Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

NeilPerry posted:

I need a list of really long funny group LP's. The standard I'm looking for is Shenmue by Tipping Forties and Sonic 06 by Pokecapn and the gang. I don't want a game that's TOO interesting since I'm using it mainly as background noise to study kanji.

Ride to Hell: Retribution by Men Drinking Coffee is all kinds of amazing. The game itself is an utter train wreck, and you can just rewind 30s whenever they burst out laughing to see what happened if you're not paying attention.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571772

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Tommofork posted:

Ride to Hell: Retribution by Men Drinking Coffee is all kinds of amazing. The game itself is an utter train wreck, and you can just rewind 30s whenever they burst out laughing to see what happened if you're not paying attention.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571772

Ride to Hell isn't an LP to listen to in the background.

(Except for the airport level or the tens of minutes of completely repetitive, dull locations spiced up by one unfair death).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NeilPerry posted:

I need a list of really long funny group LP's. The standard I'm looking for is Shenmue by Tipping Forties and Sonic 06 by Pokecapn and the gang. I don't want a game that's TOO interesting since I'm using it mainly as background noise to study kanji.

I don't know why you'd use a bunch of people jabbering in English as background noise for studying a foreogn language, but Slowbeef's 2 Dead to Rights lps are great.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Also recommend slowbeef's Metroid Prime runs. Excellent background material because 90% of it is him fumbling around the overworld while Vicas tries to route him on the right path.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Kay Plays Dark Souls is a blind YouTube LP with live solo commentary that believe it or not is actually really good. The LPer takes care to play intelligently, putting a lot of fore- and afterthought into everything, and there's no scarecam, loud screeching, blaming the game, getting lost, failing to learn from mistakes, or any of those other usual things. I've played through the game a few times, and I'm enjoying this LP a lot, because I'm getting to see this person learn how to play this game very quickly, appreciate all the cool little things about it that she notices, and get through an embarrassing (for me) number of encounters on her first or second try.

(With all that thinking about how to approach things and how to do better next time comes that she goes a little slow, though, and she doesn't cut out any "running back to the boss"-type parts like Geop and Slowbeef have been doing in their playthroughs, as a warning.)

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Seconding the Kay Plays run through of Dark Souls. Considering it started as a joke she's gotten really into, notices lots of details I'd never seen before and has started putting some effort into editing.
If nothing else it's great to see her piece together the physical layout of the game, seeing how it all ties together. It's also a rare (from what I've seen anyway) Intelligence focused build. She also manages to start with the hardest initial build without much problem.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Thirding the above, with a warning that if you've got annotations disabled, you might want to turn them on - she generally puts annotations with timestamp links to skip the parts where she's reading descriptions that you've probably memorized and speculating about what they could mean, or figuring out the controls, or spending a lot of time looking around one place, or playing with stats and equipment sets to see what fits best. She eventually starts editing that out, but in the early videos, those links may make the experience less frustrating if you're familiar with the game.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but can anyone remember a Silent Hunter LP on these forums? It would have been many years ago now and my memory tells me the author had the word "Oberst" in his name.

It was a screenshot LP with an interesting and informative style that was heavy on historical detail, i.e. the author followed the chronological timeline of WWII and talked about the important historical events of U-Boat warfare. I believe the flavour included role-playing a submarine commander and keeping a log-book etc.

It was a great LP and very educational. I think it was abandoned, but I hope to read it again anyway!

EDIT: I also meant to include that I couldn't easily find it via Google.

Crescendo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 16, 2014

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Crescendo posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but can anyone remember a Silent Hunter LP on these forums? It would have been many years ago now and my memory tells me the author had the word "Oberst" in his name.

Would this be the one? Seems like all the images are dead, though.

Incidentally, if you're having trouble finding an LP in the Master List, it may be because abandoned LPs are filtered out by default now. You can still look at them using the search, though.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

Zandar posted:

Would this be the one? Seems like all the images are dead, though.

Incidentally, if you're having trouble finding an LP in the Master List, it may be because abandoned LPs are filtered out by default now. You can still look at them using the search, though.

Yes, that's it. Thank you.

drat shame about the images. Such a good LP. :(

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Everybody should watch this playthrough of Darksiders II. The game itself is not very interesting but the LPers just make it fun to watch. They're breaking the game, finding all sorts of ways to get out of the levels and generally having a good time of it. They're an entertaining comedy duo and have great chemistry. The editing is playful and in general it is a high quality yet under-appreciated LP.

In short, it's good, watch it.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I don't know why you'd use a bunch of people jabbering in English as background noise for studying a foreogn language, but Slowbeef's 2 Dead to Rights lps are great.

I'm already advanced level so it's pretty okay. The thing about kanji is that you need to write them repeatedly over and over and over and over again to get a hang of it. It's less to do with actually memorising them and more to do with getting your hand used to the movement. So, LP's have been really, really useful in making something so boring kind of fun.

red mammoth
Nov 3, 2011

Stupid sexy Stalin!
There's two LP threads that I've been looking for, but can't find. I have premium and archives, but I still can't find them.

