Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

Pup-up blockers are pissing me off.

When was the last time that you were visiting a site and it spewed popups that were blocked by IE or Firefox and you were grateful?

vs.

When was the last time you were visiting a site that had a form that you had to fill out, and when you clicked submit the popup blocker blocks the page and when you click "allow popups for this page" the page clears the data in the form so you get to enter it all again?

Yeah.

Every loving Microsoft download

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

the spyder posted:

I was not impressed with our load balancers. Both are junk hardware wise and have a super basic web interface. The ease of use was great for our old admin, but I removed them after the $3k in support renews came back up.
Their support is ridiculous, it's the same price as the hardware for some products and you have to pay it yearly.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

dogstile posted:

if i'm a minute or two late signing onto the phones then they actually dock it off my annual leave

What in the actual gently caress?

Every day I see a new piece of evidence reaffirming that US Labour laws are all kinds of hosed up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pretty standard for call center gigs

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Agrikk posted:

When was the last time that you were visiting a site and it spewed popups that were blocked by IE or Firefox and you were grateful?

vs.

When was the last time you were visiting a site that had a form that you had to fill out, and when you clicked submit the popup blocker blocks the page and when you click "allow popups for this page" the page clears the data in the form so you get to enter it all again?

Yeah.

You're asking when the last time a website spewed a bunch of popups and you were grateful that they didn't pop up? Meaning you didn't see them? Meaning you wouldn't know to be grateful? And as far as I'm concerned, web sites that pop up a new window that would be blocked by a pop-up blocker when you submit a form aren't designed correctly. I have a window open. It has your site in it. Figure out a way to deliver your content in that loving window, please.

Pop-up blockers piss me off, but not in the same way they do you. Ever clicked on a link to some sort of article, tech or otherwise, and after the page loads it loving greys out all the content and pops up some bullshit about a survey or something? Even MSDN does this from time to time and it's always aggravating. I hate focus stealing so goddamn much.

I know the nature of these things isn't truly a "pop-up window," by the way. It'd be nice if we could annihilate the DHTML-style popups as well, without needing to completely noscript the whole site (usually rendering it completely broken in the process).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Agrikk posted:

vs.

Yeah.

In TYOOL 2014, if your site requires popups to fill out a form, the problem is with your site, not your popup blocker.

Hell, I can't remember the last popup I actually wanted open that wasn't the detached chat window in gmail.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agrikk posted:

vs.

Yeah.

1. Not lately. They're blocked, you see, so I take it for granted, just like the light switch.
2. Every time a site that purports to do something useful, and it gives the pop-up warning, I know I'm dealing with something that has a poor user experience just waiting to annoy me. Thus, my expectations are set appropriately low.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's hilariously illegal by the way. Not a huge shocker given the other dumb poo poo the people you work for seem to be up to.

Heh, I figured it was shady, it didn't seem right. I can't seem to find anything on the world wide web about this, could you give me a place to look so I can read up on it?

dogstile fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 12, 2014

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Agrikk posted:

Just because your network is a /12 doesn't mean your DHCP server is handing them all out. Check your address pool size to make sure it isn't set to something smaller.

Also, yeah, reduce your lease time to something really short.

I'm not in the IT department :/ If I were, this definitely would not be an issue.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

skooky posted:

What in the actual gently caress?

Every day I see a new piece of evidence reaffirming that US Labour laws are all kinds of hosed up.

But he's in the UK.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007
The problem my country has with jury duty is that you get paid nothing. Everyone avoids it if they can because they need to pay rent/mortgages/eat it's pretty easy to get out of if you're employed. However this just leaves unemployed people and the elderly to be jurors. IMHO Jury duty should be well paid, and getting jury duty should be like winning the lottery. Everyone would be pumped for it because they're getting extra cash.

It would never work, but I like to imagine it would.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

frogbert posted:

The problem my country has with jury duty is that you get paid nothing. Everyone avoids it if they can because they need to pay rent/mortgages/eat it's pretty easy to get out of if you're employed. However this just leaves unemployed people and the elderly to be jurors. IMHO Jury duty should be well paid, and getting jury duty should be like winning the lottery. Everyone would be pumped for it because they're getting extra cash.

It would never work, but I like to imagine it would.

In my experience in the US your employer is required to pay you your normal rate every day you are required to serve. When the courts cut you a check for service you are required to hand it over to your employer, however - it's not a bonus you get to keep. I've never had an issue with an employer paying me or begrudging me the time spent on jury duty.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Daylen Drazzi posted:

In my experience in the US your employer is required to pay you your normal rate every day you are required to serve.
pfffffffffhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

From the US Courts website:

quote:

Your employer may continue your salary during all or part of your jury service, but federal law does not require an employer to do so.

Federal employees, however, are paid their normal salary in lieu of the jury payment.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

I'm not in the IT department :/ If I were, this definitely would not be an issue.

so far all evidence points to your IT department being useless.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

In my experience in the US your employer is required to pay you your normal rate every day you are required to serve. When the courts cut you a check for service you are required to hand it over to your employer, however - it's not a bonus you get to keep. I've never had an issue with an employer paying me or begrudging me the time spent on jury duty.

