Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Has anybody else noticed how awesome Junior has been with Twitter so far? He's just completely embracing it, it actually feels personal and not some PR channel, and it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

shyduck posted:

Has anybody else noticed how awesome Junior has been with Twitter so far? He's just completely embracing it, it actually feels personal and not some PR channel, and it's awesome.

He took a while, but he developed consistency and that's the key. Danica's twitter on the other hand...

elmono311
Apr 30, 2007

Every kiss begins with Kahne

shyduck posted:

That's so weird. My wife and I were just discussing how well Junior has been doing with Twitter. It's quite impressive how easily he got into it.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

LordPants posted:

He took a while, but he developed consistency and that's the key. Danica's twitter on the other hand...

Now now, Danica just needs a bit more track time and experience with Twitter.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Now now, Danica just needs a bit more track time and experience with Twitter.

Danica has somehow caused Landon Cassil's Twitter to slam into a wall and burst into flames.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I do wish there was a driver who had a quasi-anonymous Twitter account that just snarked on everyone, a la Roberto Luongo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Listened to the Daytona podcast on the plane today. Great stuff. James Buescher was in the 99 car.

LordPants posted:

Actually, JJ - three time champion has a ring to it. Don't know what I think about Carl Edwards, two time champ though.

You want some alternate reality Chase fantasies to think about? Have some fun with this little thing I made up a while back:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/JSprague24/nascarwhatif

A couple of them will blow your socks off or your money back.

e- You may have to look really hard entering an easy name to see the one that blew my mind when I wrote it. If you haven't played this before, use spoiler tags so others can guess without having it ruined.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 10, 2014

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I do wish there was a driver who had a quasi-anonymous Twitter account that just snarked on everyone, a la Roberto Luongo.
I could easily see Clint Bowyer maybe doing this

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Fauxhawk Express posted:

This is a job for BAD! BRAD!

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I just assumed Jr had been doing that.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CBJSprague24 posted:

Listened to the Daytona podcast on the plane today. Great stuff. James Buescher was in the 99 car.

You want some alternate reality Chase fantasies to think about? Have some fun with this little thing I made up a while back:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/JSprague24/nascarwhatif

A couple of them will blow your socks off or your money back.

e- You may have to look really hard entering an easy name to see the one that blew my mind when I wrote it. If you haven't played this before, use spoiler tags so others can guess without having it ruined.

The two I didn't get were

Kyle Petty(!!) and Sterling Marlin(!!!). Mr September was not a surprise because it seemed only logical and proud to say I guessed him for 91, but not 84(!!).

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

Shall I give thee the groat now?

LordPants posted:

The two I didn't get were

Kyle Petty(!!) and Sterling Marlin(!!!). Mr September was not a surprise because it seemed only logical and proud to say I guessed him for 91, but not 84(!!).

I didn't realize in that the 2001 chase, NASCAR implemented the kill a former several-time champion, gain 10000 bonus points gimmick!

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

LordPants posted:

Don't know what I think about Carl Edwards, two time champ though.

The obvious thought to have about that is neigh. :colbert:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Thought this was interesting.

MRN mentioned that Junior is the fourth driver to finish no worse than 2nd in the first three races, joining:

Richard Petty (1969, 1974),
Cale Yarborough (1977),
Dale Jarrett (1996),
and Jimmie Johnson (2006)

Matt Kenseth nearly did the same in 2009, winning the first two races, but then he finished last in the third.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

N: "K&N West Standout" Kelly Admiraal is driving for RAB Racing for a bunch of races this year, starting with Bristol.
N: Rick Crawford is crew-chiefing for Maryeve Dufault for the rest of the ARCA season.

V: Racing loving sucks sometimes. Rick Crawford has more talent in the sweat on his balls than Admiraal and Dufault combined.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

So who's willing to bet NASCAR isn't gonna even think of changing the qualifying until someone gets hurt or there is a massive wreck because we need ~intrigue~?

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I saw this today and laughed a little. It's kind of old, but the comment about "This is gonna make TMZ." just made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pt5D9QoB20

Also, I got this for my birthday:

And I have to say that it was pretty drat good. Way better than I was expecting actually. Now to drink enough of it that pouring it won't be a monumental pain in the rear end.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Personperson14 posted:

So who's willing to bet NASCAR isn't gonna even think of changing the qualifying until someone gets hurt or there is a massive wreck because we need ~intrigue~?

Pretty safe bet. Bristol's qualifying is going to be nuts. I predict at least three backup cars from that session alone.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Elitist Bitch posted:

I saw this today and laughed a little. It's kind of old, but the comment about "This is gonna make TMZ." just made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pt5D9QoB20

Those Stewart lines are while she was actually part of his team? That's hilarious.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Slickdrac posted:

Those Stewart lines are while she was actually part of his team? That's hilarious.

Only team she has been in Cup. Time's ticking for her.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Danica was SHR's best finisher this week.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Elephanthead posted:

Danica was SHR's best finisher this week.