One is a double-LP that plays through two weird Russian (I think) games. Details may be a bit fuzzy. One is a VLP of a really weird, extremely buggy open world game. Its opening cutscene is unintentionally hilarious. One of the first lines of dialogue is "Get on the machine gun, gringo!" I think it had 'Gold' in the title.

The other game played in that thread is a screenshot LP of a truly batshit insane RPG. It has hilariously bad translation and crude graphics. It takes place in the future, and the main character is a gruff space marine-type who starts in prison on some distant planet. The first part of the game is him trying to escape. He does this by beating people up, and by offering himself sexually to everyone he meets. The LPer had him walk around wearing nothing except a turban. There's a subplot that involves someone's disabled brother, and some casual anti-semitism. Great thread all-around. Did I dream that poo poo?

The other thread was for the Russian game Pathologic. If you've never heard of it, it's a really disturbing game where you try to survive in a mysterious steppe town falling prey to a horrific plague. It's got elements of magical realism, such as bizarre architecture and weird monsters. There's three main characters you can choose from, and if you pick one you meet the other two often throughout the game. There's a young doctor from out of town (The Bachelor), a local doctor on the run for a crime he didn't commit (The Haruspex) and a teenage girl with mystical healing powers (The Devotress). It's an endlessly fascinating game, notorious for its extreme difficulty and its terrible English translation.

Woodenchicken already did a very good LP of the Devotress path, fixing up the translation a lot. I highly recommend it. However, there was another, earlier LP that played through the Bachelor path. I remember it being pretty good as well. Unfortunately, I don't think it ever appeared in the Let's Play Archive. Hopefully the images aren't broken after all this time. There was a Haruspex playthrough as well, but I can't remember if it was ever finished.

If anyone can find any of those threads, I'd be very grateful.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The double LP was Xenus II: White Gold and Planet Alcatraz.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm a mark for Paradox LPs, and the latest wave on the forum has been pretty cool. The most underrated of them all, though, has been the Byzantium Empire as done by Rincewind.

I may have recommended this before, but even still, the fact that this isn't getting so much love is sad. It's like the Denmark round by Thanqol which had each update in a slightly different format. So far in the Byzantine LP, updates have been a retelling of the Alexiad, a version of a history podcast, a Wikipedia article, and a debate over modding Europa Universalis 4 on the Paradox forums. It's clever and keeps it fresh.

Hopefully, like with the Thanqol LP, Rincewind's stuff will get more exposure from in here.

EDIT: Okay, apparently I recommended this last month, but even still, it's worth a look. It's even better than last time.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
If you guys are looking for an entertaining LP of a lovely horror game, then look no further than Fiendly's current LP of Splatterhouse: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3576560 . You've got Darkwing Duck cursing a lot, you've got unnecessary amounts of blood and boobs, and to top it all off you've got both an informative LP'er and audience keeping some good horror movie knowledge flowing. Also he's running through the older Splatterhouse's as well and he's currently on the super bizarre Nintendo one that was super chibi and full of weird references.

Also if you're in the mood to laugh, in the mood to hear endless sounds of fun, and up for a whole lotta fish taint, then you should definitely be checking out Kaubock's and Panzer Skank's current LP of Saints Row 2: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602503

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 17, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

red mammoth posted:

The other thread was for the Russian game Pathologic. If you've never heard of it, it's a really disturbing game where you try to survive in a mysterious steppe town falling prey to a horrific plague. It's got elements of magical realism, such as bizarre architecture and weird monsters. There's three main characters you can choose from, and if you pick one you meet the other two often throughout the game. There's a young doctor from out of town (The Bachelor), a local doctor on the run for a crime he didn't commit (The Haruspex) and a teenage girl with mystical healing powers (The Devotress). It's an endlessly fascinating game, notorious for its extreme difficulty and its terrible English translation.

Woodenchicken already did a very good LP of the Devotress path, fixing up the translation a lot. I highly recommend it. However, there was another, earlier LP that played through the Bachelor path. I remember it being pretty good as well. Unfortunately, I don't think it ever appeared in the Let's Play Archive. Hopefully the images aren't broken after all this time. There was a Haruspex playthrough as well, but I can't remember if it was ever finished.

If anyone can find any of those threads, I'd be very grateful.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3033830

Ironically you were inches away from the link you were looking for-- WoodenChicken linked the Bachelor thread in their OP. I know for a fact the Haruspex thread was never finished.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Everyone needs to experience the weirdness that is Total Distortion

Make music videos, battle guitar monsters, talk like a robot, do drugs, and make money.

