Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
Ask them politely to move to a different locale?

Or the drum thing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

underlig posted:

3 meters from me people are having a discussion/meeting at the big desk.
I was not told this was going to happen, i currently have moldex sparkplugs in my years, pushed in as far as possible, and i still hear them

How the gently caress do you even get the idea to schedule a meeting in someone elses room, i'm not a part of it, without telling them?

As a second gently caress-you i just checked and the big meetingroom in the office is empty, nobodys using it. There is also a smaller one with a big whiteboard in another end of the office that hasn't been used for months, with a loving door you can close.

I can't concentrate at all on all the idiotic poo poo i have to get done today

I really can't believe a grown adult would write this. Did you really not say a word even though it was bothering you this much? The diagram is just the icing!

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
Is it just me or do applications with no way to auto-update themselves annoy people? I hate having to go to a website to download the latest version of a piece of software when the developers could have implemented an auto-update feature.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

MPC-HC always ends up a few versions behind for me because of that. Also keepass because it doesn't check for updates until after you've put in the master password and I can't be bothered to go download, install, and re-auth just after I've finished typing my huge master password.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress stuff that has an update button that is actually just link for a browser to go off and download a file that I then need to install and which then wipes out my preferences (VLC I'm looking at you not that long ago).

More annoying is the way Adobe Flash is handled on a Mac - it's set to auto-update by itself in the background, but will still pop up the window asking you if you want to upgrade now or if you ignore it then it updates in the background like it's supposed to. The upgrade now button opens a browser to the Flash download page.

For gently caress's sake, just update in the background like I said. If you want to pop up a notification (not a dialog box, use the OS X poo poo to notify me) then go for it, or don't. Whatever.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bob Morales posted:

Pick your laptop up and go to Starbucks or another office.

Get headphones

Open offices blow
Talk to the person as though they're a literal human being

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Lum posted:

Ahahaha, if that ancient version was old enough to still be branded Veritas, then you just shot yourself in the foot.

Enjoy your lack of backups and a product that lies to you!

Oh yeah, definitely this. I know you (GargleBlaster) were bitching about it, but the UI is actually the most functional part of the program, inasmuch as when you click a part of it, usually something happens. The rest of the program cannot be said to achieve that level of utility. :cb:

ENJOY!

(No but really shoot yourself in the head it will be much more enjoyable than dealing with that pile of poo poo).

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Potato Alley posted:

(No but really shoot yourself in the head it will be much more enjoyable than dealing with that pile of poo poo).

My most recent (and only) experience with BackupExec 2012 went something like:

"I see that OtherAdmin has finally built that new backup server. Oh cool! He's already got BackupExec 2012 installed. I'll just launch it to see what it looks li-OHHOLYSHITFUCKTHATNOISE! Alt-F4."

He's now the designated backup bitch because gently caress BackupExec.

Mercifully, in my current gig the Storage Ops team handles all backup things so all I have to do is make sure the agent on each guest is current and the rest is up to them. gently caress backups forever.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

In just over a year of using BE2012 I've gotten maybe 3 days where one of my 30+ backups didn't have some sort of error. Only once on my weekly B2D->Dupe to Tape runs has it not hosed up at some point and skipped something.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Misogynist posted:

Talk to the person as though they're a literal human being

Human beings are terrible. :smith:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

I really can't believe a grown adult would write this. Did you really not say a word even though it was bothering you this much? The diagram is just the icing!

This is the same guy who used a broken chair that was literally causing him physical harm for a long period when his employer wouldn't replace it. Underlig, you seem like a good guy, but please grow a spine. It won't hurt, in fact it feels kind of good!

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Got an unexpected package from IBM just now. IBM Rubik's cube for scale. Thing is pretty big.

Have this R/C car, but meet with us to get your controller! :haw:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Here's something I just did.

Installing Windows and starting to install/customize your settings when you realize that you've accidentally installed the 32bit version instead of 64. :negative:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Here's something I just did.

