Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

"No! You can't cut the military budget!!!!!" screams the guy that supported two wars without a hint of understanding how said wars led to said budget cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

vyelkin posted:

It's the second 'here are the most requested cartoons' cartoon in the OP.

Oh dammit. I looked over the OP twice and missed it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

That's okay, we all miss stuff all the time! :)

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

This is the funniest thing I've seen in years.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
The next funniest, of course, is this:

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I want to frame this and put it on my wall.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

Nap Ghost
When it comes to spending, the social safety net outranks the military, A Blah Blah You Know The Rest

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I really love Nick Anderson sometimes

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

He labeled the plane! Ughh...

I normally try to avoid the comments, but I just had to see for this one:

Tom in Michigan • an hour ago posted:

Just to let you all know, last time we cut to these levels the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and, the Germans declared war.

We sent our boys out to face them armed with WWI-era Springfield rifles and British-styled helmets. Our fliers were no match for the Japanese Zeros or German Messerschmidts in their Brewster Buffaloes and P-40 Warhawks.

The Germans rolled to the English Channel and, the Japanese virtually conquered the Western Pacific.

LUCKILY, Detroit was in a position to quickly take up the slack created by the FDR administration's poorly timed defense cuts.

"Google images" of Detroit today and let me know your level of confidence in a repeat performance by the erstwhile "Arsenal of Democracy after 60 years of John Dingell-style "governance."

:psyduck:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I love the idea of the U.S. Military being lean and efficient, rather than bloated and disgustingly spoiled like it is in loving reality.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

When I first saw this I read "entitlements" as useless bullshit the military doesn't need versus benefits for actual soldiers. Almost A Good Cartoon.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The Iron Rose posted:

I still read it every time it gets reposted, and it still sends chills down my spine. Even if Ward Sutton had never donned his Kelly mask, I'd love him forever because of this comic.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

The next funniest, of course, is this:

I forgot all about this amazing thing

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm still not entirely sure what's supposed to chill me about that comic. The detachment of the onlookers? What's that guy hoping for? Who in the general population has the skills or helicopter to go up and grab him?

I guess it's because 9/11 hit when my country was peaking in anti-americanism. My feelings back then (and now) regarding the incident are more or less schadenfreude and 'delayed retribution'.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 27, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm still not entirely sure what's supposed to chill me about that comic. The detachment of the onlookers? What's that guy hoping for? Who in the general population has the skills or helicopter to go up and grab him?

I guess it's because 9/11 hit when my country was peaking in anti-americanism. My feelings back then (and now) regarding the incident are more or less schadenfreude and 'delayed retribution'.

He wants someone to see him as a human being, an individual, while the cartoonist points out that he's going to only ever be remembered as a part of a vague statistic that everyone else will use as a prop to advance their personal causes. It's partly chilling in how it demonstrates the monolithic position 9/11 has in the national consciences, which I can understand not getting if you're a foreigner.

Of course the real chilling part is how it's a reminder that every person dies alone and once you're gone the core of who you are fades away and all that's left are distorted memories and views of you. Which is part of the human condition and I'm don't think nationality should really play into 'getting it'.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

How did the Tea Party guy get the rhino horn on the elephant? Why did the elephant let him do it?

(And who does the cartoonist think doesn't know the definition of RINO?)

WarpedNaba posted:

Seriously, go gently caress yourself.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Comics like this make me want Obama to just stop giving a poo poo one day and just be a sarcastic gently caress "Yup, I'm literally cutting all military spending and selling every single existing weapon. Our military force will now be equipped with nerf guns, rocks and old lawn darts. Our new military strategy will be to piss our pants in fear and every soldier who actually injures an enemy will be put on trial. You got me guys."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

cafel posted:

Of course the real chilling part is how it's a reminder that every person dies alone and once you're gone the core of who you are fades away and all that's left are distorted memories and views of you.

You motherfucker, I was about to try to go to bed. Welp, no sleep for me, too terrified of non-existence.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

He is a man who is about to die and knows it. Your supposed to put your self in his shoes, standing on the top floor of a burning building, knowing your about to die. But instead of trying to grasp the haunting last thoughts often associated with one's last minute-your last phone call to your mother, saying goodbye to your brother in the morning, your child-you get visions of people fetishizing your literal oncoming violent death. I don't see how that isn't chilling

-because it's American? I mean it would work and still be chilling, albeit have a different political focus, if it was a young German soldier in a collapsed building in Dresden or perhaps a Bagdad housewife burning as well IMO

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

:colbert: gently caress you, Glenn

Not surprised he's a Batman fan though.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

How are we going to keep the rest of NATO in line if we don't dwarf the military spending of every other member combined?

