Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
I've stumbled onto a solution of sorts for the iPad issue a lot if us were having with button presses in Calculords. Apparently, a button press is registered upon removing your finger from the screen, so if you press a number and then briskly and cleanly remove your finger, the button should work. This seems to "unstick" the buttons for the rest of the match. Still something that should be addressed in an eventual update, but at least I can play now on my iPad.

Hope this helps others!

tonytheshoes fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Disappointing Pie posted:

I wish there was an easy way to use a ps3/wii classic controller with this. :(

If you don't want to jailbreak then fair enough but it is retardedly easy.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

~Coxy posted:

If you don't want to jailbreak then fair enough but it is retardedly easy.

Is there even a jailbreak for the 5s?

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Every iPhone is jailbreakable now up to version 7.0.6

rrradical
Nov 4, 2011
My game Cloud Breaker is out now. http://asivitz.com/cloudbreaker/

I want it to be a competitive puzzle game with a lot of depth and a long learning curve. If you guys have ideas on how I can improve it, I'd love to hear them.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I really enjoyed Calculords and card city nights. The whole earning new cards and building decks thing was really fun. What should I try that's similar?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Time posted:

I really enjoyed Calculords and card city nights. The whole earning new cards and building decks thing was really fun. What should I try that's similar?

Adventure Time Card Wars just came out too. It's kind of fun but I have a hard time recommending it due to the IAP crap for getting any worthwhile new cards. The currency isn't too tough to earn at a reasonable rate early on, but you definitely hit a wall.

What is especially frustrating is that you also start with the ability to only keep 50 cards total, which can be expanded by 5 for every 1 IAP currency. Given that there are 5 different "factions", that in order to win the IAP currency often requires mono-color decks and that decks must be at minimum 10 cards but you realistically need more, that 50-card limit is a bitch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Time posted:

The Might & Magic CCG is pretty fun, and there's a helpful thread. You don't earn cards through battle, but the currency to buy them isn't hard to get, and the premium currency is available in game at what seems like a reasonable rate.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Time posted:

If you're ok with waiting the iPad beta for Blizzard's Hearthstone is supposed to come out in a few months. If you get it on PC and set up Splashtop you can play it on your iPad immediately.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Adventure Time Card Wars just came out too. It's kind of fun but I have a hard time recommending it due to the IAP crap for getting any worthwhile new cards. The currency isn't too tough to earn at a reasonable rate early on, but you definitely hit a wall.

What is especially frustrating is that you also start with the ability to only keep 50 cards total, which can be expanded by 5 for every 1 IAP currency. Given that there are 5 different "factions", that in order to win the IAP currency often requires mono-color decks and that decks must be at minimum 10 cards but you realistically need more, that 50-card limit is a bitch.
I'm totally waiting for this one to drop to free/99c.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Time posted:

Isn't Hearthstone supposed to come to iOS soonish? I don't play CCGs but I quite enjoy Hearthstone

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Uuugh, why am I so bad at Out There? I have a tendency to want to visit every system, and that means I tend to slowly run out of either iron or fuel, even though I am digging/probing at 7 or 8 once on each planet I visit.

I had a quasi-decent run last night where I finally managed to find some new ships, but they didn't have all that many spare slots and it only delayed the inevitable "You screwed up by visiting all four garden planets in this system and ran out of fuel!" stage.

Plus I am terrible at managing my inventory of spare elements; I can't ever decide when I should leave something like Carbon behind.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Arcturas posted:

"You screwed up by visiting all four garden planets in this system and ran out of fuel!"

This. My pilot is just lonely and wants to talk with as many intelligent lifeforms as possible.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

Uuugh, why am I so bad at Out There? I have a tendency to want to visit every system, and that means I tend to slowly run out of either iron or fuel, even though I am digging/probing at 7 or 8 once on each planet I visit.

I had a quasi-decent run last night where I finally managed to find some new ships, but they didn't have all that many spare slots and it only delayed the inevitable "You screwed up by visiting all four garden planets in this system and ran out of fuel!" stage.

Plus I am terrible at managing my inventory of spare elements; I can't ever decide when I should leave something like Carbon behind.

You should visit every planet your supplies allow with the exception of garden planets.

Garden planets serve two purposes: 1) provide instant oxygen refill and 2) provide Oxygen supplies/supplies of crafting elements.

Talking with the natives is fun but you'll need to chat up four or five to really get any handle on alien language to not just guess at answers all the time. You can say hello if you're there, just don't feel like you have to visit every time.

