Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah I'm not saying buy none, I'm saying don't buy all of them. Don't make it impossible for children to buy toys, you profiteering sperg. I spent a weekend driving my nephew around to five different toy stores before he could find even one blind bag to buy, and when we finally did we had to wait in the aisle for twenty minutes while 350 pounds of greasy ponytail and meme shirts felt up every single bag.

There are some sets that are clearly aimed at adult collectors, like the architecture sets and the insanely expensive scale-model poo poo, but the cheap silly stuff is for kids first and foremost and adults need to step back and let the kids have a chance to enjoy it.

Not once did he mention buying the box to resell them at higher prices. Why the gently caress are Lego nerds calling out other Lego nerds for buying Legos in this thread. We have no idea what he's going to do with his extras of certain figures, so why the gently caress is there a TON of "you're a scalper" talk when people buy more than one item in this thread? Not everyone is a Lego speculator, and not everyone needs to be treated like poo poo for buying something the rest of us buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

jeeves posted:

I both love and hate the blind bags for exactly for bad luck like this. At least you can trade them online if you want to be bothered with it.

I hate feeling like a creeper feeling up the blind bags, but I've gotten burned before with like 4x Judges in series 9 all bought at once :(

The other Lego store in the city does trades, I'll just pop in there someday. :)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Rage posted:

Not once did he mention buying the box to resell them at higher prices. Why the gently caress are Lego nerds calling out other Lego nerds for buying Legos in this thread. We have no idea what he's going to do with his extras of certain figures, so why the gently caress is there a TON of "you're a scalper" talk when people buy more than one item in this thread? Not everyone is a Lego speculator, and not everyone needs to be treated like poo poo for buying something the rest of us buy.

He said he was considering buying out the store's inventory of minifigs, then when someone else called him on it he justified it by saying that the Lego movie collectible minifigs aren't for children.

I'm not morally outraged, I just find the irony hilarious.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Rage posted:

I am not a lego nerd, I am a regular adult with children in my life. And again, it's not buying "something" it's buying "all of something" that's the issue. Not hogging a limited resource is just basic human decency whether you're in the toy store or the buffet line. While we're on the subject it'd be nice if mattfl left some bacon bits for the other patrons.

And y'all talk about lego speculating constantly. I don't know how you could possibly think you're being convincing trying that line of argument. It's one of the primary topics of this thread.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a product. For sale. If a store has it for sale, anyone who walks in with a handful of cash is allowed to buy it. No one has any obligation to "save" product for a later customer.

Those minifigs came out in January if I remember right, they didn't get scarce until after the movie released. Everyone here regardless of their speculator or collector status had plenty of opportunity to go buy them.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

It's a product. For sale. If a store has it for sale, anyone who walks in with a handful of cash is allowed to buy it. No one has any obligation to "save" product for a later customer.

Those minifigs came out in January if I remember right, they didn't get scarce until after the movie released. Everyone here regardless of their speculator or collector status had plenty of opportunity to go buy them.

Yes define all actions by whether they are technically allowed and brook no possible discussion of whether some things that are technically allowed might still be rude, greedy and selfish, this is the ideal way to behave and in no way a manifestation of your autism.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn son, you be angry.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

Goddamn son, you be angry.

Not a son and not angry, just waiting to see if any of you brick-bronies have a sense of irony.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We're waiting for you to show us how first.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

We're waiting for you to show us how first.

Boy you are super offended that I think creepy adults waddling their way into childrens' hobbies ought to leave some space for kids to enjoy them, huh. Bark bark bark gotta chase off the intruder. How many lego stores are you banned from.

Sorry man I know your crotch droppings aka "sex trophies" wanted to play tee-ball this summer but I just bought up all the miniature pink plastic baseball gloves so deal with it. That's a little internet humor for you, you probably wouldn't get it. I'm an investor.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

You compared us to bronies. Not cool, man. Not cool.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Those kids don't appreciate legos on as many levels as I do.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There are some sets that are clearly aimed at adult collectors, like the architecture sets and the insanely expensive scale-model poo poo, but the cheap silly stuff is for kids first and foremost and adults need to step back and let the kids have a chance to enjoy it.

That's why I love what LEGO is doing with the new Star Wars Micro Fighters sets. Kids can't afford a 130 dollar Millennium Falcon, or even a 60 dollar X-Wing fighter, so these little ships are perfect for them.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Davros1 posted:

That's why I love what LEGO is doing with the new Star Wars Micro Fighters sets. Kids can't afford a 130 dollar Millennium Falcon, or even a 60 dollar X-Wing fighter, so these little ships are perfect for them.