While that is technically true, if it weren't for a faulty hub on the 4 car she'd be the second highest finisher. What's concerning here is that SHR as a whole hasn't been that good, except for the 4 car. Best finish besides the 4 is Stewart at Phoenix finished 16th. Now the 41 looked ok at Phoenix but blew a motor. I'm not so sure that 41 would have cracked the top 5 though. They gotta get together and figure out what that 4 team is doing different from the 14, 41, and 10. How can Harvick be a threat to win 2 weeks in a row and the other 4 cars be a threat to stay on the lead lap if they're lucky?

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Part of me is surprised that Kvapil's comments about Danica weren't publicized more considering what happened with he and [the rest of this post has been swept under the rug].

bigbillystyle posted:

While that is technically true, if it weren't for a faulty hub on the 4 car she'd be the second highest finisher. What's concerning here is that SHR as a whole hasn't been that good, except for the 4 car. Best finish besides the 4 is Stewart at Phoenix finished 16th. Now the 41 looked ok at Phoenix but blew a motor. I'm not so sure that 41 would have cracked the top 5 though. They gotta get together and figure out what that 4 team is doing different from the 14, 41, and 10. How can Harvick be a threat to win 2 weeks in a row and the other 4 cars be a threat to stay on the lead lap if they're lucky?

I think the 14's problem is that the driver isn't anywhere near 100%.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Smoke before the crash: Sucks a fat one every year until the second half.

Smoke after the crash: OMG ITS THREE RACES IN AND HE SUCKS WHAAAAAAATS HAAAAAAPPEEEEEEEENIIIIIIIING

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Smoke after the crash: OMG ITS THREE RACES IN AND HE SUCKS WHAAAAAAATS HAAAAAAPPEEEEEEEENIIIIIIIING

That and he can literally be 30th in points and win Richmond and he'll be fine.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
^^^E: That's true. If you ain't first, you're last is kind of true this year.

VikingSkull posted:

I know the summer is his time, but you can't deny how far off the SHR cars are right now. Running 4 laps down, or whatever he was, at Vegas without having an actual mechanical problem or a crash? That isn't characteristic of a team that is supposed to be challenging for a championship.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's always been characteristic of the 14.

It's 3 races in, guys. Just 3. Settle down. They added a whole new team, 2 new drivers, and a ton of other personnel. Give it half a year.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So the ratings this year have been downright terrible. Jayski:

quote:

The 2014 Sprint Cup season has not gotten off to a great start on FOX. Sunday's NASCAR Sprint Cup Kobalt Tools 400 from Las Vegas drew a 4.1 overnight rating on FOX, down 11% from last year (4.6), down 23% from 2012 (5.3), and tied with 2010 as the lowest overnight ever for the race since it moved to FOX in 2001. Overnights have declined for the first three Sprint Cup telecasts this season. The numbers have not just declined, but in fact have hit historic lows. Final ratings for the Daytona 500 were the lowest ever, and the final rating for Phoenix was the lowest for the second race of the season since FOX acquired rights

I blame DW.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

To be fair, the Daytona ratings were probably torpedoed by all the rain.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

daslog posted:

So the ratings this year have been downright terrible. Jayski:

I blame DW.

Its right to blame him. Sorry for the tired comparison, but look to the NFL. Their problem is that watching the game at home is much better than any average game. For Nascar, its much worse to watch it on TV. The broadcasts are a chore and and you are less informed than if you were in a grandstand with a radio, or even just a view of the scoring tower. How the gently caress did the new position ticker get approved? Run through a 43 car field 5 at a time, slowly? Its 2014, stop framing the drat picture for the last few bumpkins using OTA to CRT converters and use the entire 16:9 frame.

You could take some of the space and do some interesting infographic work the a 10 lap final chase by displaying the difference between the first and second car's time spent with the gas pedal down. Actually visualize the second place driver's desperation to beat out the aero problems. But instead of even that likely bad idea, you get DW running down his laundry list of "hes haulin' the mail" metaphors and super tight camera shots that don't portray the closing distance.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Dudley posted:

To be fair, the Daytona ratings were probably torpedoed by all the rain.

And people thinking the Daytona 500 was already run and Johnson won it. But if by race 5 still hitting historic lows for Fox, hmmm NBC may not be feeling too good forking over all that cash for this series.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Its right to blame him. Sorry for the tired comparison, but look to the NFL. Their problem is that watching the game at home is much better than any average game. For Nascar, its much worse to watch it on TV. The broadcasts are a chore and and you are less informed than if you were in a grandstand with a radio, or even just a view of the scoring tower. How the gently caress did the new position ticker get approved? Run through a 43 car field 5 at a time, slowly? Its 2014, stop framing the drat picture for the last few bumpkins using OTA to CRT converters and use the entire 16:9 frame.

You could take some of the space and do some interesting infographic work the a 10 lap final chase by displaying the difference between the first and second car's time spent with the gas pedal down. Actually visualize the second place driver's desperation to beat out the aero problems. But instead of even that likely bad idea, you get DW running down his laundry list of "hes haulin' the mail" metaphors and super tight camera shots that don't portray the closing distance.

