Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

There is a distinct lack of butts in this comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I think what Ramirez has drawn here is the anti-caricature. A caricature's main purpose is to magnify a person's peculiar features to make him/her instantly recognizable. Ramirez's grotesque anti-caricatures accomplish the exact opposite. I follow politics pretty closely and I wouldn't be able to identify the people who Ramirez depicts without the help of the names he has provided.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm not an animal rights guy, but Japan has such a poor reputation in terms of hunting dolphins and whales (to say nothing of their other problematic fishing practices) that I would join in the criticism. But what does history have to do with it?

History probably refers to the controversies over Japanese history textbooks. Abe is trying to revise them to be more nationalistic because he's basically a fascist. It has no particular connection to dolphin hunting, although they're both things Japanese nationalists care a lot about.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Exclamation Marx posted:

the guy on the right is the Conservative Party's Colin Craig. They got about 2% at the last election, but it looks like the Nats might gift him an electorate seat. His big priority is letting parents beat their children, he's anti-gay, thinks climate change is a hoax but if it was real it'd be created by the "circulation of the planets".

Fun times.

I just looked this guy up, and you're not being fair to him. Global warming is caused by circulation of the planets and sunspots, can't forget about the sunspots.

I loved the response I read somewhere to the question of whether sunspots contribute to climate change, something to the effect of "Probably some small impact. Maybe we'd be able to measure it if we stopped pumping the atmosphere full of greenhouse gasses."

E:

Edible Hat posted:

I think what Ramirez has drawn here is the anti-caricature. A caricature's main purpose is to magnify a person's peculiar features to make him/her instantly recognizable. Ramirez's grotesque anti-caricatures accomplish the exact opposite. I follow politics pretty closely and I wouldn't be able to identify the people who Ramirez depicts without the help of the names he has provided.

I decided to take a shot without looking at the names.

No idea, no idea, Obama (only because I know the caricature), Bruno Mars, Harry Reid (again, only because I already know).

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 28, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Spiffster posted:

I woke up with a clowns hand in my pants...

That's... That's what I did today... :smith:
On that note

For a moment I thought this was one big cartoon and it was insinuating the Koch Brothers were responsible for the polar vortex, presumably for the sake of enabling themselves to IF GLOABAL WARMING WHY COLD.

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

DoctorPresident posted:

I know he was understandably upset about being a cuban exile but gently caress you Prohias, Lázaro Cardenas was one of the few mexican presidents that was worth a drat.

And Jacobo Árbenz was also at least a pretty decent president for Guatemala. Screw the CIA so hard.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Fix It Again Tyranny.

edit: :argh: beaten!!

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Jurgan posted:

Wait, this is an edit, right? If not... "rope and chains?" My mind goes immediately to "rope for lynching and chains for slaves." Please, tell me this is fake.

Why does your mind immediately go race? Could you be...the real racist?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Well, at least the names line up with the people, unlike in the actual poster:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Yeah they do that because billing is separate from poster order and is something agents bargain for so it's worthless to point it out as every single movie ever does it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jeff Dunham called. He's suing you for stealing his racist puppet gimmick.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Today's Dry Bones brought to you by Computoon!

quote:

We are outsourcing our brain's work to our phones!!!
Labels: brain, memory, mobile, Shuldig, smartphones, Technology, Telecommunications

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Way too easy to agc that dry bones

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SOME GIZMO: ironically one of his better cartoons.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

JaggerMcDagger posted:

GOOGLE JON POL

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

JaggerMcDagger posted:

He's kind of close to a truth, actually. There was a study a while back that basically boils down to people being willing to outsource memory to things like Google.

http://news.columbia.edu/googlememory

The sentiment behind it is still mostly luddite nonsense, though.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
We are outsourcing our brain's work to our clay tablets!!!
Labels: brain, memory, clay, Og, scribes, Technology, Writing

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"Sam, in your expert opinion, will Obama try rule by fiat?" -- a conversation starter we are apparently supposed to believe would be uttered by an actual person

Man, I thought all the baseless speculation about whether the President, apropos of nothing, would suddenly declare himself dictator-for-life was tiresome when people were saying it about Bush. That was about a President I didn't like, without Muir's tortured word choice to force in a terrible car pun.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

loquacius posted:

"Sam, in your expert opinion, will Obama try rule by fiat?" -- a conversation starter we are apparently supposed to believe would be uttered by an actual person

Man, I thought all the baseless speculation about whether the President, apropos of nothing, would suddenly declare himself dictator-for-life was tiresome when people were saying it about Bush. That was about a President I didn't like, without Muir's tortured word choice to force in a terrible car pun.
I assume this is about the talk that Obama's going to say, "Well, I intend to do a little stuff through executive agencies because Congress is not going to do a single goddamn thing but vote to repeal Obamacare" in his SOTU address.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Almost 3/4 of the way through his time in office, and we're still waiting for Obama to start ruling as a dictator. Any day now.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 28, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fast & Furious. Obamacare. Mideast Talks.

