Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

eviltastic posted:

Personally, when I think of biblical epic films from Hollywood, the first ones that come to mind are ones that made a shitload of money.

I have only seen parts, but growing up there was always a channel playing The Ten Commandments at Easter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Air is lava! posted:

I don't know what to think of this. On the first glance, that elephant looks sorta educated. But if you examine it more closely you'll see that he is talking about the laffer curve which doesn't even make sense in this context.
If I am not mistaken, the laffer curve is only applyable to tax rates. And even there it is highly controversial.
Therefore he is pretty much just smugly spouting platitudes.

The laffer curve is complete bunk. . I mean, it sounds nice and simple (and we're what, 22 points behind it?) and it's a good way to appear economically literate while promoting fundamentally decent public policy leading to social democracy... but it's still not real economics. Though the logic is certainly consistent, (as even econ profs will admit) that logic is very flawed in some instances - humans have never nor will likely ever function on perfect reason and information. Basing policy decisions of a hypothetical curve of rate v return derived from logic that often contradicts empirical evidence is lovely policy making, and it bothers me that the vast majority of the anti-tax crowd nonetheless trot out a hypothesis.

Also, Laffer is a crock and his theories aren't considered to be at all useful by most schools because he has absolutely no quantifiable data to support his claims. The Laffer curve has the academic evidence of Young Earth Creationism.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 24, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

eviltastic posted:

Personally, when I think of biblical epic films from Hollywood, the first ones that come to mind are ones that made a shitload of money.
I think of Prince of Egypt which is good because that movie owns all the bones, though in retrospect Jeff Goldblum should have been Moses seeing how Moses was described as having a stutter and Aaron being more well spoken. Though that would make the conversation with God and Moses being awkwardly hilarious with Jeff umming and ahhing to himself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

You've been pushing too many pencils, Dillon. Had enough? :smug:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

eviltastic posted:

Doesn't Passion of the Christ hold the record for highest domestic box office earnings?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fulchrum posted:

Doesn't Passion of the Christ hold the record for highest domestic box office earnings?
It cost 30 million to make and made 370 million domestically. So probably, but mostly because it was so cheap.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah but that wasn't made by Atheist Hollywood, it was made by the small-time indie Christian filmmaker Mel Gibson, bless his heart.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Fulchrum posted:

A quick googling tells me it's #25. Unless you adjust for inflation, at which point it's beaten handily by films like The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I've been looking over international cartoons trying to see if anyone was defending Yanukovych, to no avail. Maybe Russian cartoonists would, though I don't think Cagle has any on his site and I don't know where to find any Russian political cartoons. If anyone can find any, please post them.

I checked a few online versions of Russian and Ukrainian papers and couldn't find much in the way of cartoons at all. Novye Izvestia has a gallery but 95% of them are boring Olympics drawings. (Though there is one guy who really likes suggesting that Russian men would rather watch soccer than look at naked women)

I did find a few from the last elections:

"For what?" "I only stole"
The most "pro-Yanukovych" one here is just an attack on Yulia Tymoshenko.

The puppetmaster on the left is labeled "Donetskians." Donetsk Oblast has a pretty big Russian population and Yanukovych was the governor for a while. The puppetmaster on the right is "Gasmen" - a reference to Gazprom and Russian influence presumably.

"You are lying!" "You won't take it!"
This is what I imagine Dees's photoshops would look like if he were sane

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

I don't know what to think of this. On the first glance, that elephant looks sorta educated. But if you examine it more closely you'll see that he is talking about the laffer curve which doesn't even make sense in this context.
If I am not mistaken, the laffer curve is only applyable to tax rates. And even there it is highly controversial.
Therefore he is pretty much just smugly spouting platitudes.
But a right wing reader which doesn't have a big grasp on economy beyond Free Market might read this as: "Look at those near sighted workers, only thinking for themselves. Don't they know about those smart things?"
What is this what's going on?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I was considering in what ways you could read this cartoon, since it feels somewhat ambigious.
I'm sorry, if that sounded weird. Was that post really that bad? :ohdear:

tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay

Mordiceius posted:

Unironically this. Most people that are out there arguing religion only pay attention to or disregard the New Covenant as it suits their argument.