Drilling on these planets is also a waste of resources unless you need to refill your spare supply of Oxygen -OR- you need gold/copper/carbon for some tech. It's not worth carrying around these once you've crafted your tech either. If the tech breaks at some future point, then go find some of what you need to do repairs. Your cargo space will be needed for Fuel, Oxygen, and iron more than anything else.

General Out There tips:
-Always have 20 Iron, 20 Oxygen, and however much fuel you can carry. A spare open space for random encounters/rewards would be a good bet too. Everything else should be carried on a need-only basis.

-Always drill/probe as deep as you can so long as you've got iron in stock. A drill only takes 4 iron to rebuild completely and a probe will always give you back platinum so all you need is still just iron.

-Always build tech that enables lower energy usage. And always build tech that increases your jump distance. (or take a ship that allows for these) These upgrades are a must for the endgame.

-Try to build a tech that either decreases damage taken (shields) or oxygen use. Only having to worry about one resource is key to going deep in the game. Having both is also a plus but not as big as at least having one or the other.

-All other techs are optional and only have really narrow use cases. Unless you are going for an achievement, it's best to ignore these if you've got the above techs installed.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I disagree with carrying oxygen around. Garden planets seem plentiful enough that you don't really need to worry about it. I've only lost due to running out of oxygen once, as opposed to the dozen or so times I've run out of fuel.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've found the opposite, really. Once you're travelling farther per hop, you encounter less star systems and lessen your chance of finding garden planets (while using more oxygen).

But I can see why you would drop Oxygen though.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How do you get techs if you're not visiting Garden planets? I know I randomly get modules on the new ships I take over, but I am really unclear on the requirements for unlocking new techs.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You can get new techs a few different ways:

1) Random encounters on entering a system that may or may not include a choice. (The space whale says choose left or right, congrats you now have shields)

2) Metallic planets have a random chance to have an abandoned tech on the surface. If you're always replenishing your iron supply, you'll encounter a few of these. (you found a long crashed ship with neat stuff!)

3) Free tech from spaceships you encounter randomly in systems. These do come with the downside that if it breaks, you'll be unable to fix it (I think).

4) The aforementioned gift from inhabited worlds.

I feel like this game should have a mode where it remembers alien languages between plays and allows you to disassemble tech to learn it. Those two would be my biggest beef with it right now.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Arcturas posted:

How do you get techs if you're not visiting Garden planets? I know I randomly get modules on the new ships I take over, but I am really unclear on the requirements for unlocking new techs.

I got a lot from random events and rock planet ruins. You can learn some language that way too.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Yeah, count me in with the others that really want to like Out There more than I do. Really wish that, at minimum, there were an option to start out with one of the other ships after you've found it. Or just anything that carried over.

My problem with Out There is that it feels like the game is missing. I love choose your own adventure style decisions as a mechanic, but it's extremely hard to build a whole game around them without some fairly complex systems going on behind the scenes. King of Dragon Pass isn't just a CYOA engine, it's a competent lite 4X where your decisions in each half of the game affect the other half. FTL doesn't just have random events at each star, it has a solid ship management combat game and resource management meta game. Out There just doesn't have... anything, really. It's some random decisions and very, very light resource management and that's it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Time posted:

Yeah these games really scratch an itch that I have been missing on the iOS.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

rrradical posted:

My game Cloud Breaker is out now. http://asivitz.com/cloudbreaker/

I want it to be a competitive puzzle game with a lot of depth and a long learning curve. If you guys have ideas on how I can improve it, I'd love to hear them.

Ha, small world! One of my co-workers just tweeted about your game. Apparently you're local! Yay for our little corner of the world.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It seems another Kemco RPG is out:
http://appshopper.com/games/rpg-alphadia-genesis

I'm still wary of buying their games, but the 3D layout for battles looks nice and not my-first-RPGMaker-RPG like their past games.

rrradical
Nov 4, 2011

devilmouse posted:

Ha, small world! One of my co-workers just tweeted about your game. Apparently you're local! Yay for our little corner of the world.

Ah sweet!

Some reviews are starting to come in. Apparently it's really hard. I guess I got too used to it while making it. Oh well, that's better than too easy I guess.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

:ducksiren: ascension just went free. There is no reason not to get it. :ducksiren:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ascension-chronicle-godslayer/id441838733?mt=8

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arcturas posted:

I was doing really well then my engine blew up and I jumped a few times vaguely hoping something would happen. Sure enough, I found an abandoned ship! Oh: can't get to it without an engine. :smith:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Shwqa posted:

:ducksiren: ascension just went free. There is no reason not to get it. :ducksiren:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ascension-chronicle-godslayer/id441838733?mt=8
Came here to post this; this game is the loving best.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

duckfarts posted:

Came here to post this; this game is the loving best.

