Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There's no general chat and this is the closest thing to that, so I figured I'd put it here. The March Highspots sampler looks kinda neat if anyone is interested. 8 DVDs for $30.

-DGUSA Open the Golden Gate 2013 (Morrison-Tozawa)
-PWG Kurt Russellreunion 2 (Claudio-Generico, Low Ki-Richards, Hero-Steen)
-Classic Memphis: Jeff Jarrett (mid-to-late 80s Jeff Jarrett in Memphis)
-Billy Gunn Shoot (where he shits all over Hunter)
-Road Dogg Shoot
-Lipstick & Dynamite (an apparently really awesome doc about the Moolah & Mae era)
-New Japan New Chapter 2005 (no idea if this is any good)
-A random ECW Hardcore TV DVD

If you've not ordered a sampler from them before, they're all in cases like they'd be if you normally ordered them and there's no catch. It's typically just 1-2 new discs packaged with other stuff from inventory that they're trying to clear out.

Just thought I'd throw it out there in the event anyone is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT
I noticed the zamboni Raw was on the Most Popular list, so I watched it.... this is also the episode where Owen Hart allegedly breaks Dan Severn's neck. I know it was kayfabe, and Owen Hart left and came back as the Blue Blazer, but what happened to Severn after that? Was there any reason they specifically did a broken neck storyline? I was watching at the time but I totally don't remember anything about Severn after this angle.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Frilled Lizard posted:

I noticed the zamboni Raw was on the Most Popular list, so I watched it.... this is also the episode where Owen Hart allegedly breaks Dan Severn's neck. I know it was kayfabe, and Owen Hart left and came back as the Blue Blazer, but what happened to Severn after that? Was there any reason they specifically did a broken neck storyline? I was watching at the time but I totally don't remember anything about Severn after this angle.

It wasn't really to build anything between Severn and Owen, it was so that Owen would kayfabe quit the company out of guilt for injuring Severn which freed him up to do the stupid Blue Blazer gimmick. Which, as we all know, turned out great.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thanks for answering the questions guys, I can hunt down those 2 matches now.

As for the song I was talking about, it wasn't just Koko, I just remember him jumping from the turnbuckle, I'm pretty sure it contained all or most of the active roster at the time it was released. This is going to bug me until I can find it now.

Edit: It wasn't Land of 1000 Dancers

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 3, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Was it Piledriver?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

freeranger posted:

Thanks for answering the questions guys, I can hunt down those 2 matches now.

As for the song I was talking about, it wasn't just Koko, I just remember him jumping from the turnbuckle, I'm pretty sure it contained all or most of the active roster at the time it was released. This is going to bug me until I can find it now.

Edit: It wasn't Land of 1000 Dancers

I know what you're talking about and it came out either at the end of Koko's WWF Career or like way after, like 10 years after. It was a video of high flyers and it included Koko's top rope dropkick. Does that sound right?

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Yeah that does sound right.

I'm not sure if it's Piledriver or not as I cannot find a video of it at the moment.

Edit: Well I just found a dodgy version of it, and I think that was the song... it has the right tone that I remember.

If you only knew - WWF Wrestlers

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 3, 2014

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It wasn't really to build anything between Severn and Owen, it was so that Owen would kayfabe quit the company out of guilt for injuring Severn which freed him up to do the stupid Blue Blazer gimmick. Which, as we all know, turned out great.

So there was no payoff for Severn with that angle? They even played it up that he couldn't move or feel his arms. I guess I wondered if there was some underlying story besides Attitude Era angle booking. They could have turned Owen into Blue Blazer a million different ways.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Frilled Lizard posted:

So there was no payoff for Severn with that angle? They even played it up that he couldn't move or feel his arms.

Could he feel his toes?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How did they "bury" people in buried alive matches? I'm guessing there's a trap door or something inside that he uses to get out while the camera is conspicuously pointed away from the grave.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Luigi Thirty posted:

How did they "bury" people in buried alive matches? I'm guessing there's a trap door or something inside that he uses to get out while the camera is conspicuously pointed away from the grave.

That's exactly what it is.

From what I've heard, the hill even has a little hangout room in it. If the Buried Alive match wasn't last on the card, Taker or whoever would chill down there for the rest of the show with a chair, a TV, and drinks.

edotherocket
Apr 6, 2006
Internet.

sticklefifer posted:

That's exactly what it is.

From what I've heard, the hill even has a little hangout room in it. If the Buried Alive match wasn't last on the card, Taker or whoever would chill down there for the rest of the show with a chair, a TV, and drinks.

Now that I've learnt this, I wish we had a Buried Alive match where the side panel fell away revealing a relaxed Undertaker sitting on a couch, eating chips and watching his favourite show inside.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Although I could swear they did the Dracula ending once with Taker's hand coming out of the dirt. Not even sure how they pulled that one off.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
For someone who has been following the Monday Night Wars like a hawk and have a photographic memory of nearly every angle and match small or large, the Four Horsemen-nWo parody surprisingly slipped past my radar and I only knew about it a couple of years ago and I must say it's by far the funniest skit I have ever seen despite tackling a subject that falls under "too soon".

That said, I have a few questions regarding it.

1. I know Flair was obviously pissed but how did Arn really take it? I remember seeing Scott Hall say that Arn thought it was funny but protested (in a humorous way still) that the alcohol potshots were unnecessary and apparently Flair just convinced him and the others to feel offended and make a huge fuss about it.

2. How did the wrestling world react to it at the time? I'm not sure if dark humor was big back then compared to now but judging from the arena reaction, a lot of people found it funny but that could also be just the rear end in a top hat nWo fans who would eat whatever they do like candy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wasn't Flair's real issue that the Horsemen were supposed to get a comeback, either a counter-promo or a run-in and brawl, and Nash and co nixed it through their pull with Bischoff?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Disharmony posted:

1. I know Flair was obviously pissed but how did Arn really take it? I remember seeing Scott Hall say that Arn thought it was funny but protested (in a humorous way still) that the alcohol potshots were unnecessary and apparently Flair just convinced him and the others to feel offended and make a huge fuss about it.

Arn's wife also stirred him up, and not without cause - the nWo basically shat on his very emotional retirement speech for no reason and made him seem like Otis the town drunk.

The more I watch nWo stuff now, the less I like it. All their promos took way too long and didn't go anywhere, and they were full of inside jokes and other bullshit that no one else understood.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

Although I could swear they did the Dracula ending once with Taker's hand coming out of the dirt. Not even sure how they pulled that one off.

This definitely happened with Undertaker, yeah.

Not so sure about Dracula, though.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

The more I watch nWo stuff now, the less I like it. All their promos took way too long and didn't go anywhere, and they were full of inside jokes and other bullshit that no one else understood.

And they never got any comeuppance ever!

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Disharmony posted:

For someone who has been following the Monday Night Wars like a hawk and have a photographic memory of nearly every angle and match small or large, the Four Horsemen-nWo parody surprisingly slipped past my radar and I only knew about it a couple of years ago and I must say it's by far the funniest skit I have ever seen despite tackling a subject that falls under "too soon".

That said, I have a few questions regarding it.

I think it was especially bad for Arn as he lost his mom due to alcoholism, in addition to what others said above.

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 4, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Someone mentioned this in a WCW thread: Apparently Samuel L. Jackson appeared in WWE as Shaft, literally. What the hell?

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Red posted:

Someone mentioned this in a WCW thread: Apparently Samuel L. Jackson appeared in WWE as Shaft, literally. What the hell?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IijyFbtqDq8

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

To think, in theory he could have attacked Crash right then and there and become the Hardcore Champion. What a wasted opportunity.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He'd still have the belt today unless a woman took it from him. Shaft don't lay down for no man, ya dig?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Buried Alive "hill" was always at the top of the stage setup, which is raised up off the ground to begin with. Plenty of room to have a crash pad and access to the back, sight unseen. You hit the pad and roll out of the way of the dirt.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I've been looking for a video clip I saw years ago, and I don't know anything about it except that it was from an 80's WWF event. Mean Gene was talking to some fans and asking them who they thought would win the match or something, and when a fan didn't want to say, Gene said something like "you can tell me, it's a kayfabe deal!" I don't recall the exact words, but Gene definitely said "kayfabe." Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Red posted:

Remember when they had Rampage Jackson on Raw while he still under UFC contract, but only referred to him as BA Baracus?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Die Laughing posted:

He'd still have the belt today unless a woman took it from him. Shaft don't lay down for no man, ya dig?

At last, a second reign for Godfather's Ho.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

ZDar Fan posted:

I've been looking for a video clip I saw years ago, and I don't know anything about it except that it was from an 80's WWF event. Mean Gene was talking to some fans and asking them who they thought would win the match or something, and when a fan didn't want to say, Gene said something like "you can tell me, it's a kayfabe deal!" I don't recall the exact words, but Gene definitely said "kayfabe." Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

This is from one of the first two Slammies, I want to say '87. I believe the exact quote is "You can tell me, you're not talking to some jabroni!"

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What are some of the best WWE ideas dropped almost immediately?

