Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Cheer up, you'll have plenty of opportunity to climb up the Glory Leaderboard in the next adventure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Happy birthday.

Also... Yay I'm not the worst knight in all of Salisbury

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I'll be putting up the next post Monday after lunch. This will move us into the summer scenario. Unless you have something special your PC would be doing, I'll assume that in the downtime they're healing from wounds, dealing with manor affairs, and in Sir Briant's case, eating roast pheasant in front of his captive's cell every night while making him eat out of a trough.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Sorry for the delay, guys. I'll have the new post up tonight or sooner.

Also, Potatocubed, just checking to make sure you're still in.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Rules clarification, as I understand it:

Lager posted:

My attack next. Charge!!: 1d20 9 which I believe is a 14 because of the +5 charge bonus, correct?[/i]

The charge bonus applies to your skill, giving Pellogres an effective Lance of 20 for the lance charge. If the bonus took his skill over 20, that would assign a bonus to his actual roll.

The reason that's important is, say (for example) that you rolled a 14. With a skill of 15, that's a success, but if you add +5 to your roll the roll becomes 19 - a failure! Not exactly a helpful bonus, no? :D

So, yeah, your roll is still a 9. Which is a success, and therefore good!

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Rules clarification, as I understand it:

The charge bonus applies to your skill, giving Pellogres an effective Lance of 20 for the lance charge. If the bonus took his skill over 20, that would assign a bonus to his actual roll.

The reason that's important is, say (for example) that you rolled a 14. With a skill of 15, that's a success, but if you add +5 to your roll the roll becomes 19 - a failure! Not exactly a helpful bonus, no? :D

So, yeah, your roll is still a 9. Which is a success, and therefore good!

Gotcha. Thanks for the checkup on that!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Unfortunately, potatocubed has had to drop out. I'm going to continue the current battle with the rest of you and start PMing folks from the waitlist.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'm still reading the thread

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I just need to knock off a few cobwebs and I should be good to go.
What do you need me to do?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Morris of Cholderton
Glory: 1254=1134+120

Blurb
Morris grew up hungry and scared in an age of constant war. His grandfather died young, in a skirmish with the Picts, and his father turned to raiding to stem the decline in the family fortunes.
Now, with a trio of raw knights and a ragged band of soldiers following his banner, Morris dreams of grand conquest, assuming he can survive his first real battle.
He's survived his first battle, a little shaken, and not covered in glory, but none the worse for wear.

Family Characteristic
Distinguishing Features & Family Characteristic: 1d6 3 1d6 3 1d20 20
Clever (Gaming +10)

British Christian

Chaste/Lustful 13/7
*Energetic/Lazy 16/4
Forgiving/Vengeful 10/10
*Generous/Selfish 13/7
Honest/Deceitful 10/10
*Modest/Proud 13/7
*Just/Arbitrary 10/10
*Merciful/Cruel 10/10
Pious/Worldly 10/10
Prudent/Reckless 10/10
Temperate/Indulgent 10/10
Trusting/Suspicious 10/10
*Valorous/Cowardly 15/5

Loyalty (Lord) 15
Love (Family) 15
Hospitality 15
Honor 15

Size 13
Dexterity 15
Strength 13
Constitution 10+3
Appearance 13

Damage 4
Healing 3
Movement Rate 3
Total Hit Points 26
Unconscious 7

Distinctive Features
Distinguishing Features & Family Characteristic: 1d6 3 1d6 3 1d20 20
Bright eyes and piercing glance

Skills
Awareness 5
Boating 1
Compose 1
Courtesy 13
Dancing 2
Faerie Lore 1
Falconry 3
First Aid 10
Flirting 3
Folk Lore 2
Gaming 13
Heraldry 3
Hunting 10
Intrigue 15
Orate 3
Play [harp] 3
Read [Latin] 0
Recognize 3
Religion [British Christian] 2
Romance 2
Singing 2
Stewardship 2
Swimming 2
Tourney 2

Battle 15
Horsemanship 10
Sword 15
Lance 10
Spear 6
Dagger 5

Army
3 Young Knights
14 Other Lineage Men
34 Levy

Family
Great-Grandfather Miles (d)
Grandfather Morians (d)
Father Morganor (d)
Great Grandmother Melior
Grandmother Malvis
Mother Morchades

Paternal Uncle (Married)
Paternal Aunt (Unmarried)

