Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Goon worried by man with haircut wearing button up shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Dude, I've been to a lot of shows, but that was one of the weirdest things I've seen. This is coming from a guy who saw Leftover Crack play in Oakland.

scrooger
Feb 26, 2006
I mean that's the image he's going for so if you were creeped out by it I guess he's doing a good job of it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

suboptimal posted:

I saw Deafheaven play with Between the Buried and Me the other night. I love Deafheaven's "Sunbather" album and have listened to that album dozens of times since it first came out, and I thought their set was really great. In the intervening days, something's kind of dawned by me- I was kind of creeped out by the singer. Dude was dressed all in black and wore black leather fetish gloves, and at one point, after giving at least 10 people in the clamoring crowd high fives, he licked his loving fingers. As their set was ending, he dove off the stage and let the crowd carry him around on his back, at one point stretching his arms out in a kind of "Jesus on the cross" pose.

Don't get me wrong- I still love their music and will definitely see them again the next time they come to town, but I feel like I saw a hardcore show choreographed by Leni Riefenstahl.

Between the Buried and Me was great, though. I had to duck out before their encore, but the crowd went absolutely nuts when they played "Selkies" and the vibe just continued to build as they hit the final breakdown.

Roads to Judah is really good too. DH live shows loving own

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Green Day are pretty entertaining live

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I saw them at an arena show in Melbourne for the American Idiot tour when I was like 18 or 19 and I really enjoyed it. Then about 8 months later they came back and did a stadium tour and I went again. Billie Joe's banter between songs was EXACTLY the same. It really bummed me out that they actually scripted that bullshit. It's not like it was anything clever or interesting. Is that common for huge bands that play arena/stadium shows? They're the only 2 shows of that size that I've ever been to.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think that's common for a lot of bands in general.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
During the 21st Century Breakdown tour, my friend got us onto the guest list for the show at the Bowery Ballroom with maybe a few hundred people there. That was a pretty good show.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I posted this in the metal thread but y'all need some anime grindcore in your life.

Final Gridlink album streaming and available for purchase.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
i lick my fingers at shows all the time and nobody says poo poo

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
The hardcore scene is about family. If a hot wing falls down in the pit you pick it up.

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

suboptimal posted:

Dude, I've been to a lot of shows, but that was one of the weirdest things I've seen. This is coming from a guy who saw Leftover Crack play in Oakland.

What did leftöver crack actually do that was that weird?
I'd like to know, since I love choking victim/leftöver crack's albums.

Also, I love Archer, and krieger is my favourite character :D.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Catharsis is playing here in a few weeks. I might go to that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

rivals posted:

:O

Where's 'here'?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rivals posted:

I thought they broke up over a decade ago?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

They are doing a one-off show in Oakland on 3/22.

As far as Crimethinc / related bands go I think I'd rather see Zegota, but yeah I'll probably end up at this.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
should be fun

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Catharis toured a bunch last year, too

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah I thought so but I wasn't sure if I was just imagining that.

Daughter
Jul 23, 2007

Dylstew posted:

Same here....

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I saw Catharsis last year at Fluff and it was loving incredible. I would definitely recommend going, their frontman is amazing, and they sound brilliant live. One of the best shows I saw last year for sure.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dylstew posted:

I mean there's Stza and fans being stupid idiot assholes but that doesn't make them weird. Although talking about how property is inherently immoral and then bitching because someone stole your pedal is hilarious.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
http://courtesydrop.bandcamp.com/

I'm really into this right now! Recommend me something similar! Especially the songs that go hard, less so the slower ones. The 2nd one has some appleseed cast/90s emo vibes going on which I haven't listened to in a while so give me a refresher!

I want that guy who got freaked out by deafheavens singer to go to a thou show.

HATEPOSTING fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 28, 2014

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

HATEPOSTING posted:

http://courtesydrop.bandcamp.com/

I'm really into this right now! Recommend me something similar! Especially the songs that go hard, less so the slower ones. The 2nd one has some appleseed cast/90s emo vibes going on which I haven't listened to in a while so give me a refresher!

I want that guy who got freaked out by deafheavens singer to go to a thou show.

What do Thou do? I've never seen them live, but they don't strike me as a theatrical band, just a bone-rattlingly heavy one.

Are Bl'ast actually worth checking out or is this just some empty reunion hype thing?

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

nomapple posted:

Are Bl'ast actually worth checking out or is this just some empty reunion hype thing?

Is this a joke?

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

nomapple posted:

What do Thou do? I've never seen them live, but they don't strike me as a theatrical band, just a bone-rattlingly heavy one.

Singer gets REALLY into it. He looks like he really hates everyone and everything and when he looks at you it's pretty scary for a second. It probably only works when not on a stage where he's looking straight at you while choking himself though i guess.

HATEPOSTING fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 28, 2014

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003

HATEPOSTING posted:

Singer gets REALLY into it. He looks like he really hates everyone and everything and when he looks at you it's pretty scary for a second. It probably only works when not on a stage where he's looking straight at you while choking himself though i guess.

Brian's a super nice guy in real life. I saw them in a tiny rear end venue in Detroit last fall and they tore my eardrums in half. Both the bands that supported them, False and Cloud Rat were really excellent live too.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

answersyouseek posted:

Is this a joke?

Nah I've genuinely never listened to them/don't know anything about them. Guessing I should rectify that. They're playing Hellfest this year and I was basically wondering whether I should give them a look/check them out beforehand.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

HATEPOSTING posted:

Semi OT: What the gently caress was that celtic doomcore bandcamp stuff you linked me ages ago? Also, are you coming back to dota2?

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

Semi OT: What the gently caress was that celtic doomcore bandcamp stuff you linked me ages ago? Also, are you coming back to dota2?

lol at celtic doomcore but maybe you're thinking of either agalloch, gallowbraid or oak pantheon? If it's not that then I have no idea!

I'm still playing hon 4 life. :stunnashades:

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

I mean there's Stza and fans being stupid idiot assholes but that doesn't make them weird. Although talking about how property is inherently immoral and then bitching because someone stole your pedal is hilarious.

Well, judging from their lyrics, STZA is probably a pretty weird guy. All the drugs, all the cop hate, the squatting and.....throwing donuts at cops?....yeah. Plus, accoarding to Fat Mike, he really smells. But than again, this is Fat Mike We're talking about.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Dylstew posted:

a pretty weird guy. All the drugs, all the cop hate, the squatting and.....throwing donuts at cops?....yeah.

Isn't that what being in a punk band is all about? idgi

Have some old school German punk! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTNZmJngoiw

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
if you don't hate cops you should get the gently caress out

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

stay depressed posted:

if you don't hate cops you should get the gently caress out

Idunno, There are some type of cops I hate and there are some type of cops I don't hate.
But The difference is that STZA Want all cops dead. Doesn't that go a bit too far?

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
It's ACAB not SCAB, bud.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just think Stza is a big stupid douchebag and I happen to like the songs he writes that espouse his dumb ideas. His ideas are still real dumb.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Literally The Worst posted:

I just think Stza is a big stupid douchebag and I happen to like the songs he writes that espouse his dumb ideas. His ideas are still real dumb.

This is the correct opinion.

One time I saw Choking Victim play in the park and after the show the entire area around the stage was one big sea of empty 40s.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Dylstew posted:

Doesn't that go a bit too far?

no

alg
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56EZgZomML8

:tviv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

MondayHotDog posted:

This is the correct opinion.

One time I saw Choking Victim play in the park and after the show the entire area around the stage was one big sea of empty 40s.

Yeah, I love the music, but STZA doesn't really sound like a person I would like all that much...
And most of the lyrics are pretty stupid.

That..was pretty awesome. Plus, Always nice to see more female lead vocalists in Punk.

Dylstew fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 4, 2014