Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Which Irvine, at least, is made MORE memorable for!

"I knew this, but it seemed like y'all didn't, so I didn't say anything."

That would probably have distracted the audience from Squall, and we couldn't let that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'd like to check this out, too, just for fun. I already have a file on my PS3 where I wasted silly amounts of time getting Devour and then maxing stats for no good reason, but it's always neat to see other approaches.

Sent.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Except Blasting Zone. That thing triggers 50% of the time when you don't have Lionheart.

Yeah, that's what I said:

Vil posted:

Squall's crisis level affects his odds of using some finisher vs. no finisher, but the odds of which finisher he uses are flat-rate and 25% each. If it picks one you don't know, it moves down the list to progressively weaker moves until it finds one you do, and uses that.

To clarify how the math works, it picks which one it'll give you before it checks to see which ones you actually have. In other words, depending on which ones you know, the distribution will either be:

100% Rough Divide (get Rough Divide if it picks Rough Divide, Fated Circle, Blasting Zone, or Lion Heart)
25% Rough Divide, 75% Fated Circle (get Fated Circle if it picks Fated Circle, Blasting Zone, or Lion Heart)
25% Rough Divide, 25% Fated Circle, 50% Blasting Zone (get Blasting Zone if it picks Blasting Zone or Lion Heart)
25% Rough Divide, 25% Fated Circle, 25% Blasting Zone, 25% Lion Heart

And on the subject of knowing vs. liking vs. respecting FF8 ... I know it embarrassingly well, I like it pretty well for gameplay (mostly for the ease of curbstomping superiority, and it's got some nice songs and environments too), but I don't respect it terribly much - the story in particular has a number of holes in it. I mean, it's more coherent than 13, but that's not saying much.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The White Dragon posted:

The characters aren't memorable because unless they're Squall or Rinoa (or Cid :v:), they get less development and have fewer lines than any party member in FF6.

I agree that they had little development, but I think they are memorable and that's got to be some kind of testament to something. It might be utterly stupid and broken but I think FFVIII is a great game because it's really fun to play. For me, anyway.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

I agree that they had little development, but I think they are memorable and that's got to be some kind of testament to something. It might be utterly stupid and broken but I think FFVIII is a great game because it's really fun to play. For me, anyway.
The crux of this is differing opinions on the definition of a great game.

For some people, a great game is any game you had fun with.

For others, it's a more objective term, independent of fun.

I can look at a game and know it's a great game, even if I don't care for it and don't have fun with it. The opposite is also true. I thoroughly enjoyed games like FF8 or Infinite Undiscovery despite the many flaws they had. Ultimately, our opinions on FF8 aren't very different at all. It just sounds like it because we define it differently.

I liked Selphie. She managed to be the least incompetent member of your team and she loves explosions, trains, exploding trains, cowboys and hotrod red dragon-spaceships.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Nihilarian posted:

Hell, for some people it's any or all or some or none of the above.

I think FFVII is a great game, and I think FFVIII is a great game, but I sure as hell don't think they're great games for the same reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just tend to define "game I like" and 'great game" as different things because a game can be fantastic at doing what it is doing and still not be something I like or vice-versa. A lot of my favorite games are flawed or problematic but do something unique or interesting that other games don't. It's also possible for a game to both be great and have flaws, or to be bad but do some things well.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Vil posted:

The general progression of that design team is:

FF4 The After Years
FF Dimensions (borrows many gameplay ideas from TAY)
FF5 iOS (borrows and slightly modifies sprites from FFD)
FF6 iOS (borrows and slightly modifies sprites from FFD/FF5)

To bring it full circle, I'm pretty sure After Years used modified sprites from the original FFVI for a lot of characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pneub posted:

To bring it full circle, I'm pretty sure After Years used modified sprites from the original FFVI for a lot of characters.

The original version did. It was actually sort of clever there. All the 'modern' stuff was done in the FF6 style and all the flashbacks in the FF4 style. You could recognize the sprites thoguh (they recycled a lot of the casting poses with different heads.)

The 'HD' re-release just used the same sprites for everything and while they made new sprites they are the ones they've been recycling ever since.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TL posted:

When I played through FFVI a few years ago with my little sister (she would've been 8 or so at the time), I loved her reaction to that scene:

Sis: What's wrong with Cid?
Me: He's dying.
Sis: What are we going to do?
Me: Stuff him with fish until he gets better or dies.
Sis: COOL!

Did he make it? If not, how did your sister respond to Celes' heartwrenching suicide attempt?

ApplesandOranges posted:

But I do enjoy VIII. Part of it is I'm sure due to nostalgia, but its soundtrack is decent, the characters are... memorable if nothing else, and it gave us Triple Triad.