Maternal Aunt (dead, illness, married)
Maternal Uncle (Married)
Maternal Uncle (Married)

Siblings and Cousins
Half-brother Sir Jordans (married), half-brother Sir Lardans (married), [Morris], Sister Iblis (missing, married), Half-Brother Bliant (married), Half-Brother Briant (killed in battle with neighboring lands, unmarried)
Cousin Sir Guy

Gear
Additional Belongings: 1d20 13
Heirloom Arm Band: 1d6 4
Heirloom Silver Arm Band

Young Knights ReRoll (15,16&17,18=1d4): 1d4 3 1d4 4 1d4 4
Maternal First Cousin and Two Illegitimate Older Brothers

Siblings FatherMotherMorris: 1d6 2 1d6 3 1d6 5
2 Paternal Uncles, 3 Maternal Uncles, 5 siblings

Army OldMiddleYoungOtherLevy: 1d6-5 0 1d6-2 -1 1d6 3 2d6+5 14 5d20 34
Siblings Gender: 1d6 3 1d6 6 1d6 4 1d6 5 1d6 5 1d6 1...
Family Status MotherFamily: 1d20-3 5 1d20 7 1d20 12 1d20 17 1d20 1 1d20 11...
Paternal
Male (Alive, Married), Female (Alive, Unmarried)

Maternal (Alive, Remairred)
Female (Dead, Illness, Married), Male (Alive, Married), Male (Alive, Unmarried)

Siblings
Male (Alive, Married), Male (Alive, Married), Female (Dead, Disappeared, Married), Male (Alive, Married), Male (Dead, Battle-Neighboring Lands, Unmarried)

Family History
I always liked this sort of thing. Now, to roll some dice;

Grandfather's Starting Glory & 439: 2d20+((1000+(1d20)*100)/10) 220 1d20 4
Great grandfather was pretty distinguished (1900), and Grandfather seems eager to follow in his footsteps (220), but 439 has been a quiet year.

Year 440: 1d20 2
440 is more exciting. Unfortunately, it's because grandfather gets killed in a stupid skirmish with some Pictish raiders. He probably wasn't even thirty, and his son probably isn't even walking yet. :smith: Goodbye, grandfather (240)

It is a sign of things to come; the Picts invade.

Father's starting glory (1024)
Father grows up in even more tumultuous times, with war brewing against the Saxons.

Year 463? Hatred? Grandfather already killed by Picts: 3d6+6 16
His liegelord the Earl of Salisbury is slain by Saxon treachery. Father takes this as a personal affront.

464; Wife: 1d20 2
Mother was a fresh widow
(1059)

I was born in 465. I don't remember much about that year.

466&467: 1d20 6
Father fought' in the Siege of Carlion
466&467; Siege of Carlion Glory and Event: 15*(1d6) 15 1d20 17
and survived. He is said to have remarked that even the rats grew lean and vicious with hunger.
(1074)

468: 1d20 8
He fought in the Battle of Snowdon
468; Battle of Snowdon: 2*15*(1d3) 60 1d20 5
and survived. He also aquitted himself well.
(1134)

469-472: 1d20 16
Raiding was where he seemed to have a particular talent. He aquitted himself well enough that Saxon mothers would tell tales of him to frighten their children into behaving. Parts of England bear the scars to this day.
(1334)
Bellum se ipsum alet

473: 1d20 7
My father was exercising his particular brand of genius on some Saxon villages while their armies were away fighting the Battle of Windsor.

474-476: 1d20 2
He died, ironically enough, on garrison duty.
Father's Final Glory (1339)

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 6, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

FireSight posted:

I decided to go down the waitlist and PM folks in order; Rockopolis responded right away, though, so that was a short process!

I might expand the game a bit after the Winter Phase, though, since the the quests will start getting a bit more complex and the PCs are going to have to choose between things to do in a given year in the not too distant future.

Rockopolis posted:

This is going to be kind of rough as I flesh things out.

Looking good so far. No need to rush in any case: I can always bring you in for the Winter Phase and do a short solo scenario (like rescuing a kidnapped knight or flushing out a bandit in the land around your manor).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ibntumart posted:

I might expand the game a bit after the Winter Phase, though, since the the quests will start getting a bit more complex and the PCs are going to have to choose between things to do in a given year in the not too distant future.