Some companies over here will do this, but otherwise its something like $20 a day plus a taxi ride and sometimes a lunch allowance. These payments are made via cheque weeks after the fact. So not only are you out of money for the time you're in the jury you have to visit the god drat bank to deposit a cheque like a savage.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

frogbert posted:

you have to visit the god drat bank to deposit a cheque like a savage.

Or you could go with a bank/credit union that's modern enough to let you deposit checks by taking pictures of them with your phone/scanning them.

Once my bank got that feature getting paid by check became a lot more convenient-
Sign the back, let the app recognize and process each side of the check, put the amount it's for in the box, select which account I want it to go in, and that account is instantly credited.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

KennyTheFish posted:

so far all evidence points to your IT department being useless.

Well they are pretty good at unlocking my account when Outlook/Sharepoint spaz out :shobon:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
If a customer sends an email to me and CC's the ticketing system, I get an email from the customer and an email from the ticket system stating that my ticket was updated with an email. If I reply to all to the customer's email, I get an email from the ticketing system indicating that my ticket has been updated. And they want us to include the ticketing system on all emails. Now imagine an email thread that generates a lot of replies.

And they have gone full metric, including directors sending out daily updates with who were the top ticket closers the previous day and arranging 'friendly' competitions between teams to see who can close the most tickets. I have a meeting with my manager today to figure out if there will be a place for me here or if I will get laid off as soon as executives see that the lower tier closes more tickets than us expensive engineers.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Slightly off topic but lack of "competition" for Calendar and Contacts on the internet. If I want to keep a calendar I can sync to my phone\pc\tablet, I'm pretty stuck with Google Calendar. This wouldn't be an issue except Google turned off support for ActiveSync and so I have to jump through hoops to get any of this synced to my tablet. I could always give up my Gmail account I've had for years and go to Outlook.com but who wants to give up an e-mail address they've had and where everyone expects mail to come from? :sigh: Large corporate slap fights are the worst thing for the public

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Irritated Goat posted:

Slightly off topic but lack of "competition" for Calendar and Contacts on the internet. If I want to keep a calendar I can sync to my phone\pc\tablet, I'm pretty stuck with Google Calendar. This wouldn't be an issue except Google turned off support for ActiveSync and so I have to jump through hoops to get any of this synced to my tablet. I could always give up my Gmail account I've had for years and go to Outlook.com but who wants to give up an e-mail address they've had and where everyone expects mail to come from? :sigh: Large corporate slap fights are the worst thing for the public

Set up Gmail to forward to your Hotmail/Live/Outlook.com account, and you can set up your Microsoft account to send as your Gmail address, if you want/need to.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Nothing like reactively cleaning up this poo poo.

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/11/record-breaking-ddos-attack-struck-on-monday-according-to-reports/

Apparently a pile of my clients were unwilling participants in this. Special thanks to Digium for using a 2006 version of NTP daemon on their poo poo and not having a patch yet. (we've rolled out a pile of Digium PBXes to clients and apparently they recommend that you open the NTP port so it can communicate with remote handsets.)

Modifying a firewall config while the firewall's at 100% CPU is a huge pain in the rear end, and having a pile of 50 of them to do when you need to wait 30 seconds between clicks is probably what Hell is like.

Happy DDoSing, cretins.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Bob Morales posted:

My boss ia a tool. We're driving to the datacenter where we have some crap to install some crap, and he spent like an hour printing out maps on how to get there. Like we don't have iPhones or GPS. And it's not like it's just JUMP ON I75 TO THIS EXIT GO ON THIS MAIN ROAD it's like we're driving to timbuktu.

Last time I went somewhere with my boss, he printed out maps - from MapQuest. I had no idea MapQuest still existed. When I pointed out that we both have Google Maps on our department issued phones, he said he liked to have actual maps to look at in case something happened. Fair enough.

What about going to Google Maps and printing their directions?

The thought never occurred to him.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

xov posted:

Nothing like reactively cleaning up this poo poo.

http://gigaom.com/2014/02/11/record-breaking-ddos-attack-struck-on-monday-according-to-reports/

Apparently a pile of my clients were unwilling participants in this. Special thanks to Digium for using a 2006 version of NTP daemon on their poo poo and not having a patch yet. (we've rolled out a pile of Digium PBXes to clients and apparently they recommend that you open the NTP port so it can communicate with remote handsets.)

Modifying a firewall config while the firewall's at 100% CPU is a huge pain in the rear end, and having a pile of 50 of them to do when you need to wait 30 seconds between clicks is probably what Hell is like.

Happy DDoSing, cretins.

Older versions of Juniper code has the same vulnerability as well. That was fun!

CollegeCop posted:

Last time I went somewhere with my boss, he printed out maps - from MapQuest. I had no idea MapQuest still existed. When I pointed out that we both have Google Maps on our department issued phones, he said he liked to have actual maps to look at in case something happened. Fair enough.

