Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

That loving Sned posted:

Just be glad she didn't see a cutscene with Vanille in it.

Or Nora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Artix posted:

It would be downright impossible if you didn't get at least one of Wakka/Rikku/Tidus, I seem to remember that there's an underwater section that includes a boss.

A boss that can be killed in two turns. There's one other underwater boss, but it's optional.

EDIT: Oh, and the two early ones, I guess. But those are only a massive problem if you're doing something crazy like No Sphere Grid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

How feasible would a "Use only these three random characters" run be in FFX? I've only played it once and never bothered finishing it due to ultimate weapons, and I know the group splits at points, but I was curious as to whether it would make for a good challenge run, or if some enemies would be impossible without a certain character.

Otherwise, I think it could be a fun mini-run to do as a thread, especially with the remake coming out soon.

I think the only question is if the Yuna solo bossfight in Bevelle scales to your level like the Kimhari one does. If it does theres nothing that a little running from every encounter/spamming phoenix down won't solve during the group splits.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Barudak posted:

I think the only question is if the Yuna solo bossfight in Bevelle scales to your level like the Kimhari one does. If it does theres nothing that a little running from every encounter/spamming phoenix down won't solve during the group splits.

It doesn't as far as I know, but the battles aren't actually too hard. Grothia is easily taken down by Shiva - you can even abuse NulBlaze for a free Overdrive when he uses Hellfire. Spathi has an easily recognizable gimmick you can handle with Shield. Pterya would be the most difficult, but Bahamut should be able to handle her without too much trouble.

There's nothing really stopping you from doing Belgimine's fights and auto-losing, then pumping the Aeon's stats manually.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Honestly a better challenge is a no aeon mode, since any fight where they don't autobanish aeons immediately upon being summoned is easymode with an aeon out.

Aeons are so crazy broken. It's great.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

It doesn't as far as I know, but the battles aren't actually too hard. Grothia is easily taken down by Shiva - you can even abuse NulBlaze for a free Overdrive when he uses Hellfire. Spathi has an easily recognizable gimmick you can handle with Shield. Pterya would be the most difficult, but Bahamut should be able to handle her without too much trouble.

There's nothing really stopping you from doing Belgimine's fights and auto-losing, then pumping the Aeon's stats manually.

Yeah I know you can lose to Belgimine for no penalty (and you can't win the first one unless you talk to a dog a bunch and use a feature none of the other aeons will have so the game has no tutorial and effectively misleads you if you do figure it out) its just that fight in the sewers that I wasn't certain about.

No idea how you'd beat the first Seymour fight without Yuna's nul-element skills but I'm sure some copious overleveling will do the trick.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Barudak posted:

Yeah I know you can lose to Belgimine for no penalty (and you can't win the first one unless you talk to a dog a bunch and use a feature none of the other aeons will have so the game has no tutorial and effectively misleads you if you do figure it out) its just that fight in the sewers that I wasn't certain about.

No idea how you'd beat the first Seymour fight without Yuna's nul-element skills but I'm sure some copious overleveling will do the trick.

Seymour's vulnerable to Poison, so that's a start, and with Nul or SOS Nul armour you can game his elemental pattern. If you get Rikku or Kimahri, Petrify Grenades or Stone Breath will dispatch his lackeys quickly.

If you look up NSG walkthroughs they'll have essentially every strategy you'll need with some modification.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Barudak posted:

(and you can't win the first one unless you talk to a dog a bunch and use a feature none of the other aeons will have so the game has no tutorial and effectively misleads you if you do figure it out)

Not true. You can win with the default overdrive skill if you go into the fight with Yuna and the bird thing (i forget its name its been like 7 years since i played x) in overdrive at the start, then use it's overdrive move twice in a row.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

Who's the idiot that's getting the FFX HD remake despite hating the story because he likes the battle system enough that he'll put up with unskippable cutscenes, unlikable characters, and bullshit minigames?

This idiot. Right here. Hi. How are you?

Haha, I'm going to buy it and not even play it, because I only really care about FFX-2. Get on my level :cool:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Artix posted:

It would be downright impossible if you didn't get at least one of Wakka/Rikku/Tidus, I seem to remember that there's an underwater section that includes a boss.

