Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Manslaughter posted:

More bloom makes a prettier game right?

BLOOM! MORE BLOOM!!

That... is actually really pretty. I guess more bloom IS the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destra
Jun 25, 2007

In stereo where available.
Playing around with some environment sprites. I haven't a huge variety of tiles to use, yet. But it should get across the general idea, I hope. I think they look pretty neat. Could probably add a few more "layers" to the rock sprites so it doesn't look like a single-file row/column of them.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Shalinor posted:

That... is actually really pretty. I guess more bloom IS the answer.

Game of the Year 2014.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Thank you for suggestions everyone!

I'm still a bit confused about how we can version control the assets in the project. Bitbucket is only code oriented? How do people manage the actual asset files?

I have only worked with Perforce before, this is my first time setting up a VCS.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

poemdexter posted:

Game of the Year 2014.

Final boss: God

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mido posted:

Final boss: God

Easy, just piss in his mouth.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

This is my favourite dude.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Radix posted:

One thing I love about the style of the gifs you've been posting is how they all look like they could be straight out of a classic shooter like Quake, without being an obvious rip-off of anything specific. Props to your artist on nailing the low-poly early graphics card aesthetic.

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

Shalinor posted:

This is me, but with regular Git.

... but I use git like a neophyte, and don't touch branching or any of the fancy stuff.

You should really play with branches. They're not hard[1] and very useful.

[1] especially since the Git developers seem to be improving the commandline user experience somewhat in the newer versions

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

StickFigs posted:

This is neat, what engine are you using?

I can't really code or anything, so I'm making it in Stencyl, which is built off of Flixel I think?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

paberu posted:

Thank you for suggestions everyone!

I'm still a bit confused about how we can version control the assets in the project. Bitbucket is only code oriented? How do people manage the actual asset files?

I have only worked with Perforce before, this is my first time setting up a VCS.

Git handles everything, including binary files.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

poemdexter posted:

Git handles everything, including binary files.

Bitbucket only handles code repository from what I understand, how do people setup their VCS to include assets/data for the project? I do want to have version control on the assets too.

Is there a way to have bitbucket and dropbox/amazon s3 for the assets all working nicely with GIT? I'm used to having everything in one repository under Perforce.

Cheers, I have never dealt with this before.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You absolutely can commit binary files to a Mercurial or GitHub repo, but as mentioned earlier on it may not scale very well if you have a lot of assets. As for Bitbucket, I suspect they're mostly just saying "Dude, we don't want to be your personal fileserver." Keep things reasonably under control and I doubt they'll care.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah there's no real restriction on file size for Bitbucket but they just don't want you to be uploading gigs and gigs of music and textures and poo poo. It's up to your own discretion...to a point I imagine but since my projects are relatively small I just push everything up there.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah there's no real restriction on file size for Bitbucket but they just don't want you to be uploading gigs and gigs of music and textures and poo poo. It's up to your own discretion...to a point I imagine but since my projects are relatively small I just push everything up there.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=273877699

Here's what they officially have to say on the matter, and links to some decent discussions around alternatives.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Radix posted:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing I love about the style of the gifs you've been posting is how they all look like they could be straight out of a classic shooter like Quake, without being an obvious rip-off of anything specific. Props to your artist on nailing the low-poly early graphics card aesthetic.

Yeah, it could totally be Quake, Unreal, System Shock or Deus Ex.

Really amazing :allears:

And you said you were making it so you could use like, Bioshock powers? And design your own FPS levels? Man that's brilliant.

I've always thought games needed to do more to be accessible to their users. I mean, most games aren't even "mod friendly", but even if they are you still have to know how to make games to mod them. Rare are games like Portal 2 which let children design their own levels, and I think that's a huge wasted opportunity. Things like Little Big World or Minecraft have SO much infinite creativity just because the average joe is allowed to make things, even if he has to do it the hard way.

I've been wanting to just remake games like Megaman or Mario and release them with really stupid easy level editors, I bet that poo poo would take off.

