Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Crosswinds make for some hairy-looking landings, but the landing gear is designed to take it.

Does this count as drifting a 747? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnL4KYVtDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Diagnostic procedure:

1. Is there public footage of the landing?
- if YES, proceed to 2. Initiate Detailed Inspection
- if NO, proceed to 102a. Probably Fine (Whew)

2. FOQA program analysis. Thank god it's non punishable, but an ASAP report highly recommended.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

SlapActionJackson posted:

Crosswinds make for some hairy-looking landings, but the landing gear is designed to take it.

Does this count as drifting a 747? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtnL4KYVtDE

Kai Tak had an amazing approach procedure.

http://unforbiddingcity.com/2013/03/24/checkerboard-hill-and-the-crazy-kai-tak-airport-approach/

This article is great explanation for folks that don't normally read approach plates just how insane this approach was.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would describe that as completely insane. And awesome.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Riscas posted:

Well it's definitely gonna need new tires in the back.

And new crew seats, if they can't recover them from Cap and co-pilot's asses.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've been a passenger during a landing in very turbulent crosswinds once. It's definitely one of the most pants-making GBS threads moments in my life.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Collateral Damage posted:

I've been a passenger during a landing in very turbulent crosswinds once. It's definitely one of the most pants-making GBS threads moments in my life.

My dad was in one that landed hard enough to collapse the gear on one side, sending the plane skidding off the runway on its wing. This did not help my youthful fear of flying.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Not that it even remotely compares to landing a 200 ton aircraft, but I did once let out a little bit of butt butter doing a crosswind landing in a piper warrior, when a gust of wind almost blew me off the centerline of the runway. I'm was and still am a very new student pilot and probably should have waved off the approach anyway, but that sealed it.

I need to start flying again drat it :(

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
That first video, I am impressed at the flying that guy did. For all intents he did a hell of a job keeping the bird *mostly* stable.

That seemed to be the absolute ragged edge of safe to land though.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

EightBit posted:

Until that plane gets almost to the ground you could believe it was VTOL. That pilot must have trouble sitting with balls like that.

This is mostly a function of the crazy long zoom, I think.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
wrong thread

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
My VW bus has had sloppy steering since I got. Now I know why.

That is the lower bearing race of the input shaft.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wow. It looks like someone welded something on there. Or are we talking about the [concave?] ring behind it? I'm having a hard time mentally parsing the picture.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
I don't think that problem was going to fix it's self

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

I saw this today and thought of you all:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

I don't see any failure here. I see AI.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

nitrogen posted:

This is the lowest effort Bosozoku exhaust.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I can't hate inappropriate flappers on exhausts.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Geirskogul posted:

Wow. It looks like someone welded something on there. Or are we talking about the [concave?] ring behind it? I'm having a hard time mentally parsing the picture.

That part that looks like a weld is a heavily spalled bearing race.

There was a very thick puddle of fine metal flakes in the low point on the steering gearbox. Rest of the box looked immaculate considering it is 37 years old.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cakefool posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGlOuk4wEn8

pretty much the best really.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I need to get video of my friend's '71 Dodge D300 dually with the most low-effort redneck stacks I've ever seen. The two pipes are maybe 1 3/4" in diameter and the engine still doesn't produce enough backpressure to keep the flappers open, so it sounds like skeletons loving in a pile of rusty spoons while it idles. Funniest poo poo ever, I think I pissed off the PO when we bought it by laughing so much.

Once it's running again the first thing I'm doing is taking a hacksaw to those stacks.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 23, 2014

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Cakefool posted:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's so beautiful.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Had a lucky? Mechanical failure on fri night. Went to lake placid from longisland with my gfs family in their Denali. Left at six got there at eleven and right as we enter the block the the right front wheel bearing goes in a very loud way had it fixed the next day for 500 at a local shop.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

I cant imagine what would cause the truck's wheels to suddenly escape.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tentative8e8op posted:

Wheels, hell. That's the whole godamned axle.

See also; American Graffiti.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So your AC compressor seized but the clutch is fine? Well...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Was fine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't worry, it's a Brembo AC clutch.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

tentative8e8op posted:

Sometimes it just happens.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What's that? Rearends falling out of trucks you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYsMXk-OR18

It isn't only trucks, either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjE-wHsjZ_E

Really though he probably hadn't maintained the rear suspension properly and hit a pothole and the brakes at the same time or something and it just overstressed it.

e: remember the rearend in the roadkill ratrod charger thrashing around under heavy braking in the latest episode? Yep, if they don't stiffen up the rear leafs or put a traction bar in it, eventually it will do something like this, or just ruin the leafsprings.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

tentative8e8op posted:

Now I have the "Lowrider" song in my head after watching that

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

:stare: That uh...says a lot about the power transmission properties of that belt at least.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Looks like the rear has some non-Euclidean geometry, now :haw:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Every time I look at it, this photo makes the hair on the back of my neck go up. :stonklol:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

Every time I look at it, this photo makes the hair on the back of my neck go up. :stonklol:

It took me a minute. I thought it was just some part that was painted red or something. Then I took a closer look, and it's a red hot piece of metal isn't it? I don't have enough knowledge to know what that's supposed to look like, but I'm betting "glowing" is not the correct state for an AC part.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

drat hose from the grease gun. After I sung it's good graces even.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Funzo posted:

It took me a minute. I thought it was just some part that was painted red or something. Then I took a closer look, and it's a red hot piece of metal isn't it? I don't have enough knowledge to know what that's supposed to look like, but I'm betting "glowing" is not the correct state for an AC part.

It is the compressor on the Ac system. It is driven by the engine belt but has to cycle on and off so there is an electrically controlled clutch built into the pulley. If you listen to your car when the ac is on you can hear it turn on and off, normally with a click, a whirring noise from the spinning compressor. and a change in the engine noise because it has to do more work to power the load.

The compressor in the photo is seized and will not turn. When the clutch engaged something had to give and it looks like the clutch started slipping and making huge amounts of heat from friction. I am pretty impressed that the belt didn't slip. The person probably would have stopped driving it or at least turned off the ac if it had because belt slipping noises are just plain awful.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

The person probably would have stopped driving it or at least turned off the ac if it had because belt slipping noises are just plain awful.

Not in cold weather areas, belts start shrieking and people just rev the throttle until it warms up enough to silence itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Not in cold weather areas, belts start shrieking and people just rev the throttle until it warms up enough to silence itself.

Yeah, if you're out walking here and it's below -10 you can A. hear Fords approaching from a mile away because their power steering is howling and B. hear any car that's over 5 years old because the belt is making the sound of a baby seal getting stabbed in the eye.