Evrae Altana is a joke. Hit it with 2 X-Potions or even 2 Phoenix Downs and it dies.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Livingtrope posted:

Haha, I'm going to buy it and not even play it, because I only really care about FFX-2. Get on my level :cool:

This is me, but I'm probably going to play FFX before getting tired of the non-skippable cutscenes and story stuff and just go back to X-2, the superior game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I'm getting it for X-2 as well. Somehow, X-2 made the gameplay better but the story worse, which is just baffling.

VVV EDIT: Eh, Blitzball always sucked anyway.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 1, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

X-2 made the gameplay better

Except for Blitzball, which they made infinitely worse for no reason. I remember the first time I went to play it, and as I realised what had happened, my depression become more and more prominent.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only thing more boring than playing Blitzball is managing it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You could probably do something like only be allowed to level three characters, and you have to use those characters when they're available. Otherwise, a lot of other stuff could probably cheesed with Rikku/Yuna, or there'd be some leeway in case you're stuck on something very difficult.

Or maybe limit what spheres/abilities you can use in a given run instead. Something that gives lots of variety so people can compare runs and try out strategies that you'd otherwise never use.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Endorph posted:

The third Ar Tonelico game actually did get an M.

That game is incredibly creepy and hosed up

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

Who's the idiot that's getting the FFX HD remake despite hating the story because he likes the battle system enough that he'll put up with unskippable cutscenes, unlikable characters, and bullshit minigames?

This idiot. Right here. Hi. How are you?

I heard the laugh scene is even worse in Japanese

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Seymour's vulnerable to Poison, so that's a start,

Seriously? Cause FFX's poison is ridiculously damaging.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yep. It also completely wrecks Natus and Flux, because the HP threshold for attack changes doesn't trigger from poison damage, so they never actually become possible threats. :v:

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Seriously? Cause FFX's poison is ridiculously damaging.

It is?

*Heads to Google*

Final Fantasy Wiki posted:

After taking a turn it inflicts 25% of a unit's maximum HP for characters. This percentage varies for each enemy.

Holy poo poo, that's awful.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

This is really untrue. The mechanics for some of them are literally "if you give an augment to someone who leaves your party, you get an extra augment in return." The rest are given as quest rewards, found as items, or in one case stolen from an enemy. This is a far cry from "don't do these random things."

Right from the manual:

I just want a FJF for Bravely Default.

Nothing in what you quoted from the manual mentions "oh yeah you need to give them augments first." Anyone who goes by what the manual says will never know this, and after pushing through the game later on find out they missed things like dual cast and omnicast because they didn't give permanently consumed abilities to characters you lose. Picking up certain augments can make area ranging from "gently caress this is annoying" to "gently caress this is boring" while some areas will just be easy regardless, but there's still elemental dogs around to ensure that even the best experience can be quickly ruined in places like Babel.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Yep. It also completely wrecks Natus and Flux, because the HP threshold for attack changes doesn't trigger from poison damage, so they never actually become possible threats. :v:

That was how I even got past Flux, I was totally stuck (aside from a bunch of grinding, I guess) and looked up a guide, and that was the first thing it said to do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nothing in what you quoted from the manual mentions "oh yeah you need to give them augments first." Anyone who goes by what the manual says will never know this, and after pushing through the game later on find out they missed things like dual cast and omnicast because they didn't give permanently consumed abilities to characters you lose. Picking up certain augments can make area ranging from "gently caress this is annoying" to "gently caress this is boring" while some areas will just be easy regardless, but there's still elemental dogs around to ensure that even the best experience can be quickly ruined in places like Babel.

It tells you that you get Augments from characters who leave and, combined with what I said, it becomes very simple to understand how you get bonus Augments. It isn't a complex thing you need a guide for. They are also entirely unnecessary because the missable augments are insanely overpowered poo poo, not things you need to finish the game. It's like going "This game is poo poo, it didn't tell me that this random dinosaur in a forest drops an item that makes all magic cost 1 MP!"

You still get a wide variety of Augments just from playing the game or doing sidequests. Really good ones too, including the no-encounters Augment, the Augments that improve your gil/exp gain, the one that allows your magic to pierce Reflect, the one that makes you do full damage from the back row, and all sorts of other things which just involve "do sidequests" or in the case of Darkness "steal from Odin."

