to be the case, because it seems like smart people are making it

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

sector_corrector posted:

The way I would write this would be to have Cohle's hallucinations be understood at the time to be hallucinations, but at some point in the third act have it become apparent that everything is actually real. Have the reveal come at some point when Cohle's been majorly discredited to the audience (maybe this is where the affair with Hart's wife comes into play).

I would enjoy this series.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Javid posted:

I would dig a show this well done going full Lovecraft, though.

Hannibal is like one degree away from that if you just think of Mads Mikkelsen's Hannibal as the devil (which is what he said his approach is to playing the character).

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

Exactly. It's just an ambiguous reference in her notebook, people are blowing this way out of proportion.

although it is mentioned several times that the murdered prostitute was talking about "meeting a king" or something to that effect.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
The King in Yellow predates Lovecraft by 30 years. Just because most people who have heard the phrase now have heard it via Lovecraft's work doesn't mean the show has to take that tangent.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Anyone have a screenshot of her notebook/diary?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

Anyone have a screenshot of her notebook/diary?

Check a few pages back it's what set off this discussion.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
If the show is not going to include cosmic horror, and I'm not saying on-screen shoggoth attacks, the decision to present The King in Yellow as an in-universe work of (probably) madness, rather than fiction is still confusing. There would be plenty of other ways the writers could pay homage to cosmic horror without explicitly including one of its precursor works. Even just saying "A King in Yellow" would be fine, but the decision to include the lines about "Carcosa" indicate we're dealing with a reference to a fiction the audience can be familiar with. I'll admit that I might be too meta by half, but if the journal had just included some other piece of mythology or original content, we wouldn't be considering its ramifications in this way.

What I'm saying is that it was intentionally included, but we don't yet know why. I.e If the jounral had been plastered with the Zodian killer's symbol, we'd know specific things about the story. If it had been filled with references to "Spaghetti Face Deer Hat Man" or something similarly original, we wouldn't.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

ZorajitZorajit posted:

If the show is not going to include cosmic horror, and I'm not saying on-screen shoggoth attacks, the decision to present The King in Yellow as an in-universe work of (probably) madness, rather than fiction is still confusing. There would be plenty of other ways the writers could pay homage to cosmic horror without explicitly including one of its precursor works. Even just saying "A King in Yellow" would be fine, but the decision to include the lines about "Carcosa" indicate we're dealing with a reference to a fiction the audience can be familiar with. I'll admit that I might be too meta by half, but if the journal had just included some other piece of mythology or original content, we wouldn't be considering its ramifications in this way.

What I'm saying is that it was intentionally included, but we don't yet know why. I.e If the jounral had been plastered with the Zodian killer's symbol, we'd know specific things about the story. If it had been filled with references to "Spaghetti Face Deer Hat Man" or something similarly original, we wouldn't.
You're either over or underthinking it. Referencing the mythology of The King in Yellow is no different than including the mythology of the Bible.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
If they expand on this Yellow King thing, I think perhaps that in the world of the show The King in Yellow could be a real play and people that read it do go insane but I'm willing to bet it's probably a one time thing, something cool to throw in there.

It was cool enough that it got me interested and have since read half of Robert Chambers' book, which I recommend. It's been awhile since I've read any Lovecraft and reading what I have so far nothing is triggering any memories of the two overlapping, well nothing specific other than the general overtone of the stories.

Can't wait to see how this all plays out and like somebody else said, if it's got an ending like Carnivale, then I'm going to be deeply disappointed.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I'm setting my expectations pretty low about the King in Yellow reference. I think it's going to be used as a device - something weird and hinky for a serial killer to believe in, nothing more. Saying she kept talking about how she met a king, the antler crown, the design on the wall of the church - to me all that points to a charismatic church leader with warped ideology who is luring women in to kill them for some reason of his own that we will eventually find out. Like he wants to reanimate his dead child or live forever or something dumb like that. I'd love to be proved wrong.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
Keep your fantasy bullshit out of my serious drama, please.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This show is really loving good.

