Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The Street Triple is notorious for having mismatched forks/shock and the stock Daytona 675 parts are exactly what buying the Street Triple R would have gotten you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Z3n posted:

Also I test rode a 1190 Adventure today. That is a fantastic usable bike. In sport mode with the TC on, it's pretty much a puppydog, turn the TC off and you can easily do multigear power wheelies. Plus it's suprisingly narrow for a giant traily, it's got amazing ABS with an offroad mode that'll let you back it in a bit, dynamic adjustable suspension damping and preload, long travel suspension, and on, and on, and on.

If they made a 1190 SM-T I'd be strongly tempted to sell my daytona.

I sat on one for the first time today and was really surprised that it wasn't taller. It looks like it should be gigantic but it felt great once I was on it.

I'd love one but would love a lighter version with an 800cc-ish motor even more.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Linedance posted:

that's kind of my point. A naked/streetfighter/whatever should be optimized for the road, not the track. Meaty torque, shorter gearing, that sort of thing. If you want a track weapon, why are you looking at naked bikes? Buy the superbike. If you're looking at a crazy monster street bike, why do you want superbike spec? It doesn't need it, and it would be a comprimised bike if it were. People throw that word "detuned" around like it's some kind of derogatory remark, but what it is is tuned properly for its purpose. I think if you took a superbike map and gearing and slapped it on a naked, you'd end up with a worse bike than one that's come from the factory designed to be a road bike.

A superbike is a great streetbike if you fix the seating position. Great brakes, light weight, high spec suspension, monster engine, etc. People throw the term detuned around like it's bad because modern supersports, especially the literbikes, have insane power everywhere, and generally the best of everything else.

You add weight, reduce the power of the engine, lower the spec on random bits and turn it into something that can probably be a good street bike but the stripped supersport is just...better. And cheaper, usually.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I agree on the engine front. I realise the ZX10 is the only litersport I've ridden, and that it has a pretty exceptional torque curve for the time, but I still expected it to be 'peaky' based on what people say. Compared to my ZRX it's peaky, sure. But it isn't peaky like a 600, it isn't flat and dead under 6000rpm. It pulls perfectly briskly and still faster than most bikes at low to middling revs, it only feels peaky because the upper rev range is mental. So I don't think remapping the engine is necessary for a naked.

I'm entirely convinced it's a marketing ploy. Plus it looks bad if your naked bike is actually faster 0-100 because it has the same power but with shorter gearing and less weight. I'd say that artificial model striation has a lot to do with it as well.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
All the liter class bikes, race-rep, naked, sport-tour, even the silly Diavel have essentially the same three-second 0-60 times. 0-100 variation comes down largely to whether you can do it in one shift or two.

You start seeing performance differences that aren't obviously rider / tire related by the time you hit 150, but most non-race-rep bikes redline around 150-160 anyway.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Yup. This is why it's dumb to retune the bikes.
You know what's not dumb to tune though is smaller lighter bikes. We've got a slightly tuned old CB350 for racing, makes like 30% more hp than stock, has modern shocks and upsized forks and brakes. It's still a crappy old thing performance wise and it's uncomfortable as hell, but it's a loving blast to ride.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You know what's not dumb to tune though is smaller lighter bikes. We've got a slightly tuned old CB350 for racing, makes like 30% more hp than stock, has modern shocks and upsized forks and brakes. It's still a crappy old thing performance wise and it's uncomfortable as hell, but it's a loving blast to ride.

This is why I kept upgrading my SV, the bike was just a blast to ride. It only made about 20% more power than stock, suspension was upgraded, and it was a great first track bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I'm entirely convinced it's a marketing ploy. Plus it looks bad if your naked bike is actually faster 0-100 because it has the same power but with shorter gearing and less weight. I'd say that artificial model striation has a lot to do with it as well.

But the limiting factor up to that speed on anything big is rear tyre traction and keeping the front wheel on the ground - the naked will always be slower in that equation because of the higher CoG. If you want faster up to a 100 (kph or mph) you'll be much better off making the swingarm longer than putting any more horses in it.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But the limiting factor up to that speed on anything big is rear tyre traction and keeping the front wheel on the ground - the naked will always be slower in that equation because of the higher CoG. If you want faster up to a 100 (kph or mph) you'll be much better off making the swingarm longer than putting any more horses in it.

The argument seems to be all about straight line acceleration, which to my mind is the least interesting thing about motorcycle comparison, drat near anything with two wheels is going to go 0-60 faster than 80-90% of cars, especially if you are comparing literbikes.
At what point do you say, "you know what, getting to illegal .002 seconds faster isn't really a big deal, let's make the thing more rideable for the other 90% of the time."

Like you say, if all you care about is going faster, slam your suspension and stretch the swingarm. It makes everything else suck on the bike, but at least you get your speeding ticket sooner.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've ridden, owned, and currently own a large assortment of bikes. From normal street riding/commuting, around 100hp is plenty for out accelerating 99% of cars on the road, without breaking the speed limit in first gear. That being said I have an R1 and GSX-R 1000 and having all that potential power on top for doing quick passes and unleashing on a long empty straightaway is something every rider should experience at some point. I find that most sportbikes the seating position is quite comfortable on top of having good spec suspension/brakes, it's usually the seat itself that can become a buttsore after more than an hour or so.

I think a lot of sportbike stock suspensions appear to have softer rear shocks/springs and the forks tend to be on the firm/stiffer side, so it can be a bit unbalanced for a lot of riders that weigh over 160lbs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So there is this nice Ducati 749 for sale...
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/128-bikes/302489-2004-ducati-749-a.html

...you know what I'm thinking...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's not an awful deal but not a stellar one either.

I love my 749S, it's an awful, impractical, gas guzzling, terrible, uncomfortable, finicky mess, but I love it to death.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

infraboy posted:

I've ridden, owned, and currently own a large assortment of bikes. From normal street riding/commuting, around 100hp is plenty for out accelerating 99% of cars on the road, without breaking the speed limit in first gear. That being said I have an R1 and GSX-R 1000 and having all that potential power on top for doing quick passes and unleashing on a long empty straightaway is something every rider should experience at some point. I find that most sportbikes the seating position is quite comfortable on top of having good spec suspension/brakes, it's usually the seat itself that can become a buttsore after more than an hour or so.

I think a lot of sportbike stock suspensions appear to have softer rear shocks/springs and the forks tend to be on the firm/stiffer side, so it can be a bit unbalanced for a lot of riders that weigh over 160lbs.

I agree with this. For the average rider, liter bikes are as fast as 600's except that acceleration doesn't stop at 60mph. Effortless gobs of power are great and useful and I totally see why people daily drive liter bikes now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Spiffness posted:

It's not an awful deal but not a stellar one either.

I love my 749S, it's an awful, impractical, gas guzzling, terrible, uncomfortable, finicky mess, but I love it to death.

The red wheels, red subframe, and black plastics make me want it NOW... I'd need to sell the GSXR750 - god that thing is a terribly boring bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I suspect that guy will come down another $500 in time. 04 base models are nothing special and are the least desirable of the 749 series bikes. Everyone wants a 04+ 'S' model or a 05-06. Should be able to haggle him lower.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

infraboy posted:

Being skinny and tall my biggest problem with riding a literbike daily (which I don't do anymore and was never part of the plan anyway) is that when I'm not accelerating it gets incredibly tiring and sore on my back. I want a literbike with a length of padding running across the top of the tank to rest my forearm on when I'm riding down the motorway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

So there is this nice Ducati 749 for sale...
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/128-bikes/302489-2004-ducati-749-a.html

...you know what I'm thinking...

This isn't a deal until it gets down to 3k. Salvage title, questionable mods, chinese knockoff fairings, who did that rebuild...

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

BlackMK4 posted:

The red wheels, red subframe, and black plastics make me want it NOW... I'd need to sell the GSXR750 - god that thing is a terribly boring bike.

I'll take the gixxer if you'll just deliver it to TX.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I'll take the gixxer if you'll just deliver it to TX.

I'd do this if I was actually serious about selling it. I'm looking for a DD right now then I'll decide where to go from there.

Z3n posted:

This isn't a deal until it gets down to 3k. Salvage title, questionable mods, chinese knockoff fairings, who did that rebuild...

At least when it blows up I can sit in the garage and make rev noises while I wait to trailer it to the local bar / starbucks so I can sit on it out front and talk to all the girls and

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, one thing you can say about that Ducati, it won't be boring!!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Perhaps I should reevaluate my financial model here :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd do this if I was actually serious about selling it. I'm looking for a DD right now then I'll decide where to go from there.

At least when it blows up I can sit in the garage and make rev noises while I wait to trailer it to the local bar / starbucks so I can sit on it out front and talk to all the girls and

loving ducatis. I'm glad Spiff is happy with his, and Zool is happy with the 999, but man, those loving bikes, just endless bullshit.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What bullshit? There is no bullshit.

We have bikes with hacked to crap wiring from PO's, which isn't really Ducati's fault...

They're awful bikes from a practicality standpoint, and being belt driven ducati's are a bit of a pain to service... but really, they aren't bad at all from an ownership perspective. They're not prone to blowing up for no reason, the electronics are relatively reliable.

Before the 749/999 generation, yeah things are pretty sketchy, but everything after just gets more and more sorted.

Day to day use, they are laughably impractical but as long as you know that going in I don't see any problem with them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Basically if you expect to spend your time either staring at them or riding them on track, they're great.

Anything else? Ahahahahahahaha.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Basically if you expect to spend your time either staring at them or riding them on track, they're great.

Anything else? Ahahahahahahaha.

yeah, but that again isn't 'bullshit' its design. Ducati's engineers had a checklist:

[X] Beautiful
[X] Fast

gently caress the rest. Thus, the xx9's were born, and lo, they were good. Just not as street bikes. Awful, awful street bikes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Spiffness posted:

yeah, but that again isn't 'bullshit' its design. Ducati's engineers had a checklist:

[X] Beautiful
[X] Fast

Where did the Multistrada come from, then?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Where did the Multistrada come from, then?

Every ugly design decision Ducati wanted to make was pooled together and made into one bike, the 1st gen multi. This spared all the other bikes from the same horrible fate.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bbbut they designed that fairing and windscreen so it would still be effective while being able to get full lock on the bars! If you look at it from the right angle, it's pretty good looking! It grows on you!

Actually, it's a fantastic bike to ride, but it just isn't very grin enducing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The multi is one of the best all arounders I've ridden. They are lovely bikes, just ugly as sin. But good. So good.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
I haven't had any problems with my Monster at all... Maybe I'm not riding it enough but I figure 5,000 miles for my first year wasn't bad considering I was living in a rain forest.

E: Probably also because the 620 isn't a highly strung machine at all now that I think about it

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

There's a clean '03 620 Dark (6k miles) in my area for $3500. Given the length of time it's been up (and already price dropped once) I'll bet I could get it for a bit cheaper. It's mighty tempting to turn the tax return and sale of the Ninjette into that.

Edit: Aaaand it's gone. Oh well. While we're on the subject, are ZZR600s terrible bikes or not-terrible bikes?

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 4, 2014

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I think those ZZR600s are basically the 00-02 Kawasaki ZX6-R, still carbed.

Not terrible bikes, but a bit boring when you compare them the the 03-06, 636 models, much better specs.

If you want a bit of a compromise i'd go for a Honda F4i over a zzr600

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

All you bastards have made me start searching for a cheap rear end bandit 1200 in hopes that some fool already did cam swaps and big bores and other power adding things :allears: I don't think they look pretty but 100 ft/lbs is something I can get behind.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy a stock one on the cheap and add that stuff.

4x FCR's MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :allears:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

infraboy posted:

I think those ZZR600s are basically the 00-02 Kawasaki ZX6-R, still carbed.

Not terrible bikes, but a bit boring when you compare them the the 03-06, 636 models, much better specs.

If you want a bit of a compromise i'd go for a Honda F4i over a zzr600

The nice things about the ZZRs is that they have more comfortable ergos, a better rider and pillion seat, etc than a more modern 600. I think they make more sense for street riding / commuting than the later ZXs, even if they are softer.

But yeah, the F4i has the same advantages plus fuel injection, which if you have the choice would put it ahead in my book.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I would love to find one cheap with everything already done. Throwing a bunch of money on mods at an old bike like that sounds like a losing proposition but you bet your rear end I'd be down to ride someone else's money pit.

E: Definitely get an F4i over a ZZR. They're super comfortable and if you make sure you get the split seat variety I still think they're one of the most classic looking sport bikes ever produced. Mine was comfy as hell and was still awesome fun on back roads. I bet you can get a clean enough early example for 2500 or less now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I would love to find one cheap with everything already done. Throwing a bunch of money on mods at an old bike like that sounds like a losing proposition but you bet your rear end I'd be down to ride someone else's money pit.

Throwing a bunch of money at mods on any bike is a losing proposition. May as well do it to the bike you want to do it to

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah, I'm struggling to find cheap(ish) F4i's in my area. There was a ZZR600 with 9k on it for $2500 which is what prompted the inquiry. :v:

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep looking.

Edit: I should probably branch out from craigslist.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 4, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Throwing a bunch of money at mods on any bike is a losing proposition. May as well do it to the bike you want to do it to

This is the part where you realize the 5-7k trackbikes with the usual 20mm fork kit, Penske rear shock, SS motor build + tune, track plastics, rearsets and clipons are literally 20-25k builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bandits are great bikes. It's also the newest vehicle I've ever owned so I might be biased. I think my bike had a working iPhone charger before my car did. :v:

Next engine installment will have a GSXR1100 bottom end for a 6th gear to drop my RPM on the freeway, even if I do get 47 on the freeway to match my 28 city :gonk: .

I always window shop motorcycles but truthfully outside of the eventual supermoto nothing really catches my interests. I think my B12 is the perfect commuter bike. v :) v