I know I'm beating a dead horse when I say this, but there's a bit of a problem when characters you use for specific, short scenes only a handful of times throughout the game are more interesting than those in the main game. Except Selphie, of course, because I'm pretty sure she's an actual psychopath.

Even before I knew the ins-and-outs of the game mechanics I really liked Final Fantasy VIII. I admit it was almost entirely because the game's presentation (animation, cinematics, and music) was extremely impressive when compared to its predecessor and contemporaries. I remember being particularly impressed with the assault on Dollet and the Galbadia vs. Balamb conflict. I was kind of disappointed that IX didn't have any action-packed cinematic-heavy scenes like that.

I didn't know how to play it very well, though. I spent most of my time summoning GFs over and over again until things died. Then I got stuck on the Adel fight, as someone already mentioned. Now when I play it I card-mod the poo poo out of everything I can and become a party of unstoppable demigods led by a brooding whiny Ashton Kutcher.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Mak0rz posted:

I also decided to try to keep Cid alive for the first time ever and holy poo poo does it take a lot of patience. :psyduck:

Yeah, it's weird - even though it's so much easier to let him die, and IMO it fits the storyline MUCH better, I can rarely bring myself to do it. Like, I've played this game through a bazillion times, and I think I've let it happen maybe once? Twice, at most? I think that as a kid I just managed to latch onto the idea that Cid CAN'T die because good guys can't be allowed to die (except for Leo, and God knows I tried to not let him be permanently dead either).

Anyway, I don't know if it's just me, but the fishing game seemed to be a lot harder on the iPhone version than in previous incarnations, since the fish didn't appear to swim at very different speeds. That might just be because of my antiquated 4G phone, but it certainly drew the minigame out longer than I would have liked.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

VIII is not without its redeeming qualities. I re-played most of it about a year ago and found several things to enjoy. I stopped a ways into Disk 3 but that was less FFVIII's problem and more my own for just getting randomly distracted and dropping stuff.

I still think Seifer was a legitimately good character and while everyone can say the game should have been about Laguna, Kiros and Ward, I'd rather have Seifer, Raijin and Fujin.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

NikkolasKing posted:

VIII is not without its redeeming qualities. I re-played most of it about a year ago and found several things to enjoy. I stopped a ways into Disk 3 but that was less FFVIII's problem and more my own for just getting randomly distracted and dropping stuff.

I still think Seifer was a legitimately good character and while everyone can say the game should have been about Laguna, Kiros and Ward, I'd rather have Seifer, Raijin and Fujin.

Seifer, ALL CAPS, and ya know? Really? I'll give you Seifer, he is a rather interesting antagonist, but the other two are generic hench-people.

Also I always think of Squall as Robert now :colbert:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Majorian posted:

Anyway, I don't know if it's just me, but the fishing game seemed to be a lot harder on the iPhone version than in previous incarnations, since the fish didn't appear to swim at very different speeds. That might just be because of my antiquated 4G phone, but it certainly drew the minigame out longer than I would have liked.

You only want the fastest ones, so maybe that's a good thing?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Bregor posted:

Seifer, ALL CAPS, and ya know? Really? I'll give you Seifer, he is a rather interesting antagonist, but the other two are generic hench-people.

They're just as generic as the hero's cast, but Seifer is actually interesting. I'd call that an improvement.

EDIT: Hell, they're literally Evil Zell and Evil Selphie.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Bregor posted:

Robert Pattinson, maybe. FFVIII's about as close as the series gets to schlocky romance novels.

Yeah, I read the LP too.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Pneub posted:

You only want the fastest ones, so maybe that's a good thing?

Right, but what I'm saying is, it seems tougher to tell which ones are faster. The fast ones don't seem to be as fast as they used to be.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Majorian posted:

Right, but what I'm saying is, it seems tougher to tell which ones are faster. The fast ones don't seem to be as fast as they used to be.

I wonder if they just got rid of the slow rotten ones.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nah, they're still there. The rotten ones DO move slower, but not that much slower. It's not a huge deal - still not terribly hard to get through. But it's not a change I would have made, if I were a developer.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

VIII is not without its redeeming qualities. I re-played most of it about a year ago and found several things to enjoy. I stopped a ways into Disk 3

That's unfortunate, the ending is the most batshit part. You should play it and read Leovinus' LP (everyone should, it's loving hilarious).

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

VIII made absolutely no sense to me. The plot, the gameplay, the card game that is inexplicably linked to random poo poo but barely explained. All of it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Gonkish posted:

VIII made absolutely no sense to me. The plot, the gameplay, the card game that is inexplicably linked to random poo poo but barely explained. All of it.
You're not alone.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Bregor posted:

Is that from the Altimate rewrite? It's ringing a bell.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

sassassin posted:

Buy the collector's edition and get a fat chocobo mount

Chocobo? Don't care about those but if it was a suit of Magitek I'd probably be unable to resist. Especially if it was fully functional and not just a normal mount.