I'm pretty sure the only part of the New Covenant that those types ever pay one iota of attention to is that Jesus delivered it and that he is the Christ. That way that means they get to go to heaven while ignoring everything he taught in order to cling to the more vicious proscriptions of Leviticus to justify their personal hangups.

e: Or so they think. I'm atheist myself so maybe I'm way off base, but it seems to me that an all-powerful being wouldn't be thrilled by a cadre of shitheel followers purposely ignoring what "accepting Jesus" actually means because they think they're super smart and found a loophole in the divine system.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lenisto posted:

"For what?" "I only stole"
The most "pro-Yanukovych" one here is just an attack on Yulia Tymoshenko.

To be fair, Tymoshenko's corruption record makes Yanukovych look almost tolerable.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

[quote="Ammat The Ankh" post="426153558"]

Why the gently caress did his boss hire an unnecessary employee, sounds like a lovely businessman.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Drawing the third employee hairier, fatter, with rings around the eyes and a slumped over grouchy posture does not really help to make the reader sympathize. Your art actively works against your message here.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Axetrain posted:

Why the gently caress did his boss hire an unnecessary employee, sounds like a lovely businessman.

See businesses hire as many people as they can afford not as many people as they need to turn a profit and meet their demand, whenever wages or taxes go up they fire all those extra people because they are forced to by the evil government.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

eviltastic posted:

A quick googling tells me it's #25. Unless you adjust for inflation, at which point it's beaten handily by films like The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur.
That's top grossing, simply the amount of money it makes. When you subtract the production costs it compares well against the hundred million dollar features above it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Iron Rose posted:

The laffer curve is complete bunk. . I mean, it sounds nice and simple (and we're what, 22 points behind it?) and it's a good way to appear economically literate while promoting fundamentally decent public policy leading to social democracy... but it's still not real economics. Though the logic is certainly consistent, (as even econ profs will admit) that logic is very flawed in some instances - humans have never nor will likely ever function on perfect reason and information. Basing policy decisions of a hypothetical curve of rate v return derived from logic that often contradicts empirical evidence is lovely policy making, and it bothers me that the vast majority of the anti-tax crowd nonetheless trot out a hypothesis.

Also, Laffer is a crock and his theories aren't considered to be at all useful by most schools because he has absolutely no quantifiable data to support his claims. The Laffer curve has the academic evidence of Young Earth Creationism.

Is there any relation between the Laffer curve and its related theories and the Efficient Market Hypothesis?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Basic math here.

Three employees at 7.25 USD/Hour = 21.75 USD/Hour

Two employees at 10.10 USD/Hour = 20.20 USD/Hour

The employer is saving FIFTY-FIVE CENTS an hour! Why do republicans hate job creators?

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

I keep bumping into folks who bend my ear with bizarre theories attempting to explain the American administration's policy in the region. I don't have a theory. I only have a question. And it's the punch line of today's cartoon.
Time and supplies are both limited.
Order Your Dry Bones Haggadah Now: store.drybones.com
Labels: America, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Islam, Islamism, Lebanon, Libya, Nukes, Obama, Russia, Sinai, Syria, terror, Terrorism

Libya is under controll of Terrorist...What the gently caress is this mental midget on about now!?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Lysdexique posted:

Barry likes big hypocrisy and he cannot lie.

Where the hell is RusselBrand.jpg?

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

itskage posted:

Where the hell is RusselBrand.jpg?

I thought of that too. Brand's a rare example of someone who I prefer as an activist - never got into his comedy but he seems like a real stand-up guy. :downsrim:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

colonel_korn posted:

Darren Aronofsky's "Noah" is indeed the athiest movie I've ever seen.

This movie is going to be a TITANIC-scale disaster!

Uh, Titanic like the boat. Not the historically successful movie.

Hmm, maybe this wasn't the best metaphor.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mellow Seas posted:

This movie is going to be a TITANIC-scale disaster!

Uh, Titanic like the boat. Not the historically successful movie.

Hmm, maybe this wasn't the best metaphor.

