Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone know the trick to resetting the config or the user/pass on a APC PDU (7990 model)? I configured one that was fine but this one we got used, I can't get into even over serial. I can hit the web interface but of course apc/apc doesn't work and the reset button doesn't seem to do jack poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Caged posted:

I can appreciate that for a lot of use cases a cloud provider makes sense over a file server, but we are nowhere near the point of being able to look down on file shares in the same way that you would if someone was running Lotus Notes.

You just made it worse. I'll never forget when my IT department had all of these posters up about how we were going to have this Awesome New Functionality called "sorting by subject line". This was in 2005...9 years after I had the same functionality in the Exchange client (before it was called Outlook).

I don't necessarily think ~the cloud~ is the only alternative to network shares. SharePoint, Documentum, or any number of other document management systems with check-in/check-out, version control, and tagging are far better in my experience. Maybe I've just had experiences with network shares, though.

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone know the trick to resetting the config or the user/pass on a APC PDU (7990 model)? I configured one that was fine but this one we got used, I can't get into even over serial. I can hit the web interface but of course apc/apc doesn't work and the reset button doesn't seem to do jack poo poo.

I deal with these all the time. The trick is to push the reset button twice. After the indicator is blinking orange and green, push the reset button again. This will reset the username and password to apc/apc for about a minute.

Remember you need to set your serial port to 9600 8n1!

theangryamoeba fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 13, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dogstile posted:

So I had gotten arranged a raise. Thats good, i don't mind getting paid a little bit more while looking for a new place. The problem is that it's a bonus, not a raise. The bonus is only if I don't take a single day off for any reason in a month. This means that if I got my raise of £3000 which I asked for, if I took a single day off for sickness or any other reason, i'd lose £250's worth of wages for that month. When I originally met with him to discuss it he said that there was a £40 bonus a month and the rest would be in salary increase.

Yeah, no. I have a meeting in two hours. gently caress this guy. Desperately need to :yotj:

E: I have no idea if this belongs in the ticket thread or the pissed off thread, but i'm loving furious so its here for now.

See, this kind of thing is not only bullshit, but it insults your intelligence. They don't have the money for raises, so they come up with this convoluted scheme to make idiots think that they're getting raises when they really aren't. Then they expect you to not see right through it. Which means they think you're an idiot. And they've basically lied to you about what the situation really means.

So now here's my state of mind if something like this happens to me:
1) I'm pissed because I'm not getting a raise.
2) I'm REALLY pissed because you insulted my intelligence.
3) I no longer have ANY trust in you because of your lies and manipulation.

The alternative scenario is just to tell me the mother loving truth and say I'm not getting a raise. My state of mind if you do that is:
1) I'm pissed because I'm not getting a raise.

Which do you think is more damaging to an employee's effectiveness, cooperation, investment, and desire to stick around? Not giving me a raise when I think I deserve one is damaging, but adding insult to injury is going to put a NOS booster on my timeline, to say the least.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Che Delilas posted:

Not giving me a raise when I think I deserve one is damaging, but adding insult to injury is going to put a NOS booster on my timeline, to say the least.

I feel like this at the moment, so I've been packing up my stuff in preparation for hopefully getting another job soon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

theangryamoeba posted:

I deal with these all the time. The trick is to push the reset button. While the light is flashing you have a minute or so to login via the serial console. You should be able to get in with the default username and password apc/apc

Remember you need to set your serial port to 9600 8n1

Not responding, I have what I think is the right cable, it's brand new in the bag from our APC KVM thingy. Maybe it's not the right one (manual says 940-0144A)

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Jeoh posted:

~*~ the cloud ~*~

Business needs prevent us from using The Cloud™ because we have many machines that have access to clinical data and no external internet access, additionally, we have research and medical data that can't leave our site for various reasons. We also have many special snowflake medical applications that want to run as stand alone instances but we can centralize using mapped drives.

There are a huge number of annoyances/limitations with file shares, many that we have run up against, but it seems like there are plenty of legitimate business needs for them.

