Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The pot has sweetened! Pelgrane Press is offering two $20 gift vouchers as prizes for this contest. We will award one to our favorite entries for each team. Not only will your words build an adventure locale, but you've got a chance at snagging some cool books!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

goatface posted:

I'd rather split the party into Team Functional (Margaret, Scarlett, Rip, Nav) and Team Fabulous (Bella, Mint, Manuel, Nav).

Yes, Nav is in both.

You might need to swap Rip and Bella.

PublicOpinion posted:

Work in progress, but got to make the magic team feel appreciated:

Teams made out of a tall guy, a short guy, and a woman have a proven history of 100% success.

Prediction: The party encounters gnomish separatists who have been emboldened by the Empire's problems.

To protect the world from an invasion
By the lich, some elves or the imperial nation.
To denounce the evils of the rogues
To extend our reach to the moon above

Scarlett!
Mint~
Team Magic exploding with mystical might
Surrender now or prepare to fight

RRRRIIIIIP! THAT'S RIGHT!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gensuki posted:

To protect the world from an invasion
By the lich, some elves or the imperial nation.
To denounce the evils of the rogues
To extend our reach to the moon above

Scarlett!
Mint~
Team Magic exploding with mystical might
Surrender now or prepare to fight

RRRRIIIIIP! THAT'S RIGHT!

Meeeeercurry! :black101:

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant
all these submissions are fantastic..! I hope this contest is providing a good chance for people to flex their creative muscles. if there's anyone out there unsure of what they can do, it can be aaaaanything. statistics, stories, analyses... all. all all all.

goatface posted:

I'd rather split the party into Team Functional (Margaret, Scarlett, Rip, Nav) and Team Fabulous (Bella, Mint, Manuel, Nav).

Yes, Nav is in both.

I like your style

A Wooden Palisade
May 23, 2009

none of them want to fight me like you do

Gensuki posted:

this is like the fourth time you've said this man are you okay

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

PlasmaMan posted:

thumbs up.

I'm touched y'all recommend starting from the start..! but anyway.

:siren:you must train for thousands of years by crying into a diaper to master the art of magic:siren:

Let's Play the Thirteenth Age Session 35 part 1: Waylay of Wyrm

Oh

So that was the spell that Ironicus was talking about in the 13th Age thread. I quickly see how it'll end badly

Mecheon fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 21, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

A Wooden Palisade posted:

this is like the fourth time you've said this man are you okay

I'm sorry. I'll stop.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

General Ironicus posted:

The pot has sweetened! Pelgrane Press is offering two $20 gift vouchers as prizes for this contest. We will award one to our favorite entries for each team. Not only will your words build an adventure locale, but you've got a chance at snagging some cool books!

That sounds awesome, how does it work with regards to entries that apply to either team?

For that matter, how do those work in general? Would any suggestions just be added to the winning team regardless?

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Okay, I'll have to draw something for this, but first, I'd just like to say that the DuckTales Moon Theme was perfect, and I'd like to thank VDaivve for giving Ambisagrus that nat20. The entire thing was wonderful, of course, but I love it when something awesome works out (even if it ends poorly - we could have had another case of Nav skewering a giant boss enemy in the same woods!).

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Team Magic 4eva.

I think the next place our heroes visit will be a cable TV station.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

John Liver posted:

Team Magic 4eva.

Team Magic takes the first submission to feature teamwork, a strategy seems to be forming.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

:siren:The Dwarves invented the noble sport of Handegg in the third age:siren:

Let’s Play The Thirteenth Age Session 35 part 2: Mint is Missing!

Mint has vanished from the streets of Moonwatch. Well, he did a while ago, but we only just noticed so we’re only just now starting to look for him. He’d be glad to know that we’re still taking plenty of time to relax as we do so, though.

Music: Deadly Premonition soundtrack
"Swery 65"
"FBI Special Agent"
"Comic Relief"
"Underground"

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

John Liver posted:

Team Magic 4eva.

Team Magic is on the case! Incredible work, John Liver!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
A bit old, even from the thread's viewpoint but

There's nothing much left to say
We know they'll all get away
With the grand king of shmooze
there's no way they'll lose
...Unless, of course, it's tuesday.

Those glasses aren't just for show
Don't act like you didn't know.
That slickest distraction
concealin the action
You can always count on Umberto.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

Pretty pretty pony pony pretty pony pon pon

John Liver posted:

Team Magic 4eva.

This is just fantastic!

I mean, psh just like Team Magic to run in fear from danger. :colbert:

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
This portrait of Mint Gelato brought to you by: Me trying to learn how to do shading!

I'm sorry that I can't draw goggles.

(Here's a version without the moon background: )

Prediction: Bella and Scarlett have a bottle episode/buddy-cop adventure/Freaky Friday rip-off (delete where appropriate) where they're stuck together somehow and forced to learn to like one another. Or kill one another. Whichever happens first. All while the team have a bigger problem they really should be dealing with.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

bladedsmoke posted:

This portrait of Mint Gelato brought to you by: Me trying to learn how to do shading!

I'm sorry that I can't draw goggles.