How active are the servers and grouping in it? Playing MMOs solo is boring as hell.

e: vvvv You are not helping with that image. :v: I already decided awhile back I'd pick up the CE when it goes no a decent sale that doesn't require playing via Steam or a similar platform. I just prefer to be able to run MMO clients as a standalone and not through another program when possible.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 8, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Evil Fluffy posted:

Chocobo? Don't care about those but if it was a suit of Magitek I'd probably be unable to resist. Especially if it was fully functional and not just a normal mount.

How active are the servers and grouping in it? Playing MMOs solo is boring as hell.

Good news: You get a suit of Magitek armor for completing the storyline.

Better news: DGKK and PBC are plenty active and if you play a DPS you can basically just ask guild chat for people to help you bypass the queues and get them at most hours.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I thought the (great) ending cinematic of FFVIII deserved a better storyline before it. Or at least one more coherent. I mean, seriously - everyone's aware that monsters sometimes come plummeting from the moon, but nobody mentioned it before you're literally floating in space watching the attack of monsters form?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Ugh, Academia 400 AF is terrible. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Saigyouji posted:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Nihilarian posted:

I can look at a game and know it's a great game, even if I don't care for it and don't have fun with it. The opposite is also true. I thoroughly enjoyed games like FF8 or Infinite Undiscovery despite the many flaws they had. Ultimately, our opinions on FF8 aren't very different at all. It just sounds like it because we define it differently.

I liked Selphie. She managed to be the least incompetent member of your team and she loves explosions, trains, exploding trains, cowboys and hotrod red dragon-spaceships.

Well yeah, that's absolutely right, and it's kind of what I wanted to say without wanting to get bogged down in writing loads of words about a stupid game. Ultimately I think games are meant to be fun, and no matter how dumb FFVIII is I still think it's tons of fun to play even after breaking it numerous times. Part of that is due to how great the music and environments are for sure, as much as people rightly criticise the game I think in terms of art direction it was excellent and still is

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Leovinus' LP (everyone should, it's loving hilarious).

Unless the link was made hidden, he asked for his LP of it to be pulled down. His attempt of redoing it... didn't work out :smith:

VV Oh man I love you, that LP was what actually introduced me into LP

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 8, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Leal posted:

Unless the link was made hidden, he asked for his LP of it to be pulled down. His attempt of redoing it... didn't work out :smith:

Nothing ever truly vanishes from the internet.

http://www.nastyprisms.com/temp/cache/lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VIII/Update%201-1/index.html

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't even know why he thought it sucked? It was fantastic throughout.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Because he is a Noted LP Drama Queen :v:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

I suspect it was made before the Mog Clock was implemented and they were still running on XIII's encounter system instead. Getting into a battle every three seconds is the goddamn worst though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: vvvv You are not helping with that image. :v: I already decided awhile back I'd pick up the CE when it goes no a decent sale that doesn't require playing via Steam or a similar platform. I just prefer to be able to run MMO clients as a standalone and not through another program when possible.

Buying the game through Steam and buying it through Square-Enix are basically indistinguishable. Steam even launches the same FF14 launcher. you could probably copy the whole folder out of your steamapps folder to elsewhere and still use it no problem.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

Did he make it? If not, how did your sister respond to Celes' heartwrenching suicide attempt?

He made it, it's the only time I haven't killed the fucker. She was more affected by the Locke/Rachel story.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Saigyouji posted:

So, I finally finished my solo Time Mage run of FFV. It was... an experience.

Tutturu~!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Not really the same, but Star Ocean 2's final boss is a fairly simple ordeal until you get access to the bonus final dungeon, then he'll wreck you until you've cleared it (and probably beaten the hidden final bosses).

Inhibitor-Off Indalecio is a chump, I've seen Solo Rena gently caress him up easily.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Excels posted:

Inhibitor-Off Indalecio is a chump, I've seen Solo Rena gently caress him up easily.
I call shenanigans, his defense is so high on the default difficulty that your regular melee characters have trouble damaging him. Precis, when equipped with the strongest weapon Rena can use, does damage in the mid-hundreds. She has like twice the attack stat that Rena does.

Unless you mean Press spam, which would be hilarious. And take like five hours.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 8, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

It's been a long time since I watched the video but iirc they just ran up to him and Parried/Pressed the hell out of him while doing pretty ridiculous amounts of damage. The GUTS skill sidebar was flooded with activated skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Evil Fluffy posted:

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Fat_Chocobo

How can you not care about this?