I won't go into Sharepoint or others since the management overhead and learning curve for our environment vs the payoffs is very lopsided and it isn't a good fit.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 13, 2014

theangryamoeba
Sep 26, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Not responding, I have what I think is the right cable, it's brand new in the bag from our APC KVM thingy. Maybe it's not the right one (manual says 940-0144A)

The cable should be grey with an rj-11 on one side and a female db-9 on the other.

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/ASTE-6Z6KAM/ASTE-6Z6KAM_R0_EN.pdf Here is the manual for the 7990. The directions are on page 19 under "recover from lost password"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dogstile posted:

So I had gotten arranged a raise. Thats good, i don't mind getting paid a little bit more while looking for a new place. The problem is that it's a bonus, not a raise. The bonus is only if I don't take a single day off for any reason in a month. This means that if I got my raise of £3000 which I asked for, if I took a single day off for sickness or any other reason, i'd lose £250's worth of wages for that month. When I originally met with him to discuss it he said that there was a £40 bonus a month and the rest would be in salary increase.

Yeah, no. I have a meeting in two hours. gently caress this guy. Desperately need to :yotj:

E: I have no idea if this belongs in the ticket thread or the pissed off thread, but i'm loving furious so its here for now.

Holy poo poo I first read this and thought it was a bonus if you didn't take a sick day, but it's a day off for any reason at all. So presumably you'd have to take all your holiday entitlement in one go to not lose a huge amount of the 'bonus' over the course of a year, and I wonder what the chances of being able to take a month off in one go would be...

Your boss sounds like an utter loving prick.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Good news everyone, I didn't back down, he tried to give me an £80 bonus (which would have been part of my original salary, so if I got paid 1000 a month normally on the new plan, it would have only been 920 under the new plan because raises don't loving count as a raise). I told him that it wasn't acceptable, that if i'm going to continue to work for the company i'm going to need it in actual salary, as if I want to buy a house the company that sells me it will look at my basic salary, not my bonuses.

He also took into account my five sick days i've taken in five months (that's a lot of sick days! Yeah right gently caress off) and told me that was why he changed it, he wanted an incentive for people to come in. I told him that if he wants an incentive he needs to provide an actual bonus, rather than threatening to take away from my salary. So he's put it all into my salary (every 3-6 months I get an increase of some kind, guy's definitely trying to save on money) and he's actually put the £80 bonus on top of my salary.

(under)Dog wins. gently caress you boss. Basic salary increase + bonus being an actual bonus. Plus the Salary increase is 18.75%. Way more than he was offering in the first place.

:dance:

I was even polite, I walked in, shook his hand and addressed him like he was a reasonable human being. gently caress, I think I understand this diplomacy thing.

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

dogstile posted:

He also took into account my five sick days i've taken in five months (that's a lot of sick days! Yeah right gently caress off) and told me that was why he changed it, he wanted an incentive for people to come in.

The gently caress? I will never understand why people try to disincentivize sick days. Yes, let's have an office full of people who are either contagious or clearly expressing symptoms of illness as a constant reminder that our employees' health is an inconvenience to be ignored. That won't have any secondary effects on attendance or morale at all.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

theangryamoeba posted:

The cable should be grey with an rj-11 on one side and a female db-9 on the other.

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/ASTE-6Z6KAM/ASTE-6Z6KAM_R0_EN.pdf Here is the manual for the 7990. The directions are on page 19 under "recover from lost password"

The cable I had was not the right one. eBay seller gave up the password...all set

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Karanth posted:

The gently caress? I will never understand why people try to disincentivize sick days. Yes, let's have an office full of people who are either contagious or clearly expressing symptoms of illness as a constant reminder that our employees' health is an inconvenience to be ignored. That won't have any secondary effects on attendance or morale at all.

Not to mention that this will probably lead to an actual increase in sick days because one person getting sick will then spread to the rest of the department.
If someone came in sick, I would tell em to go home. Dont give me what ever bug you have :argh:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, he said that he was worried about people calling sick with a slight headache. I've told him that's not my problem. What is my problem is that he's using other peoples excuses as a reason to threaten my pay. I also told him that I offered to work from home because while I could work, I knew I was contagious. He seemed to agree, told me I can't work from home yet as i'm not experienced enough yet (drat) but the offer was noted.