Installing Windows and starting to install/customize your settings when you realize that you've accidentally installed the 32bit version instead of 64. :negative:

I don't install windows manually. Its MDT/WDS or bust.

Also, this dude wrote an article over something I have been doing for a while. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/hh825626.aspx Its a good read for a lot of folks in here I am sure.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 4, 2014

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

underlig posted:

3 meters from me people are having a discussion/meeting at the big desk.
I was not told this was going to happen, i currently have moldex sparkplugs in my years, pushed in as far as possible, and i still hear them

Do you know how to properly insert foam earplugs? Most people don't do it correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S6dthcSVIM

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Do you know how to properly insert foam earplugs? Most people don't do it correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S6dthcSVIM

Was I the only one immediately grossed out by the thumbnail of this video? The last thing this poster needs is even more ways to avoid conflict.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Was I the only one immediately grossed out by the thumbnail of this video? The last thing this poster needs is even more ways to avoid conflict.

Yes, but improperly inserted earplugs can cause hearing damage.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I work in telecom tech support. Got a call today from a dentist office that couldn't make local calls to one particular exchange. Let's say XXX-123-YYYY. I ask for an example, they ask the receptionist who first reported the issue, and they say they can't remember any of the patients the tried to call that day with that number.

So then we spend about 10 minutes trying to find any number in XXX-123 so I can have them test call. I'm looking up post offices, she's looking through patient records. Finally we find one, it fails. Good. I'm wrapping up the ticket, about 30 minutes into the call, and this happens:

:eng101: can I get a contact number for you?

:downs: sure, it's XXX-123.......

I'm going to kill myself.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

you ate my cat posted:

I work in telecom tech support. Got a call today from a dentist office that couldn't make local calls to one particular exchange. Let's say XXX-123-YYYY. I ask for an example, they ask the receptionist who first reported the issue, and they say they can't remember any of the patients the tried to call that day with that number.

So then we spend about 10 minutes trying to find any number in XXX-123 so I can have them test call. I'm looking up post offices, she's looking through patient records. Finally we find one, it fails. Good. I'm wrapping up the ticket, about 30 minutes into the call, and this happens:

:eng101: can I get a contact number for you?

:downs: sure, it's XXX-123.......

I'm going to kill myself.

It took me a minute to realize that she gave you a cell/house number? My first thought was that she gave you the office number, but it was a cell/home and not the office.. right?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

MF_James posted:

It took me a minute to realize that she gave you a cell/house number? My first thought was that she gave you the office number, but it was a cell/home and not the office.. right?

Yeah, sorry. We spent all that time trying to find a number she could test with, and her personal cell was one we could have used.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

I never tell people when they do stuff that for me clearly shows that they don't give a gently caress about me. I never have and i really have no idea how to, the few time i've had to comment on something like this i've been so worked up that i start to stutter and sweat.

I had a few "are you seriously going to have a meeting right here?"-ish sentences worked up but i just couldn't get them out.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

underlig posted:

I never tell people when they do stuff that for me clearly shows that they don't give a gently caress about me. I never have and i really have no idea how to, the few time i've had to comment on something like this i've been so worked up that i start to stutter and sweat.

I had a few "are you seriously going to have a meeting right here?"-ish sentences worked up but i just couldn't get them out.

"Hey, guys? I'm trying to work on [COMPLEX TASK] over here, but it looks like Conference Room Charlie is open. Would you guys mind moving over there?"

Always try to bring the solution up when you have a problem.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Ynglaur posted:

PMs who have zero technical skills also drive me up the wall backwards and make my head rotate 360 degrees. I'm probably too far in the opposite direction, and need to better control my urge to dive into a configuration and just Fix The drat Thing, but it still amazes me how many PMs in IT can't even be troubled to so much as look at a log file to try to understand something.

