Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Please excise the line, "It's a kind of magic", and replace it with another song title from the new soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

If we're going full B-Movie, we might as well have Ron Perlman be the Kurgan.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Keep Clancy Brown as the Kurgan. Just cos he's immortal doesn't mean he can't also look old.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Please excise the line, "It's a kind of magic", and replace it with another song title from the new soundtrack.

It's a lot like a... Thrift Shop

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

pkfan2004 posted:

If we're going full B-Movie, we might as well have Ron Perlman be the Kurgan.

:stare: ... I have never wanted a Highlander reboot more than I do right now.

Fatkraken posted:

Keep Clancy Brown as the Kurgan. Just cos he's immortal doesn't mean he can't also look old.

An immortal could be any age, seeing as they age normally until their first "death", at which point their aging is frozen. It's very likely that more immortals are born than ever receive the Quickening, since violent death isn't terribly common.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

greatn posted:

He's literally Scottish and does a good American accent.

He's from Seattle and has probably never stepped foot in Scotland.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Highlander owns and Lambert was having sexual relations with Diane Lane at her peak.

Highlander will never be remade because no studio will fund a 200 million dollar PG-13 remake of it and no studio wants to make mid-range R rated action films. It isn't happening, ever. It's a shame too because that concept is pretty bitching.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

James Woods Fan posted:

Highlander owns and Lambert was having sexual relations with Diane Lane at her peak.

When isn't Diane Lane at her peak, really?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Flatscan posted:

He's from Seattle and has probably never stepped foot in Scotland.

Hmm... We'll have to agree to disagree.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

James Woods Fan posted:

Highlander will never be remade because no studio will fund a 200 million dollar PG-13 remake of it and no studio wants to make mid-range R rated action films. It isn't happening, ever. It's a shame too because that concept is pretty bitching.

Highlander wouldn't need to be R-rated though, it mostly got that for the sex; and sex in movies is out of style anyway.

And I know I keep yammering on about being able to do Highlander on a low budget, but you raise a good point: Hollywood isn't very interested in anything but tentpoles. Nobody wants just a piece of the pie, they want the whole drat thing or they don't want any at all. Elysium underperformed because instead of letting Neil Blomkamp make another low-key sci-fi movie, and letting it turn a tidy little profit, the studios threw money at him trying to wring out a blockbuster.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

DStecks posted:

Highlander wouldn't need to be R-rated though, it mostly got that for the sex; and sex in movies is out of style anyway.

And I know I keep yammering on about being able to do Highlander on a low budget, but you raise a good point: Hollywood isn't very interested in anything but tentpoles. Nobody wants just a piece of the pie, they want the whole drat thing or they don't want any at all. Elysium underperformed because instead of letting Neil Blomkamp make another low-key sci-fi movie, and letting it turn a tidy little profit, the studios threw money at him trying to wring out a blockbuster.

Poor Neil!

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

James Woods Fan posted:

Why do you think it would need a huge budget?

It could be made easily for half that or less, still be PG-13 and make a decent buck.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

greatn posted:

What about that guy from Angel who's married to Allison Hannigan. He's literally Scottish and does a good American accent. Not really a leading man though. Mentor character or villain? Sure thing.

Comedy option: Jason Segal

Note: I have never seen Highlander.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

morestuff posted:

Poor Neil!

Not trying to imply that he didn't want the money, I'm just saying that he wasn't going to give the studio a blockbuster, and giving him more money wasn't going to make Elysium into a blockbuster.

If anything, we're benefiting quite a bit from studios being loose with their money. 20 years ago, Pacific Rim would have been made with half the budget and half the creative control; so instead of getting one decent movie, we'd probably have a pretty crappy movie followed by 4 lovely direct-to-video sequels. Every drat nerd property is getting a big-budget adaptation because Hollywood's convinced that one of these times the lightning will strike twice. As far as our interests are concerned, this is a golden age of cinema that will probably never be repeated.

It's just gonna suck for the studios when they realize that betting the farm on every horse in the race just isn't sustainable.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
A Highlander movie doesn't seem like something that needs 200 million thrown at it, not even 100 million.
Unless you're going to try redo Highlander 2.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

A Drumline sequel will be the next VH1 original movie. Nick Cannon to produce and star - http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/drumline-sequel-nick-cannon-vh1/

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

A Drumline sequel will be the next VH1 original movie. Nick Cannon to produce and star - http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/drumline-sequel-nick-cannon-vh1/

I know I have seen the first Drumline, hell, I probably watched it last week on TV, but for the life of me I can't remember how it ends.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
He drums

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

And then drops his drumstick like a microphone. You forgot the most important part.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Doesn't that version just change the planet Zeist stuff to "the past"? Which still doesn't address the fact that the movie has Ramirez and Connor knowing each other before the events of the first movie. Also how Ramirez just comes back to life because whatevs and then dies again by using magic powers to stop a fan.

It doesn't even do that. You can summize that it's supposed to be the past, except for the things that contradict it being in the past. The Zeist scenes just take place in an undefined void that makes even less sense than another planet.

Choco1980 posted:

Oh, it's priceless. The "Renegade Edit" does all these totally lazy things, like instead of having the line:
"People of the planet Zeist, I call on you!"
it then goes into nonsense territory of:
"People of the planet-" (Audio muted while actor's mouth still moves) "I call on you!"

Everyone needs to see this version of the film for its slapdash effort.

Yeah, it doesn't make Highlander 2 better, it just makes it differently bad.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I just read a summary of Highlander II. I've seen some bad sequel decisions over the years but that takes the cake.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The music video for Princes Of The Universe is pretty much all you need to watch if you need a Highlander fix

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
I would argue that you need a Queen soundtrack for it to be a proper Highlander movie; but, well, The Source

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Basically every single sequel to the original Highlander is a hilarious trainwreck. They're almost ingeniously awful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They all have something just completely crazy about them in some way, like how 4 had a trailer that basically was for a different movie than what we got. It was also the movie where Lambert didn't want anything else to do with the series so they kill him off and replace him with the TV show except there was a good reason why he was just the star of a syndicated TV show and not a movie actor.

Casimir Radon posted:

I just read a summary of Highlander II. I've seen some bad sequel decisions over the years but that takes the cake.

The movie is seriously just straight up bizarre. Like how Connor's girlfriend from 1 dies in a car accident and then he becomes a scientist and developes a replacement for Earth's depleted ozone layer but it makes things permanently night. Then you have Lambert running around in old man makeup for a while until Katana sends some guys to Earth and then he becomes young again.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only time I ever saw the first Drumline was at my senior prom after-prom thing. They got a charter bus to take us down to Six Flags the next day, which was an overnight trip. So we all piled into the bus, and some genius decided "who cares about sleep, let's put on a movie." The movie they chose was Drumline. So I'm trying to sleep, and every ten loving minutes is some rear end in a top hat drumming. I hate that movie and everyone involved because of this.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Isn't Nick Cannon just coming off a few failed tv shows?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

If you mean a current pretty successful hosting career, yes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

If I were to remake Highlander II (and I fully expect to, some day) I would base it on the myth of the Wandering Jew; The back story of the first film would be that each of the immortals would be one of the 12 disciples, each having to destroy the others to devoid the New World of sin and become closer to divinity, each having lost their memory due to their complicity in the death of Christ. McCloud is Paul, Ramirez is Judas appeasing his sin, and The Kurgen is Pilate, now the antichrist, accidentally touched by divinity and not meant to be amongst the immortals but touched by Jesus's blood. That's the meaning revealed from the first film.

The Quickening was the second coming of Christ. He who achieves enlightenment through eliminating sin becomes divine. If the Antichrist had won he would have called fourth Armageddon. Who knows, maybe for sequel's sake McCloud was Pilate and was the Antichrist, then in the sequel would have to (sword) battle the four horsemen, then sacrifice himself to redeem himself to Christ.

Is this crazier than the current Highlander II? Maybe. Probably definitely. But aliens vs historical and mythical religious themes? I think the latter speaks closer to what the first film is trying for in terms of it's mythos, tone, and theme.

I am pretty sure it's the most brilliant thing thing I've ever come up with.

Someone please tell me if this is madness or genius? I've been sitting on it since I was 12 and disappointed by Highlander II, the show, and the sequels. I really think it's the only way to logically extend the Highlander mythos without betraying the original film's themes.

Cursed disciples of Christ are a way more interesting place to take it than aliens as far as I'm concerned.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 6, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Cursed disciples of Christ are a way more interesting place to take it than aliens as far as I'm concerned.

It also explains the whole "hallowed ground". They can't make a move on religious grounds for fear evoking God's wrath in some way or trying to gain favor with God.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

feedmyleg posted:

If I were to remake Highlander II (and I fully expect to, some day) I would base it on the Wandering Jew myth; Each of the immortals would be one of the 12 disciples, each having to destroy the others to devoid the New World of sin and become closer to divinity, each having lost their memory due to their complicity in the death of Christ. McCloud is Paul, Ramirez is Judas appeasing his sin, and The Kurgen is Pilate, now the antichrist, accidentally touched by divinity and not meant to be amongst the immortals but touched by Jesus's blood.

Is this crazier than the current Highlander II? Maybe. But aliens vs historical and mythical religious themes? I think the latter speaks closer to what the first film is trying for.

I am pretty sure it's the most brilliant thing thing I've ever come up with.

Someone please tell me if this is madness or genius? I've been sitting on it since I was 12 and disappointed by Highlander II, the show, and the sequels. I really think it's the only way to logically extend the Highlander mythos without betraying the original film's themes.

That... sounds like a pretty awesome idea, actually.

Young Freud posted:

It also explains the whole "hallowed ground". They can't make a move on religious grounds for fear evoking God's wrath in some way or trying to gain favor with God.

:allears: Now I'm hoping more than ever that Noah turns out to be good and succeeds at making a profit so we can see this movie get made.

Strangely enough, though, your idea (especially with the comparison to the original Highlander II) rather reminds me of this one crazy short story I remember reading years and years ago (from a young adult sci-fi anthology that I can't remember the name of) about vampire hunters where it's gradually revealed that the main character is an immortal Judas and that Jesus, his disciples and the vampires were all in fact members of warring alien civilizations who came to Earth to conquer/defend the planet, respectively. Oh, and the reason Judas betrayed Jesus to the Romans was because the former felt it was his duty to stop the latter from jeopardizing the mission after he went native and started doing the whole messiah routine (though the aliens do have tech that can easily reconstitute people from their genetic material and whatever, so he's not all that torn up about it).

Spoilered all the crazy stuff just to be safe.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Young Freud posted:

Yes! I'm pretty drat sure that's what my initial thoughts on this were based on after watching the first film for the first time and trying to make sense of the mythos.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Doctor Bishop posted:

:allears: Now I'm hoping more than ever that Noah turns out to be good and succeeds at making a profit so we can see this movie get made.

Strangely enough, though, your idea (especially with the comparison to the original Highlander II) rather reminds me of this one crazy short story I remember reading years and years ago (from a young adult sci-fi anthology that I can't remember the name of) about vampire hunters where it's gradually revealed that the main character is an immortal Judas and that Jesus, his disciples and the vampires were all in fact members of warring alien civilizations who came to Earth to conquer/defend the planet, respectively. Oh, and the reason Judas betrayed Jesus to the Romans was because the former felt it was his duty to stop the latter from jeopardizing the mission after he went native and started doing the whole messiah routine (though the aliens do have tech that can easily reconstitute people from their genetic material and whatever, so he's not all that torn up about it).

While the rest doesn't fit, Jesus being an alien reminded me of John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Doctor Bishop posted:

That sounds like half of Christopher Pike's (the author) young-adult horror/thriller novels. Those always involved aliens pretending to be Egyptian gods, or vampires being Hindu demons, and poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Slasherfan posted:

A Highlander movie doesn't seem like something that needs 200 million thrown at it, not even 100 million.
Unless you're going to try redo Highlander 2.
I think the idea is that Hollywood doesn't see it like that, only being able to understand either really cheap movies which basically can't fail (found-footage horror movies), or huge tentpole movies which can potentially make a huge amount of money/movie. Basically, Hollywood would rather have one movie that aims for $400 million domestic on a $200 million budget, than two movies that aim for $200 million domestic on a $100 million budget, or four movies that aim for $100 million domestic on a $50 million budget. Possibly because more movies means competing with yourself.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 6, 2014

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Is there any particular reason that a 100m movie couldn't make just as much as a 200m movie? There surely has to be come kind of diminishing return on budget size vs. quality/return value. Obviously if a studio thinks something is a sure hit, it will get more money for production, but it seems like they should be tempering that sort of logic and trying to find some sort of sweet spot. The Lone Ranger had no reason to cost as much as it did, and it didn't do so well domestically despite being a good movie. Had they gone with a less insane director and kept the budget way lower, the loving thing could have easily been a domestic success.

I'm not in the business obviously, so this is a sincerely ignorant question, it just doesn't seem to follow that bigger budget = bigger returns (most of the time).

It seems like a good movie could be made on the cheap and if you used the money efficiently you could get the similar results as a mega-budget movie for a lot of the stuff that's come out in the last few years.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's Hollywood financing. Foreign investors don't want the small budget movies they want the tent poles. You never gamble with your own money. The studios actually went more out of pocket on Sideways's $16 million budget than they did on Tomb Raider's $100 million.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Anonymous Zebra posted:

That sounds like half of Christopher Pike's (the author) young-adult horror/thriller novels. Those always involved aliens pretending to be Egyptian gods, or vampires being Hindu demons, and poo poo.

How horrific is the poo poo?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Christopher Pike books were strange as hell, they'd always play out straight only to have some strange other worldy reveal at the end.
I remember reading one book about a girl who recorded the news off TV or something like that, when she re watched the tape it would show a future death or something that she would prevent. The end of the book revealed that she was a robot from the future.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

feedmyleg posted:

Yes, because western media needs more Christianity jammed into it for absolutely no reason.

I know that idea is your baby, dude, but I can't help rolling my eyes endlessly after reading it.

• Locked thread