Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Too small by a good margin but really looks like my grandad's old Irish Wolfhounds. Here's a stock photo of a young one.

Sure she's full grown? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:
We used to have an Irish Wolfhound and ours looked a lot lankier as a puppy than that dog, though I do see the similarity!

Also, we adopted this little dude over a decade ago and have never resolved exactly what he is.

e: VVV thank god the mystery is over :thumbsup:

Dyslexiactic fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 3, 2014

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Dyslexiactic posted:

We used to have an Irish Wolfhound and ours looked a lot lankier as a puppy than that dog, though I do see the similarity!

Also, we adopted this little dude over a decade ago and have never resolved exactly what he is.

imo it's a dog.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

Here's my dog, he's half Newfoundland and half Malamute. He's 16 months old.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Christopher Robin posted:

You've actually adopted a bear. I'll be in shortly to confiscate it.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Sutureself posted:

Is that roan and brindle? What the hell do you call that coat? That's a pretty rad dog.

It's called merle.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Skizzles posted:

It's called merle.

The zombieguy from Walking Dead?

fake edit: that's a cool color, and a cooler doge

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.

Eifert Posting posted:

Too small by a good margin but really looks like my grandad's old Irish Wolfhounds. Here's a stock photo of a young one.

Sure she's full grown? :ohdear:

Haha she does have big paws! But yeah, she was at a shelter for a few months without any growing.

wowzer.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

I love this dog.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

You have a time travelling bear from the 80s.

I request his response to DEVO, Billy Ray Cyrus, and other mullets.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Skizzles posted:

It's called merle.

Both roan and brindle can appear with merle. The coat obfuscates it a bit, but on the face it looks brindly.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah but he looks mostly merle. It is kind of hard to tell.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Babysitting/possibly adopting our friends rescue Indian street puppy. They found her injured, covered in fleas, with a bad bite mark on her face. She's the runt of the liter, and her siblings and mom would apparently attack her constantly. When our friends finally decided to intervene, they had to take her to the vet to have her face stitched up. Anyway, name that mutt!

We think beagle. She doesn't bark, just howls. It's the only thing keeping us from adoption. We both hate beagles.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FizFashizzle posted:

Babysitting/possibly adopting our friends rescue Indian street puppy. They found her injured, covered in fleas, with a bad bite mark on her face. She's the runt of the liter, and her siblings and mom would apparently attack her constantly. When our friends finally decided to intervene, they had to take her to the vet to have her face stitched up. Anyway, name that mutt!

Name her Vengeance and begin her training regimen immediately! The planning phase has begun.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Those legs look a little long for a Beagle but she is pretty drat cute.

Ella.

Christopher Robin
Apr 28, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

You've actually adopted a bear. I'll be in shortly to confiscate it.

Thwomp posted:

You have a time travelling bear from the 80s.

I request his response to DEVO, Billy Ray Cyrus, and other mullets.

My dad has actually told people before that he's half bear, half wolf because of the bits of grey and it's shocking the number of people who say "Really?" and genuinely mean it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FizFashizzle posted:

We think beagle. She doesn't bark, just howls. It's the only thing keeping us from adoption. We both hate beagles.

Probably just a pariah dog, aka a muttly mutt with no real discernable breed mix.

Pretty much every country/area with enough of a stray or feral breeding population will have an abundance of these type of dogs. They look like a little bit of everything because they are a little bit of everything.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So we just adopted this little guy yesterday:

And he is pretty friendly, sniffs everywhere, loves belly rubs, is incredibly food motivated (probably why he is a bit overweight) and has a bit of a "barooo" howl.

What kind of dog is he? The rescue group said corgi mix, but I'm thinking maybe a basset hound mixed with some kind of Shepard dog?

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Claverjoe posted:

What kind of dog is he? The rescue group said corgi mix, but I'm thinking maybe a basset hound mixed with some kind of Shepard dog?

The face, especially around the eyes seems very Golden Retriever to me, but he's so stumpy at the same time. I think he's pretty cute, though.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I think he looks more dachshund mix than corgi. He has that kinda morose look that doxies get.

Klawr Kat
Nov 20, 2013
Here are a few pictures of my dog. We adopted her a few years ago and have heard several different things about her lineage. I've been lurking for a while, and y'all seem to have interesting insights as to what mutts are made of, so I thought I'd get your input.

The possible breeds we've been told:
-Full chow that was listed as a chow mix so as to get her adopted more easily
-Chow/Golden Retriever mix
-Chow/Spitz
-Sharpei mix

The sharpei guess seems pretty far off when she looks like she normally does, but then again, that came from a vet who saw her after a horrifying mix-up at the (now ex-)groomer who made her look like this:

(sorry if the pictures are too big; let me know if I need to fix them)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

The meaty mouth makes me think Chow. The general body type makes me think Samoyed or some other type of spitz.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Klawr Kat posted:

Here are a few pictures of my dog. We adopted her a few years ago and have heard several different things about her lineage. I've been lurking for a while, and y'all seem to have interesting insights as to what mutts are made of, so I thought I'd get your input.