But an FPS kit would be even better, your work is amazing. Did you ever play Timesplitters? I loved those games just because you could build your own levels from cookie cutter pieces and then flip a few settings with a simple GUI and have your own custom designed level. It was rad. They had a "everything and the kitchen sink" mentality to their guns that seems like what you're doing, too.

aerique posted:

You should really play with branches. They're not hard[1] and very useful.

[1] especially since the Git developers seem to be improving the commandline user experience somewhat in the newer versions

It makes sense because other source control systems branching is usually a pain and a thing to avoid.

But with git branching is totally awesome. I branch constantly. Why not? Its trivially easy to merge.

And then you get really awesome git log --graph --all --pretty trees that bend back and forth on themselves :haw:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 21, 2014

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
I'm actually writing up a "beginner's guide to IT in (indie) game dev" blog post this week. I'm planning on going through source control (starting with dropbox, moving up to git / perforce, etc), release processes (debug v release, internal v external, feature branches, etc), VPNs, and more. If there's anything in particular you're curious about, give a shout. I'm more than happy to include all sorts of various stuffs.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Thanks! I've passed on the compliments about the art to the artists. Nailing the graphical style was something we put a lot of consideration into early on but the animation and monster design in particular have turned out awesome, way beyond my expectations.

Zaphod42 posted:

But an FPS kit would be even better, your work is amazing. Did you ever play Timesplitters? I loved those games just because you could build your own levels from cookie cutter pieces and then flip a few settings with a simple GUI and have your own custom designed level. It was rad. They had a "everything and the kitchen sink" mentality to their guns that seems like what you're doing, too.

I played a little bit of one of the Timesplitters and they've definitely been an influence on the multiplayer design (shamefully via research more than play time though). And you're spot-on; my goal is has been to give people a toolkit for creating one type of game easily and well, using an interface people are already familiar with (the Infiniminer/Minecraft paradigm), without complicating it with some sort of scripting layer as you'd need to do with one of the authoring tools designed to allow you to supposedly create any type of game.

Sorry if I implied plasmid powers are planned: they were earlier on, but since they'd need to work differently to every other planned weapon set, or at least necessitate dual-wielding, they were dropped. With the exception of those and the Reedeemer and Shock Rifle from Unreal (dropped for similar reasons) there's a weapon inspired by just about every iconic gun I could think of, though.

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 21, 2014

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks to suggestions in the IRC channel I went ahead and grabbed a tweening library (TweenLite for AS3) and made the speech bubble appear/disappear with a jaunty little bounce.

There was SO LITTLE EFFORT by me to make this happen. This is so, so sweet. I'm going to tween, like, EVERYTHING in my game now

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

devilmouse posted:

I'm actually writing up a "beginner's guide to IT in (indie) game dev" blog post this week. I'm planning on going through source control (starting with dropbox, moving up to git / perforce, etc), release processes (debug v release, internal v external, feature branches, etc), VPNs, and more. If there's anything in particular you're curious about, give a shout. I'm more than happy to include all sorts of various stuffs.

All of it. Right now the tiny team I'm with is using dropbox for everything and little formal rules for it's organization.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

This is the problem for us, we need to have something that will scale for an art heavy project.

I'd like not to have to switch repositories mid way because we were using up too much bandwidth.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

paberu posted:

This is the problem for us, we need to have something that will scale for an art heavy project.

I'd like not to have to switch repositories mid way because we were using up too much bandwidth.

git repos are just files. You could use any decent cloud storage service to host them.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Before & After:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I push everything up to bit bucket from my unity project except the usual ignores (meta files, assemblies, etc) and since I have unedited reference big rear end textures and height maps and such my project is quite big. I've been thinking about getting a paid account though.

