Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

D.N. Nation posted:

Southerners could just as easily mock northerners for putting un-raised homes on the ocean in the path of a hurricane.

How does someone do this, then post it and think, yep, that'll do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think the impression he was going for was 'flattened against a window'.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Vicas posted:

Mmm yes all those people who have literally never seen snow stick to the ground in their lives have no excuse for not knowing how to drive in it, I agree

In the North, the ground is cold and the snow tends to stay as snow, which will offer some traction for driving. In the South, the ground is usually still warm under it, which melts the base. Then when the top is compressed it turns into ice, making it much worse to drive on.

Also, the South was never glaciated so it's much hillier than most of the North. All this combined with snow being relatively rare makes for much hilarity on the roads.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I can't hold it against a group of people who have no collective experience and no means to practice when they can't handle uncommon weather. Where are people going to practically practice driving their cars on ice without the roads being iced?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

xxEightxx posted:

...the worst hurricane disaster in recent history happened in a city in the south that was built below sea level.

I've wondered since Katrina "Why did they think it was a good idea to build a city below sea level that close to the water?"

They really had no excuse, it was bound to happen eventually.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Captain Trips posted:

I've wondered since Katrina "Why did they think it was a good idea to build a city below sea level that close to the water?"

Who is your "they" in this scenario?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Probably not, my experience with earthquakes has typically been someone coming up to me and saying "hey, was that an earthquake"?

Now, let's see what I have in my funny images folder... ah, here we go (click for mega-giant):

Does anyone have the real bee version of this?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Captain Trips posted:

The Dutch seem to have it figured out, so it's not impossible by any means. They don't have hurricanes of that (or any, really) magnitude but I'm sure with the right expertise and enough funding even Katrina could've been handled without too much trouble.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Pick posted:

People who ran the city, people who had poo poo destroyed, people who lived there. Anyone too dumb to move away from the Atlantis-waiting-to-happen.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Captain Trips posted:

People who ran the city, people who had poo poo destroyed, people who lived there. Anyone too dumb to move away from the Atlantis-waiting-to-happen.

New Orleans is there because it's the mouth of the Mississippi River. It's a major seaport, and the terminus of most of the barge traffic in the central US. It has to be there. It's important enough that part of it being below sea level is an annoyance worth dealing with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deteriorata posted:

New Orleans is there because it's the mouth of the Mississippi River. It's a major seaport, and the terminus of most of the barge traffic in the central US. It has to be there. It's important enough that part of it being below sea level is an annoyance worth dealing with.

They also have those awesome accents there.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

They also have those awesome accents there.

Don't forget the good food.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Taeke posted:

The Dutch seem to have it figured out, so it's not impossible by any means. They don't have hurricanes of that (or any, really) magnitude but I'm sure with the right expertise and enough funding even Katrina could've been handled without too much trouble.
Europe does get storms that match the power of (smaller) hurricanes though, they're just a completely different type of meteorological phenomenon. The current Dutch defenses against floods were created after a flood that killed nearly 2000 people in the Netherlands back in 1953.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Europe does get storms that match the power of (smaller) hurricanes though, they're just a completely different type of meteorological phenomenon. The current Dutch defenses against floods were created after a flood that killed nearly 2000 people in the Netherlands back in 1953.

I know, but they're not hurricanes/tornadoes in the sense that the US has them, and 1953 is a hell of a long time ago. I was just making the point that it's entirely possible to go about things sensibly and prevent a clusterfuck like the aftermath of Katrina.

Hell, that's what the flooded English are so angry about right now.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Everyone drives like an rear end in a top hat, all the time, every wheres.

Pretty sure is Goon made, not mine

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Taeke posted:

I know, but they're not hurricanes/tornadoes in the sense that the US has them

and 1953 is a hell of a long time ago. I was just making the point that it's entirely possible to go about things sensibly and prevent a clusterfuck like the aftermath of Katrina.
Maybe the reason why the last big flood is so long ago is precisely because it's entirely possible to "go about things sensibly"? European windstorms might not match the biggest Atlantic hurricanes, but they're still on the scale of Hurricane Sandy when it hit New Jersey, and sometimes considerably more powerful like the one that hit Northern Europe last October. They're also much more common than big Atlantic hurricanes. I'm basically arguing the same thing you are.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

In the North, the ground is cold and the snow tends to stay as snow, which will offer some traction for driving. In the South, the ground is usually still warm under it, which melts the base. Then when the top is compressed it turns into ice, making it much worse to drive on.

Also, the South was never glaciated so it's much hillier than most of the North. All this combined with snow being relatively rare makes for much hilarity on the roads.

Now tell us about the chains on our tires :allears:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Living in flood plains you say?