Don't get me wrong: I'm fine if they're not an expert, but at least demonstrate some interest in the technology being implemented. If not, why are you an IT PM? Why not go PM something else, in some corporate function that interests you?

This. Also analysts that know nothing about IT and so produce documentation that is effectively impossible to implement or so vague that the dev team have to make it up themselves.

See also: "its Agile so we don't need a specification or a plan!".

On the other hand I think our developers hate me sometimes because I lob 15 pages of xml specs, data types and entity relationship diagrams at them and they get fed up reading it :v:

Edit: just remembered a story: one IT pm complained that app x didn't fit the browser window properly (because adobe flex is poo poo and can't scale) and when asked "what's your screen resolution" came back 5 mins later and said "17 inches" :suicide:.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 5, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Do you know what I loving love?

Spending 5 hours twiddling my thumbs while Verizon tries to install FiOS and the client's A/V guy makes sure everybody present knows he's King poo poo of Big Dick Mountain.

:suicide:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

underlig posted:

You didn't actually say anything, so they might actually think that YOU DIDN'T MIND. "OK, looks like Underlig's room is free, he's probably too busy to notice us."

I kind of have to agree about growing a backbone. You should probably see a therapist :ohdear:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

underlig posted:

People won't ever respect you until you require them to. That is life.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Volmarias posted:

I kind of have to agree about growing a backbone. You should probably see a therapist :ohdear:

Therapy could help but it might not be that serious. I'm shy but I try to speak what I'm thinking.

In this situation I hope I'd speak up as soon as I noticed people gathering in front of my desk.

"Are you guys having a meeting right here? Is the conference room full?"

It's a reasonable question. I don't even think it's rude since they are assembled right in front of you.

If you've let things linger to the point where you're checking the conference room yourself and making an MS paint diagram to post to this thread, it's too late to do anything about it. Go get a coffee and try not to mumble about your stapler.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

On the other hand I think our developers hate me sometimes because I lob 15 pages of xml specs, data types and entity relationship diagrams at them and they get fed up reading it :v:
If you're some analyst or PM dumping 15 pages of XML or UML bullshit at me like all I'm supposed to do is fill in the skeleton of some enterprisey app with the design you picked, I don't hate you because I'm "fed up reading it", I hate you because you're treating me like a mechanical turk instead of someone who writes software for a living.

Tell me what I need to interface with and with what parameters/data types. That's all.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 5, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mewse posted:

Therapy could help but it might not be that serious. I'm shy but I try to speak what I'm thinking.

In this situation I hope I'd speak up as soon as I noticed people gathering in front of my desk.

"Are you guys having a meeting right here? Is the conference room full?"

It's a reasonable question. I don't even think it's rude since they are assembled right in front of you.

If you've let things linger to the point where you're checking the conference room yourself and making an MS paint diagram to post to this thread, it's too late to do anything about it. Go get a coffee and try not to mumble about your stapler.

I think underlig goes way, way beyond shy, if you look at his post history.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sickening posted:

amazing things can happen when you grow a backbone.

If there's anything that anyone should learn from this thread, it's this.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm having trouble getting games for windows live to work on windows 8.1 which is eventually going to piss me off (whenever I get the urge to play Dark Souls again) but right now I think it's hilarious. I'm just going to assume Microsoft wants to pretend that heap of poo poo never existed and, really, who could blame them. Windows 8.1: Protecting you from the horrors of GFWL.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Galler posted:

I'm having trouble getting games for windows live to work on windows 8.1 which is eventually going to piss me off (whenever I get the urge to play Dark Souls again) but right now I think it's hilarious. I'm just going to assume Microsoft wants to pretend that heap of poo poo never existed and, really, who could blame them. Windows 8.1: Protecting you from the horrors of GFWL.
Isn't GFWL dead?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

In the sense that no more games are being made that use it. However all of the games that required GFWL won't run if the GFWL application isn't installed and functioning.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Galler posted:

In the sense that no more games are being made that use it. However all of the games that required GFWL won't run if the GFWL application isn't installed and functioning.