The possible breeds we've been told:
-Full chow that was listed as a chow mix so as to get her adopted more easily
-Chow/Golden Retriever mix
-Chow/Spitz
-Sharpei mix

The sharpei guess seems pretty far off when she looks like she normally does, but then again, that came from a vet who saw her after a horrifying mix-up at the (now ex-)groomer who made her look like this:

(sorry if the pictures are too big; let me know if I need to fix them)

That's a Chow. That is exactly what Chows from BYBs or mills or wherever look like. And functional ones from Asia.
Lifeless, they are a type of spitz already.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

That's an adorable chow. :3: That's all I see, though

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
That groomer photo is kind of horrifying. Glad everything came back in!

Nthing chow. Maybe samoyed also if you don't want people to think she's a dick. (All spitz all the time!)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm also nthing BYB chow. Handsome girl though. :3 What the hell kind of mix up happened with that groomer?

Klawr Kat
Nov 20, 2013
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I guess I'll take her over to the prim thread.

Skizzles posted:

I'm also nthing BYB chow. Handsome girl though. :3 What the hell kind of mix up happened with that groomer?

Honestly? We're not entirely sure. I was still off at school at the time, and when I came home, I found this creature jumping up on me instead of my fluff monster. Supposedly my mom asked to have her coat trimmed somewhat short, and somehow our regular groomer translated that into "shave everything off." Other family members think the groomer probably made a mistake when the dog squirmed or something, resulting in shaving off a patch and then going, "oh poo poo, welp, might as well shave the whole thing evenly and say it was a mistake." My mom said, "that's not my dog!" when they first brought her out, then immediately burst into tears when my poor girl made it abundantly clear that she was indeed our dog.

We switched groomers, and legal action was threatened, but all in all it turned out okay. It still took more than a year for her coat to return to normal, and for another half a year she had a bit of a bald spot near her rump that we got checked out and had to get a specific lotion for. She's happy and healthy now, and no longer stares at herself in the mirror wondering what the hell happened to herself.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Invalid Octopus posted:

Both roan and brindle can appear with merle. The coat obfuscates it a bit, but on the face it looks brindly.

Yeah, legs too. The dog pretty clearly has tan points that are brindled in addition to the merle or roaning in the black part of its coat. It's actually hard to tell whether this dog is merle or roan.

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/merle.html

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 10, 2014

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I just got Hopper from a local rescue two weeks ago. The rescue thinks she's a chihuahua, but my vet thinks she's a dachsund/german shephard mix. She's 5 months old and right now weighs less than 12 pounds.

What do you guys think?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That pretty much looks like a chihuahua/GSD mix (I don't want to think about how that happened). The ears are loving awesome, they make her look like a fennec.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

evil_bunnY posted:

That pretty much looks like a chihuahua/GSD mix (I don't want to think about how that happened). The ears are loving awesome, they make her look like a fennec.

She does seem a little long (weiner-ish) when she's stretched out, but it's hard to tell! I am also scared about how it happened.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I'm assuming (hoping) that the dachshund was the dad and the GSD the mom in that scenario.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I hope a test tube was involved

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

That's a sweet germanhuahua you have there!

I adopted this girl just before Xmas, pit bull x something?

She's definitely not pure, she's not blocky or large enough, she's about 30 lbs now at 7-8 mos.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

pizzadog posted:

She's definitely not pure, she's not blocky or large enough, she's about 30 lbs now at 7-8 mos.

Why definitely? How big do you think pits are, exactly? 30 lbs would be acceptable for a bitch I think, and she'll fill out a bit more as she ages.

It's tough though. I find that loads of terrier mutts end up looking really pitty regardless of the mix.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

bacon! posted:

I just got Hopper from a local rescue two weeks ago. The rescue thinks she's a chihuahua, but my vet thinks she's a dachsund/german shephard mix. She's 5 months old and right now weighs less than 12 pounds.

What do you guys think?

Holey moley I want a tiny dog like this :aaa: Hopper is super adorable.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

pizzadog posted:

I'm with a life less. All I see at this point is pit. Not all pits are super blocky. Some are quite lean, and they're not supposed to be 80lb monsters. Around 30+ lbs is pretty normal pit weight. She's still definitely got time to fill out a bit more.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

pizzadog posted:

What you've got there is a black-smiley-white-socked dog.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

I guess she could be! I thought pure bred APBT stock is usually more the stocky type and she has a really narrow chest and small paws. She'll probably be about 40 pounds full grown, I'm happy with a pocket pittie though :3: so I can pick her up if need be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I dunno how much you know about pits, but this is a pure APBT: http://www.stillwaterkennels.com/-%20New%20Folder%20(2)/Customer%20Pics/MartysLilBitVelcro.jpg (countdown to Super coming in to tell me I posted a horrible example or something, looks like it's related to Lil Bit?)

This is not an APBT (it's an abomination): http://images03.olx-st.com/ui/1/15/63/4491263_1.jpg

Don't ask PI to get into the whole "what really makes a dog an APBT" discussion, because we've been through that and it's... a mess. You appear to just have a generic adorable shelter pit there. Those socks. :3: