Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Cicadalek posted:

"should probably just be part of vanilla"

InventoryTweaks. It's not flashy and adds no items, but the shortcuts it adds are of the "can't live without" type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexacrodium
Feb 29, 2008
I've been playing the Minetek modpack lately but a recent update has caused a shrub and a block of honey to switch item ID's along with another couple of blocks like roots, mud bricks and peridot ore.
So now my entire world has fields covered with blocks of honey and caves filled with mud bricks. Is there any way to undo the damage? like unload all the surrounding chunks in MC edit and have the world respawn around me? I tried using the re-create option to make a fresh (correct) version of the map I'm playing in since I could easily rebuild my base and dupe in my inventory with NEI. The only thing preventing me from going with this option is losing all my thaumcraft research and aspects.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Hexacrodium posted:

I've been playing the Minetek modpack lately but a recent update has caused a shrub and a block of honey to switch item ID's along with another couple of blocks like roots, mud bricks and peridot ore.
So now my entire world has fields covered with blocks of honey and caves filled with mud bricks. Is there any way to undo the damage? like unload all the surrounding chunks in MC edit and have the world respawn around me? I tried using the re-create option to make a fresh (correct) version of the map I'm playing in since I could easily rebuild my base and dupe in my inventory with NEI. The only thing preventing me from going with this option is losing all my thaumcraft research and aspects.

All your thaumcraft research is saved in a text file, you can just copy it.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

wylker posted:

All your thaumcraft research is saved in a text file, you can just copy it.

What file is this? I can't find any thaumcraft files in the save directory.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Wonderful trip report here from Wylker's modpack.

First, some background details, I was playing Hardcore, and locked NEI to prevent cheating. (Outside of giving myself one of the nether star bullshitteries needed to build a portal gun) So this was as legit as you can get.
I was running low on certain materials, iron and lead mostly as they seem to never show up in the modpack for some odd reason, so I went mining. I was playing it pretty safe, hardcore and all that, even had some decent Lapis armor on so I wouldn't die in one hit, and was at y-level 15 to avoid most lava problems. I had about a backpack's worth of materials in hand and was getting ready to head back up after mining the last piece of ore where I was. I was standing on gravel. Something I am normally a bit leery of, but I had just mined out the block on top of it and nothing happened, so I thought it was safe. Que it falling just as I finished mining the ore. I land and there is a small wall in front of me, a pool of lava, and a creeper. The creeper blows up before I can do anything, but because I was wearing armor, I survived. No problem right? Wrong. Another creeper behind me blows up not even a second later, blasting my rear end forward into that pool of lava that the first creeper uncovered when it took out the wall in front of me, killing me in less then a second.
Death message? "Zebrin tried to swim in lava to avoid a creeper."

That was some grade A Rube Goldberg Bullshit there. All because Minecraft decided to update that gravel block later than it should have.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Zebrin posted:

Wonderful trip report here from Wylker's modpack.

First, some background details, I was playing Hardcore, and locked NEI to prevent cheating. (Outside of giving myself one of the nether star bullshitteries needed to build a portal gun) So this was as legit as you can get.
I was running low on certain materials, iron and lead mostly as they seem to never show up in the modpack for some odd reason, so I went mining. I was playing it pretty safe, hardcore and all that, even had some decent Lapis armor on so I wouldn't die in one hit, and was at y-level 15 to avoid most lava problems. I had about a backpack's worth of materials in hand and was getting ready to head back up after mining the last piece of ore where I was. I was standing on gravel. Something I am normally a bit leery of, but I had just mined out the block on top of it and nothing happened, so I thought it was safe. Que it falling just as I finished mining the ore. I land and there is a small wall in front of me, a pool of lava, and a creeper. The creeper blows up before I can do anything, but because I was wearing armor, I survived. No problem right? Wrong. Another creeper behind me blows up not even a second later, blasting my rear end forward into that pool of lava that the first creeper uncovered when it took out the wall in front of me, killing me in less then a second.
Death message? "Zebrin tried to swim in lava to avoid a creeper."

That was some grade A Rube Goldberg Bullshit there. All because Minecraft decided to update that gravel block later than it should have.

Sounds like Minecraft was channeling Spelunky.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Syka posted:

Sounds like Minecraft was channeling Spelunky.

You are the second person who has said that to me today. That is pretty impressive considering MC doesn't have anywhere near the physics system Spelunky has.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

So I guess I'm mentally deficient and I have no experience installing/using minecraft mods beyond launch Technic click button, but is there a way to get something like the block copy and paste functions from WorldEdit working with Never Stop Toasting Diet?