I'm still happy to play, if you bring in new players for that.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, just need to tie it together and give it a story.

I think for an ambition...I think with how shredded up his family history and manor seems, Morris straight up wants to be top dog, to crush the age of might. (that's Arthur's destiny, but Morris doesn't know that)
I think that is why I picked Battle and Intrigue; at this level, personal combat is vital to get anywhere, but Morris is a dreamer, thinking in terms of armies and kingdoms.

A couple questions;
Are my stats and skills particularly good or bad? Should I have distributed them differently? Like, I think Battle and Intrigue jump out at me, but other than that he seems kind of unfocused.
Do I get Hatred (Saxons)? I missed out on both rolls because Grandfather and Father died before the events that give it.
Is there a list of female names?
What does Mother remarrying mean? Like, who is the new guy, and how does he relate to Morris?
The older illegitimate brothers that are young knights, might they be half-brothers from Mother's first marriage?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, I think this character should work.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Oh man I was so worried about that roll; with the Sword bonuses I had roughly a 50/50 chance to crit (55% chance, really, but still), and a crit keeps me safe if the Berserker attacks normally.

If he's using the Berserk Attack tactic it might not matter, mind, I could still be boned...

P.S. High-five, Derek! If I'm remembering right neither of us did a Major Wound to the Berserker, but we may well have knocked him below his Unconscious threshold, which is just as good!

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 30, 2014

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
Hey don't worry I'm by your side so at least you wont die alone

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm still happy to play, if you bring in new players for that.

FireSight posted:

No promises, but after we finish the Winter Phase, you might be getting PMs.

Rockopolis posted:

Well, just need to tie it together and give it a story.

I think for an ambition...I think with how shredded up his family history and manor seems, Morris straight up wants to be top dog, to crush the age of might. (that's Arthur's destiny, but Morris doesn't know that)

It'll be a while before Arthur even pops up, let alone becomes the Boy King, so Morris has plenty of time to be ambitious.

Rockopolis posted:

I think that is why I picked Battle and Intrigue; at this level, personal combat is vital to get anywhere, but Morris is a dreamer, thinking in terms of armies and kingdoms.

Battle might not be so handy right away, to be honest. That's mostly used for commanders during skirmishes and battles, and at this stage, the PC knights either will have a more veteran knight commanding them or be in normal combat (as opposed to battles). The only time you would be rolling Battle at this stage is if you're in a battle and get separated from your unit.

Intrigue, on the other hand, is always handy if you want to learn secrets (or just as importantly, figure out good sources and when they're telling the truth).

Rockopolis posted:

Are my stats and skills particularly good or bad? Should I have distributed them differently? Like, I think Battle and Intrigue jump out at me, but other than that he seems kind of unfocused.

As long as you've got a good Sword skill, and don't neglect your Hunting and First Aid, you'll probably be fine. Also, you forgot to add your +10 to Gaming: you should have it listed as 13. Morris gets a ribbon every year at the Annual Tri-County gwyddbwyll and backgammon tournament! (Or would if Earl Roderick held one, anyway.)

Rockopolis posted:

Do I get Hatred (Saxons)? I missed out on both rolls because Grandfather and Father died before the events that give it.

Unfortunately, no, but you do get to check to see if your grandfather passed on Hatred (Irish) at least. Roll a D20: 16 or better nets you 3d6 Hatred (Irish).

Rockopolis posted:

Is there a list of female names?

Indeed there is:
Ade, Alis, Arnive, Astrigis, Bene, Blancheflor, Carsenefide, Calire, Cunneware, Diane, Elidis, Enide, Elizabeth, Esclarmonde, Feimurgan, Felelolie, Felinete, Feunete, Florie, Gloris, Heliap, Iblis, Idain, Imane, Jeschute, Laufamour, Liaze, Lore, Loorette, Laudine, Malvis, Maugalie, Melior, Morchades, Obie, Obilot, Oruale, Repanse, Sangive, Tanree, Tryamour, Violette

The 4th edition has a list of specifically Cymric women's names as well:
Adwen, Annest, Angarad, Arianwen, Briant, Duddug, Collwen, Dwynwen, Eleri, Ffraid, Glesig, Glesni, Gwen, Heledd, Indeg, Leri, Lleucu, Llio, Melangell, Meleri, Nest, Nia, Tydfil

Rockopolis posted:

What does Mother remarrying mean? Like, who is the new guy, and how does he relate to Morris?