The goggles are fine. Also, the entire piece is great. You have expressed a lot of the ideas that I have about Mint. Thank you for contributing this to the glory of Team Best Ideas Magic.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

WolfShirt posted:

This is just fantastic!

I mean, psh just like Team Magic to run in fear from danger. :colbert:

Clearly we are running TO battle! Just look at Mercury. That is not the handegged sprint of a coward!

Honorific!
Jul 5, 2007

Well played, Goonsire!

PlasmaMan posted:

I would additionally like to state that, as new nav this is a respectable level of tribute from a slug. as plaz, howver, I would like to say that it is spectacular and just how I imagine new nav imagines himself, and thank you..!

I'm thrilled you like it! At this point you guys have given me years of free entertainment between two tiers of DND and 13th Age. Just want to make sure you guys feel the love in return. :allears: And may I say that this last session was probably my favorite session of 13th age you guys have ever done. While I was listening to it, I worked on this:

*~Magical Girl Bella Canto~*
"They say that when you see her, you hear the most beautiful song you've ever heard in your entire life. And then you realize you're dead!"

My prediction is that there is a group of anti-paladins who hate the Great Gold Wyrm, a sort of dark reflection of the Golden Order. And they are also interested in Scarlett.

PS: Planning on doing a magical girl drawing for Scarlett too!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I love this part too, which is why I feel like I dropped the ball. Please mentally replace my legend with this:

They say she was in The Blessed Emperor's personal guard. She serves him to this day, hunting traitors and anyone she says doesn't live up to the Imperial ideal. Her arrows have blotted out the sun, turning a noontime battle into an ambush in darkness; and her bow can heave a mighty oak 500 yards. They call her... Margot!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That would probably be the kind of rumour that would spread, if only because Bella is much better at spreading rumours than Margaret is at controlling them.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Between tavern rumors and drunken Margaret this is easily the funniest episode thus far. I can't imagine that Project Director Peppercorn has been following Mint's exploits at all though because nobody in their right mind would say "what could it hurt" to leaving him alone with a hunk of possessed moonrock. Or, like, anything more volatile than a cup of water. I doubt there's going to be much left of Moonwatch after this, bar perhaps a smoking crater.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Ixjuvin posted:

Between tavern rumors and drunken Margaret this is easily the funniest episode thus far...

Oh man, just you wait til next episode.

NEXT EPISODE...

reavor
Jul 24, 2013
I just wanted to chime in that the latest episode was one of the best, with the deeper exploration of Mint's storyline, Rip launching Nav onto a dragon, and the confusion effects during the battle. Also, "More Mead!"

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

reavor posted:

I just wanted to chime in that the latest episode was one of the best, with the deeper exploration of Mint's storyline, Rip launching Nav onto a dragon, and the confusion effects during the battle. Also, "More Mead!"

I think Margaret very calmly looking at Scarlett and going "I'm confused right now, so I just want to let you know that if you try to run from me I WILL shoot you in the back and I WILL kill you" is one of the funniest things ever in this podcast.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I just managed to catch up with this episode, and I am really loving the possibility that the moon might be a giant living dungeon.

Pyradox fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 23, 2014

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

John Liver posted:

Team Magic 4eva.

This is now my background. And my housemates background. I changed it while he was sleeping.

Do you have more of any of the characters?

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
Well, since Plaz mentioned statistics, I figured I'd estimate the average damage per turn for Team Might and Team Magic. I've omitted Rip, Bella, and Manuel because their classes seem more support oriented, and also I was less sure of what abilities those three have. I figured Rip and Bella's would roughly cancel out anyway since they're both Bards.

I made some guesses and estimations in a lot of places, and only really looked at a few of the higher damage-dealing abilities for each class, so things may not be entirely accurate (or may even be wildly inaccurate in some cases), but allow me to explain what I did here anyway. First of all, I assumed the party was level 6, which I think is right, but I might be off by a level in either direction, I ignored feats, talents, class features, and racial abilities (with a few exceptions), because it was simpler that way. Starting with Scarlett, at level 6, Wizards get 10 spells per day, 8 at 5th level and 2 at 3rd level. I figured it was a safe assumption that half of those spells could be heavy damage dealers (all at 5th level), and the other half could be support or utility. Since Wizards change around their spells every full heal-'em-up, I just picked some strong ones that I think I remember Drakel using. Ray of Frost is a strong, single-target At Will ability, and the other four are even more powerful multi-target attacks. I took the average damage for each roll, as well as the max damage in the event that Scarlett used Evocation. To get the average damage, I took the average roll multiplied by the average number of targets (for Force Salvo I assumed an Int mod of 6), and did similarly for the average evoked damage. For maximum damage I assumed max damage on all targets. The way I calculated the estimated damage/turn is a bit more complicated. First of all, I assumed an adventuring day would be four battles averaging four rounds in length, so each character would get 16 turns. So for Scarlett, I took one turn for each daily, and then the rest for Ray of Frost. In general I estimated players would be hitting two-thirds of the time, but for high-powered daily attacks, I assumed they would be used at a time where hitting would be more or less ensured, either from escalation bonuses or bonuses given from other characters. I also assumed the each daily would be evoked since Evocation can be used once per battle, so one daily could be used in each battle. Ultimately, the damage/turn took the sum of the average evoked damage for each daily divided by 16, plus the average damage for Ray of Frost times 1/2, plus the miss damage for Ray of Frost times 1/4. This probably results in a higher estimate than reality since it's very generous when it comes to hitting with dailies, and it assumes that every turn is spent casting an offensive spell, one daily is used each battle, and there are always at least the average number of targets for each attack.