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
How hard would it be to add to that French Vanilla pack? I'd love to toss in TE, MFR and modular power suits (if it's been updated, not sure if it has). Just download them and toss them into the mods folder somewhere? The technic launcher keeps stuff separate so I can still have one save for Technic and another for French Vanilla plus those other bits, right, even if they're on different MC versions?

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004

Sultan Tarquin posted:

B-team is pretty rad but the gusting wind noise gets pretty old fast. Is there a button to turn it off or do you have to delete the mod altogether?
Generikb mentioned this in his first episode, type /config in game and go to page 5 and you can turn it off.

CheetoRamen
Feb 1, 2013
Included in Attack of the B Team is Tropicraft, which I discovered has this on one of the records. Making a jukebox is now worth the diamond! :toot:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

American Dad posted:

Generikb mentioned this in his first episode, type /config in game and go to page 5 and you can turn it off.

Thank christ. Also more B-team stuff. Since there's no buildcraft there are no pumps. Is the only way to fuel magmatic engines by setting up a lava crucible farm and pumping it that way?

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
You can also use a lava fabricator from MFR.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Ah, true, totally forgot about MFR. Might as well post my little tinkers construct forge I made. I really flipping love the chisel mod. It has so many amazingly detailed blocks and the chisel doesn't take 100 diamonds to make. I should try and replace the roof with some carpenters sloped blocks too now that I think about it.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Look Right posted:

Included in Attack of the B Team is Tropicraft, which I discovered has this on one of the records. Making a jukebox is now worth the diamond! :toot:
Until I can have a factory with pointlessly redundant conveyor belts with Powerhouse playing, the jukebox will never be worth the diamond.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

BlueOccamy posted:

How hard would it be to add to that French Vanilla pack? I'd love to toss in TE, MFR and modular power suits (if it's been updated, not sure if it has). Just download them and toss them into the mods folder somewhere? The technic launcher keeps stuff separate so I can still have one save for Technic and another for French Vanilla plus those other bits, right, even if they're on different MC versions?
Not hard, just (possibly) tedious. There's a good guide here that explains how you do it. The main issues would be ID errors, which would mean going through each new mod you added and making sure none of the new blocks overlap. If none of the IDs overlap, it's as simple as putting them in the mod folder. French Vanilla runs on Minecraft 1.6, btw, so everything should be updated long ago. Are those the only three mods you wanted to add? I won't make any promises, but I might find some time this week to put together a modified modpack for you.

As for your second question, yes, I think? I'm not sure I understand. The technic launcher keeps all the modpacks you install completely separate, which is why Tekkit can be on 1.5 and Hexxit on 1.6, and so on. It's all very simple and straight forward, and you can even switch vanilla minecraft versions through the Technic Launcher. If I'm understanding your question correct.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

vibur posted:

Until I can have a factory with pointlessly redundant conveyor belts with Powerhouse playing, the jukebox will never be worth the diamond.

Thanks heaps. I'd had that song stuck in my head from the moment I sent items through ducts but I had no idea how to find it.

Also,

Tommofork posted:

So I guess I'm mentally deficient and I have no experience installing/using minecraft mods beyond launch Technic click button, but is there a way to get something like the block copy and paste functions from WorldEdit working with Never Stop Toasting Diet?

help? :(

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

You might be able to use MCPC+ and just install WorldEdit that way.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Speaking of which, and paging KingLemming in general (I know that you've pretty much moved on from TE and MC Modding at this point, but I'm hoping you can still give an answer), I'm having a (very slight) issue in TE3 where icons in the machine guis and certain items are rendered as completely transparent. I'm assuming this is a result of using MCPatcher and I tried Optifine instead, but that caused flickering along sides of certain machines which was far more annoying to me. Is there anything I can do to resolve this, or is it a known issue that I shall just have to live with? (It's not a big issue, I mean, there are tooltips for the gui icons after all and it's only, like, the machine frame and one other item that renders invisible).

You're welcome!

The machine side thing is OptiFail hard at work. There's some kind of z-level "optimization" that it does which would absolutely in no way improve FPS, but it's part of the package. There's no way to handle this outside of just not using it.

As far as MCPatcher, I assume it's the same sort of deal. Bit of a fail on their part. What I don't understand is why you're using either one. Forge natively supports HD textures now.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Jonked posted:

Not hard, just (possibly) tedious. There's a good guide here that explains how you do it. The main issues would be ID errors, which would mean going through each new mod you added and making sure none of the new blocks overlap. If none of the IDs overlap, it's as simple as putting them in the mod folder. French Vanilla runs on Minecraft 1.6, btw, so everything should be updated long ago. Are those the only three mods you wanted to add? I won't make any promises, but I might find some time this week to put together a modified modpack for you.