This is from a town called High River.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

jiharlequinade posted:

Now tell us about the chains on our tires :allears:

With all the debate about snow in NC and Atlanta the past few weeks, snow chains/tires get brought up all the time as if those are super common in the north. I've lived in Wisconsin for 28 years and I don't think I've ever actually seen a vehicle with snow chains. I've also never put snow tires on my vehicles and nobody I know does either. Also LOL if you think all roads get plowed/salted immediately after a snowstorm and that the snow doesn't get driven over/compressed into ice.

Hydrogenated
Apr 9, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Not exactly accurate there. Even at -35 Celsius the roads ice over very quickly just by cars driving, due to friction caused by tires and heat from engines. In mid January there was half a foot of ice on some roads in my city due to the snow getting compressed and friction of traffic turning it into ice. Intersections were completely ice due to spinning of tires and vehicles sitting with engine heat melting the snow/ice. At -40 it refreezes pretty much instantly. The reason there is more traction in colder climates when driving on snow is due to hardpack naturally having more grip at lower temperatures. (I'm talking differences of 20 degrees Celcius) Walking across a road in minus 40? No problem. -15, it's slippery as hell.

One of the roads in my city has about 150,000 cars per day traveling on it and during the winter you can go 2 months without seeing the pavement. It's all compressed snow and ice.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hydrogenated posted:

Not exactly accurate there. Even at -35 Celsius the roads ice over very quickly just by cars driving, due to friction caused by tires and heat from engines. In mid January there was half a foot of ice on some roads in my city due to the snow getting compressed and friction of traffic turning it into ice. Intersections were completely ice due to spinning of tires and vehicles sitting with engine heat melting the snow/ice. At -40 it refreezes pretty much instantly. The reason there is more traction in colder climates when driving on snow is due to hardpack naturally having more grip at lower temperatures. (I'm talking differences of 20 degrees Celcius) Walking across a road in minus 40? No problem. -15, it's slippery as hell.

One of the roads in my city has about 150,000 cars per day traveling on it and during the winter you can go 2 months without seeing the pavement. It's all compressed snow and ice.

I grew up in a medium-sized city in Michigan, and heavily traveled roads got plowed and salted regularly. The side streets were plowed far less often, and thus remained mainly snow. It was quite flat, however, so driving on it wasn't very difficult. My experience obviously wasn't the same as everyone else's.

In addition to the hills, the roads in Tennessee are far less forgiving. Trees, mailboxes, ditches, telephone poles, etc. are often within inches of the roadway, leaving you with far smaller margins for error.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

So glad we're ironing out misconceptions about weather these last two pages, you've all done a lot of good here and with God's blessing we'll all believe the same thing about weather and road conditions within the next couple of pages.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Captain Trips posted:

So no fault on the Army Corps of Engineers' part, then? You know, the people actually responsible for the levees failing when they were supposed to easily withstand a storm like Katrina.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

We just need some flying cars, problem solved.

Shut the gently caress up about weather please?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Chard posted:

We just need some flying cars, problem solved.

Shut the gently caress up about weather please?

We have flying cars. They're called "airplanes".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pick posted:

The French. They planned this from the beginning.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ferrule posted:

We have flying cars. They're called "airplanes".

Sure sure, but have you ever tried parking one????

The HOA isn't going to like that...

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Shnag posted:

Everyone drives like an rear end in a top hat, all the time, every wheres.

Pretty sure is Goon made, not mine

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

I saw one of these guys in Columbus last month, it blew my mind. I can't imagine riding a unicycle in great weather, let alone six inches of snow.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Krowley posted:

So no fault on the Army Corps of Engineers' part, then? You know, the people actually responsible for the levees failing when they were supposed to easily withstand a storm like Katrina.

I can't let this go. The ACoE had been yelling for years if not decades that N.O. was a major disaster waiting to happen. But they made the mistake of needing money to fix it.

Blame Congress first, and the state of Louisiana second.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Captain Trips posted:

I saw one of these guys in Columbus last month, it blew my mind. I can't imagine riding a unicycle in great weather, let alone six inches of snow.

Meh, he's got all wheel drive.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

BonHair posted:

Does anyone have the real bee version of this?

You mean this one?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Captain Trips posted:

Why do people build near water? It could flood!
Why do people build in the middle of the desert? Theres no water!
Why do people build in the middle of tornado ally? Theres like tornadoes and poo poo!

Hoofbite
Sep 6, 2003

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Darth Freddy posted:

Why do people build near water? It could flood!
Why do people build in the middle of the desert? Theres no water!
Why do people build in the middle of tornado ally? Theres like tornadoes and poo poo!

The solution is to never build anything anywhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Morpheus posted:

Tents. The future is in tents.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Morpheus posted:

Build further north, nothing happens up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Tardcore posted:

Build further north, nothing happens up there.

The best part of Ohio is the lack of natural disasters. Tornados, floods, blizzards. That's it. Never have to worry about an earthquake or a hurricane.

• Locked thread