Mint's calculations were similar to Scarlett's, but with Evocation being replaced by Gather Power to double the damage from an attack. For Ongoing Damage, I assumed enemies saved on their second roll. Sorcerers seem to have fewer big damage daily spells than Wizards, but I ended up examining Breath of the Black and Three Dooms as dailies, and the other three as at wills. Again, I assumed dailies hit and were powered up (making sure to weigh this as taking two turns, since one has to be spent on Gather Power), and assumed a 2/3 hit chance for the at wills. I weighted Chaos Pulse and Bolt a little more heavily than Scorching Ray since they do more damage, but really I don't know if what I measured was all that close to what medibot actually uses when.

Margaret and Nav were a bit easier. I assumed they used d10 weapons and had +6 damage modifiers. Since Rangers don't really have powers, I just used a basic attack roll for Margaret's average damage, with a 50% chance to get a second one, again using a 2/3 chance to hit. For damage/turn, I took the average damage and multiplied it roughly by the chance to get an extra turn from Elven Grace. For the sake of simplicity, I assumed an average of 1.5 Elven Graces per battle since I was assuming 4-round battles, but I've posted more accurate information on the odds of it activating on a given turn below.

For Nav, I again assumed a d10 weapon and +6 damage mod. There were only two Rogue abilities I saw that really affected damage output, Deadly Thrust which gives a higher hit chance, and Bleeding Strike which does more ongoing damage. Damage/turn was estimated by assuming half the turns were spent using Deadly Thrust, the other half using Bleeding Strike, again with a 2/3 hit chance, and Sneak Attack dealing damage when appropriate.

Taking these estimates, I saw that Scarlett does more damage than Margaret, and Mint does more than Nav, so my conclusion is that Team Magic is stronger than Team Might, and that Wizards are pretty great.

For a prediction, how about the gang gets captured by insane fans of Rip and Bella, and they all have to put on an impromptu concert.

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

This is a lot of math and good job on the analysis however as a member of Team Might I will have to say that you're missing one peice of crucial evidence. Bella destroyed a freaking Naga with a one-two punch.

A Wooden Palisade
May 23, 2009

WolfShirt posted:

This is a lot of math and good job on the analysis however as a member of Team Might I will have to say that you're missing one peice of crucial evidence. Bella destroyed a freaking Naga with a one-two punch.

And let's not forget that Scarlett faints at the start of every fight and has to beg me to help her back up. When was the last time you've seen me get knocked down?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

A Wooden Palisade posted:

And let's not forget that Scarlett faints at the start of every fight and has to beg me to help her back up. When was the last time you've seen me get knocked down?

The naga fight? Clearly if you had magic you wouldn't have been slammed like a big nerd by a big magic snake.

A Wooden Palisade
May 23, 2009

I still had like 1 HP though.

And I own the place.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I didn't manage to get any work on this done over the weekend, but here's a taster of the direction I'm thinking in:

The day was long, the stones had tumbled,
The teasels waving tall in air,
And in the hall a promise did glimmer
Of attack rolls never fumbled.
Margaret was standing there
with music played by bella fair,
drawn tight as paper, her bow of hair,
Her fury at a simmer.

It'll probably end up being fairly long, and is (as always - I'm too lazy to write original material) a resin of tolkein's Lay of Luthien. But about the gang. Especially about Elves. and ex elves And a Gnoll , sorry "And a dashing adventurer"

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Lethemonster posted:

This is now my background. And my housemates background. I changed it while he was sleeping.

Do you have more of any of the characters?

Thanks! I also did this one and for the last thread I did this one.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

:siren:

Let's play The Thirteenth Age Session 36 part 1: Indelicate Infiltration

The Elements... sneak..? into the base beneath Moonwatch in search of their good ol' buddy Mint. Things seem to go perfectly right up until they, quite suddenly, do not.

Music: Persona 4
"Youthful Lunch"
"Secret Base"
"Long Way"

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Ah yes, your greatest weakness: reasonable competence!

WolfShirt
May 8, 2007

General Ironicus posted:

Ah yes, your greatest weakness: reasonable competence!

That one guard is the most powerful antgonist I've ever encountered in a tabletop session.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope

WolfShirt posted:

That one guard is the most powerful antgonist I've ever encountered in a tabletop session.

I don't understand how you all had such a hard time with that guy. I just walked in past him, and he didn't seem to mind at all.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
Oh god even more numbers for me to count. As if I wasn't having a hard time as is. I might not have thought through the kill count idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

Garbonix posted:

Oh god even more numbers for me to count. As if I wasn't having a hard time as is. I might not have thought through the kill count idea.

hey, bub. mr. benny franklin and his presidential friends here say they already did the research and team might won by a landslide.

• Locked thread