As for your second question, yes, I think? I'm not sure I understand. The technic launcher keeps all the modpacks you install completely separate, which is why Tekkit can be on 1.5 and Hexxit on 1.6, and so on. It's all very simple and straight forward, and you can even switch vanilla minecraft versions through the Technic Launcher. If I'm understanding your question correct.

If you're willing to do that it would be amazing, I'm seriously super bad with computer stuff like this (just ask Enzer, I tried playing on WilsonSMP around a year ago when they had a modpack to use and it took forever before we got it working). And yeah, you understood my second question correctly :) I had no idea that Technic and Hexxit were separate MC versions, that's neat!

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Attack of the B-Team trip report.

Why am I a pig?

edit:

Wheeeee, I have stopped caring why I am the things I kill and have learned to love being a bat.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 4, 2014

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
If you want to change your shape, hit [ or ].

B-Team is fun, the server I've got going is relatively stable now, though I'm trying to fix a waypoint issue at the moment. Feel free to hop on, thread in PGS called G-Team.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Unless the energy from magmatic engines got tweaked, then making lava with a lava fabricator to fuel magmatic engines is pointless at best, lossy at worst. The magma crucible is pointless if you use cobble, but if you feed it netherrack, then you can have a net positive energy income.

However, I think your best option here would be to set up a treefarm with Minefactory Reloaded, feed the resulting logs into a sawmill, and send those planks off to a bank of steam engines. You'll also get sawdust, and you can combine eight of those into a thing you can turn into charcoal, but I don't think that'll come in fast enough to be worth considering as a fuel source for the engine array.

Or you can process coal into liquefacted coal by pulverizing it and throwing the powder in a magma crucible. That'll get you a good amount of power too, but obviously, it requires a non-renewable resources. And while lava is also technically non-renewable for the purposes of power generation, it's available in such vast quantities that it might as well be infinite.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

MechaCrash posted:

Unless the energy from magmatic engines got tweaked, then making lava with a lava fabricator to fuel magmatic engines is pointless at best, lossy at worst. The magma crucible is pointless if you use cobble, but if you feed it netherrack, then you can have a net positive energy income.

However, I think your best option here would be to set up a treefarm with Minefactory Reloaded, feed the resulting logs into a sawmill, and send those planks off to a bank of steam engines. You'll also get sawdust, and you can combine eight of those into a thing you can turn into charcoal, but I don't think that'll come in fast enough to be worth considering as a fuel source for the engine array.

Or you can process coal into liquefacted coal by pulverizing it and throwing the powder in a magma crucible. That'll get you a good amount of power too, but obviously, it requires a non-renewable resources. And while lava is also technically non-renewable for the purposes of power generation, it's available in such vast quantities that it might as well be infinite.

Speaking of power exploits and sawmills, there used to be a great exploit in the 1.4.7 version of Big Dig where you could send a wood block to a sawmill, get 6 planks instead of 4, then combine 4 planks back into a wood block with an EE3 minium stone, resulting in an infinite loop of wood. Good times.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Which is ultimately made redundant by the fact that wood is a renewable resource in almost every version of Minecraft. Even if it does help make server destroying perpetual power generators.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

There's also the fact that miniun stones take damage with use. They are sort of renewable, because they require gold and iron to make, and you can transmute those out of Ender pearls and other renewable things, but you aren't getting those two planks for free.

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

MechaCrash posted:

There's also the fact that miniun stones take damage with use. They are sort of renewable, because they require gold and iron to make, and you can transmute those out of Ender pearls and other renewable things, but you aren't getting those two planks for free.

You are if you used a crafting turtle, which didn't/doesn't cause damage to ee3 minium stones on use.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Good point. I figure if you're willing to go to the effort of setting up a crafting turtle with a miniun stone to get free planks, gently caress it, you earned all that wood just as much as someone who set up a proper tree farm.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

bbcisdabomb posted:

You might be able to use MCPC+ and just install WorldEdit that way.

I have no idea what that is but I'll try to find out later. Thanks.

GhostSeven
Apr 23, 2005

Yesterday Was A Million Years Ago

Gerdalti posted:

If you want to change your shape, hit [ or ].

B-Team is fun, the server I've got going is relatively stable now, though I'm trying to fix a waypoint issue at the moment. Feel free to hop on, thread in PGS called G-Team.

Server is lots of fun, thing big-dig ore + cool fun mods. Gerdalti has been great at keeping the server stable and fixing bugs (I was a server murderer with Minions :)

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

KingLemming posted:

The machine side thing is OptiFail hard at work. There's some kind of z-level "optimization" that it does which would absolutely in no way improve FPS, but it's part of the package. There's no way to handle this outside of just not using it.

As far as MCPatcher, I assume it's the same sort of deal. Bit of a fail on their part. What I don't understand is why you're using either one. Forge natively supports HD textures now.

It was pretty much what I expected then. And yeah, I was aware of OptiFail being pretty good at making z-fighting happen, which is a large part of why I dropped it (The flickering vines it caused annoyed me so much that I couldn't visit jungle or swamp biomes at times). As for MCPatcher, I'm making use of the few things it adds that Forge doesn't yet do (CTM, Better Skies, Varied mobs etc.).

Either way, I'll certainly live. Thanks for the answer!

Tommofork posted:

I have no idea what that is but I'll try to find out later. Thanks.

It's a minecraft server that tries combining forge and bukkit so that you can run mods/plugins from both. It (usually) works nicely, though recently I had great trouble getting Tinkers Construct to work. Apart from that, it hasn't really caused me any trouble at least (plus some of the bukkit plugins do mesh fairly nicely with forge world generation-changing mods. Giant Caves in particular.)

Inepta Lacerta fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 4, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Ah, true, totally forgot about MFR. Might as well post my little tinkers construct forge I made. I really flipping love the chisel mod. It has so many amazingly detailed blocks and the chisel doesn't take 100 diamonds to make. I should try and replace the roof with some carpenters sloped blocks too now that I think about it.

Man, that's really pretty. It looks like something out of a 90s 3D FPS or something. In a good way.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
If you like chisel you should grab yourself a painterly pack, most of the textures are straight from painterly anyhow.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

KingLemming posted:

To be completely fair, MCPatcher is used for a ton of things outside HDtextures nowadays. From Connected Texture support, to random mobs, to custom item textures, to biome specific mobs and textures, to providing a more sane way of handling biome colors since the format was changed for 1.7. So MCpatcher does has its uses, its just a shame that it doesn't play well with some mods.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 4, 2014

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Abe Frohman posted:

If you like chisel you should grab yourself a painterly pack, most of the textures are straight from painterly anyhow.

I might end up just going with painterly myself after trying out Sphax for NST Diet. The 128x textures just take so long to load and I just don't see it being worth an improvement over even the 64x Soartex. Plus my build used the hell out of Chisel.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Inepta Lacerta posted:

It's a minecraft server that tries combining forge and bukkit so that you can run mods/plugins from both. It (usually) works nicely, though recently I had great trouble getting Tinkers Construct to work. Apart from that, it hasn't really caused me any trouble at least (plus some of the bukkit plugins do mesh fairly nicely with forge world generation-changing mods. Giant Caves in particular.)

In that case it's not what I'm looking for, thanks though. I pretty much want tools to build structures/terraform as easily as possible, then move into the world and play. Creative mode is ok but I would kill for copy/paste to make repeat detail work tolerable.

I could really use a primer on world building tools. I am struggling with the different acronyms and go mentally blank trying to figure it out.

Also, I just saw that you can make a sound muffler in NSTD. I am thankful as now I could have an animal farm without wanting to top myself.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I would use a texture pack but sphax is so fragmented and the website is so loving godawful to use you just end up with an inconsistent style. No sphax pack is ever fully complete so you get a mix of new/original textures that looks worse than either one.

Speaking of textures. Wasn't Extra Noise making his quandary texture pack the official one for tekkit? It was always my favourite :ohdear:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
What mod does Attack of the B-Team (and packs like it) use to manage their ore distribution? I want to add Applied Energistics to the B-Team just because it feels weird having all these science mods but no central storage, but I worry that if I add it, certus quartz will be entirely too rare, especially since all other ore gen in B-Team is ramped way the hell up. I'm not sure what the best way to manage it would be. Anyone have any insight?

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
If I had to guess, probably COFH Core

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Tommofork posted:

In that case it's not what I'm looking for, thanks though. I pretty much want tools to build structures/terraform as easily as possible, then move into the world and play. Creative mode is ok but I would kill for copy/paste to make repeat detail work tolerable.

I could really use a primer on world building tools. I am struggling with the different acronyms and go mentally blank trying to figure it out.

Also, I just saw that you can make a sound muffler in NSTD. I am thankful as now I could have an animal farm without wanting to top myself.

I thought SinglePlayerCommands came with WorldEdit, though? Or is that incompatible with forge? (Was *ages* since I last checked, and only just now remembered that it was in there.).

• Locked thread