Really curious what Muir means with that third one.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

McDowell posted:

Fast & Furious. Obamacare. Mideast Talks.

Really curious what Muir means with that third one.

Obama talked to a Mideast nation :bahgawd:

Also, GM's bankruptcy? It's still around, and profitable again now. Isn't the generally-held belief that Obama saved GM? "Bin Laden is dead, GM is alive" etc etc?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I guess if you're a dogmatic free-marketer, GM should've been allowed fold.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lycus posted:

I guess if you're a dogmatic free-marketer, GM should've been allowed fold.

That was Romney's exact position, until GM ended up better off for the bailout after which he suddenly remembered he'd been in favor of it all along.

Funny how that works, isn't it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Supposedly, the headline was put on the piece by the Times, but yeah he's all for a "managed restructuring" (bankruptcy) and tries to claim the bailout he specifically names as being the death of the auto industry was what he was talking about all along.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Ronald Reagan declared victory on poverty's behalf 28 years ago.

Ronald Reagan posted:

We're in danger of creating a permanent culture of poverty as inescapable as any chain or bond; a second and separate America, an America of lost dreams and stunted lives. The irony is that misguided welfare programs instituted in the name of compassion have actually helped turn a shrinking problem into a national tragedy. From the 1950's on, poverty in America was declining. American society, an opportunity society, was doing its wonders. Economic growth was providing a ladder for millions to climb up out of poverty and into prosperity. In 1964 the famous War on Poverty was declared and a funny thing happened. Poverty, as measured by dependency, stopped shrinking and then actually began to grow worse. I guess you could say, poverty won the war. Poverty won in part because instead of helping the poor, government programs ruptured the bonds holding poor families together.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I don't think anyone posted this accurate and depressing Tom Tomorrow.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

loquacius posted:

Obama talked to a Mideast nation :bahgawd:

Also, GM's bankruptcy? It's still around, and profitable again now. Isn't the generally-held belief that Obama saved GM? "Bin Laden is dead, GM is alive" etc etc?
It was all a big payoff to the labor unions somehow.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Welp, we didn't end suffering as we know it in 50 years, guess it's time to just give up and kill ourselves.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

BlueBlazer posted:

The thing about the oligarchs is that whenever they raise someone to figure head status they get destroyed. As a faceless business suit they are invisible.

I look forward to all the Koch hit pieces. No single person should have so much money and lust for power. Not that there aren't other rich assholes but not all of them give us such obvious reasons to hate them. Many will break on the Koch wall's of text. Go read the Koch thread and prepare, its a slog but its worth it once you can wrap your head around their ideology.
Wait, we have a Koch thread? Where?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

ugh, this is so dumb and boring I barely want to edit it about penis.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

ugh, this is so dumb and boring I barely want to edit it about penis.

This is because you lack vision.

Clearly this time waifu must have the penis.

"It's not much of a fiat, baby," indeed. :smug:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I just got some news from the central command, it seems the war didn't go quite as planned. It seems like poverty is winning the battle, the humans are starving each other like cattle, the bodies are piling from Rome to Seattle.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

he made the democrat black :allears:

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

The conservative duck is celebrating because he has fought very hard all these years to help poverty win. An accurate cartoon.

Pretty badass mech. I wonder what it is from.

CampingCarl fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 28, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CampingCarl posted:

The conservative duck is celebrating because he has fought very hard all these years to help poverty win. An accurate cartoon.

Seems like a pretty accurate picture of what the Metal Gear series is about...

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

As opposed to the eternally happy, never-ever-petty Republicans.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

CampingCarl posted:

I have never felt so proud to support the TPP as I do at this moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Wanamingo posted:

I just got some news from the central command, it seems the war didn't go quite as planned. It seems like poverty is winning the battle, the humans are starving each other like cattle, the bodies are piling from Rome to Seattle.

To be fair, the victory conditions differ for both sides. Anyone living in poverty constitutes a win for poverty, only ubiquitous prosperity constitutes a win against poverty.

• Locked thread