Supposedly it's now Games for Windows Marketplace

That said, there are a variety of drop-in xlive.dll files out there that satisfy the game's requirements without actually needing that poo poo installed. Can't link to them because of the obvious piracy use, but it's largely a solved problem no thanks to Microsoft.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Sudbina posted:

Is it just me or do applications with no way to auto-update themselves annoy people? I hate having to go to a website to download the latest version of a piece of software when the developers could have implemented an auto-update feature.

Yes, it really bugs me. The worst example being as Caged said - Adobe Flash on the Mac. (Though at least it doesn't bundle malware like the Windows version)

alt.flash.die.die.die

All software IMO should have automatic background updates, with the ability to switch to authorised updates if you're someone who cares (or whose job it is to care) about doing that.

Potato Alley posted:

:(

Well we seem to have beat it into submission (*touch wood*), barring the stupidity that it tries to back up its own database while it's in use by itself (:downs:), causing a warning.

We finally got FTTC in the area so cloud backups are more of a possibility than they were before...

Wizard of the Deep posted:

"Hey, guys? I'm trying to work on [COMPLEX TASK] over here, but it looks like Conference Room Charlie is open. Would you guys mind moving over there?"

Always try to bring the solution up when you have a problem.

This is the correct and mature response, and how to be seen as helpful in the process if you're bothered about being a pain.

Volmarias posted:

I think underlig goes way, way beyond shy, if you look at his post history.

AFAIK there's a strong correlation between geeks and social awkwardness and/or diagnosed autism, social anxiety etc. It's just a case of explaining the correct way to handle various situations with other people, even if it seems a little obvious to others.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sickening posted:

I don't install windows manually. Its MDT/WDS or bust.

Also, this dude wrote an article over something I have been doing for a while. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/hh825626.aspx Its a good read for a lot of folks in here I am sure.

This was for my own personal install :(

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Normally I don't have a problem with getting a day off work due to weather, but this is not the week I want it to happen. I've got a dentist appointment on Thursday, as well as late-night patching, and I was sort of planning on being off after lunch on Friday so I could take care of some last minute details before I move into my apartment on Saturday. I cannot wait until Spring gets here and all I have to worry about is rain.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Normally I don't have a problem with getting a day off work due to weather, but this is not the week I want it to happen. I've got a dentist appointment on Thursday, as well as late-night patching, and I was sort of planning on being off after lunch on Friday so I could take care of some last minute details before I move into my apartment on Saturday. I cannot wait until Spring gets here and all I have to worry about is rain.

this a million times, I've gotten pretty lucky this year because I was given the ability to work from home recently, thank god too because we've had -10F nights/days which is like -30 or -40 with the wind and my car didn't start probably 4 days, on top of the snow on other days where I couldn't move my truck because it's a loving ford ranger that weighs nothing.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Reading 2 threads worth of IT peoples and I've come to the conclusion, I am a gigantic door mat. I've got relevant certs but I've been on the Tier 1 Helpdesk for almost 4 years. It's an MSP so I'm not getting much experience working in a normal enviroment. Problem is, I like the company and the people. I'm just not going anywhere. :sigh: If I move on, I'm worried I'll not have the hands on experience I need and screw up. Hi to you anxiety :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Reading 2 threads worth of IT peoples and I've come to the conclusion, I am a gigantic door mat. I've got relevant certs but I've been on the Tier 1 Helpdesk for almost 4 years. It's an MSP so I'm not getting much experience working in a normal enviroment. Problem is, I like the company and the people. I'm just not going anywhere. :sigh: If I move on, I'm worried I'll not have the hands on experience I need and screw up. Hi to you anxiety :(

This is the first time I have ever heard of someone saying they are having a hard time touching things at a MSP. Have you tried asking to learn new stuff at your current gig?