So he was being an absolute dick because some people had taken the piss before. I've let him know that i'm not letting him associate that with me, that I genuinely like working (I do, i'd rather work from home than take a sick day if I could still concentrate. I just don't want to make everyone else ill with a chest infection) and that if he saw it as a possible problem, he should bring it up with me rather than drop a change from what he's offered on me, on the day i'm meant to sign the forms and expect me to comply.

From what I hear he told the other guys to resign at first because they went in angry, they said "fine" and he backpedaled. The guy is spineless.

Edit: Hah, his only comment when he talked to the admin people was "these fuckers are stubborn, they won't budge".

drat loving right.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Honestly, if i'm not able to work from home because i'm literally bedridden, vomiting and unable to even play games, then i'm going to tell him and i'll lose that months bonus pay. That's what I agreed to and i'll stick to it.

If i'm at home and i'm able to play games, i'm able to work. Like I said, I like working, but i'm not giving him an inch, if he wants to try and take the piss, i'll just have another meeting with him *shrug* I know what I agreed to, I have it in writing. I explained that there has to be some level of mutual respect in a working relationship and so long as he sticks to his word, i'll stick to mine.

It was weird having such an open conversation, i'll be honest, usually there's a lot more politics involved, but I was ready to walk today if he disagreed.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 13, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

dogstile posted:

Well, he said that he was worried about people calling sick with a slight headache. I've told him that's not my problem. What is my problem is that he's using other peoples excuses as a reason to threaten my pay.

Well played!

quote:

I also told him that I offered to work from home because while I could work, I knew I was contagious. He seemed to agree, told me I can't work from home yet as i'm not experienced enough yet (drat) but the offer was noted.

Utter crap sighted.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dogstile posted:

He seemed to agree, told me I can't work from home yet as i'm not experienced enough yet (drat) but the offer was noted.

Shitheel just wants butts in seats, make no mistake. I can't call that mindset complete bullshit though, even if it is a little backwards and irrelevant considering the nature of IT work.

quote:

So he was being an absolute dick because some people had taken the piss before. I've let him know that i'm not letting him associate that with me ... and that if he saw it as a possible problem, he should bring it up with me rather than drop a change from what he's offered on me, on the day i'm meant to sign the forms and expect me to comply.

Ooh boy do I hate this. It's the laziest, most cowardly way to solve any kind of problem: make it a sweeping policy based on the worst case so you never have to make any kind of decision or evaluate your employees as individuals. Major props for not putting up with it.

quote:

It was weird having such an open conversation, i'll be honest, usually there's a lot more politics involved, but I was ready to walk today if he disagreed.

It's so difficult to be frank with someone with such power over you. These guys have the keys to our very livelihood, so we are in such a position of weakness and feel like we have to guard our tongues and be willing to compromise way more than we should have to most of the time. Isn't it liberating to be able to deal with them on equal terms, because they no longer have that power, because you're prepared to lose what they can take away?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Jeoh posted:

~*~ the cloud ~*~

The fastest internet we can get in our office is 40Mb/s symmetrical. Our data shares house lots of geological data that range from 50gb to 10tb. I promise the *cloud*~ wouldn't work.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

dogstile posted:

I was ready to walk today if he disagreed.

And that is why he caved. "Do this or I am leaving" is a powerful position to be in during negotiations.

It's a double-edged sword though, so be careful. Right now your boss could be telling HR and/or HIS boss that his troops are on the verge of mutinying. An easy tactic for them to use is to capitulate and give you guys what you want to keep you happy and around for the short term while they explore ways to render you all obsolete.

This exact thing happened in a (hosed up) company I worked for a while back: IT was on the West Coast but the C-types and the business were all on the East Coast and we were basically two companies. Our VP of IT was an arrogant rear end in a top hat who loved throwing his weight around and whenever a request came from business to IT he would put himself into the chain and start blocking things to show who ran things.