The rulebook doesn't really get into that, oddly enough. But your father died the same year you became old enough to be knighted, so for the sake of convenience, let's say you were knighted and Earl Roderick awared you the familial manor before your mother remarried.

Rockopolis posted:

The older illegitimate brothers that are young knights, might they be half-brothers from Mother's first marriage?

Yes, though they wouldn't be illegitimate if they were from her first husband... but there's nothing to say she wasn't cuckolding him, I suppose. Or they could be illegitimate brothers from your recently deceased father. Or illegitimate step-brothers from the new guy.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I am also still reading. This is a pretty cool system.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Hate Irish on 16&+; If yes 3d6: 1d20 7 3d6 4
I do not hate the Irish, either.

I will have to switch my 10 from Orate to Hunting, and correct :sigh: Gaming.

Is it better to use my advances for attributes or skills?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Question about the bezerkers. I know we can switch to spears without penalty, as per your rule, but do we have enough room to charge them?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Rockopolis posted:

I will have to switch my 10 from Orate to Hunting, and correct :sigh: Gaming.

Is it better to use my advances for attributes or skills?

If you want to keep Orate at 10, you totally can. When hunting, you always have the option of following another knight and relying on his roll to lead you to the quarry. You just will be hopeless if you're hunting by yourself 90% of the time (and succeed critically half the time when you succeed).

As for training up attributes versus skills, that's really up to you. For example, if you wanted to boost your 4d6 Damage to 5d6, then you'd want to train your STR for a year [(13 SIZ+14 STR)/6=4.5, rounded up to 5]. But if you wanted to make sure you hit more often in the first place, or you wanted to bump up a non-combat skill, then you'd take the one point increase in the skill. And if you just wanted to spend all winter beefing up your combat skills, you would get the most amount of points (1d6+1), but you couldn't boost anything above a 15. So you could make yourself a much better lancer and/or spearman, let's say, but your sword skill would remain as it had been.

Epicurius posted:

Question about the bezerkers. I know we can switch to spears without penalty, as per your rule, but do we have enough room to charge them?

I didn't make clear how far they were, and these guys are really nasty, so I'll err on the side of letting you charge this round if you want.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
So Rockopolis, your character is pretty much ready. Since the battle just finished, I'm going to do two quick retroactive scenes for you: first your knighting ceremony, second a round of battle against the Saxons. You'll get a solo scenario for sure in the Winter phase. These are usually very simple scenarios, but can be mini-adventures in their own right. But I'll get into that once I start the Winter Phase proper.

As for everyone else, I will get to tallying Glory and wrapping up the summer scenario. For now, you guys can have your knights relax a bit, socialize, feast, drink and be merry, oh, and also to meet Sir Morris while you're all at the bivouac.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

So, on the topic of Experience Checks:

Rhun has already earned checks on Loyalty (Lord), Sword, and First Aid.

Now, experience checks aren't just handed out for crits; they're handed out if the GM thinks you deserve them, for whatever reason. It became a tradition, in my past Pendragon games, for the players to put together a list of stats they thought they might deserve a check for, so the GM could consider giving them out; of course, players being players, we always wanted more experience checks so we'd write long lists with occasionally tenuous reasoning, and the GM - who wasn't so gung-ho about handing the checks out! - would ignore most of said list! Still, it's a tradition for me, and it's always worth a shot, so I'm going to put one together here... and ibntumart, feel free to ignore any or all of the rationales I give. I will not take it personally if you think I don't deserve 'em. :D

* Courtesy: Rhun has made an effort to act with Courtesy throughout the year, from his successful (Loyalty-boosted) roll in the celebration of his knighting to the manner in which he has treated his hostage. While he is certainly no trained courtier, his heart seems to be in the right place, and he's trying, at least.
* Lance: While Rhun has not had a crit with his Lance yet this year, neither has he had a single failure; his skill with a lance is undeniable. Is it enough to learn from? Let's find out!
* Generous: Rhun has been effusive with praise of his compatriots, even talking up Sir Derek's accomplishments when Derek had a less-than-stellar battle against the other knights (talking up Derek's accomplishments in this battle will be significantly easier!), and is trying hard not to be the kind of cruel hostage-taker that, say, Bledri is. Okay, this reasoning is a bit of a stretch, but it's a chivalrous Trait and a Religious Trait for Rhun, you can't blame me for trying. :D
* Proud: Who the hell wouldn't be proud after facing down motherfucking berserkers and coming through without a scratch (despite their love for you being like a truck)? Rhun is embracing that pride!
* Valorous: Charging berserkers. Honestly, does anything more need to be said?

