Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

Will Styles posted:

Can he use any seek cards there? Looks like every direction is a dead end.

Ah yeah, he won't be able to play any more room/corridor cards with those dead ends. I plan to add special cards like 'secret door' to the seek deck to get around this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

GI_Clutch posted:

Are you using individual images for tiles or are you using a tileset? I haven't played around with Unity, but the same thing happens in GameMaker. I made a tool a while back that can help resolve the problem by buffering individual tiles within a tileset. It basically just extends the size of the tiles in each direction. That way when D3D or whatever rips out the individual tiles, there's a buffer around the sides so that it gets filled in with that color as opposed to giving you those nasty seams. Hopefully this can help resolve your problem.

We're using one big image with all the different terrain sprites (per environment). I haven't tried the linked application, but I just tested the border-bleed technique by hand. It solves the problem on my computer and, looking back carefully at problem screenshots from our team's other computers, I'm now 99% certain that this is the universal solution.

I'm feeling very relieved right now.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 11, 2014

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
I updated the Dungeoneering alpha tonight with quick fix for the neverending-battles problem

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Corbeau posted:

We're using one big image with all the different terrain sprites (per environment). I haven't tried the linked application, but I just tested the border-bleed technique by hand. It solves the problem on my computer and, looking back carefully at problem screenshots from our team's other computers, I'm now 99% certain that this is the universal solution.

I'm feeling very relieved right now.

Awesome. If all of the tiles in the image are the same size and evenly spaced, you should be able to update it with a few seconds of effort with the app. The sad thing is that I made the thing a year and a half ago and haven't made a single game since. I think YoYo Games is happy though as it appears they gave up on the idea of building such a thing into GameMaker, stickying my thread instead. Oh well, at least it feels nice to have something I made recognized by the guys behind Lemmings/GTA.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

:catstare:

Crosspostin'

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Just wanted to say thanks real quick for the kind words earlier. I'm not too bothered about negative comments but a whole bunch of em in a row is never fun.

Goons :unsmith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hope all your dumb bugs stay in as easter eggs because they're making the game twice as awesome.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
"Huh I Guess We Don't Need These Screws" Mode Unlocked!

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Here is a gif of people shooting at a dinosaur with rocket launchers.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I've been toddling on a little isometric twin stick thingy in unity for the last few weekends. It's the first time I've really grappled into the coding side of things and I'm really enjoying it!

Anyway, It hasn't been a smooth journey. I was putting in a weapon spread rotation thing and:

I forgot to update it back into it's original position before applying the next random spread value

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

xzzy posted:

I hope all your dumb bugs stay in as easter eggs because they're making the game twice as awesome.

I think this is going to be how the game ends. Losers go in the hole. Playing in a league without shootouts? Better hope you don't get a tie!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

TrampolineTales posted:

Anyone doing anything for the Flappy Jam? The prompt seems interesting, but it doesn't really generate any ideas for me.

I have been inspired! Say hello to Dick Icarus. It's about 90% complete. The sun charges back and forth across the screen at varying heights. Totally not ripping off SMB3 or Kid Icarus at all.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Kid Dickarus.

I mean, honestly.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Mr. Belding posted:

Kid Dickarus.

I mean, honestly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flappy Eggplant, which is how most of us spent that game.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
Spoeaking of bugs, I had a slight issue with ships endlessly hyperspacing into battle over the weekend.

The guy in the middle was pretty chill about it, since I had disabled hull damage while I was working

At some point, I may have to tone down the particles a little.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Belding posted:

Kid Dickarus.

I mean, honestly.

I almost went that route, but thought it was too obvious. I figured kid backwards is dik, so just add a c... but yeah, I think I'll change it after work.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Dirty posted:

:stare: You should never say this. You can never have too many particles.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Jon93 posted:

I secretly live by this.

Sensible me says tone them down, I should be able to do more with less. Actual me says I need a few more to really sell the weapon impacts.

Sethmaster
Nov 15, 2012

Dirty posted:

I secretly live by this.

Sensible me says tone them down, I should be able to do more with less. Actual me says I need a few more to really sell the weapon impacts.

Then we are on a different wavelength. I live by the motto, if everything is impressive, then nothing is.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

It's funny to think that implementing physics used to be this unbelievably tricky endeavour, and now "how do I stop these physics from happening" is what we struggle with.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Dirty posted:

This is a kickstarter/game-selling GIF if ever there was one. Change nothing. That looks AWESOME!

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Jon93 posted:

This looks awesome. What techniques are you using for keeping space interesting. It looks like you have a very subtle nebula like thing going on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

xgalaxy posted:

This looks awesome. What techniques are you using for keeping space interesting. It looks like you have a very subtle nebula like thing going on.

I'm pretty sure a billion laser beams and fireballs is keeping things plenty interesting. :v:

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Hopefully I'm not spamming this thread up too much, but I recorded some gameplay and put it on Youtube. Not everyone wants to download an entire game just to test it out, so I figured this would be good way to show off the progress I've made. Check out the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh909VWASgYa

TrampolineTales
Oct 9, 2012

I detect the presence of scum.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Hopefully I'm not spamming this thread up too much, but I recorded some gameplay and put it on Youtube. Not everyone wants to download an entire game just to test it out, so I figured this would be good way to show off the progress I've made. Check out the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh909VWASgYa

I'd suggest making the HP/SP text different from the other text in the game just so it's easier to read at a glance. Even just making it a different color or font could make a huge difference. Other than that, looks pretty awesome!

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

I drew a sprite and made a NES rom that displays that sprite, I have no idea what I'm doing :haw:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Fishbus posted:

I've been toddling on a little isometric twin stick thingy in unity for the last few weekends. It's the first time I've really grappled into the coding side of things and I'm really enjoying it!

Anyway, It hasn't been a smooth journey. I was putting in a weapon spread rotation thing and:

I forgot to update it back into it's original position before applying the next random spread value

With a few tweaks that looks like it could be a good method for modelling a flamethrower or something similar. Just saying.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fuego Fish posted:

With a few tweaks that looks like it could be a good method for modelling a flamethrower or something similar. Just saying.

Piss gun. "Pee Shooter" if you prefer. :megaman:

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Sethmaster posted:

Then we are on a different wavelength. I live by the motto, if everything is impressive, then nothing is.
That's a fair point. Normally, things wouldn't be quite that busy!

Shalinor posted:

This is a kickstarter/game-selling GIF if ever there was one. Change nothing. That looks AWESOME!
Thanks!

xgalaxy posted:

Currently... very little! The nebula is baked into the background. I'm thinking of keeping space fairly "small" - rather than jumping from planet to planet, you're actually jumping between little hubs of wormholes, so to progress between systems you might have to defeat a small blockade. I want to add asteroids, quite possibly very large - enough to be tactically significant. Other hubs already have quite large stations. I'm hoping to add in some basic diplomacy so if you can get them on your side, and equip them with guns, they will give you supporting fire.

xzzy posted:

I'm pretty sure a billion laser beams and fireballs is keeping things plenty interesting. :v:
To be honest, when I started this project, lasers and explosions was pretty much all I had planned. Now I've got those, I have to start thinking about gameplay!

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I haven't done much work on gameplay, other than making a very basic 2D platformer with an attack, but I've managed to make a basic level editor.

It's not really anything special, but it seems to work. Can place and remove blocks and other objects. Everything is aligned to a grid and there can only be one thing at any position to make things simpler. Starting the level/leaving the editor saves a copy of the level, which is loaded when you open the editor again. It turned out that the positions of moving objects easily got messed up without that.

I guess maybe it's time I actually turn this into a game that can be played.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bit of a weird question, but what would people recommend in terms of 2D graphics: pixel art or vector-based graphics (e.g. Paper Mario, Braid)? I've been working on traditional art as a hobby for nearly a year, now, and would eventually like to transition into making a video game some day. I like the visual appeal of vector-based stuff, but it seems as though it would be a lot harder to animate than pixel art (since you have less fine control over positioning), and I have a small background in pixel art already. On the other hand, there seems be a lot of market saturation of pixel art-based games already.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Vermain posted:

Bit of a weird question, but what would people recommend in terms of 2D graphics: pixel art or vector-based graphics (e.g. Paper Mario, Braid)? I've been working on traditional art as a hobby for nearly a year, now, and would eventually like to transition into making a video game some day. I like the visual appeal of vector-based stuff, but it seems as though it would be a lot harder to animate than pixel art (since you have less fine control over positioning), and I have a small background in pixel art already. On the other hand, there seems be a lot of market saturation of pixel art-based games already.

You did kind of hit the nail on the head about the amount of other pixel art games out there. One thing I think a lot of game makers fail to do is make their game stand out from others visually some how. Right now there is a big trend on retro 2D 8bit or 16bit style games because it is nostalgic and potentially easier than more advanced graphics techniques.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Vermain posted:

I think pixel art is still viable if you focus less on the "pixel" and more on the "art." Just because your game is low res doesn't mean you can completely ignore composition, color theory, good character design, smooth animation, etc. That said, there's a definite oversaturation of games using it as a nostalgia-centric gimmick or easy way out. I've felt the backlash with my own game even though the art is well crafted.

Also, I'm not sure if it's 'easier' to animate pixel art. There are just as many hoops to jump through either way, and it probably comes out to about even time wise.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Is Braid really vector based? I always thought the graphics looked hand-painted. Usually when I hear vector based graphics I always picture that horrible flash-game aesthetic.

Also, calling pixel art saturated or overused always sound really weird to me. It's just a way of doing the art, not a specific style.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

netcat posted:

Is Braid really vector based? I always thought the graphics looked hand-painted. Usually when I hear vector based graphics I always picture that horrible flash-game aesthetic.

Yeah, I suppose Braid is different - although I'm still not really sure what to call it. Painterly? Traditional? v:shobon:v

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dirty posted:

That looks friggin' incredible, but if for some reason you'd need to tone down the particles, you might be able to get away with halving the current particle systems, and adding a few "chunkier" looking particle effects. Stuff that looks like actual bits of metal being blown off the hull, or just randomly bigger explosions.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vermain posted:

Yeah, I suppose Braid is different - although I'm still not really sure what to call it. Painterly? Traditional? v:shobon:v

It's all made from rasterized paintings if I remember correctly, though they could have been pure digital to begin with. Actual vectorized graphics are really uncommon it seems because no one makes a decent enough engine for it, not counting Flash which has probably turned people off from the idea in general.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

netcat posted:

The characters at least were created in a vector drawing program. The environments were probably hand painted.

I want someone to come out with a game where "vector art" means it's loving vector art, as in the game is calculating splines and curves in real time. None of these "we rendered it to a texture" shortcuts.

Though I suppose that would just end up looking like a flash game. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gaspy Conana posted:

Also, I'm not sure if it's 'easier' to animate pixel art. There are just as many hoops to jump through either way, and it probably comes out to about even time wise.

See: that un-inked sketch I posted about a page back. I don't do pixel-style, but instead I have to do a "paper doll" approach where the body, legs, arms, heads, mouths, and sometimes hands and feet are independent units. Unlike Braid and other games that use a similar approach, though, I animate them traditionally and very rarely do tweening on the joint; most of my units of animation have their own individual drawings for each unique position.

Personally I find tweened animations to be really creepy if they're done well, and really cheap and gross if they're done poorly.