I got two simple little things they can do that would dramatically increase the quality of the on screen product

1: ZOOM...THE gently caress...OUT! It's bad enough you need to take up half the real estate with all your stupid popups and info graphics "poo poo no one cares about, sponsored by Ram". But why does it feel like I'm watching a dozen or less cars racing on the track? Can I watch more than one person at a time go around? I assume there are others on track. Why can't I watch them race for 5th on the right side of the screen while you talk about the leader who's just running in a circle with nothing interesting happening around him?

2: SHUT...THE gently caress...UP! Racing is by it's nature exciting (on those rare occasions we actually see folks racing, and not just "I have the only line in the corner that goes anywhere" bullshit). Feed me the play by play of it, that definitely doesn't hurt the excitement, and sometimes makes it better. But color commentary is just completely out of place in racing. If I wanted to listen to nonsensical, barely coherent ramblings that kill any moment and bring your brain to a screeching halt while it tries to figure out what the gently caress that guy just said, I'd go to a family reunion and hang around my drunk uncles.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Personperson14 posted:

Clint Bowyer said that he almost hit Dale Jr. while they were traveling about 170mph and 35mph (respectively). Had they hit, someone could have been seriously hurt. It made me think of this scenario:

NASCAR 2000: "Hey, Adam Petty just died going into a wall. Should we mandate the HANS device?" "Naa."
NASCAR 2001: Dale Earnhardt Sr. dies. Safety is suddenly more important.

NASCAR 2014: "Drivers are complaining that this new qualifying procedure is dangerous. Should we let them cool the cars down?" "Naa."
...Dale Earnhardt Jr. dies after being rear-ended by someone travelling 140mph faster than him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The cars are all so equal, and reliability and tires are so bulletproof, that nothing happens in the middle of races anymore. Even if they did, it wouldn't matter, since the sheer amount of commercials breaks in the middle of the race mean that you never get the chance to actually follow any of those quasi-enduro racing storylines as they develop (if they actually did anymore).

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Slickdrac posted:

I got two simple little things they can do that would dramatically increase the quality of the on screen product

1: ZOOM...THE gently caress...OUT! It's bad enough you need to take up half the real estate with all your stupid popups and info graphics "poo poo no one cares about, sponsored by Ram". But why does it feel like I'm watching a dozen or less cars racing on the track? Can I watch more than one person at a time go around? I assume there are others on track. Why can't I watch them race for 5th on the right side of the screen while you talk about the leader who's just running in a circle with nothing interesting happening around him?

2: SHUT...THE gently caress...UP! Racing is by it's nature exciting (on those rare occasions we actually see folks racing, and not just "I have the only line in the corner that goes anywhere" bullshit). Feed me the play by play of it, that definitely doesn't hurt the excitement, and sometimes makes it better. But color commentary is just completely out of place in racing. If I wanted to listen to nonsensical, barely coherent ramblings that kill any moment and bring your brain to a screeching halt while it tries to figure out what the gently caress that guy just said, I'd go to a family reunion and hang around my drunk uncles.

Quoted for truth.

I really do think 90% of what's wrong with NASCAR are just small things that are really easy to fix. The frustrating thing is that they're so easy to fix that it actually takes more effort to do nothing about them.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

My cable operator cuts all the networks to 4:3 if I don't pay the insane extra HD fee, it has nothing to do with ota.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BMB5150 posted:

And people thinking the Daytona 500 was already run and Johnson won it. But if by race 5 still hitting historic lows for Fox, hmmm NBC may not be feeling too good forking over all that cash for this series.

Nascar is still popular enough that it's a good buy for NBC, easily.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2014/03/11/nascar-to-allow-cooldown-units-on-pit-road/6302277/

Cooldown units are being allowed with the hookup going through the cowl vents During qualifying. Should be a pretty simple fix to reroute the plumbing to accommodate that, and solves the cooldown lap problem. GJ nascar

Some Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 11, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think the races are too long, and the "important ones" seem to be highlighted at the worst tracks.

Last week's race for example. Why does Vegas or any-non Charlotte/Atlanta 1.5 mile oval need to be 400-500 miles? It kind of takes away a lot of the mystique from the season, and produces quite a bit of filler in between the start and the last ten laps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Ratings are a fickle thing. You would think that with Jr doing so well this year that ratings would be up. The number one thing that NASCAR can do is keep working on the on the track action. If that improves then word of mouth will spread and the viewers will come back. It has next to nothing to do with DW, or the God AWFUL new ticker, when NASCAR was in it's prime nobody cared who was announcing, but it's drat essential that the racing is good. That's where NASCAR has lost so many viewers, the races are generally pretty tame. Drivers are more patient than they were 20 years ago, so miles 50-399 are just logged as teams put themselves in position for the final dash. That's smart racing, but bad entertainment. But shortening the races to 300 miles seems to easy for the premier series.

I dunno what NASCAR is supposed to do.

• Locked thread