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 22, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

The thing about all these is that military spending is going to go up, just personnel will go down. They are still going to buy the hugely expensive crap like the F-35, but they want to do things like axe the commissary program (a program that plays a core part in keeping only 900k military families on food stamps)

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just love the chaos in this one.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

For what? I mean, what are you under the impression that those people in that building did to your country? Are you even aware of how much of the population in New York are immigrants? A not insignificant amount of people who died in those buildings weren't even eligible to vote on policies that you are supposedly still twerked about, and of those that were a fair majority would have been opposed to the US foreign policy, NYC is one of the more liberal cities in the country especially when it comes to national politics.

I mean do you regularly feel smug about the deaths of a large group of people that have no voice in politics or agree with you? Because that's pretty hosed man.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
For those who aren't aware, Jan Brewer is vetoing that insane Arizona "religious freedom" bill. I like the implication that she literally walked into a scene like that, went "welp, that doesn't look good", turned around and called a press conference.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Plus, the equivalent bill in Georgia is sinking fast since a bunch of local businesses (including Delta) basically said 'don't you loving dare.' Money talks.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

WarpedNaba posted:

It's pretty hosed up to claim that a bunch of people deserved to die a horrible death because they live in a country that did terrible things.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

WarpedNaba posted:

That is PRECISELY what the comic is about. He can't be saved. He can't be rescued. No-one will ever care about him. He wanted his death to be different, and it won't be. It can't be.

The point of the comic is that even if you think that it was an act of war, or wasn't an act of war, or was amazing TV, or was a good money-making opportunity, or anything else, there was still a person in those buildings who did not want to die that way.

And yes, perhaps America's various atrocities are worse, perhaps American foreign policy has caused more deaths- but that's exactly the trap this comic lays out. Considering one atrocity to be 'worse' because it causes more deaths is idiotic at the human scale, on the receiving end. It doesn't matter if you're one of thirteen people killed by a drone, or if you're one of three guys killed by a maniac gunman in a school shooting, or were in the plane that hit the towers, or picked a bad day to have a meeting in Nagasaki- each individual person involved in that event will know that no-one will really see them die. They will be one of X people killed by event Y. And there is nothing that can be done to change that.

E: I'm still kind of reeling from the realisation that this was by Ward Sutton. How the gently caress is that guy so good at his job?

Somfin fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 27, 2014

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Hey, it's exactoppositeofreality.gif

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JT Jag posted:

For those who aren't aware, Jan Brewer is vetoing that insane Arizona "religious freedom" bill. I like the implication that she literally walked into a scene like that, went "welp, that doesn't look good", turned around and called a press conference.
I still can't believe she got a brain about this. Is there hope for other conservative governors?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still can't believe she got a brain about this. Is there hope for other conservative governors?

jan is not stupid, whatever else she is. if you want to hold back gay rights you can't let a bill that insane go up in front of the supreme court.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!
In other news from three weeks ago...

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

MisterBadIdea posted:

How did the Tea Party guy get the rhino horn on the elephant? Why did the elephant let him do it?

(And who does the cartoonist think doesn't know the definition of RINO?)

I wonder how often it's the editors demanding more labeling; this one's labels in particular have a real design-by-committee feel to it.

I think the cartoon stands up far more powerfully without the word bubble:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Wow, this is misogynistic as gently caress. Even ignoring Hillary's time in the Senate and as Secretary of State, the right was complaining that she had too much of a hand in policy back when Bill was in office. So was she too active in politics in the 90's, or has she never touched politics and thus isn't qualified?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Samurai Sanders posted:

My understanding is that Brewer is actually fairly politically savvy. She's just been operating as a politician with a base and constituency of, well, Arizonans.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

My understanding is that Brewer is actually fairly politically savvy. She's just been operating as a politician with a base and constituency of, well, Arizonans.
Oh. Having idiot constituents is sometimes indistinguishable from being an idiot yourself, at least for me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Christmas Present posted:

I wonder how often it's the editors demanding more labeling; this one's labels in particular have a real design-by-committee feel to it.

I think the cartoon stands up far more powerfully without the word bubble:

it's possible it was a top-down decision, but Darkow has an unfortunate tendency to over-label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

The qualification for GOP vice president in 2008 was boobs.

• Locked thread