Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This reads like it's against the law. I mean, the dude is blind, so Lester has to be pushing to get this AGC'd.

Also, love that dog :3:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A non-lovely Lester? :monocle:

quote:

Oh poo poo, the IRS is going to have the power to prosecute people for not following tax code? Welcome to Obama's America, comrade!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

This reads like it's against the law. I mean, the dude is blind, so Lester has to be pushing to get this AGC'd.

Also, love that dog :3:

I'm hoping this is the case, Lester can be right like anyone, every once in a while in spite of other times.

Also, because I got overshadowed by Buttcoins at the bottom of a page.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Uh well ... yes, that sounds unbelievably easy. "Yes, of course. Here's my insurance statement."

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Mister Beeg posted:

Since it's already out in the open, here's the Ted Rall blogpost where he linked to the cartoons I did. Check out the comments.

I wonder if Ted remembers that we've met.

A surprisingly tepid response from that guy, maybe he's on mood stabilizers?

Or maybe, he who stares too long at the poop when the poop is staring back at him gets touched through his own eyes by the reflection of the poop that sees you seeing him. :shrek:

P.S. I thought The World Today Is Just Nuts was a Goon thing. It's real, isn't it? Don't answer. I know now to trust that feeling of chilling, despairing realization.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, the Lester cartoon is bending my brain a little bit, but maybe it's just his dislike of Muslims, and how he's imagining they'll use these "religious freedom" laws, overriding his dislike of gay people.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PrBacterio posted:

Uh well ... yes, that sounds unbelievably easy. "Yes, of course. Here's my insurance statement."
Even so though, I assume that as the defendant you don't have to affirmatively prove that. Or is there some news I missed?

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Wanamingo posted:

Originally they were thought to be stolen, but now it's looking more and more like they just lost the password to the things.

Either that or the guy in charge just took them. So far it's 50/50 on whether he's an idiot or a criminal.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Samurai Sanders posted:

Even so though, I assume that as the defendant you don't have to affirmatively prove that. Or is there some news I missed?
True, but even if you did have to, it looks to me like in that comic Bok's saying "don't you know you can't prove a negative? heh :smuggo:" when, in reality, in that case, it would actually be incredibly easy :shrug:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

killhamster posted:

Either that or the guy in charge just took them. So far it's 50/50 on whether he's an idiot or a criminal.

It's entirely possible he's both.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Post 9-11 User posted:

A surprisingly tepid response from that guy, maybe he's on mood stabilizers?

Or maybe, he who stares too long at the poop when the poop is staring back at him gets touched through his own eyes by the reflection of the poop that sees you seeing him. :shrek:

P.S. I thought The World Today Is Just Nuts was a Goon thing. It's real, isn't it? Don't answer. I know now to trust that feeling of chilling, despairing realization.

But in the comments

Ted Rall posted:

Thank you, Miep. Another defense to my skills as an artist would be how difficult it is for people who attempt to parody me to replicate my style. Charles Schulz had a very simple drawing style too, but whenever you try to copy it, you realize how sophisticated it is.

How pathetic.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Did I really just read Ted Rall comparing himself to Charles Schulz? :psyduck:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

PrBacterio posted:

Did I really just read Ted Rall comparing himself to Charles Schulz? :psyduck:

You did indeed. And saying that his art style is too sophisticated to parody.

Can we get the mobile boobs/sudden simpsons flash Rall parody please?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The vast majority of tax law issues are based on rebuttable presumptions against the taxpayer that they must prove is not the case (that is, the burden is with them), so, uh, what's the message here? :confused:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

A non-lovely Lester? :monocle:

No. It's Lester saying "BUT MUSLIMS ARE MORE PREJUDICE THAN CHRISTIANS!"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ThirdPartyView posted:

The vast majority of tax law issues are based on rebuttable presumptions against the taxpayer that they must prove is not the case (that is, the burden is with them), so, uh, what's the message here? :confused:

The message is Obama is bad.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

No. It's Lester saying "BUT MUSLIMS ARE MORE PREJUDICE THAN CHRISTIANS!"

Jesus, I think you're right.

But even so that is a tacit admission by Lester that hating gay people is A Bad Thing. Albeit accidentally because he is a moron.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Somfin posted:

But in the comments
How pathetic.

gently caress, that means Rall is on a level below Muir because he doesn't put his vectored plop on a pedestal. Sure, he doesn't explicitly declare with every strip, "Oh, hey, this is just poo poo I traced after copy-pasting the latest load from Drudge Report," but he doesn't call clenched-fist scribbles sophisticated. Talk about damning Charles Schultz with feint praise, too: his work is widely copied to such an extent that the original cannot be told from the copies.

Edit:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Mallard is wearing diapers because drinky duck is a big loving baby.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I feel like I shouldn't be surprised by how many "global warming isn't real and/or isn't influenced at all by humans" comics there are, but I really am. It's an endless font of denial.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Linguica posted:

As a black man, he shouldn't have to serve members of an organization that actively despise and work to marginalize people like him. This is precisely the same as a gay couple trying to patronize a store owned by a Christian because

Conservatives are quick to rationalize how business owners are supposed to maximize their profits and thus never increase wages beyond the minimum, but denying service to paying customers is ok so long as you disagree with the customer's lifestyle.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Post 9-11 User posted:

gently caress, that means Rall is on a level below Muir because he doesn't put his vectored plop on a pedestal. Sure, he doesn't explicitly declare with every strip, "Oh, hey, this is just poo poo I traced after copy-pasting the latest load from Drudge Report," but he doesn't call clenched-fist scribbles sophisticated. Talk about damning Charles Schultz with feint praise, too: his work is widely copied to such an extent that the original cannot be told from the copies.