I might be able to cheese out a Religion (Pagan) check, too, if Rhun's plan to use his hostage-proceeds to establish Pagan ceremonies in Broughton bears fruit, but that will have to wait.

Again, I don't expect to get an Experience check for any of those skills and Traits... but it's always worth a shot! Right?

(if this is the kind of behavior you dislike from your players ibntumart I'll stop but it's become habit so indulge me just this once, huh? :D)

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

So I was reading through and I get an experience check for Loyalty (Lord) thanks to my crit from the knighting ceremony. Do I get one from my sword crit against the Saxons? I only critted because of my Passion roll, but does that still count for a check? Also, I used my coin to make Epicurius crit his first aid roll earlier, you said that gives me a 50 glory bonus right?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
DCB: I like that idea and will happily entertain player ideas for experience checks.
Lager: Yes on both counts.
Rockopolis: I'm ready to bring you in, just confirm you're happy with your character sheet and I'll write up your battle scene.

Sorry about the Winter phase delay, by the way, everyone. I'm about to hit the road for a long weekend doing family stuff, but should have time to get the ball rolling this afternoon.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I'm good to go!

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
OK then let's see...

Family Derek's action during the celebration, marchs and everything are due to him wanting to keep his family safe and make them proud
Pious It is not surprising that I've failed my rolls until Derek started quoting the scripture/praying while fighting that has kept him
Humble Derek knows that without the help of his companion nor the leadership of his betters he would not have survived so far
Valorous For the love of god. Those were Berserkers someone less valorous would've turned tail and run away

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Okay, let's lobby for some experience!

Arbitrary: You saw how he treated his "guest". He's basically treating the guy just well enough to avoid getting dirty looks from other knights, he's even letting the servants speak ill of the guy! Plus he wanted to ransom the squires for their measly six pounds of worth. Oh, yeah, and he's got his defeated foe's shield, heraldry included, hanging on the wall as a trophy.

Valorous: Briant has been throwing himself into battle pretty hard.

Energetic: In fact, he's been pretty much constantly flitting about, if not serving the earl, then advancing his various plots. Fella's a regular dynamo.

First Aid: Honestly I think we all earned this one, given how we drat near mummified those other knights trying to stop them from bleeding out. What was that, like, twenty First Aid rolls? Figure we'd get a check just from trial and error.

Courtesy: Even if it ends up that I don't use that coin to crit my Courtesy roll in the thread, I figure Briant's been working pretty hard to socialize with folks.

EDIT: Ohhh, I misread a thing in the game thread, never you mind the thing I edited out.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 14, 2014

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
EclecticTastes has a great point about First Aid... I'm going to just automatically give everyone a check. If nothing else, some of you learned what not to do (such as not treating neck wounds with a tourniquet).

Everyone else... good news! I'm granting everything you presented and provided a rationale for.

Okay, let's kick Winter Phase into high gear!

Below is an outline of what happens in Winter for knight PCs:

1. Perform Solo Scenario - only applies to Rockopolis this year
2. Roll for Experience
3. Check for Aging
4. Check Economic Circumstances
5. Make Stable Rolls
6. Make Family Rolls
7. Undergo Training and Practice
8. Compute Glory
9. Add Bonuses from Glory (if applicable)

I will make the rolls and post results on the IC thread for you guys to react to, but here in the OOC thread, let me give you an idea what to expect.

Solo Scenario - I briefly discussed this a few posts ago. Nothing much to it: this is a very short scenario to allow PCs who couldn't take part in the yearly scenario to catch up.

Roll for Experience - The process is simple. Roll a D20 for each checked skill, trait, or passion. If you roll above the current number, you boost it by a point.

Check for Aging - For now, all you have to do is note that your PC and his squire both are one year older. When your PC hits 35, then you'll start making Age checks and hope your Statistics don't start going down.

Check Economic Circumstances - Your knight is assigned a wealth level based on income (including ransoms). This can have an effect on the next couple of steps.