Two spring to mind:

- WWE divas doing idents to announce upcoming matches on smackdown
- Companies sponsoring matches themselves ("this match is brought to you by....."

Love these immediately axed ideas

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Manwithastick posted:

Two spring to mind:

- Companies sponsoring matches themselves ("this match is brought to you by....."

• Daniel Bryan, WWE Champion

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Manwithastick posted:

Two spring to mind:

Not sure if it counts but they hired Vader because he was a huge mountain of a man monster heel, then immediately told him to lose weight and jobbed him out.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Manwithastick posted:

The minis division was awesome

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Hade Vansen. Like two or three weeks of amazing promos, then Vince found out about them and that he was being programmed against Undertaker. Fired.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
What was her name - Aloysious? That giantess from NXT Season 3. She was massive and completely different from the other girls on that season. I'm sure she was awful, but I was intrigued.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

Not sure if it counts but they hired Vader because he was a huge mountain of a man monster heel, then immediately told him to lose weight and jobbed him out.

Vader was given a big push out of the gate and was intended to beat Michaels for the belt to set up a rematch with HBK winning the belt back at RR 97 in front of a billion people. Michaels threw a hissy fit and refused to lose the belt to Vader.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Vader was given a big push out of the gate and was intended to beat Michaels for the belt to set up a rematch with HBK winning the belt back at RR 97 in front of a billion people. Michaels threw a hissy fit and refused to lose the belt to Vader.

I wouldn't call it a big push. He debuted at the Rumble and the next night on Raw he was suspended for beating up Gorilla Monsoon and Savio Vega. He wasn't on the February PPV and was in a lame curtain jerking 6-man match at WrestleMania. In April, he beat Razor in Razor's last WWF match, and was squashed by Yokozuna at the PPV in May. He then lost to Jake Roberts in the KOTR tourny in June. In July, he was part of the winning 6 man team at the July PPV and then faced Michaels at SummerSlam in August.

The WWF wanted Vader but they didn't know what to do with him. Had he won at SummerSlam, it would have been the biggest upset based on how he had been booked the previous 7 months.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Manwithastick posted:

Two spring to mind:

- Hakushi (as a serious competitor)
- Mordecai could've been interesting, with an actual, you know, angle
+ Same for Kevin Thorn and Ariel
- Sean O'Haire's devil's advocate gimmick
- Paul London, Cruiserweight champion
- The Headhunters
- an Eddie vs HHH feud with both as main eventers (they had half a match once that was good)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Speaking of great stuff WWE dropped, they used to have this really cool prediction game on their site. You'd pick guys and they would get points based on wins, appearances, finishers hit, weapons used, etc. It was awesome.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rusty Shackelford posted:

What was her name - Aloysious? That giantess from NXT Season 3. She was massive and completely different from the other girls on that season. I'm sure she was awful, but I was intrigued.

Fetish pictures and rumors of depression and suicide came out just after she was announced to be a competitor for it, and so they quietly dismissed her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I wouldn't call it a big push. He debuted at the Rumble and the next night on Raw he was suspended for beating up Gorilla Monsoon and Savio Vega. He wasn't on the February PPV and was in a lame curtain jerking 6-man match at WrestleMania. In April, he beat Razor in Razor's last WWF match, and was squashed by Yokozuna at the PPV in May. He then lost to Jake Roberts in the KOTR tourny in June. In July, he was part of the winning 6 man team at the July PPV and then faced Michaels at SummerSlam in August.

The WWF wanted Vader but they didn't know what to do with him. Had he won at SummerSlam, it would have been the biggest upset based on how he had been booked the previous 7 months.

I dunno. Vader was treated as unstoppable for his first 8 months or so.

1. He showed up and plowed through everyone at the Royal Rumble.
2. He got suspended for injuring Gorilla Monsoon.
3. He spent the next several months beating Yokozuna
4. He got a pin over HBK at IYH: International Incident
5. He got 2 falls over HBK before Shawn got a pinfall at SummerSlam
6. He later got a pin on Undertaker at '97 RR

Now, despite the booking not favoring Vader at SummerSlam, he still looked impressive against Undertaker, and looked like a goddamn hoss at IYH: Final Four. He did job to Sycho Sid in the fall of '96, but Sid was getting a title run. He worked pretty well with Shawn, so it's a shame the two never worked together again.

For his first year, he was booked fairly strongly.

Edit: He pretty much won the feud with Yokozuna, who had to be forklifted out of the arena with a bum ankle. And he lost to Jake by DQ, for breaking his ribs and not letting up.

Red fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 4, 2014