That's all I have to add.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
This show is already the best drama HBO has put out in years and it really deserves more attention. I was going to express mild disappointment that we went to more traditional HBO-style exploitation with Rust's unveiled badassery and camera-leers at the world's most perfect set of breasts, but now as long it doesn't materialise a loving thing to do with Lovecraftian "cosmic horror" I will regard myself completely satisfied.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It's called True Detective not Octopus-demon Cops or something so I think we're fine in that regard.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Expect Octopus Demon Cops to be optioned by Fox in time for Fall 2014; starring Yaphet Kotto and William Forsythe.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Gonz posted:

Expect Octopus Demon Cops to be optioned by Fox in time for Fall 2014; starring Yaphet Kotto and William Forsythe.
I expect Fox to be sued for copyright violation by all the anime studio in Japan at the same time moment after their press release.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I'm fairly sure the guy in the opening credits, the kind of humpty-dumpty looking dude with his mouth open, head up, hands raised that's shown for like a second is gonna end up being the King or whatever they reference him as. In addition to all the normal praise, I'm always impressed when a piece of visual media actually nails what hallucinating actually looks like. There is also a distinct subtlety to the performance when he is hallucinating - reminds me very much of someone trying to keep straight while in a psychedelic experience, trying to not let on to those around them what they're going through. The writing, the acting, the visuals, all so loving good, engrossing despite the slow burn. Really wonderful so far.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Justin Credible posted:

I'm fairly sure the guy in the opening credits, the kind of humpty-dumpty looking dude with his mouth open, head up, hands raised that's shown for like a second is gonna end up being the King or whatever they reference him as. In addition to all the normal praise, I'm always impressed when a piece of visual media actually nails what hallucinating actually looks like. There is also a distinct subtlety to the performance when he is hallucinating - reminds me very much of someone trying to keep straight while in a psychedelic experience, trying to not let on to those around them what they're going through. The writing, the acting, the visuals, all so loving good, engrossing despite the slow burn. Really wonderful so far.

I agree totally about the believable portrayal of hallucination. Both Rust's reaction when he was in the car with Martin and especially the light trails he saw when he was in the car by himself.

I'm in love with this show and I was from the moment I saw the opening credits. It's just right up my alley.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

hepscat posted:

I made a screenshot of the Barbie scene:

The guy on his knees looks like he's got his hands on his belt. It just reads like a rape scene more than cops around a body. That was my impression when it first flashed on the screen.

Whoops that came out large.

I was watching this with cc turned on and the little girl's indeed playing out a crime scene, you can barely hear her pretending to be one of the officers finding the body.

But what she was really doing is recreating mommy's after hours role play gangbang while dad's working late at the shop.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What the hell is up with the doll on his knees that looks like he is unzipping his pants though?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

What the hell is up with the doll on his knees that looks like he is unzipping his pants though?

He is crouching down to investigate the body.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Like the show, but don't love it. We'll see how the show comes together though.

Drunkboxer posted:

It's called True Detective not Octopus-demon Cops or something so I think we're fine in that regard.

poo poo I didn't know I wanted a show called Octopus-demon Cops. But the question is, are the cops Octopus-Demons, or do they merely investigate crimes relating to Octopus-Demons.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

As much as I would enjoy some sort of Lovecraftian detective noir with these kinds of production values, there's no way they'd pull a switcheroo like that. And the way they talk about it in their present day interviews, it seems like this wasn't much more than just another case to them at the end of the day, albeit a big, hosed up one.

I wonder if the interview framing device will continue for the whole run, or if the focus will switch to the latter day case and the other detectives (complete with a reunion, maybe?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I could see this show getting supernatural in a Max Payne 1 freaky occultists "the blood of fallen angels" type way and with the hallucinations but not in any sort of actual literal way.

• Locked thread