Except for "not abusing a free service" (my only reason for getting paid account) is there a reason to use something besides mercurial for textures and such? It seems to work pretty well.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 22, 2014

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

The Radix posted:

Sorry if I implied plasmid powers are planned: they were earlier on, but since they'd need to work differently to every other planned weapon set, or at least necessitate dual-wielding, they were dropped. With the exception of those and the Reedeemer and Shock Rifle from Unreal (dropped for similar reasons) there's a weapon inspired by just about every iconic gun I could think of, though.

Will there be modding so someone could add these back in and other features later on?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

The Radix posted:

I can definitely see the problem with the Redeemer (needing a completely different control system and UI), but what's the problem with the Shock Rifle? You just need to have varying damage types for different weapons (which I could see being useful in a number of contexts) and then make the orb projectile react to taking shock damage by exploding.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

the moose posted:

Will there be modding so someone could add these back in and other features later on?

Not planned, but all of them are in a "future stuff" list. The plan is to keep adding new theme packs for as longs as people are playing the game (each pack contains a large number of building blocks, a weapon set, character models, enemies/traps/special elements, music and skyboxes inspired by a particular game or series, and are meant to be combined with other packs so you could make a Goldeneye installation infested with demonspawn housing a teleporter that takes you to a space station).

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can definitely see the problem with the Redeemer (needing a completely different control system and UI), but what's the problem with the Shock Rifle? You just need to have varying damage types for different weapons (which I could see being useful in a number of contexts) and then make the orb projectile react to taking shock damage by exploding.

Yep, damage types are useful. They're mainly used for death effects in this game along with a couple of stunning/slowing/vision-impairing weapons. The main issue is interface again, not wanting to add a secondary fire button just for one gun when it's not needed anywhere else so far. (I know people like secondary fire but there's 32 guns and counting on the weapons list so I promise it's not really needed and would've lead to redundant weapons or a shorter list). However the combo is the part about that weapon that people like and I have a way to do something similar in mind for a different gun.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Ah, I hadn't realized you weren't doing secondary fire modes at all. I always liked them in UT but it's really easy to get lazy about them ("it's identical to the primary fire except the projectiles are less accurate/are affected by gravity/are bigger and slower/etc.") so I can understand not having them by default. If you have room in the control scheme though, it'd be nice to have some weapons have alt-fire modes.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
A couple do where it was possible to piggyback it onto reloading, say in the case of a remote bomb weapon where you can lay up to four mines then hit reload to detonate them all and get four more, and a melee weapon (specifically one based on the Sandman from TF2) where the reload key doesn't do anything else anyway. On PC there'd be no reason not to let you bind that to right mouse, I guess.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Making more urban dungeon crawling tunes. Check 'em out!

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

devilmouse posted:

I would read the heck out of this, looking forward to seeing it!

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

a little bit of work tonight between bug fixes:

simple idle animations. I'm eager to add more, it'll be cool to have a range of them they can do.

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 22, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Coldrice posted:

a little bit of work tonight between bug fixes:

simple idle animations. I'm eager to add more, it'll be cool to have a range of them they can do.
You need to do a 10 minute dubstep dance trailer of your little dudes doing nothing but randomly head bobbing like that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

You need to do a 10 minute dubstep dance trailer of your little dudes doing nothing but randomly head bobbing like that.

I was gonna say that they need to sometimes randomly get a pair of headphones for their idle animations. Or a glowstick to twirl.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

DeathBySpoon posted:

Making more urban dungeon crawling tunes. Check 'em out!

The First track: I like how chill this is. You did a great job with the percussion to keep things moving and interesting. The arp in the left seemed to over take the one in the right. I didn't really notice the one in the right until I paid close attention. The overall mix could maybe be a bit wider. I like it though!

Second Track: This one is really nifty. I really like the subtle things you did with the percussion like the sleigh bells. Very well done!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Shalinor posted:

I spent way too long on this. :negative:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You're gonna make the freak gasoline fight accident next, right?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

xzzy posted:

You're gonna make the freak gasoline fight accident next, right?

No. :colbert:

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Changed up the cards to have only their backgrounds in their colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What am I doing.