Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I gotta say, I don't think Sochi would getting this much flak if it wasn't for the fact that this whole thing cost 50 Billion dollars. If this whole thing cost 5 Billion I think we would be a little more lenient. Putin has literally become a supervillain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HarlanHell posted:

The Olympics just need a total overhaul. The current system, and the IOC were practically tailor made for mass corruption. The whole process is one giant cesspit, from the way they choose the host city to the way events are judged. It will never happen, but setting up permanent venues for both the summer, and winter Olympics would go a long way toward fixing many of the current issues.

At very least there needs to be a hard cap of how much construction they will allow, frankly the city that gets it should have 90% of what they need already there including dorms. It is going to be abusive any time a whole new complex of buildings needs to be built, including infrastructure. It is going to exclude most developing nations, but it is that or damage their actual qualify of life to pay for it.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Ardennes posted:

At very least there needs to be a hard cap of how much construction they will allow, frankly the city that gets it should have 90% of what they need already there including dorms. It is going to be abusive any time a whole new complex of buildings needs to be built, including infrastructure. It is going to exclude most developing nations, but it is that or damage their actual qualify of life to pay for it.

You don't really get the spirit of the Olympics, do you? It's all about lining the pockets of all those involved in the decision making process, the development, and the construction.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

I gotta say, I don't think Sochi would getting this much flak if it wasn't for the fact that this whole thing cost 50 Billion dollars. If this whole thing cost 5 Billion I think we would be a little more lenient. Putin has literally become a supervillain.

It's also a masterpiece of black comedy from the hilarious hotel rooms to all the failed russian PR spin attempts.

If anything it showcases how the Olympics really brings out the unique aspects of each country, which in Russia's case is awe inspiring graft and also a desperate need to seem strong on the world stage.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

aw man, that's one less russian failure we americans get to see!

(even though i already saw it :smug: )

i can't wait to see this interview with obama about the olympics

I'm guessing NBC will probably show the failure.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

I'm guessing NBC will probably show the failure.
we can only hope :allears:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

etalian posted:

It's also a masterpiece of black comedy from the hilarious hotel rooms to all the failed russian PR spin attempts.

If anything it showcases how the Olympics really brings out the unique aspects of each country, which in Russia's case is awe inspiring graft and also a desperate need to seem strong on the world stage.

I just find myself saying, "I expected this from North Korea, but not you Russia"

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
Am I the only one who has noticed that the Sochi Olympics have turned into one big episode of Arrested Development for Putin?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

My local Fox affiliate just bashed the Russians for loving up the hotels complete with pictures of the mud roads, pre-trashed rooms and team shitters. They closed for with "let's hope they get the opening ceremony right."

I can't wait for the evening news.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

CaptainHollywood posted:

They're also charging luxury amounts for these crappy Winchester Mansion hotels after the corrupt builders embezzled so much of the money that was supposed to make better accommodations for the tourists/guests/teams.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lake Jucas posted:

Am I the only one who has noticed that the Sochi Olympics have turned into one big episode of Arrested Development for Putin?

Pick any random picture of him and overlay "I've made a huge mistake." It works for all of them.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Lake Jucas posted:

Not seeing the parallel here. The Sochi Olympics are still on TV and they're actually entertaining.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

I just find myself saying, "I expected this from North Korea, but not you Russia"

I also makes me think of the Bush administration and all the horribly forced photo-ops desperately selling the image of a strong powerful country to the rest of the world.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

7thBatallion posted:

My local Fox affiliate just bashed the Russians for loving up the hotels complete with pictures of the mud roads, pre-trashed rooms and team shitters. They closed for with "let's hope they get the opening ceremony right."

I can't wait for the evening news.
oh my god hahahah

i wish my local NBC affiliate had done this

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

You made Mother Russia proud.

This belongs in the OP.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Philthy posted:

I saw two black dudes total while watching all those countries march out. One from France I think, and one from USA. It's really loving weird because white people can't do poo poo when it comes to sports and competitions and poo poo.

A white american woman tearfully tells the camera that the local ski slopes were her daycare and you wonder why no black people share that experience

Here let me solve the mystery:

"1 Day Lift ticket: $70"

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

etalian posted:

I also makes me think of the Bush administration and all the horribly forced photo-ops desperately selling the image of a strong powerful country to the rest of the world.

To be fair most of those were a result of 9/11.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

The only thing missing is something to decorate the wall behind them.
Ornamentation of sorts.
Maybe four* rings?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Agrajag posted:

To be fair most of those were a result of 9/11.

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that February day?
Were you in the yard with your wife and children
Or working on some tarp in L.A.?
Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smoke
Risin' against that blue sky?
Did you shout out in anger, in fear for your neighbor
Or did you just sit down and cry?

Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones
And pray for the ones who don't know?
Did you rejoice for the dogs who walked from the rubble
And sob for the ones left below?
Did you burst out with pride for the four and a half Olympic rings
And the heroes who died just doin' what they do?
Did you look up to Comrade Putin for some kind of answer
And think 'God Bless Mother Russia?'

:ussr:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lake Jucas posted:

"Is always money in Olympic Stadium, Mikhail."

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

Cthulu Carl posted:

"Is always money in Olympic Stadium, Mikhail."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

the russian alphabet is so loving weird

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

it's based on the greek alphabet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

etalian posted:

it's based on the greek alphabet.
then the greek alphabet is loving weird too!

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
our great russian innovations include: corn machine, hedgehog, water, alphabet

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I have a strange urge to play Joust.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I had no idea this was a thing - so good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Ahn

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

It's not hard to learn. It's a lot easier than, say, Arabic script or the Japanese phonetic alphabet.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 8, 2014

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

oh my god hahahah

i wish my local NBC affiliate had done this

Fox affiliates are the loving best.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

madeupfred posted:

also great idea to have dashcam in every car so you can see brave Slav killing boar with toilet seat.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

madeupfred posted:

Corn mowing machine.

Typical American. :rolleyes:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

i can't wait to see that snowflake fail :allears:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Balloon Fight.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ahahahahahaha oh my god, it's beautiful

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
NBC showing the real footage :allears:

"oh,...thats too bad"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I feel like I already saw this crap. Thanks for spoiling it, rest of the world.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09vVF-Hvykg

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

The whole alphabet sequence was really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

OMG IT'A PUTIN!!!

The lady next to him seems high.

• Locked thread