Ultimately things came to a head when the CEO wanted fiber strung to his ranch so he could get internet out there and wanted my team to design a solution. I thought it would be a cool challenge and was all for it, but VP said gently caress that and gently caress you CEO.

So CEO said, yeah, yeah, you're right it was a silly idea. Then four months later he fired all 300 of us and outsourced IT to IBM.

Hah hah hah whooops!

Incidentally, this is why you never accept a counter-offer from your present company when you give them your two week notice. When you give your two weeks, you are telling your employer that you no longer want to work there because of $reasons$, but they are in a panic mode and need you to stay because they fear knowledge drain and the rest. So they make you an offer to keep you around, but you are now unreliable to them. They keep you around and then work to replace you when it is convenient to them.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 13, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Agrikk posted:

And that is why he caved. "Do this or I am leaving" is a powerful position to be in during negotiations.

It's a double-edged sword though, so be careful. Right now your boss could be telling HR and/or HIS boss that his troops are on the verge of mutinying. An easy tactic for them to use is to capitulate and give you guys what you want to keep you happy and around for the short term while they explore ways to render you all obsolete.

I was speaking to the CEO because I work in the head office. My boss is literally "the boss". He seems like the type of guy who will try and take the piss and then back down the second you say "no, that's not going to work". But hey, at least if he tries to lay me off, I can pad my reserve wallet with the extra cash i'm being given.

E: Anyway, all seems happy now. I'll stop flooding the thread with this, just realised how much i've been posting over the last few days.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 13, 2014

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Keep looking for a new job. That place is a poo poo hole even if they did give you a little more money. Many IT skills are in demand. If you are even remotely social and have a cert or two you're going to have recruiters knocking down the door.

EDIT: For poo poo that is NOT pissing me off... I signed on with the primary DoD IT contractor at my site this week. Previously I was with a sub-contractor for 6 months. 15% raise on an already above market salary, for the same work. I'll take it!

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 14, 2014

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

dogstile posted:

So he was being an absolute dick because some people had taken the piss before. I've let him know that i'm not letting him associate that with me,

With reasoning like that (such as his vendetta against all smokers) it wouldn't surprise me if this guy turned out to be really racist as well.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

GOOCHY posted:

Keep looking for a new job. That place is a poo poo hole even if they did give you a little more money. Many IT skills are in demand. If you are even remotely social and have a cert or two you're going to have recruiters knocking down the door.

EDIT: For poo poo that is NOT pissing me off... I signed on with the primary DoD IT contractor at my site this week. Previously I was with a sub-contractor for 6 months. 15% raise on an already above market salary, for the same work. I'll take it!

Nice! I'm hoping to find a position in the next few months with a nice pay raise, however the primary and sub-contractors at my site have mutual agreements to not poach one another's personnel, which also means they won't hire someone from one of the other contractors, so there's no chance of parlaying it into a pay increase. I'd pretty much have to find another contract, and every one I've looked at is held by one of the three contract agencies I work with now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

dogstile posted:

My father's father was very english so maybe that's why I am identifying with you so heavily, but there are some people in the world that are advocating something called radical honesty. Dana White from the UFC is probably one of them. It's where you unload what you are actually thinking and see what the hell happens. I think that's what you did in this situation.

Now the problem, if your boss is actually a spineless piece of poo poo, is that you can get him to do the right thing by talking straight with him, but assholes and idiots can get him to do the wrong thing by telling him the wrong stuff. So you're always going to be fighting the person that isn't in the room because your boss does not have independent cognitive ability. gently caress that guy and keep looking for a better job.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Almost blew my foot off with a rocket launcher today:

I've known that for quite a while our office (corporate office (legal/hr/finance/etc, all those super important departments)) IT has not been keeping proper backups of our fileserver (Like, at all) after we lost our backup disk array. I knew well enough to actually hand our replacement IT Manager a ticket and email saying that he needs to reconfigure the backups for our office. However, due to turnover and losing two IT Managers in short order, this was never really communicated that well, and while it's not really my responsibility to ensure that someone else is doing their job, I can completely see how it would be to the detriment of all if we somehow lost our main fileserver. We're talking almost 30TB of company critical information, that if lost, meant we would have to close our doors because nobody could work.