Yeah! Little nephew bought some of those with his own money and started making more out of his bucket of random legos. They were a great idea and I hope they do more along those lines for different lego settings.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Boy you are super offended that I think creepy adults waddling their way into childrens' hobbies ought to leave some space for kids to enjoy them, huh. Bark bark bark gotta chase off the intruder. How many lego stores are you banned from.

Sorry man I know your crotch droppings aka "sex trophies" wanted to play tee-ball this summer but I just bought up all the miniature pink plastic baseball gloves so deal with it. That's a little internet humor for you, you probably wouldn't get it. I'm an investor.
I want an LDD of this post made in those little 1x1 letter tiles.

This is the Power Glove of Lego posting

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 12, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The smaller Metalbeard set is pretty cool. I guess it's technically a mecha suit set, which usually doesn't interest me, but I loved his character in the movie.

I like how his design is really cobbled together out of pirate parts like the barrel, anchor and shark arm. Lot of ingenuity in the part use there.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yeah! Little nephew bought some of those with his own money and started making more out of his bucket of random legos. They were a great idea and I hope they do more along those lines for different lego settings.

One of the things I would have liked to see LEGO do is create a bunch of smaller, more cost efficient sets that could combine into one larger set. Take the Death Star, or Hogwarts, for example. The could make single sets that featured a part of the system (say, The Emperor Throne room) that could retail for about 15 bucks, but then could be connected to another room, (like the Detention Block) that would also be about 15 bucks. You'd have sets with a much more attractive price purchase for impulse buys, plus you'd have that collectable drive that you with some sets.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Davros1 posted:

One of the things I would have liked to see LEGO do is create a bunch of smaller, more cost efficient sets that could combine into one larger set. Take the Death Star, or Hogwarts, for example. The could make single sets that featured a part of the system (say, The Emperor Throne room) that could retail for about 15 bucks, but then could be connected to another room, (like the Detention Block) that would also be about 15 bucks. You'd have sets with a much more attractive price purchase for impulse buys, plus you'd have that collectable drive that you with some sets.

They sort of did that with Jabba's Palace. Maybe they'll do that with more stuff. It's hard for ships and the like, though.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I know when I buy Lego, I always look around for the nearest child and kick them in the face.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dogen posted:

They sort of did that with Jabba's Palace. Maybe they'll do that with more stuff. It's hard for ships and the like, though.

Yeah, the only problem with that was that the sets were 120 and 60 dollars apiece! I was thinking of much smaller ones, with more affordable prices.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Brilliant idea. If this had been made, I would've definitely bought the Hogwarts series of sets.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Davros1 posted:

There's a Lego creator set that can be built as one of three kinds of train cars and the idea is that you buy at least three to have a full train, so the idea is definitely there.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

drat, how many times have you gone to the store and failed to bring home whatever your children are screaming about and now you're upset at the world over it. You might wanna look into other resources, like shop.lego.com or even trying more than one store when you're looking for an item. Happy hunting!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, the only problem with that was that the sets were 120 and 60 dollars apiece! I was thinking of much smaller ones, with more affordable prices.

They've also done it a bit in LotR with Helm's Deep and the extra bit of wall, and how you can put two black gates together. Maybe they can figure out something at a $20 price point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cloks posted:

There's a Lego creator set that can be built as one of three kinds of train cars and the idea is that you buy at least three to have a full train, so the idea is definitely there.

Well, two engines and a caboose. :v:

But it's a pretty flexible set for making any kind of car you can imagine.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Only downside is if they make 10 combineable sets at $15 each, you're still spending $150.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Rage posted:

Only downside is if they make 10 combineable sets at $15 each, you're still spending $150.

I play an LCG that releases $15 expansions once a month in 6 month cycles. Spread out, that $150 is much less painful.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Rage posted:

drat, how many times have you gone to the store and failed to bring home whatever your children are screaming about and now you're upset at the world over it. You might wanna look into other resources, like shop.lego.com or even trying more than one store when you're looking for an item. Happy hunting!

You are not a very good reader. Maybe start hoarding Dr. Seuss too so you can brush up on the fundamentals?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

You are not a very good reader. Maybe start hoarding Dr. Seuss too so you can brush up on the fundamentals?

