Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

JordanKai posted:

"[...]You can play the entire game without taking a single life, employing non-lethal arrow types[...]"

If I need to use weapons at all in order to do a pacifist run it doesn't count. Whether or not it's non-lethal doesn't matter, dangit! :argh:

Without having seen the trailer, could it refere to the Water-arrows for putting out torches, or blunt arrows for activating switches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Does the PS4 have a "Playstation Plus" section like the PS3 does where you can just pull a list of whatever's free/discounted? I feel like it does, yet whenever I go there there's nothing in the section but advertising about how I should sign up for PS+. This isn't a big deal now as the system barely has any games on it but once there's more it's going to be a pain to have to search out every game individually.

Is this a glitch I'm experiencing or is the PS+ "section" literally just there to tell you to sign up for something you already have quite a bit of time for.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

motherbox posted:

So last page someone confirmed that a HDMI->DVI converter would work for the PS4. Am I correct in assuming that an HDMI->Component converter would cause some problems because it's a different type of signal? I've got a perfectly fine HDTV that's a bit old, so it doesn't have HDMI output, and I really can't justify replacing a perfectly good television. That TV would definitely be my preferred display to play on...

My monitor has an HDMI port and would be great for the PS4, but I don't know what I'd do about audio. I have some analog speakers and a wireless USB headset, but I'm guessing neither of those would work, right?

HDMI is a completely digital signal whereas Component is a completely analog signal. You would need an HDMI to Component converter box (EDIT looks like you might be able to find them for $40ish), and would need it to bypass HDCP which might require an extra $20ish box (or waiting for the PS4 firmware patch promising to get rid of it). Each box would need a power source.

As for audio, you can get analog audio only by connecting it directly into your controller. The system itself will only output audio through HDMI or optical out (although you can get a converter box for the optical, and the boxes alluded to earlier might have L/R RCA audio output).

Ultimately with the cost of what you would need, it might more cost-effective to just replace the TV.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 5, 2014

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
The dudes in Outlast are the worst part, most of them are pretty friendly and you can just cruise around them high fiving.

It's actually kinda frustrating that there's no real way to tell which ones will hit you - I guess that's the intent, to keep you "on edge" but instead it just makes me want to chill with the nice ones.

The part after you get drugged in the beginning (?) reminds me a lot o Demon's Souls Tower of Latria though.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Neo Rasa posted:

Does the PS4 have a "Playstation Plus" section like the PS3 does where you can just pull a list of whatever's free/discounted? I feel like it does, yet whenever I go there there's nothing in the section but advertising about how I should sign up for PS+. This isn't a big deal now as the system barely has any games on it but once there's more it's going to be a pain to have to search out every game individually.

Is this a glitch I'm experiencing or is the PS+ "section" literally just there to tell you to sign up for something you already have quite a bit of time for.

I got tired of using the PS4 store. The phone app is way faster, and it shows all the devices

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Iacen posted:

Without having seen the trailer, could it refere to the Water-arrows for putting out torches, or blunt arrows for activating switches?

Those are there, but the line he is quoting was accompanied by footage of a knock-out gas-tipped arrow and a blunt melee weapon.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Neo Rasa posted:

I agree there is some work that needs to go into this, people bitch about Xbox Live Gold a lot but at least you can get you your new free games each month straight from the front page of the dashboard, it's a bloody chore to find stuff on PSN. This is going to be a right pain a couple of years down the line when the PS4 has a sizeable game collection.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The best thing about Outlast is how the objective changes for the first time.

So far anyway, shiiiiiit.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 5, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PhancyPants posted:

I got tired of using the PS4 store. The phone app is way faster, and it shows all the devices

Doesn't the phone app just pull up the website?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Doesn't the phone app just pull up the website?

Yup.

The web store is the best way to do things anyway, even with the improvements on the PS4 (although that's entirely web-based too I guess).

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Ularg posted:

Those are there, but the line he is quoting was accompanied by footage of a knock-out gas-tipped arrow and a blunt melee weapon.

There's supposedly an achievement for "Finished the game without a single kill or knockout". So it looks like it's entirely do-able to finish the game with pure stealth.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

PlayStation Now is a joke, says Pachter

quote:

“PlayStation Now is a joke. There is no publisher that is going to license content that’s less than two-years old because they would be concerned that they can’t sell as many copies if they make it available for subscription or rental.

“This has no prayer of working. None.”

Pachter’s rationale is that publishers will not license their game for monthly streaming as it will dent their ‘per-unit’ sales, along the same lines as bands on Spotify.

Allow me to rephrase that:

quote:

“PlayStation Plus is a joke. There is no publisher that is going to license content that’s less than two-years old because they would be concerned that they can’t sell as many copies if they make it available for subscription.

“This has no prayer of working. None.”

Patcher is so consistently wrong that it's pretty much guaranteed that the opposite of what he says will happen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Michael Pachter might be right, but there is a 90% chance he is wrong. The dude is wrong often, and he even admits it. I don't know why so many people think he has any sort of credibility as a businessman. He even admits he doesn't understand the video game industry, the one industry he focuses on exclusively.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway
Michael Patcher is not aware that Sony has already convinced publishers to literally give away their less-than-1-year-old game for a one-time lump sum, I guess.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

Patcher is so consistently wrong that it's pretty much guaranteed that the opposite of what he says will happen.

Nobody is going to license new games to this service for old games!

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
My issue with stuff like Dishonored or Thief touting their 'non-lethal' options is that using Gas arrows is no different to using another arrow to kill the dude you're knocking out. It's got no effect on your actions at all except that you click "Knockout Arrow" in your inventory instead of "Sharp Arrow" and you get +5 Good Points.

EDIT: Also, yeah, I think Netflix proved that subscription based content providers don't ever work.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 5, 2014

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Just like how no 3rd parties will put up free games on PS+ because it'll eat into their sales too!

Except Bioshock Infinite, Hitman Absolution, Borderlands 2, Spec Ops: The line, Saints Row 3, Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Bioshock 2, Payday 2.....

I'm sure all of them were less then 2 years old when they went free, and a lot of them are less then 12 months old.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Spalec posted:

I'm sure all of them were less then 2 years old when they went free, and a lot of them are less then 12 months old.

Sleeping Dogs wasn't even 10 months old when it went free.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If NPCs can wake each other up when KOed, then there's a practical difference, but a lot of games don't do this.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

univbee posted:

HDMI is a completely digital signal whereas Component is a completely analog signal. You would need an HDMI to Component converter box (EDIT looks like you might be able to find them for $40ish), and would need it to bypass HDCP which might require an extra $20ish box (or waiting for the PS4 firmware patch promising to get rid of it). Each box would need a power source.

As for audio, you can get analog audio only by connecting it directly into your controller. The system itself will only output audio through HDMI or optical out (although you can get a converter box for the optical, and the boxes alluded to earlier might have L/R RCA audio output).

Ultimately with the cost of what you would need, it might more cost-effective to just replace the TV.

I wouldn't mind throwing down $60 for a converter box that can bypass HDCP; that was my biggest concern. I'm having trouble finding one through Google--any recommendations? It's not too urgent, anyway. As long as the patch is out by the time Ground Zeroes is released, I don't really care.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

motherbox posted:

I wouldn't mind throwing down $60 for a converter box that can bypass HDCP; that was my biggest concern. I'm having trouble finding one through Google--any recommendations? It's not too urgent, anyway. As long as the patch is out by the time Ground Zeroes is released, I don't really care.

HDCP is kind of tricky because anything which bypasses it officially is technically illegal in the US. There are splitter boxes (1 HDMI to 2 HDMI) that will do it for like $20 but you have to do some digging for comments to make sure it does it (e.g. Sewell used to make one but I think more recently built ones don't). Some HDMI to Component boxes may do it directly without needing an extra box, too, Monoprice used to have one.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MZ posted:

I agree there is some work that needs to go into this, people bitch about Xbox Live Gold a lot but at least you can get you your new free games each month straight from the front page of the dashboard, it's a bloody chore to find stuff on PSN. This is going to be a right pain a couple of years down the line when the PS4 has a sizeable game collection.

Don't remember how it is on the console, but on the web store go to the "PlayStation plus" section and then "free games" and voila you get a list of everything available for free (avatars and the other stuff have their own section).

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Hasn't the entire "rental" industry proven since the dawn of the VHS that having things for rent doesn't effect per unit sales at all?

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.
Well Outlast, I spent more time waiting for you to download than I'll spend playing you. I have just got to a door with a library sign on it and a guy fell from the ceiling I think.. Considering when I was young I'd play resident evil and silent hill even though parts scared the poo poo out of me the older I get the more I can't handle horror.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What happened to Planetside 2 coming to PS4? I thought that was going to be in January. Has there been anymore updates?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Planetside 2 is sadly back to "TBA." :(

xgalaxy posted:

Hasn't the entire "rental" industry proven since the dawn of the VHS that having things for rent doesn't effect per unit sales at all?

I have to disagree, up until the mid-nineties this was true because VHS prices wouldn't drop down to consumer level affordability until some time after a movie was already out of theaters (in some cases over a year after). Also keep in mind the lower time commitment with movies. With games if someone rents a game and doesn't love it, they're never going to pick it up again after that rental is over. With movies, if you love a movie, sooner or later you'll pay for it either via a streaming service, getting a blu-ray when it's on sale, something. Hell even look at the number of times you hear "Well I saw that movie again and actually..."

Like if someone rented Skyrim, played it for ten hours and ended up not liking what they played. Six months later they're not going to think "Oh let me pick up that game I hated and play through the whole 30 hour deal!"

Nintendo especially can attest to how they had a deal with Blockbuster Video where a few of their games were released exclusively to Blockbuster to rent out two weeks before they were released to other retailers to sell. I used to have numbers for this but in every case the games that did this ended up not selling so hot.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

I don't know why this guy keeps getting press whenever he makes a comment, he's not the freakin' Warren Buffet of video games or anything.

If he knew anything about the industry he'd know that most of a game's sales are done in the first month or so after release then tail off massively after that, after 2 years it would have most likely been heavily discounted to a point where the publisher doesn't make much money off that unit sale anyway so you might as well get a cut of some subscription fee.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So I saw that the Pulse headsets were added in the 1.60 update. Has there been any mention of the Turtle Beach PX4s? The fact that they are marketed as COMPLETELY WIRELESS EXPERIENCE is starting to annoy me every time I have to plug the chat cable in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So I saw that the Pulse headsets were added in the 1.60 update. Has there been any mention of the Turtle Beach PX4s? The fact that they are marketed as COMPLETELY WIRELESS EXPERIENCE is starting to annoy me every time I have to plug the chat cable in.

The update targeted only Sony's own headsets because they have special OS integration.

They don't actually use Bluetooth. Bluetooth is the problem right now. Apparently Sony has had trouble getting older Bluetooth devices to work with the PS4.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

The update targeted only Sony's own headsets because they have special OS integration.

They don't actually use Bluetooth. Bluetooth is the problem right now. Apparently Sony has had trouble getting older Bluetooth devices to work with the PS4.
Is this a problem with the Bluetooth protocol that I didn't know about? I expected the newer ones to be backwards compatible with older devices basically forever.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Tangentially thread-related at best, but do we know when the "new" PSP Vita will hit the states?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is this a problem with the Bluetooth protocol that I didn't know about? I expected the newer ones to be backwards compatible with older devices basically forever.

I feel like the "problem" was too many people buying a $20 bluetooth piece for their PS3 gaming instead of a Sony or Turtle Beach headset.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

univbee posted:

You're fine for the games themselves, but DVD's and Blu-ray will be a problem; the US is NTSC Region 1 for DVD and Region A for Blu-ray, while Sweden is, if memory serves, DVD PAL Region 2 and Blu-ray Region B.

MrLonghair posted:

It's an intelligent switching power supply so it's plug and play like PS2 and onwards. Being a safety-conscious man I'd say to make friends with somebody in the states in case you need an RMA in the near future of that US PS4.

At least you could get some games and peripherals. The US camera comes with the stand we have to pay extra for, if you can find it. If you can find the pads. If you can find the console at all.

Kosh Naranek posted:

Your questions seems to already have been answered, but I'll just throw in a few of my experiences.

I bought the PS4 from Amazon and had it shipped to Norway....

I personally don't really care about the whole blu ray / dvd playing thing. Still dumb that there are arbitrary restrictions. Then again, I have put a bluray into my PS3 once when we rented a few movies years upon years ago. Playing media from a USB stick or whatever should work just fine right? Or do they have more arbitrary bullshit restrictions on there? Since otherwise it is easily worth it and I have plenty of relatives in the US. But yeah, like Kosh Naranek said, I can just buy it from Amazon US or something (but I'm only there for a week so shipping times might screw me over if it is like Sweden) and have it shipped to my relative's house.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

No idea, that's just what was said around launch.

Torabi posted:

I personally don't really care about the whole blu ray / dvd playing thing. Still dumb that there are arbitrary restrictions. Then again, I have put a bluray into my PS3 once when we rented a few movies years upon years ago. Playing media from a USB stick or whatever should work just fine right? Or do they have more arbitrary bullshit restrictions on there? Since otherwise it is easily worth it and I have plenty of relatives in the US. But yeah, like Kosh Naranek said, I can just buy it from Amazon US or something (but I'm only there for a week so shipping times might screw me over if it is like Sweden) and have it shipped to my relative's house.

No. The PS4 is not a media player.

It might come later.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Torabi posted:

The PS4 currently won't play media from a USB stick or local network location at all, so no, this won't work, but may be coming in a future patch.

The region codes thing is because movie studios are insane and try to make every country its own little world of distribution and releases. It's at least eased up a bit with Blu-ray; there are less region codes and a surprisingly large number of discs that are Region-free or at least A/B cross-compatible.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Wait what, the PS4 can't play stuff from a memory stick? Isn't this like.. the most basic feature of all. How the gently caress is that not in? Not that it matters all that much either, if I watch a movie or whatever from a usb I just plug it into my fancy smart tv. (it's not that smart)
Still, I'm surprised it can't.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Rinkles posted:

Don't remember how it is on the console, but on the web store go to the "PlayStation plus" section and then "free games" and voila you get a list of everything available for free (avatars and the other stuff have their own section).

Even easier, just click this: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/free-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSFREEGAMES

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Torabi posted:

Wait what, the PS4 can't play stuff from a memory stick? Isn't this like.. the most basic feature of all. How the gently caress is that not in? Not that it matters all that much either, if I watch a movie or whatever from a usb I just plug it into my fancy smart tv. (it's not that smart)
Still, I'm surprised it can't.

You're not the only one. Surprisingly, Sony's response seems to be that they were surprised it was such a big deal. Hopefully they're being honest and will add DLNA and USB playback functionality at some point.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

So uhh, the new Strider game is coming out in two weeks. :stare:

That sure came out of the left field. And with Killer Instinct apparently being legitimately good maybe this game won't be so bad either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

JordanKai posted:

So uhh, the new Strider game is coming out in two weeks. :stare:

That sure came out of the left field. And with Killer Instinct apparently being legitimately good maybe this game won't be so bad either!

Jeff Gerstmann seemed to like it on a recent Bombcast, though I think he just played a preview. I think Double Helix had some Capcom supervision for this, too.

• Locked thread