What about going to Google Maps and printing their directions?

The thought never occurred to him.

I found out MapQuest still existed a year ago, only because I can send addresses to my car for its GPS.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Why the gently caress does NTP even have that command? It seems like its only use would be for DDoS attacks like this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dpbjinc posted:

Why the gently caress does NTP even have that command? It seems like its only use would be for DDoS attacks like this.

Because most of these tools were written in an age when security meant that the sysadmin of one research institution made a phone call to the sysadmin of another and asked him to please tell the grad students to knock it off.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dpbjinc posted:

According to ntp's security wiki page, it was resolved in early 2010. But version 4.2.7 is "development" and 4.2.6 is "stable".

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

What is pissing me off today is the hosed up state of my counties finances.

The local county run hospital has a budget shortfall that is going to effect the rest of the county departments including the one I joined four months ago. It was only $64 million but they are now projecting it's going to be between $71-82 million. Every department is being told to cut 7-10% of their budget, including mine.

During the meeting when this was revealed I leaned over to my coworker and asked if I should start working on my resume again.

What isn't pissing me off is I have just finished my bid proposal for a complete revamp of the county tv station. Lucky for me, the funds for this are coming from a different revenue source that can only be used for the station. It's my first major project that I have done on my own and I'm feeling pretty proud and excited about it. At least until I actually start over thinking it and the possibility of having to justify it the board of supervisors.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I had a meeting today to review our in house storage as we filled up our main online archival repository in the fall. After I laid out a plan to move the ~100TB of current data on to tapes, I suggested we look at replacing the storage in 2015. As soon as I said 2015, my boss's eyes glazed over and I could see his thinking "If we are here in 2015". He's the CFO/COO and I'm not sure we will be here either judging by what's been going around the rumor mill. I'm not looking forward to searching for a new job if this place goes under :(.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Dudeguy posted:

New thing I learned that I'll never need in realityland - Broadcom Netxtreme desktop drivers work on their server hardware!
Actually had an issue with these yesterday. Any windows 7 box with those installed from the factory was capped at .1Mbps to network shares. Yes, .1. Had to go around uninstalling them ASAP after some H1B geologist stormed into the CTOs office complaining I was taking too long to roll out a fix. He had told me about the problem just a few hours earlier.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The fact that you're still using network shares would piss me off far more. :colbert:

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Broadcom Netxtreme

Please use trigger warnings in future. Broadcom is the bane of my existence.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

The fact that you're still using network shares would piss me off far more. :colbert:

Instead of?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

~*~ the cloud ~*~

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can appreciate that for a lot of use cases a cloud provider makes sense over a file server, but we are nowhere near the point of being able to look down on file shares in the same way that you would if someone was running Lotus Notes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So I had gotten arranged a raise. Thats good, i don't mind getting paid a little bit more while looking for a new place. The problem is that it's a bonus, not a raise. The bonus is only if I don't take a single day off for any reason in a month. This means that if I got my raise of £3000 which I asked for, if I took a single day off for sickness or any other reason, i'd lose £250's worth of wages for that month. When I originally met with him to discuss it he said that there was a £40 bonus a month and the rest would be in salary increase.

Yeah, no. I have a meeting in two hours. gently caress this guy. Desperately need to :yotj:

E: I have no idea if this belongs in the ticket thread or the pissed off thread, but i'm loving furious so its here for now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's like you live in a small place trying really hard to be Texas.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

dogstile posted:

So I had gotten arranged a raise. Thats good, i don't mind getting paid a little bit more while looking for a new place. The problem is that it's a bonus, not a raise. The bonus is only if I don't take a single day off for any reason in a month. This means that if I got my raise of £3000 which I asked for, if I took a single day off for sickness or any other reason, i'd lose £250's worth of wages for that month. When I originally met with him to discuss it he said that there was a £40 bonus a month and the rest would be in salary increase.

Yeah, no. I have a meeting in two hours. gently caress this guy. Desperately need to :yotj:

E: I have no idea if this belongs in the ticket thread or the pissed off thread, but i'm loving furious so its here for now.

Both.

A lovely response+closure to your ticket came in, and you were pissed off about it.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

I'm so sick of getting the guy who keep signing up for poo poo thinking his email address is 'bobmorales@gmail.com', when I have 'bob.morales@gmail.com' (not my real name).

As dots are ignored in gmail, and you can add anything you want after a +, e.g. b.o.b.mo.r.a.les+booty@gmail.com, surely its really easy to filter out someone else using your address but in a different form?

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, looks like he hosed up again. All the new guys have asked to have a meeting with him for what I assume is the same reason i have. We're all a bunch of typical English lads still (early 20's) which means I can't imagine any of us backing down about this. If he tries to stick to it today i'm telling him to :fuckoff: and walking.

Edit: One guy is already packing his stuff in preparation. I'm excited!

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 13, 2014