Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Y-Hat posted:

EPG wrote a great front-page article about buffet restaurants a couple of years ago.

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/grosser-than-ticks/

I went to a buffet place with my ex once. The food was disgusting and one of the tables had a very rotund man sitting at it.

The only buffets I will eat at are chinese ones, I don't know there's just something appetizing about all that MSG underneath heatlamps.

I had an ex that would insist on eating at buffets of all kinds, and yeah they were always a horror to behold. Unfortunatly, I was unemployed at the time so that was the only thing I could afford to eat that day, you better believe that I gorged myself on that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Y-Hat posted:

I hate movie commercials that put a hashtag with the movie's title on the top of the ad instead of just the movie's title. For example, About Last Night.

What are you talking about, I can't wait to see @RoboCop.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Any Geico commercial with the talking pig. Please get the gently caress out of here.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Wojtek posted:

Any Geico commercial. Please get the gently caress out of here.

Fixed that for you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This Robocop commercial is the most offensive commercial in existance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwLfhVnALOA

The reason is it was done under the guise of a drunk driving PSA. The end of the commercial says "Paid for by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."

That's right folks, your tax dollars just went to pay to advertise for a lovely remake.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
There's a joke here that you're not getting and that the NHTSA may not have got either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

computer parts posted:

There's a joke here that you're not getting and that the NHTSA may not have got either.

It's slightly funny on the whole "corporation bought out the government shill for them" angle, but let's not pretend that the commentary was anything other than accidental. I would have been all on board for a proper Robocop drunk driving PSA, but it's only a 30 second ad spot for the movie with zero subtext.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bull3964 posted:

It's slightly funny on the whole "corporation bought out the government shill for them" angle, but let's not pretend that the commentary was anything other than accidental.

Read up on who the director of the film is and think about it some more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

computer parts posted:

Read up on who the director of the film is and think about it some more.

I really doubt the director had anything at all to do with this ad spot.

Seriously, you are giving the whole thought behind this way way way too much credit. It's not some biting social commentary on our draconian drunk driving laws and how regressive the penalties are against the poor as opposed to the rich who can buy their way out of trouble.

It was a half baked cross promotion by some ad executive that completely missed the point.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Nerdfest X posted:

Fixed that for you.

Geico commercials are like a bad "one liner" comedian. Not every joke is going to work but they just keep coming and sometimes one will land.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

bull3964 posted:

I really doubt the director had anything at all to do with this ad spot.

Seriously, you are giving the whole thought behind this way way way too much credit. It's not some biting social commentary on our draconian drunk driving laws and how regressive the penalties are against the poor as opposed to the rich who can buy their way out of trouble.

It was a half baked cross promotion by some ad executive that completely missed the point.

I don't really understand what's so horribly offensive about "hey guys let's make a trailer that's branded sort of like a real-life PSA!" Yeah it's kind of dumb, but I've seen far worse attempts at movie promotion.

On an unrelated note, I'm going to be so glad when Valentine's Day comes and goes so I don't have to watch any more ads that turn gift giving into some weird competitive sport. Like this creepy bullshit (2012 version but it's almost exactly the same).

Don't give her chocolates, she'll just think she's fat am I right guys? :smuggo:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

I don't really understand what's so horribly offensive about "hey guys let's make a trailer that's branded sort of like a real-life PSA!" Yeah it's kind of dumb, but I've seen far worse attempts at movie promotion.

On an unrelated note, I'm going to be so glad when Valentine's Day comes and goes so I don't have to watch any more ads that turn gift giving into some weird competitive sport. Like this creepy bullshit (2012 version but it's almost exactly the same).

Don't give her chocolates, she'll just think she's fat am I right guys? :smuggo:

If you give her a huge teddy bear it means you have a big penis guys! Chicks love big penises!

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGJSI48gkFc

I was in this thread to post this commercial halfway through it. Ugh. Please tell me some international posters are in here.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Mahoning posted:

If you give her a huge teddy bear it means you have a big penis guys! Chicks love big penises!

They make it sound like it's supposed to be some weird surrogate man. When you're gone, just leave her a giant teddy bear and it's just like you're still there because she'll think of you!

I've seen flower and chocolate covered strawberry commercials that are doing something similar - focusing on "Everyone in the office was so impressed with the gift I got" rather than worrying about, you know, whether the recipient actually liked the gift. I also saw a loving home security commercial for Valentine's today. :psyduck:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm reasonably sure that if I'd ever bought one of those giant bears for anyone I've dated, I'd have come home to a decapitated bear with a note reading "you're next" stapled to its chest.

Frankly, I'd deserve it too, for saddling her with some giant bear. Unless the bear can be reused as a beanbag chair.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mahoning posted:

This is a real thing:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kimmalah posted:

It's because the government paid for the spot, that's the big problem. Tax dollars were used to promote a movie for MGM. If it were some sort of original creation for the PSA featuring RoboCop, that would be one thing. All they did though was show scenes from the trailer with a voiceover that ended with saying "go see RoboCop.". It just really rubs me the wrong way.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It's because the government paid for the spot, that's the big problem. Tax dollars were used to promote a movie for MGM. If it were some sort of original creation for the PSA featuring RoboCop, that would be one thing. All they did though was show scenes from the trailer with a voiceover that ended with saying "go see RoboCop.". It just really rubs me the wrong way.

It's a little of both though. Unless you think Robocop is just two hours of measuring BAC and pulling over drunk drivers.