Almost all newspaper comics that followed peanuts owed something of their style or presentation to Schultz and his work.

No one is going to be influenced by Ted Rall's art.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ted Rall posted:

Thank you, Miep. Another defense to my skills as an artist would be how difficult it is for people who attempt to parody me to replicate my style. Charles Schulz had a very simple drawing style too, but whenever you try to copy it, you realize how sophisticated it is.

Hahahaha get hosed you talentless hack.

Also, some dummy responding to another post in the parody thread:

jerk posted:

1. “Ted Rall, whose ineptitude at art is matched only by the size of his ego.”
Dilbert is drawn by an artistic simpleton. It’s barely even stickfigures. People don’t read the strip for the art. They read it for the humor. Cartoons are rarely just the drawing. The words are almost always the important part.

(a)Dilbert is a pretty terrible comic strip and (b)one of the few things in a Ted Rall cartoon worse than the art is the writing, so I don't think this is a very strong defense.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lester knows who the real racists are, and "gay dog" seriously?

Latuff's interpretation of what's going on in Ukraine

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 2, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Kurtofan posted:

Lester knows who the real racists are, and "gay dog" seriously?

Latuff's interpretation of what's going on in Ukraine

:ussr:

Well that's a reasonable cartoon, Ukraine is falling victim to a world power influence game and Russia decided to flex it's military muscle in response. there's no 'glorification' of Russia, just a representation of how Russia is responding to events in Ukraine.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Dirty Job posted:

Conservatives are quick to rationalize how business owners are supposed to maximize their profits and thus never increase wages beyond the minimum, but denying service to paying customers is ok so long as you disagree with the customer's lifestyle.

If refusing some possible customers causes other customers to intensify their support then it's a smart business move. Obviously that wasn't the case here because conservatives vastly underestimated how many people supported their position, but the idea that a bigger pool of potential customers always makes you more money is the same logic that Rand Paul used to argue that the civil rights act was unnecessary.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Al-Saqr posted:

Well that's a reasonable cartoon, Ukraine is falling victim to a world power influence game and Russia decided to flex it's military muscle in response. there's no 'glorification' of Russia, just a representation of how Russia is responding to events in Ukraine.

It looks like Russia is stopping Ukraine from getting stolen by the US and EU.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Kurtofan posted:

It looks like Russia is stopping Ukraine from getting stolen by the US and EU.

Given the bear's claws, all it will accomplish is tearing the east side to ribbons as the west successfully yet inevitably pulls it from it's grasp.

A possibly prophetic cartoon?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

The weather in my area has swung between 40ish one day, 65+ the next, and now it's snowing. I'm glad that man had the foresight to create my insane weather patterns.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Al-Saqr posted:

Eh, it kind of puts the EU and US on the same terms of internal meddling with Russia, which in this specific case at least is really not what's going on. Plus it completely removes the agency of the people of Ukraine on both sides of the issue. It's the aspect of Latuff's work that I don't like, everything is assigned to East vs. West imperialism at it's heart and in some cases he has to shoehorn it in a bit.

Sir Rolo posted:

jesus gently caress my eyes

There's so much intellectual dishonesty here it's hard to stomach. And I mean not just stuff like quoting Spike Lee and 1946 Robert Byrd, or even the quotes which come from dubious sources. What really gets me is quoting LBJ in this strip and the last strip to try to impugn him on this subject. The man signed the Civil Rights Act and The Voting Rights Act. As Republicans love to remind us, he was a bully who pushed people around to get what he wanted. Which implies black civil rights were high on his list of priorities. It's like when people try to twist around Lincoln's legacy because he wasn't completely enlightened by 21st century standards. Even as flawed, and hell, possibly racist figures, one of them freed the slaves and the other began the serious start to dismantling Jim Crow. It always makes my blood boil when racists try to write off those actions off with some kind of 'real racist' jujitsu.

cafel fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 2, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Yes, horrible snafuperson, that is the only possible rationale for this outcome.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

What the gently caress is this even about? A quick check of the news regarding 9th Circuit Appeals doesn't seem to turn up anything. The cartoon is so racist it's hard to process.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

I love it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

:ese: :911:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cafel posted:

What the gently caress is this even about? A quick check of the news regarding 9th Circuit Appeals doesn't seem to turn up anything. The cartoon is so racist it's hard to process.

He tagged it with "Forgive me, Leo Carillo" so make of that what you will

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

crowfeathers posted:

He tagged it with "Forgive me, Leo Carillo" so make of that what you will

I honestly don't know what to make of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

cafel posted:

A school banned students wearing american flag t-shirts during cinco de mayo (I assume, I just heard it was a celebration). Which sounds bad, and of course is all that anyone reported, but the students were using the flag and t-shirt to harass and intimidate and abuse hispanic students to the extent that there were legitimate safety and security concerns. It was an entirely appropriate ruling.

Naturally, every racist worth his salt has been crawling out of the woodwork to bitch and moan about the "antiamerican" ninth circuit despite, or most likely because, of the harassment.

• Locked thread