It's super90's in a fmv game.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I would like to highly recommend the 13th Age LP (link here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561713 )

Ironicus and crew tell an interesting story with a varied cast of characters that has always managed to make me laugh at every episode. The world feels fleshed out and the One Unique Thing mechanic means that the PCs are all more than two dimensional. Also, it has some of the best fanart I have ever seen.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

NeilPerry posted:

You want RChimpCola's Assassin's Creed 2 LP but I have no idea how you're going to study kanji with it running. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3367640

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Rirse posted:

Only warning about the Dead Rising LP....the mission videos are on the Internet Archive, but all the bonus videos and extra content like "Let's Explore" weren't put up for some reason and are now missing online. I have a copy of them, but I would have to get baldurk or Oatmeal permission to reupload them.

Oatmeal also put the mission videos up on his Youtube channel, so there's a chance he might also have the other ones and just hasn't put them up for whatever reason.

Just A Friend
Jan 11, 2010

NeilPerry posted:

pokecapn posted:

You want RChimpCola's Assassin's Creed 2 LP but I have no idea how you're going to study kanji with it running. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3367640

If you don't have forums archives (and since it is not in the LP Archive) you can find it here.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

NeilPerry posted:

Pork Lift and wateyad's Final Fantasy XIII is long as balls and needs zero brainpower to comprehend. They get some special guests in eventually but mostly it's two idiots talking over an idiot game.

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
So I want my :10bux: worth. Are there any good screenshot LPs that can only be found in the Archives? (i.e. aren't on the external LP Archive site.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

bladedsmoke posted:

So I want my :10bux: worth. Are there any good screenshot LPs that can only be found in the Archives? (i.e. aren't on the external LP Archive site.)

Off the top of my head, TenaCrane's pair of Fire Emblem DS LPs are in archives. The first one in particular was pretty great since one of the design decisions of said game involved killing off your army to see bonus content, so every now and again Tena would subject someone to gambling on their life (think Two Face flipping a coin to determine whether or not you'd get shot in the face). I really wish that LP were on the LP Archive, but alas.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

That sounds fantastic! But I am now cursed. Forever teased by its alluring calls.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

bladedsmoke posted:

Mouser did an excellent SSLP of the Leisure Suit Larry games from 1-5. It was never archived because he didn't finish it (he was intending to do all of them through to 7 but gave up midway through 6) but the games he did do were done very well and he had a whole heap of interesting behind-the-scenes information about Al Lowe and early Sierra after each update.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3322650

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

bladedsmoke posted:

One possible issue with that is that a lot of older screenshot LPs used waffleimages to host the screenshots, and of course waffleimages is no longer with us. I suppose it's not that different from unarchived video LPs often having used hosts that are now lovely and prone to deleting LPs, though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

cmndstab posted:

Mouser did an excellent SSLP of the Leisure Suit Larry games from 1-5. It was never archived because he didn't finish it (he was intending to do all of them through to 7 but gave up midway through 6) but the games he did do were done very well and he had a whole heap of interesting behind-the-scenes information about Al Lowe and early Sierra after each update.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3322650

Including an interview with the man himself halfway through 5, I think!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bladedsmoke posted:

If you're up for a real good read that doesn't actually have an ending, HelloWinter did a great SSLP of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney but stopped a little over halfway through. But it was really good, with original artwork from HW, a bunch of additional stuff from the Phoenix Wright art books, Orenronen provided notes on the game's translation process as well as translated a lot of the development team's blog, and there was some nifty fanart.

Also a lot of goons got to discover the sky

But then that siren on the rocks that is Dangan Rompa came up and HW went to work on the translation patch project which is apparently a thing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

TwoPair posted:

But then that siren on the rocks that is Dangan Rompa came up and HW went to work on the translation patch project which is apparently a thing.

Was. And these two events are actually fairly unrelated.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The only little warning about looking for old screenshot LPs in the archives. They may be missing images or due to a few image hosts dying or blacklisting Something Awful. Also the archives has a bad habit, at least in the past to eat posts randomly. There are some older screenshot LPs you might notice on the LP Archives that lack a random update for this very reason.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TwoPair posted:

In case Curtiss wasn't blunt enough, the SHSL Translation Patch was canceled the minute the official localization was announced.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Also a lot of goons got to discover the sky

This was probably the most important single thing any LP has accomplished to date. It changed my life.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

I didn't read the lp so I don't get it. What's the sky joke.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

MEAT! posted:

Hell, I followed the thread when it was happening and somehow managed to miss this.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MEAT! posted:

Well in Chapter 3, there is an area where you converse with various characters and someone pointed out that it was an outdoor area. They were shocked that they never realized that you could see the sky in said area, as were the majority of people in that thread. :allears:

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

bladedsmoke posted:

I can't believe no one has archived ChuckMaster's A Moment of Silence LP. Yes, all the images died but someone saved the entire thread as html documents and was supposed to archive it from that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ChaosArgate posted:

Well in Chapter 3, there is an area where you converse with various characters and someone pointed out that it was an outdoor area. They were shocked that they never realized that you could see the sky in said area, as were the majority of people in that thread. :allears:

This area, specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Why does an outdoor area have a loving air vent?

• Locked thread