Make Stable Rolls - Not generally an issue for vassal knights such as yourselves. You have a herd of horses and your lord is obliged to ensure you have a minimum of one charger, two rouncys, and one sumpter. If you had a unique horse, though, you'd make a roll. Similarly, if you somehow screwed up really badly and became an errant knight, you'd have to roll since you wouldn't have a herd to fall back on.

Make Family Rolls - If unmarried, your PC can petition Earl Roderick for permission to marry. I highly advise NOT doing this right now as you haven't had a chance to prove yourselves much yet and are unlikely to get a good match, or in fact, permission in the first place. If you were married, this is where you'd roll to see if you had a child. You can still choose to roll for childbirth even if you're unmarried, mind you, but that is optional. Also, sometimes other interesting stuff happens in your family (such as a nephew being kidnapped or rumors your sister is a necromancer, that sort of thing).

Undergo Training and Practice - You have three choices of what to do here:
  • Gain 1d6+1 points to spend on any combination of knightly skills, so long as none of them will be raised above 15 in so doing;
  • Gain 1 point in any skill, up to a max of 20); or
  • Improve an Attribute, Trait, or Passion by 1 point, though no trait can be improved beyond 19 or passion over 20, and you can't increase SIZ.

Compute Glory - Self-explanatory. Make sure you point out anything you think I missed when tabulating the total.

Glory Bonuses - Every time you amass 1,000 points of Glory, you get a bonus point which you can spend on an attribute, trait, passion, skill, or combat skill.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Hey, just noticed, in the OP, you have me and Epicurius mixed up, on the list of characters.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Oops! Sorry for Rosencrantz and Guildensterning you.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Whew, what an embarrassing start; at least I didn't fail, but getting my rear end kicked off my horse by a peasant with an axe is going to be humiliating.
...I hope this isn't something that runs in the family.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Couple of things I noticed, Rockopolis - values for your Secondary Statistics get rounded to the nearest whole number (that is, .1 to .4 round down, .5 to .9 round up). So you should have a Damage of 4, a Healing Rate of 3, a Movement Rate of 3, and an Unconscious of 7.

Also, 16 ain't a bad roll - it's successful, after all, and high enough that it's hard to beat without a critical. In fact the Heorthnegeat has an Axe of 14, so any successful roll he makes will still be lower than your successful roll - meaning you win unless he gets a critical success. That's a 95% success rate! Don't get so down on yourself! :D I mean, okay, the damage sucked, but there's still time!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Oh, that's right; I'm used to "beat by more systems". Whew.
I still need to chop through all of his health in three rounds; he's pretty beefy.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Winter phase post is up in IC, so please everyone go there and let us commence the mass rollings.

Rockopolis posted:

Oh, that's right; I'm used to "beat by more systems". Whew.
I still need to chop through all of his health in three rounds; he's pretty beefy.

Technically, you just need to survive three rounds: we already know the battle itself is going in Madoc's favor and that the Saxon horde will be turned back!

edit: And of course the Heorthgeneat gets a crit. All is not lost, however, as my IC post explains.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 23, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Yeah, but where's the glory in that? I need to beat this guy or no one will take me seriously.

If this were a more chivalric age, or if Morris weren't scared shitless, I might let the guy draw his backup weapon. Sure, it's a battle, fight dirty to survive, I know, but it makes me look better, and I'm kind of counting on the Saxons to not just swarm me.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
The Saxon is just about out of backup weapons at this point....

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Is he going to run away?
I'm of two minds as to whether I'd let him flee if he did. On the one hand, this is a battle, and he'd just go pick up another weapon and be back in the fight. Be ruthless and all that. On the other hand, chopping down an unarmed man running for his life is...normal for the time period, but not a Chivalric thing to do. And I can always hope he flees the battle.

Is this the kind of situation for a player to make a Mercy roll to decide what the character wants to do?

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
I dunno if a player but I would make a mercy roll to help me decide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Rockopolis posted:

Is he going to run away?
I'm of two minds as to whether I'd let him flee if he did. On the one hand, this is a battle, and he'd just go pick up another weapon and be back in the fight. Be ruthless and all that. On the other hand, chopping down an unarmed man running for his life is...normal for the time period, but not a Chivalric thing to do. And I can always hope he flees the battle.

Is this the kind of situation for a player to make a Mercy roll to decide what the character wants to do?

Situations where you're torn about what your character would likely to do is the perfect situation to make a roll like that.

• Locked thread