But then I've found there's really no point in getting mad about how the government spends "your" tax dollars unless you want to die really young from stress.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cup of Hemlock posted:

I was in this thread to post this commercial halfway through it. Ugh. Please tell me some international posters are in here.

Who's that actor? I've seen him before but I can't place him.

EDIT: Holy hell is that Neal McDonough?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

DJExile posted:

The one and only.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

DJExile posted:

I like to think it's his character from Justified :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cup of Hemlock posted:

I thought this commercial was supposed to be making a joke... but the punchline never came.
I guess Cadillac is just going for "The car for assholes with just-world viewpoints." Seems that way going by the comments, at least.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
They stop by the café. :smug:

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn92OSR0P1g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Terrible. But oddly familiar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajG0OzxzLbk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ShaqDiesel fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 13, 2014

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Neal McDonough does so well playing smarmy douchebags that I couldn't find a better spokesperson for Cadillac if I tried.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

I just watched a bearded cubicle gently caress extol me on the virtues of Failure Pile in a Sadness Bowl complete with YouTube-style jump cuts to fill in the NON-EXISTENT IN A COMMERCIAL pauses normal people have when talking to a camera to tell me I've found "true love."

I've seen other (terrible) versions of this, but they keep. going.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

This one's been running twice-in-a-row on local stations for a while now. I'm all for computer literacy but oh my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32RONPZ1aU

GIA YOU'RE SO BIIIIG :suicide:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SamBishop posted:

I just watched a bearded cubicle gently caress extol me on the virtues of Failure Pile in a Sadness Bowl complete with YouTube-style jump cuts to fill in the NON-EXISTENT IN A COMMERCIAL pauses normal people have when talking to a camera to tell me I've found "true love."

I've seen other (terrible) versions of this, but they keep. going.

I'm not sure why KFC is trying to advertise the "Famous Bowl" to hip young people since they are the ones who would most likely to have listened to Patton Oswalt.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

muscles like this? posted:

I'm not sure why KFC is trying to advertise the "Famous Bowl" to hip young people since they are the ones who would most likely to have listened to Patton Oswalt.

No joke, I used to order a Sadness Bowl with a straight face, and with an equally straight face the cashier pressed the appropriate buttons. KFC should follow its employees' lead and embrace the failure.

I'm just not a big fan of KFC anymore, though. I don't like their huge push in recent years towards far more processed and unidentifiable foodstuffs; I get it from a business standpoint, they have a much larger profit margin on those, but I only ever really went there to get actual chicken parts I could say, "Yes, this was once a part of a bird" (the bowl was a minor lapse, being the only thing I could eat in my car on road trips...it's also inexplicably delicious).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BaronVonVaderham posted:

No joke, I used to order a Sadness Bowl with a straight face, and with an equally straight face the cashier pressed the appropriate buttons. KFC should follow its employees' lead and embrace the failure.

I'm just not a big fan of KFC anymore, though. I don't like their huge push in recent years towards far more processed and unidentifiable foodstuffs; I get it from a business standpoint, they have a much larger profit margin on those, but I only ever really went there to get actual chicken parts I could say, "Yes, this was once a part of a bird" (the bowl was a minor lapse, being the only thing I could eat in my car on road trips...it's also inexplicably delicious).

I haven't been in years, but I used to work down the street from a KFC, and we used to all get a car full of the Chicken Fried Steak meals every Tuesday when they were on sale. I think that was really the only time(s) I've had KFC since the turn of the century.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
The only time I've ever been to KFC was when they had those wrap things, Twisters I think they were called?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I love fast food fried chicken to the point that when I die and they ask what killed me, my friends will say "well what do you think killed him? A bear?" I will not go to KFC.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
All of the KFCs I've been to seem depressing. Like a fast food version of Circuit City.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

computer parts posted:

All of the KFCs I've been to seem depressing. Like a fast food version of Circuit City.

Yeah, that one we used to go to with work was pretty depressing, it had some awards on the wall, and a bunch of faded pictures. It was always empty though, I think it had more traffic before they raised the freeway a few years earlier, and changed the trafic pattern so you literally had to go a mile down the freeway to turn around and go back the way you came. They tore it down eventually and I think it's still an empty lot. The Taco Tico next door became a tattoo parlor.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

computer parts posted:

That's Arby's to me. There's some that have outright classic early 60s architecture and giant light up signs, but the interior seems to...also be early 60s not maintained.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Estee Lauder is using "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars in their ads.

:irony:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sash! posted:

also be early 60s not maintained.

And the food, same deal?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hold on just a second.

People still park their cars and eat INSIDE of fast food restaurants? In the year 2014?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gonz posted:

Hold on just a second.

People still park their cars and eat INSIDE of fast food restaurants? In the year 2014?

I will admit that this confuses me. It kinda makes sense for lunch during the work week, but I seriously wonder who goes out to eat at a fast food joint anymore? I went to a McDonald's for breakfast when I was moving because all my poo poo was packed up and they had taken out the play place and turned it into a "lounge." :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Iron Crowned posted:

I will admit that this confuses me. It kinda makes sense for lunch during the work week, but I seriously wonder who goes out to eat at a fast food joint anymore? I went to a McDonald's for breakfast when I was moving because all my poo poo was packed up and they had taken out the play place and turned it into a "lounge." :confused:

Anyone who ever takes a road trip will find them a godsend.