The ones you miss are poo poo like "cast two spells at once" or "resurrect the entire party when you die." Seriously, the missable augments that are "must have" are: Omnicast, Double Cast, Phoenix and Fast Talker, and only because they are insanely overpowered. If you're looking to minmax your stats you actually want the Four Fiends various Augments which are all unmissable and give much better stat boosts, aside from Limit Break and the Love spell.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 1, 2014

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Really, the one augment that is a absolute must-have is Draw Attacks, and the game gives you that one. You just have to know not to gently caress it up and put it on someone other than Cecil, but really that should be common sense. Hell, the game also gives you Counter, so Draw Attacks + Counter is really easy to set up. Although you get Counter first, so it's more likely you'll waste that one on Edward or something.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

So which Final Fantasy is your personal favorite, goons?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

So which Final Fantasy is your objective favorite?

I believe you missed the thread title.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Excels posted:

Bravely Default

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I believe you missed the thread title.

You can have a favorite without your favorite being good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excels posted:

You can have a favorite without your favorite being good

Unobjective favorite is easy: FF6.

Objective favorite in that I think it is overall the best designed and most cohesive of the franchise but that I don't like as much? Probably FF9. Maybe FFV if I'm talking just about the gameplay mechanics.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 1, 2014

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Excels posted:

IX, for a multitude of reasons, the biggest of which being characters were no longer interchangeable skin swaps and each had a defined role and moveset, all the characters each had a personality that really popped out and grew on you, each character had some sort of development (some better and dropped less harshly then others ill admit), and it was the first game in a while where the main character was really positive and outgoing from the get-go. Not to mention I love the stylized graphics that still look good to this day, as opposed to the "realistic" look 7, 8, and the later games used which made them age kinda poorly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kalonZombie posted:

IX, for a multitude of reasons, the biggest of which being characters were no longer interchangeable skin swaps and each had a defined role and moveset, all the characters each had a personality that really popped out and grew on you, each character had some sort of development (some better and dropped less harshly then others ill admit), and it was the first game in a while where the main character was really positive and outgoing from the get-go. Not to mention I love the stylized graphics that still look good to this day, as opposed to the "realistic" look 7, 8, and the later games used which made them age kinda poorly.

I could never get into 9. Every single time I stop early in disk 2 at the desert tree town or whatever. It just never clicks. Not to mention the combat system is slow as gently caress.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
FFX is the best FF game for world building and has a great core battle system. It's just too bad that nothing in the main game will be much of a challenge.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

My favorites are 5 (love the gameplay, love the characters), 12 (love the story, really want to try IZJS), and 8 (no I don't know why either).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

The GBA version of FF5. Followed by VII, XIII, and IX. If we're allowed sequels then replace XIII with LR and put X-2 before IX.

I love me some job systems and fast gameplay.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 1, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I could never get into 9. Every single time I stop early in disk 2 at the desert tree town or whatever. It just never clicks. Not to mention the combat system is slow as gently caress.

Man you stopped right before one of the greatest moments in the game. Keep playing to the end I promise it picks up after Cleyra.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Mine is FFIV, which I would think would be an uncontroversial choice, but with this thread... hosed if I know.

In all fairness I'd put Tactics and VI right below it. And my guilty pleasure choice would be FFII.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 1, 2014

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Excels posted:

IV, V, VIII (:colbert:) or X. Always one of those 4, but which one it is fluctuates depending on how I feel at the time.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
FFVI, with FFV and FFIX close behind. Which is funny, because I've actually beaten FFV a hell of a lot more than I have FFVI. Mostly due to the FJF, I admit.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
IV, VI, VII, X and Tactics are the FF games I can replay every now and then. The rest I have beaten once and never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

VI and VII. I still haven't beaten V or IX, though. I quite like the GBA/PSP version of FFI for how relaxing it is.

Anyway, the worst thing about augments in FFIV DS is that you need to know in advance when people are going to leave the party. You could just give characters augments as soon as they join you, but another character could join you later who would have been much better with that augment.

I have no idea why they didn't just have them equippable like materia, and found in chests throughout the game like regular items. Also, you should be able to get them all in a single playthrough, and carry them over to an unlimited number of New Game+ cycles.

It was made by the same people who designed FFIII DS, and they hate you.