Which happened today. Staff started complaining about not being able to access any of their shares, and it was quickly discovered that the attached storage was offline.

8 hours later and it looks like it was the RAID controller that died, almost corrupting the entire RAID set and it's data. By no small miracle we had a box of spare RAID cards that allowed me to recover all of the data, only to discover that the drive data was almost entirely corrupted :suicide:

Another 5 hours later and after a slew of backup program trials I am finally able to start copying files to a spare disk array of comparable size that we had lying around. Boy it's a good thing we had all of these Marcom video files in RAW foarmat on our IT shared drive otherwise it wouldn't take 256 hours to copy all of this data off.

:rant:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

mewse posted:

My father's father was very english so maybe that's why I am identifying with you so heavily, but there are some people in the world that are advocating something called radical honesty. Dana White from the UFC is probably one of them. It's where you unload what you are actually thinking and see what the hell happens. I think that's what you did in this situation.

Now the problem, if your boss is actually a spineless piece of poo poo, is that you can get him to do the right thing by talking straight with him, but assholes and idiots can get him to do the wrong thing by telling him the wrong stuff. So you're always going to be fighting the person that isn't in the room because your boss does not have independent cognitive ability. gently caress that guy and keep looking for a better job.

To confirm, my CV is still out there, i'm just filtering out the jobs that are further away and pay the same, or are in like, london where travelling there each day would cost me most of my increased salary and take up way more of my day. I want to be a sysadmin, so i'm keeping an eye out.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dogstile posted:

To confirm, my CV is still out there, i'm just filtering out the jobs that are further away and pay the same, or are in like, london where travelling there each day would cost me most of my increased salary and take up way more of my day. I want to be a sysadmin, so i'm keeping an eye out.

Mostly off topic for your situation, but I hear you on that last one.

gently caress working in London. I'd rather work with printers.

Short version: Unless you're a stockbroker or some poo poo, anyone who works in London can't afford to live* (or park a car) in London, you're looking at 1-2 hours of overcrowded, overpriced public transport from some shithole dormitory town like Aylesbury or Romford every bloody morning.

*Unless you're prepared to live in a rented shoebox at the side of the road for £1200 a month and still spend up to an hour on the Tube.

Lum fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 14, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I think we have a new thread title: More poo poo that pisses you off: gently caress living on London, I'd rather work with printers.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Ynglaur posted:

I think we have a new thread title: More poo poo that pisses you off: gently caress living on London, I'd rather work with printers.

Mods! Please!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lum posted:

Mostly off topic for your situation, but I hear you on that last one.

gently caress working in London. I'd rather work with printers.

Short version: Unless you're a stockbroker or some poo poo, anyone who works in London can't afford to live* (or park a car) in London, you're looking at 1-2 hours of overcrowded, overpriced public transport from some shithole dormitory town like Aylesbury or Romford every bloody morning.

*Unless you're prepared to live in a rented shoebox at the side of the road for £1200 a month and still spend up to an hour on the Tube.

Yeah, my older brother lives in a small town just inside the M25, and ended up living in what can only be described as a converted garage in someone's back garden. (Not even kidding, it's not even a large one - not even built properly). For £500 a month. Remarkable value! Even that was hard to find.

London.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 14, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yup, that's London in a nutshell. An NHS guy I know left his job for an £85,000 tech job in london, plus benefits. That's what it'd take to get me to even consider London. £22,000 for a london job was one of my offers. Yeah right, gently caress off.

On a printer note, I just traded a printer ticket in exchange for setting up backups for a very, very pissed off customer. I've had a no printer wonderland for the last 2 weeks and I will keep this train going.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have to pull emails and such for two users here, and they're going to be getting fired because of the content. I don't know one of them, but I know the other, she sits across the aisle from me and I've hung out with her and her boyfriend quite a few times, they're really great people.

But of course I can't say anything to her, or anyone else about it. Luckily she's not here so we can't pull poo poo off her laptop until she is, I almost want to send her some anonymous text message "DELETE EVERY MESSAGE YOU EVER SENT TO XXXXX@.YYYY.COM TRUST ME" so they won't have any proof when she comes back.

:smith:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

I have to pull emails and such for two users here, and they're going to be getting fired because of the content. I don't know one of them, but I know the other, she sits across the aisle from me and I've hung out with her and her boyfriend quite a few times, they're really great people.

But of course I can't say anything to her, or anyone else about it. Luckily she's not here so we can't pull poo poo off her laptop until she is, I almost want to send her some anonymous text message "DELETE EVERY MESSAGE YOU EVER SENT TO XXXXX@.YYYY.COM TRUST ME" so they won't have any proof when she comes back.

Wouldn't the other person's inbox still have them? No need to lose your own job for covering up.

Pissing me off today: people who don't go on mute when they're not speaking on a conference call. I don't care if you work from home. I don't even care if I get background noise while you're speaking. But when you're not speaking, use the loving mute already. Lync and Skype both have hotkeys for this.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

What kind of emails would get two people fired if its just between them?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Usually its the kind that involves them conspiring against the company, but Bob already said she's a pretty great person so who knows?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bob Morales posted:

Skip's guide to dealing with this poo poo.

1: It's never worth losing your own job to protect someone else. No heads up no matter how good of a friend they are. Don't discuss it with anyone period.

2: Don't volunteer anything outside of exactly what you are asked to provide. If they want emails from the last 60 days between John and Jane, give them that and only that. Don't volunteer emails between John and Mary you may come across that might be harmful to them.

3: Cover Your rear end. All requests like this should have upper management and HR involvement and follow all established documented company procedures if they exist. At least make sure you have emails documenting the request.

4: Remember you're just providing information, these parties chose to do something that ended up in them getting fired. You didn't get them fired, they got themselves fired. The first few times I had a situation like this I had a bit of personal guilt about it. Don't let that happen to you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

What kind of emails would get two people fired if its just between them?

Two different people here emailing people outside the company

skipdogg posted:

1: It's never worth losing your own job to protect someone else. No heads up no matter how good of a friend they are. Don't discuss it with anyone period.
Right, I wouldn't even consider doing anything to stop it, I just feel a little bit bad because I know the person.

skipdogg posted:

2: Don't volunteer anything outside of exactly what you are asked to provide. If they want emails from the last 60 days between John and Jane, give them that and only that. Don't volunteer emails between John and Mary you may come across that might be harmful to them.
Exactly.

skipdogg posted:

3: Cover Your rear end. All requests like this should have upper management and HR involvement and follow all established documented company procedures if they exist. At least make sure you have emails documenting the request.
My boss and the president of the company asked me to do it.

skipdogg posted:

4: Remember you're just providing information, these parties chose to do something that ended up in them getting fired. You didn't get them fired, they got themselves fired. The first few times I had a situation like this I had a bit of personal guilt about it. Don't let that happen to you.
I know. Done it a hundred times before.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
gently caress working with Pearson Vue. I have never dealt with this kind of ineptitude at every corner. The support staff are junk, the hardware is antiquated, the software is obviously loving ancient too, no one can transfer me to the right place, they're late for appointments, and I think their phone directory is backwards :psyduck: Sitting around working for free while I pace around and kick things

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
"As soon as I get on the phone with you I lose connection to what I'm doing here" :hurr:

E: UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 14, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Roargasm posted:

"As soon as I get on the phone with you I lose connection to what I'm doing here" :hurr:

E: UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

What, are they on dialup with only one phone line? Man, that takes me back. To 1996.

:siren: Joke, I was making a joke. :siren:

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Che Delilas posted:

What, are they on dialup with only one phone line? Man, that takes me back. To 1996.
I think it's supposed to mean, "When you call me with a support request, it interrupts the work I'm doing."