Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That's a great point, too.

e- new page content upgrade

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ummm... well, Jacques Villeneuve is gonna run the Indy 500 with Schmidt.

http://racer.com/index.php/52-indycar/101413-indycar-jacques-villeneuve-to-return-to-indy-500-with-schmidt-peterson-motorsports

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I was just thinking that I'd like to see JV give Indycar another shot. Good driver, even if his reputation is kind of shot at this point.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Cars may have been unsafe in the past but at least they crippled or killed our heroes before they became "that guy" who didn't know when to gracefully exit their careers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

Cars may have been unsafe in the past but at least they crippled or killed our heroes before they became "that guy" who didn't know when to gracefully exit their careers.

The 1992 Indy 500 had Gordon Johncock, Al Unser Sr, Mario Andretti, and AJ Foyt starting in it, with a combined age of around 500.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
All 3 looked incredibly silly by that point, too, especially AJ.

His temper got less impressive when he started hobbling and slapping instead of running and punching.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

VikingSkull posted:

JV owns. JV vs. JPM at Indy is going to own.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean, seriously, JV is 42. That's silly for Formula One, but Indycar's had a history of people running fairly competitively into their 40s.

The guy was a sunny day away from being the only modern triple-crowner (and I really hope he gets another shot at it), give him a chance.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm not making GBS threads on JV in particular and he definitely has a shot at being competitive, it's just an overall thought that popped to mind.

If he wins or is impressive, good on him, but if he sucks add his name to the miles long list of "dudes who went to Indy at the end of their career and were horribly disappointed, or worse".

e- also he hasn't been in an open wheel car for like a decade, that's never a good thing

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

He's past his prime, but you know..I kind of like it.

Also, it's hilarious to see all the old Crapwagon fans cry about him coming back. Villenevue was one of the last guys they held onto as someone who was a racing "purist", who'd NEVER drive in the "IRL".

Seriously though. Will be cool to see him around IMS for the month of may.

I do hope the next bit of news we hear though is about Conor getting a ride :smith:.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Let's play some music to celebrate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXbiBdWLoDg

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The 1992 Indy 500 had Gordon Johncock, Al Unser Sr, Mario Andretti, and AJ Foyt starting in it, with a combined age of around 500.

It's gotta be said that times have changed considerably; I don't know if the over 40s can compete effectively anymore.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I mean, seriously, JV is 42. That's silly for Formula One, but Indycar's had a history of people running fairly competitively into their 40s.

The guy was a sunny day away from being the only modern triple-crowner (and I really hope he gets another shot at it), give him a chance.

It's not even THAT silly for F1.

He wasn't the driver he once was of course but Michael Schumacher retired at that age, Nigel Mansell was winning in F1 at 41/42.

Different era in Nigel's case I guess.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, while aero was definitely a thing in the early 90's, somehow I'm pretty sure that the G loads drivers experience today is much greater than what it was twenty years ago.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, while aero was definitely a thing in the early 90's, somehow I'm pretty sure that the G loads drivers experience today is much greater than what it was twenty years ago.

Not to mention the physical demands of driving the DW12 since it doesn't have power steering.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

To me? It's always good to see a guy like him involved with the sport of Indycar and the Indy 500 again.

You WANT former Champions, and World Driving Champions banging on the door to be in this race. Just as you want a guy who has a USAC Triple Crown title to his credit, or a Cup Championship.

It'd be pretty amazing if we could get him further involved with the sport. (maybe he can drag his old team owner out of retirement to help co-fund a team that promotes Canadian Drivers? Dare to dream!)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, its the Indy 500. Old winners/champs coming back just for the race is one of my fav parts. Still remember when Big Al came back in 92 and ended up with a top 3.

I just never expected JV... gonna be ridic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

Really? I mean, the 1992 cars were running faster lap times with a sharper turning radius, thanks to the apron still being there.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
2014 Indy 500: More Blue Tarps Than Sochi

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Really? I mean, the 1992 cars were running faster lap times with a sharper turning radius, thanks to the apron still being there.

Those cars were putting down much faster trap speeds than current cars but were slower though the corners. Also the cars that could run faster lap times were (with a couple exceptions, namely the Newman/Haas cars) running the Buick V6. (Most of) the cars with engines that could go the full 500 miles without turning themselves into a pile of slag weren't any faster than the current cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

And were it not for the head injury, Dario had at least another few years in him. I could see him still competitve in the 500 at 42. 47 like Al Unser at his last win, might be a stretch, but I think that says more about the depth of the current field.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

KingShibby posted:

Not to mention the physical demands of driving the DW12 since it doesn't have power steering.

What ever happened to the upgrade that Dallara had spec'd for the cars? I heard they had a drop-in unit that would cost $5K. Is the ICS really keeping them out of the cars knowing how many broken wrists it's been responsible for?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

McMadCow posted:

What ever happened to the upgrade that Dallara had spec'd for the cars? I heard they had a drop-in unit that would cost $5K. Is the ICS really keeping them out of the cars knowing how many broken wrists it's been responsible for?