"Irony"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Way back when, they had the micro scale Star Wars, and each set came with extra pieces to build another model if you bought all four. I liked that, and those sets were pretty reasonably priced.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I got one of my best friends back into lego in the last year and he's been buying a bunch of the new space line up. So I've got this waiting for him on Friday for his birthday present.

http://brickset.com/sets/6984-1/Galactic-Mediator

The temptation to keep it for myself is so drat tempting though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Huh. They changed the design of Brickset; I don't like it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

You really suck and get so futilely angry about the most trivial things. Your recent posts in this thread are embarrassing to read. Stop it.

VaultAggie posted:

I got one of my best friends back into lego in the last year and he's been buying a bunch of the new space line up. So I've got this waiting for him on Friday for his birthday present.

http://brickset.com/sets/6984-1/Galactic-Mediator

The temptation to keep it for myself is so drat tempting though.
You on the other hand are a saint and a scholar, and your friend is lucky to have you! I remember waking up one Christmas morning as a kid, and my dad had put all of the Space Police 2 sets under the tree for me. We then spent all of that Christmas morning as the sun rose(because really, what kid didn't wake their parents up at 5 AM to open presents) drinking hot cocoa with marshmallows on the porch and building those sets and swooshing them around. Man I am so glad that M:Tron, Space Police 2, Blacktron, and Spyrius were the series of my childhood, I like Futuron and all, but stuff like the Mega Core Magnetizer, Particle Ionizer, Stellar Recon Voyager, Galactic Mediator, Solar Snooper, Aerial Intruder, Ice-Sat V, Ice Station Odyssey, and Robo-Guardian blow almost all the older Space sets out the airlock.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

..when we finally did we had to wait in the aisle for twenty minutes while 350 pounds of greasy ponytail and meme shirts felt up every single bag.

You obviously built up a lot of rage during that twenty minutes of what? Just standing there doing nothing. I hope that one day you manage to overcome your inexplicable inability to function in society.

In general this thread tends to be fairly anti-speculator. I'm sure there are one or two, but I can't think of any regular poster who posts about buying stuff up to try and turn a profit. I don't know how much of this thread you read before coming to the conclusion you did, but it's pretty far removed from reality. But reality or not you're obviously frustrated so free to respond angrily and spew out a whole load of those greasy neckbeard clichés if it makes you feel better. I hope your nephew's next lego shopping experience is more pleasant as this one sounds loving awful.

In unrelated news I'm currently reading my son the "novelization" of the Lego Movie, which I'm getting a nostalgic kick out of because... movie novelizations with photos in the middle! It's made us both want to go see it again. OK for a third time. He's not that bothered about the sets or figures though. He's all about the Mixels at the moment.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 13, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think in total I've bought/received fewer than ten sealed minifig bags over the last year, if that makes me a "speculator" then so be it.

Only bits and bobs I like to hoard is blue and grey bricks.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I must be weird, because the minifigs are the least interesting part of the Star Wars Lego sets to me. I wish I fell back in love when the Y-Wing was still easily obtainable. Looking forward to all the awesome new ships coming out this year!

Ira Glass Jaw
Oct 21, 2010

Yes define all actions by whether they are technically allowed and brook no possible discussion of whether some things that are technically allowed might still be rude, greedy and selfish, this is the ideal way to behave and in no way a manifestation of your autism.

I think the real autist is the guy arguing about someone's Lego buying habits on an Internet comedy forum.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gravy Jones posted:

You obviously built up a lot of rage during that twenty minutes of what? Just standing there doing nothing. I hope that one day you manage to overcome your inexplicable inability to function in society.
No rage at all, and it's really creepy/sad that you guys keep needing to characterize the idea of "share access to toys with children" as only possibly coming from some slavering strawman. All I said initially was "hey maybe don't buy the entire case" and you guys have responded like giant embarrassing cliches. Reminder that that one hoardy dude literally argued that minifigs aren't for children.

Skulduggery posted:

I think the real autist is the guy arguing about someone's Lego buying habits on an Internet comedy forum.

Not everyone on earth is a guy, autist.

All I wanted was to make a simple request that you guys maybe be more considerate of children when you pursue your manchild hobby. Clearly that was way too much to ask, so I apologize. Please at least remember to wash the cum out of your jorts before you go to Toys R Us to tongue the blind bags looking for your tiny plastic waifus, because it leads to those of us adults not on the sex offender list having to answer a lot of uncomfortable questions.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

:golfclap: