Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Has Bruce Irvin been average? I didn't think the guy was even a starter yet.

He missed the first 4 games for failing the substance abuse policy. He also converted to LB from DT as well. He's started most of the games since then but he's definitely the worst of our LBs compared to KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner. Hell Malcolm Smith looks better than him sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

A Pale Horse posted:

I think he's mostly a situational player but looking at his stats he hasn't been great. He also missed four games this year for whatever reason.

Irvin was suspended for violating the substance abuse policy (imagine that).

How does Clinton-Dix compare to Mark Barron? I remember Barron being considering a mid-to-late 1st until a week or so before the draft, where he inexplicably rose to a Top 15 pick and was selected like 7th overall.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

seiferguy posted:

He missed the first 4 games for failing the substance abuse policy. He also converted to LB from DT as well. He's started most of the games since then but he's definitely the worst of our LBs compared to KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner. Hell Malcolm Smith looks better than him sometimes.

I'm wondering if they'll put him back at LE more permanently once they move on from Clemons. Irvin does reasonably well at OLB, his speed is huge there, but it'd be nice to see him rushing the passer more consistently.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

seiferguy posted:

Wasn't he drafted to be a situational pass-rusher anyways?

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah but Dallas and Houston hate each other pretty much, so that's what's wrong with it.

I don't hate the Texans. Texans fans hate Cowboys fans just like everyone else on the internet due to the 90's but I'm not really reciprocating that. Although I did find the commercials that aired before the Texans debuted to be pretty nerdy. "Get ready Texas, real hard nosed Texas football is coming to the NFL!"

I just want to cheer for something new and exciting. 3 8-8 season in a row and I need to find some sort of Ashley Madison hookup for football teams to make me feel young and alive again.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheChirurgeon posted:

Wasn't he drafted to be a situational pass-rusher anyways?

Yeah. He was actually quite good at that and lead all rookies in sacks his first year. They could move him back into the DL rotation they have going, then put Malcolm Smith as a full time linebacker since he's proven to be competent at the job. I wouldn't be surprised if they do that then see them draft a toolsy (is this used in NFL draft terminology?) linebacker in the later rounds who could be groomed and serve as a backup in the meantime.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 7, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Wait, was the Superbowl MVP not a starter?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

defiantgiant posted:

You can find safeties later, generally, and a lot of high-drafted safeties don't end up being worth the pick.

Is this true? I feel like it's been quite the opposite for the past decade at least. Some of the best safeties that come to mind were all taken within the first two rounds:
Earl, Ward, Byrd, Reggie Nelson, and the list goes on. It's a major reason why I'm tired of these project safeties in Dallas.

Ussr posted:

I don't hate the Texans. Texans fans hate Cowboys fans just like everyone else on the internet due to the 90's but I'm not really reciprocating that. Although I did find the commercials that aired before the Texans debuted to be pretty nerdy. "Get ready Texas, real hard nosed Texas football is coming to the NFL!"

I just want to cheer for something new and exciting. 3 8-8 season in a row and I need to find some sort of Ashley Madison hookup for football teams to make me feel young and alive again.

I never understood why, but Houstonians have a real animosity against Dallas - even outside of sports.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Wait, was the Superbowl MVP not a starter?

Seattle cycles their defense a lot, but Smith wasn't the starter for the majority of the season. He got a lot more starting time when KJ Wright went out with an injury, and everyone found out how good he was.

He suffers from a rare condition (achalasia) that forces him to eat food a lot slower, which is probably what made him fall so far in the draft.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Schwack posted:

If Bradley follows in Carroll's footsteps, expect them to draft a number of seemingly random DBs in late rounds. The only high pick Carroll ever spent on a DB was Earl Thomas, and Bradley should know better than anyone that Thomas essentially makes the entire scheme work. Maybe the Jaguars will be looking for a safety with huge range this year?

All of this is assuming Bradley tries to replicate what he saw in Seattle, which seems reasonable. Seahawks south sounds cool.

Based on the team so far, Bradley is using the same D philosophy as Seattle. We've had a huge amount of roster turnover and at this point, only Cyprien seems guaranteed a job in the secondary. His play really improved as the year went on and he settled into his role. Evans and Gratz will likely be playing safety and cb so those spots won't likely see high round selections. Ball, McCray and Blackmon will probably be with the team next year but my expectations are very low. I really expect those picks we got for Monroe to shore up the LBs and secondary

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

seiferguy posted:

Seattle cycles their defense a lot, but Smith wasn't the starter for the majority of the season. He got a lot more starting time when KJ Wright went out with an injury, and everyone found out how good he was.

He suffers from a rare condition (achalasia) that forces him to eat food a lot slower, which is probably what made him fall so far in the draft.

Oh, thats awesome. My lady is a speech path who deals with tons of aphasia clients. Pretty neat that he has thrived despite a condition that could really throw off his nutrition schedule.

E: It's not awesome. Its unfortunate that he suffers from that condition but it is cool that he reached the mountain top despite it.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 7, 2014

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Yeah. He was actually quite good at that and lead all rookies in sacks his first year. They could move him back into the DL rotation they have going, then put Malcolm Smith as a full time linebacker since he's proven to be competent at the job. I wouldn't be surprised if they do that then see them draft a toolsy (is this used in NFL draft terminology?) linebacker in the later rounds who could be groomed and serve as a backup in the meantime.

He has 10 sacks in two seasons, just to flesh out the whole "lead rookie pass rushers in sacks!!"

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Oh, thats awesome. My lady is a speech path who deals with tons of aphasia clients. Pretty neat that he has thrived despite a condition that could really throw off his nutrition schedule.

E: It's not awesome. Its unfortunate that he suffers from that condition but it is cool that he reached the mountain top despite it.

Achalasia and aphasia aren't the same :)

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

He has 10 sacks in two seasons, just to flesh out the whole "lead rookie pass rushers in sacks!!"

He made a position switch away from pass rushing end this year. In his rookie year he did lead all rookies in sacks iirc, he was moved because of a bit of a logjam at end. I'm guessing this year he only had a handful of snaps where he played outside the end.

Edit: 8 sacks as a rookie situational guy and 2 in 14 games rarely attacking. He'll be alright even if they keep him at OLB.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 7, 2014

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

AAA DOLFAN posted:

That's a dumb strawman. In his first year he did lead all rookies with 8 sacks in limited sacks (there were three tied with 6 for 2nd place). This year he got moved to LB (as Schwack said, probably because of the DE logjam) and wasn't used solely as a pass-rusher going for sacks like he was in his rookie season, which is why he only logged 2 sacks this year.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

John Brown posted:

I never understood why, but Houstonians have a real animosity against Dallas - even outside of sports.

I can only guess since this hatred of all things Dallas has been in Houston since well before I was born, but I think it started with Dallas being "America's Team" and fans of the Cowboys (A lot of them probably living in Houston) being boisterous about the Cowboys success while down talking the Oilers and how little of success they have in the Superbowl era. It probably grew from that to just utter hatred of the entire city of Dallas, but it's certainly a thing that has been around since I can remember. Sundays in the 80's for me was spent boo'ing the Cowboys if the Oilers weren't on. The Mavericks and Rangers not as much so, it was mostly the Cowboys (but I grew up in a football household).

EDIT: DraftBreakdown had some cut-ups of Bridgewater running similar plays to what Bill O'Brien has run with other QB's (Brady, Hackenburg, etc). It's an interesting piece that does focus on the size issue, where O'Brien likes the bigger more statuesque QB's. Right now, I still think the Texans would do best in drafting Teddy Bridgewater #1 overall, but there are loads of local fans who don't want any part of him due to size, or level of competition reasons.

b0ng fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 7, 2014

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

defiantgiant posted:

Apparently he lit up the Senior Bowl. He can play single-high safety, but he can also drop down to cover slot receivers. The only knock on him that I'm aware of is that his measurables aren't overwhelming (5'10" 192, 4.50). I'm really hoping he's around when the Bears pick in round 2.

I think they need to address safety in free agency, but I don't want Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in the first. I think they need to go D-Line in the first round. I'd love Ward. He seems like a solid pick.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

A lot of people on the Bengals forum seem to think they're going to target a QB in rounds 3-4 to push Dalton.

I'm kind of torn on whether I'd want to see that, if you want to replace Andy that's one thing, but you can still find starters at other areas in those rounds with a good selection.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Why draft a new QB when you could sign Josh "85.1 QBR" McCown. :getin:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

seiferguy posted:

That's a dumb strawman. In his first year he did lead all rookies with 8 sacks in limited sacks (there were three tied with 6 for 2nd place). This year he got moved to LB (as Schwack said, probably because of the DE logjam) and wasn't used solely as a pass-rusher going for sacks like he was in his rookie season, which is why he only logged 2 sacks this year.

That's not a straw man, first off.

You called him a situational pass rusher. That's it. I posted the sack stats because that's what you brought up. There's certainly value outside of sacks (one of the few pff things I absolutely stand by are their notes about qb disruptions, etc)

Edit I posted his actual statistics for those who want to know more than "most sacks as a rookie amongst other rookies" which is very good in itself but doesn't really paint a picture whatsoever.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 7, 2014

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Does anybody have concrete (as can be for this time of year) info on the top guard market? The research I've done is inconclusive and varies wildly. From what I gather it looks like there is the big 4 which could all be day 1 starters and then a noticeable drop in quality. I was initially hoping Seattle would be able to grab OG Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State at the end of the second. However depending on the source that ranges from "plausible" to "must draft with Seattle's 1st pick"

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Here's an article laying out the potential compensatory picks. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/red_zone/2014-NFL-compensatory-pick-projections.html

Baltimore should make out pretty well.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think a 5th is the highest comp one can receive for a ten year vet and considering Reed's limited playing time with the team that signed him I doubt he warrants that high a pick.

This draft is going to be incredibly infuriating as the Steelers will have a great prospect the Ravens want fall to them in every round.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

EmbryoSteve posted:

Really looking forward to the Seahawks drafting some crazy reach in the first that turns out to be average and someone in the 6th round who turns out to be awesome.

The Raiders are great at this so hopefully they'll be winning Super Bowls soon.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

I don't think length of service has anything to do with it. The average annual value on his new contract ($5mil) is the primary deciding factor, or at least that's the prevailing theory.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I really wanna like Bortles cause he's huge, but is he really worth a number one pick?

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

HMS Beagle posted:

Here's an article laying out the potential compensatory picks. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/red_zone/2014-NFL-compensatory-pick-projections.html

Two fourths and two fifths, drat.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

PrinceRandom posted:

I really wanna like Bortles cause he's huge, but is he really worth a number one pick?

Man we won't know that for another two years

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

quote:

5 – Baltimore – Ed Reed

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

HMS Beagle posted:

The Packers getting a 3rd for Greg Jennings is a steal. Also Dallas has like 5 picks in the 7th round; considering our history with 7th round picks I'm a little excited (as excited as one can possibly be about 7th round picks).

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Arschlochkind posted:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

We still get one for Quin, so I'm cool with it. :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Disillusionist posted:

The Packers getting a 3rd for Greg Jennings is a steal. Also Dallas has like 5 picks in the 7th round; considering our history with 7th round picks I'm a little excited (as excited as one can possibly be about 7th round picks).

Packers getting a 6 for erik walden is highway robbery

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?

PrinceRandom posted:

He doesn't have a successful QB name if that's what you're asking.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

Packers getting a 6 for erik walden is highway robbery

Thanks, Indiana.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

HMS Beagle posted:

Raiders not getting poo poo for Phillip Wheeler who signed a fat deal with the Dolphins, started 16 games and got 118 tackles is kind of dumb.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Toymachine posted:

Raiders not getting poo poo for Phillip Wheeler who signed a fat deal with the Dolphins, started 16 games and got 118 tackles is kind of dumb.

To be fair they signed a number of free agents themselves. Every free agent a team signs offsets a comp pick.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

A lot of people on the Bengals forum seem to think they're going to target a QB in rounds 3-4 to push Dalton.

I'm kind of torn on whether I'd want to see that, if you want to replace Andy that's one thing, but you can still find starters at other areas in those rounds with a good selection.

If they're actually serious about having a contingency in place for Dalton they'll take a QB in the second at the latest, and if a top QB free falls I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to the Bengals in the 1st if they are actually trying to replace Dalton, but I don't think they are. They'll definitely take a QB in the 1st 4 rounds though, and probably would even if Andy was Tom Brady, just because Josh Johnson was brought on board to fit Gruden's system.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Dion Bailey's draft stock seems to be plummeting, is there a reason for this?

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

I don't really think draft stock can free fall this early in the process, but iirc he's not supposed to run a great 40?

As for Jennings, GB will get a fourth round comp. Part of the equation is how many snaps he played in his last year with us. He missed most of 2012 with injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

smuggler posted:

I don't really think draft stock can free fall this early in the process, but iirc he's not supposed to run a great 40?

As for Jennings, GB will get a fourth round comp. Part of the equation is how many snaps he played in his last year with us. He missed most of 2012 with injuries.

Yeah, at this point the only thing that makes draft stock fall, or move at all, is off the field stuff, mainly trouble with the law, and more than standard weed/dui stuff at that.

• Locked thread