Pretty sure that'll be a 2015 thing

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The cars aren't getting power steering (thank god), but they are getting a steering damper in the linkage and a revised upright block. Neither are ready yet, but Dallara has made prototypes for both and they are testing em (a team ran the damper at Sebring this offseason for data).

The teams also have the revised aluminum steering arms as an option, some teams already ran them last year. The series is not going to make them mandatory because they do feel slightly different to the drivers, especially at the super speedways, so its up to the teams/drivers to decide if its worth it to them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Graham's paint. I like it.

Also Panther is suing everyone under the sun to try to get the Guard sponsorship back, gently caress john barnes.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Cygni posted:

Also Panther is suing everyone under the sun to try to get the Guard sponsorship back, gently caress john barnes.
John Barnes loving used SUPPORT ARE TROOPS :911: as justification for sacking Hildebrand. To hell with him. I hope someone finds a hidden stash of nose candy when they auction his poo poo off.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

Rightest post in the thread so far on all counts - that's a slick looking car. Seems a bit like that awesome paint scheme that Newgarden ran for entirely too few races last year.

Fun fact, since this is federal money, the denial is public record! I think the fact that RLL is asking for $5M less than Panther is a lot of the decision maker.

Reading through it more, a large part of Panther's protest (and probably why they are suing Indycar) is they have/had some sort of exclusivity with regards to being physically in the Indycar Fan Zone they set up at the track. Being in the fan zone is a requirement of the sponsor contract, and both RLL and Indycar said that RLL will be in there, despite whatever contract Panther has.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 25, 2014

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fun fact, since this is federal money, the denial is public record! I think the fact that RLL is asking for $5M less than Panther is a lot of the decision maker.

That's $5M less a year. Also, that whole table says it all.

Even if RLL were asking $1-2M more than Panther I think they still would have gotten it over Panther just due to the fact they know how to manage a sponsorship better (aka "Understanding requirements" and "soundness of approach")

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 26, 2014

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
As a rule I don't wish bad things on people, but I'm willing to make an exception for John Barnes. Seriously, the dude is the epitome of human garbage.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kilonum posted:

That's $5M less a year. Also, that whole table says it all.

Even if RLL were asking $1-2M more than Panther I think they still would have gotten it over Panther just due to the fact they know how to manage a sponsorship better (aka "Understanding requirements" and "soundness of approach")

Exactly. I mean if you asked pretty much anyone in IndyCar if they would rather sponsor RLL or Panther for equal money, everyone would say RLL. For a 30% discount? Uhhh.

Plus on that Qualifications of Personnel line, if looking at just the on-track staff, I dont think they really deserve to be equal. RLL has an American driver with a win and 2 poles, Bill Pappas, and John Dick all on staff. Panther has no driver (was testing a Columbian pay driver?), and fired their Chief Engineer (David Cripps) halfway through last year. So yeah.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
No news on the title sponsor yet?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Panther won't win anything in court unless they can prove corruption, which is an extreme long stretch.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

KingShibby posted:

Panther won't win anything in court unless they can prove corruption, which is an extreme long stretch.

Yeah, I'm sure IndyCar would be smart enough to put in the contract that the Fan Zone exclusivity thing is provisional on having the National Guard sponsorship in the first place.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Uncle Jam posted:

No news on the title sponsor yet?
The drivers have been hinting around that something big is coming soon, sounds like they've been briefed on it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm a little concerned on three fronts for Indy.

One is, of course, marketing.

The other two have to be with the fact that there's no new teams entering the series, and it seems difficult for new talent (Read: Conor Daly, Sage Karem) to break in.

With the loss of Panther, it's not a good thing. For as slimey as Barnes was, he did provide a seat within the series.

You need guys willing to throw money at a series, and with IndyCar the amount is becoming a little smaller.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Are we pretending that Conor Daly is the savior of open wheel racing?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Frankly, driver continuity is much more important to me and the series than giving every guy that can win single races in lower series a chance. Driver continuity makes it much easier to be a casual fan, it makes casual fans feel more connected, and it sells more hats, tshirts, and tickets.

The number of teams in the series has shrunk a little this year, but nothing crazy. It's easy to forget that RLL, Herta, and Fisher werent even full time teams a few years ago. Teams come and go. And frankly, if I was a team on the edge of my budget, I would be holding out for 2015 anyway.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/exclusive-cosworth-seeks-return-to-indycar-possible-one-for-f1/

Ford branded Cosworths anyone?

anyone?

Well we know that KV would be running them. (kind of hard not to when your owner is involved in the company)

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Kilonum posted:

IndyCar ... smart enough

LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/26/exclusive-cosworth-seeks-return-to-indycar-possible-one-for-f1/

Ford branded Cosworths anyone?

anyone?

Well we know that KV would be running them. (kind of hard not to when your owner is involved in the company)

I'd support it on the sole basis that it's another engine manufacturer getting into the mix, but it being Cosworth is extra nice.

• Locked thread