Yeah it really is. I have spent a stupid amount of time just beating the AI in this game. I bought all the expansion at full price because it is worth it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Bought Out There: Died cold and alone in space.

Best game.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Shwqa posted:

Yeah it really is. I have spent a stupid amount of time just beating the AI in this game. I bought all the expansion at full price because it is worth it.

Does the in-app stuff ever go on sale?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

SquadronROE posted:

Bought Out There: Died cold and alone in space.

Best game.

How different is it from FTL?

Edit: "• No combat ! It’s you against the environment"

Well, that's a big difference.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Soylentbits posted:

Does the in-app stuff ever go on sale?

It did during Christmas and few other times as far as I know.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Just finished the main story in [b]Card City Nights[b] - what a fantastic game. Totally nails that Triple Triad feeling - someone mentioned Sword & Poker and I can see the comparison there as well. I used a 25-card 100% attack deck which as I went along developed mostly around fast attack combos and Mama & Son DX as my legendary of choice. Most matches were pretty quick and you could just go straight for someones face and win within 6-7 turns. I think the only opponent I had to really focus on disabling was the Bouncer's massive amounts of defensive cards. Took two tries on the next to last guy but I was able beat the last boss 3-1 in my first attempt. A+, would play again.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Voodoo posted:

Just finished the main story in [b]Card City Nights[b] - what a fantastic game. Totally nails that Triple Triad feeling - someone mentioned Sword & Poker and I can see the comparison there as well. I used a 25-card 100% attack deck which as I went along developed mostly around fast attack combos and Mama & Son DX as my legendary of choice. Most matches were pretty quick and you could just go straight for someones face and win within 6-7 turns. I think the only opponent I had to really focus on disabling was the Bouncer's massive amounts of defensive cards. Took two tries on the next to last guy but I was able beat the last boss 3-1 in my first attempt. A+, would play again.

Game just got updated with post-game content now too. Wish there was a card list somewhere though. I went the opposite direction and made a deck that was entirely based on disabling cards. It worked great on everything except the firey woman who slaughtered me immediately. I made a turtle deck for her. I usually stuck Iosa in the bottom left, Mama and Son DX in the middle right, and just kept sticking the incredibly ugly statue in between them. Pretty effective and I could switch it to an attacking strategy fairly quickly if I had to.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I have been paying a lot of Warhammer Quest, so much that I have done what I swore I would never do.. drop money for IAP in a paid game. So far I purchased the Warrior Priest for his jade ring and the dlc staff for the wizard. My question is, should I buy some of the monster packs on my first play through? I have my eye on the Vampires and Zombies pack but I am not clear what that brings to the game. Do these new monsters just start randomly showing up? If so, do they start dropping different loot that I would not normally have access to? I guess I am asking should I play with the vanilla monsters on my first play through and then play again with the added monsters.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The Marstroidvania games character control looks janky, going from the trailer. Unless there's bouncy gravity or something similar.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Nybble posted:

How different is it from FTL?

Edit: "• No combat ! It’s you against the environment"

Well, that's a big difference.

It can go on my phone, FTL cannot.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Colossatron - anyone still playing? What's the max prestige level; I'm at 10 and am wondering if it's time to stop.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Soylentbits posted:

Game just got updated with post-game content now too. Wish there was a card list somewhere though. I went the opposite direction and made a deck that was entirely based on disabling cards. It worked great on everything except the firey woman who slaughtered me immediately. I made a turtle deck for her. I usually stuck Iosa in the bottom left, Mama and Son DX in the middle right, and just kept sticking the incredibly ugly statue in between them. Pretty effective and I could switch it to an attacking strategy fairly quickly if I had to.

Here is the card list

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=229659417

I only half way through the game, but I am also using an iosa deck. Except with fire swords and that jenny fox. Eliminators and star splitters connect them perfectly. Ultra fishbunjin 3000 also works great in this deck.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
I was digging Card City Nights at first, but playing against the Stoneface guy makes me hope that the packs that he offers have few good cards and that there aren't too many "stalling" enemies, because the only alternative seems to be to turtle out, which is ultra-boring. Disabling enemies only seems worthwhile if you've already got a second attack combo ready to take out the double-health card they'll drop immediately afterwards, if you get a chance to disable it at all.

Even as someone who normally digs games like this a lot and it's different enough to keep me playing, it's annoying that the 'optimal' way to go seems so boring.

• Locked thread