Well, there weren't any other movies which focus on a boat sinking that he could have used instead. Especially not any in recent memory. Especially not massive failures.

What?

No, that wasn't a thing.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

I'm still mad at this one.

Businesses just don't do this, apart from small businesses run by idiots who can't balance books. Not only because a well-managed business already has a workforce appropriate to its needs, but because if you fire a dude you need (and you need him, that's why you hired him, idiot), you overextend your other employees, which results in
  • decreased job satisfaction
  • increased turnover rate, leading to productivity lost in training new employees
  • increased likelihood of workplace accidents
  • increase in stress-related illnesses
  • decreased customer satisfaction
  • basically a whole lot of poo poo that in the long run costs more than a couple hundred bucks' worth saved payroll
So, really, gently caress this weird premise that increased wages immediately and irremediably leads to increased unemployment.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Somfin posted:

Well, there weren't any other movies which focus on a boat sinking that he could have used instead. Especially not any in recent memory. Especially not massive failures.

What?

No, that wasn't a thing.

You and I have very different definitions of recent.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Mehuyael posted:

Funny edit, but I knew immediately that something was wrong about it.

Catching up on 150 new posts and you already beat me to this edit

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KillerJunglist posted:

I too get songs stuck in my head sometimes.

I can't believe I was beaten for this exact edit.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Businesses just don't do this, apart from small businesses run by idiots who can't balance books. Not only because a well-managed business already has a workforce appropriate to its needs, but because if you fire a dude you need (and you need him, that's why you hired him, idiot), you overextend your other employees, which results in
  • increased turnover rate, leading to productivity lost in training new employees
  • basically a whole lot of poo poo that in the long run costs more than a couple hundred bucks' worth saved payroll
So, really, gently caress this weird premise that increased wages immediately and irremediably leads to increased unemployment.

If you wanted a lovely anti-minimum wage talking point, wouldn't the easier one be something like "now I make $200 more a week... and then spend $210 more a week on food, paying to employ people with a higher wage" It's still bunk but at least it's kind of related to how a business might act.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 25, 2014

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Purchasing power isn't a zero-sum game, hope that helps you in your quest for knowledge.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

achillesforever6 posted:

People were pissed at the apparent "environmentalist message" in the film, but this movie is also taking stuff from the Book of Eibon and also having angels that are bibically accurate aka loving terrifying divine abominations

FEAR NOT

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

There's a drat good reason that's almost always the first thing an angelic manifestation says, in all books of the bible.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fulchrum posted:

...For a rated-R movie. The back and forth on this kinda bothered me.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

The Iron Rose posted:

The laffer curve is complete bunk. . I mean, it sounds nice and simple (and we're what, 22 points behind it?)

This is what kills me, even if you assume the Laffer Curve isn't bullshit, it still says we should raise taxes. The Republicans can't even bullshit their own data correctly. Of course, they're working backward from "taxes should be lower", so they'll never arrive at "raise taxes", even if that's what the proper course of action should be. (It is.:ssh:)

Lysdexique posted:

Barry likes big hypocrisy and he cannot lie.
God this is ugly. The art, the lines, Obama's two and three fingered hands, Michelle's giant dress; seriously, compare the dress to her little stick arms, one of which looks longer than the other. Jesus, Gary is a horrible artist.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wait, poo poo. Wrong thread for Dobson edits. It's reflex at this point.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Plus, in the US at least, it is fairly expensive to lay someone off. You're charged a certain amount per prior employee collecting UI.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Ego Trip posted:

Plus, in the US at least, it is fairly expensive to lay someone off. You're charged a certain amount per prior employee collecting UI.

What if you fire someone forever instead of laying them off, then do you have to pay UI?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

Wait, poo poo. Wrong thread for Dobson edits. It's reflex at this point.

The sweat is because he's heard they don't do Christmas in Israel :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The "GOD MICHELLE OBAMA IS SO FAT" cartoons are so patently absurd. It feels like the cartoonists thought "poo poo, I could make a million cartoons about how she's a hypocrite for supporting healthy food if she was fat. ....gently caress it, I'll do it anyway."

• Locked thread