Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

BigLeafyTree posted:

Why not? It might take a bit longer because you can end up in situations where you're throwing a pass your allies can't catch and it's more difficult to get hilariously out of control the way a fed highly mobile snowball hero can, but good play is good play.

People who don't know how to play support just assume that supports only exist to be carried by the rest of the team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!

Bhodi posted:

They do, but at the same time you can edge ahead by defending 4v5 and having your carry farm.

I'm also coming up on 4k by playing a lot of supports. Sand king, crystal maiden, lich, they all work fine.

Defending 4v5 is the correct play, but when I find myself as the carry farming away while the typical mid blob staring contest goes on there's always that one guy.

You know who I mean.

It's like that scene in the movie where there's a standstill and someone on one side accidentally fumbles his gun and fires a shot and all hell breaks loose. That guy always happens. I try to TP in and recover but by that time my team is up on their hill fighting under the enemy tower.

Yeah but where did you start at? I haven't been "trench tier" where all these players are complaining about MMR hell. 3500 to 4000 I can see support being more beneficial.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think it'd be harder, but still doable.

If you're supporting you can set up a lot of kills your carries won't take advantage of. You could manage to feed them those kills but they don't spend their money or time wisely afterwards. You're less able to just flat out take objectives on your own if they're not willing to cooperate (unless you're someone like shadow shaman).

Honestly though, I think most people can tell fairly quickly when someone on their team is very good and if that person talks and pings and comes up with plans most people will fall in line.

I've had it happen to me and I've done it with other people.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!

Red Red Blue posted:

People who don't know how to play support just assume that supports only exist to be carried by the rest of the team

People who don't understand the point, make weird assumptions about my ability to play supports.

I will try to explain it out better.

In order to gain MMR you have to have >50% win percentage.

The lower your starting MMR the less impact correct support play makes on the game as a whole.

There's an MMR point where support play does not have enough of an impact on the game to have >50% win percentage.

I don't know where this "MMR hell" is. It could be at loving 50 MMR I have no idea. I am just saying that I could see how you could get stuck in this MMR as a support and not get stuck in it as a high impact mid.

Chocolatebuddha fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 14, 2014

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
There is nothing finer in dota than chasing people down the with napalm/ion shell combo in RAD. It's broken from level 2.

A lot of combos are broken, but nothing so hard that you can basically wipe a team from level 2.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Chocolatebuddha posted:

There's an MMR point where support play does not have enough of an impact on the game to have >50% win percentage.

False and questionable.

e: Upgrading questionable to mega-false.

gangnam reference fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 14, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Asiina posted:

Honestly though, I think most people can tell fairly quickly when someone on their team is very good and if that person talks and pings and comes up with plans most people will fall in line.

I've had it happen to me and I've done it with other people.

Depends. I've played with exceptionally good players that ping like dickholes and draw all over the map so I intentionally ignore their calls, even when they're the correct call. When I'm pubbing with people I make sure to only ping once and accurately, and to draw on the map nicely with arrows. It almost always works.

It's also nice to talk to teammates like a human being. Like if someone refuses to leave forest and push with you, you can say something like, "Hey Luna you got some sick rear end farm, come crush this tower with us" instead of, "GET THE gently caress OVER HERE LUNA YOU poo poo KID *ping**ping**ping**ping*".

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!

gangnam reference posted:

False and questionable.

Which is why I stated what I believed and would like to see the experiment I posted but with support.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Which is why I stated what I believed and would like to see the experiment I posted but with support.

You're right, i misunderstood : )

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Chocolatebuddha posted:

People who don't understand the point, make weird assumptions about my ability to play supports.

The lower your starting MMR the less impact correct support play makes on the game as a whole.

I don't know where this "MMR hell" is. It could be at loving 50 MMR I have no idea. I am just saying that I could see how you could get stuck in this MMR as a support and not get stuck in it as a high impact mid.

I think this assumes that support play exists only as something that gives your non-support allies chances to follow up on, and if they drop the ball and don't follow up on those chances your effort was null. Supports can do important impactful things without requiring the carries/cores/whatever to stop picking their nose. Ganks, zoning heroes out of the offlane, teamfighting, controlling runes, stacking, pulls, etc. all matter and give your team better chances to win the game. Support only becomes a dice roll on ally competency if you're playing a self-starved sacrificial hard support style intended to trade your progression for an ally's, and even that is a dice roll in your favor because even morons tend to win more games if you're spoon feeding them advantages.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

There is nothing finer in dota than chasing people down the with napalm/ion shell combo in RAD. It's broken from level 2.

A lot of combos are broken, but nothing so hard that you can basically wipe a team from level 2.

Napalm / Shackle is my favorite. Ion Shell usually gets picked ASAP if you pick Napalm cause people know what will happen, plus they can run from you. 2 stacks of level 1 Napalm and level 1 Shackle will kill almost any hero from 100% hp without them being able to do anything, and from then on you get a kill every time shackle comes off cooldown unless they can keep you stunned.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Well yeah you can be instrumental in a win as a support sometimes but you do not nearly as much ability to make the impact that the other roles can make.

You can make perfect smoke ganks roaming. You can pull correctly. You can zone. You can deny. You can ward. These are all things that just create the opportunity for your teammate to take advantage, but if they are low skill level. They will miss easy CS in a zoned lane. Be asleep at the wheel during your gank. Walk into the enemy as soon as you step out of the lane to pull.
Chances are your carries are likely to be almost exactly as good as your opponents, so if you play support well, you win.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chocolatebuddha posted:

"MMR Hell" is not a location, it's a definition. MMR is hell, MMR never changes.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
There is a rather large difference in a guy who mainly plays support at one mmr over the next. I play with people between 2500 and 5k mmr and the difference in like, say 3000 and 3500 (most of the players here) is pretty big, nevermind like 3k and 5k.

If you guys ever want to see some elite support just queue or watch fellow goon minrad.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I would much rather support a bad carry, than play a carry with a bad support.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

Massively agreed.

The reason I play support almost all of the time is because it means we definitely get a courier, upgraded very close to 3:00, and wards bought and placed, plus dust and all that.

Every time I see some terrible ES get a bunch of stuff at the start of the game without even getting a courier (no wards I understand, if hate), I know I'm going to have a bad time.

sesh
Aug 19, 2010

I spent a lot of time asking around and looking for 5k+ mmr mainly-support players and all I came up with were:

1) earth spirits
2) zenigata http://dotabuff.com/players/86740536 (aka this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKIB_d2h0ZY )
3) this peruvian dude 'joel' http://dotabuff.com/players/118948478
4) ppd is kind of an honorable mention because he mostly randoms and keeps hard supports

But if anyone else has found other high mmr supports I'd like to know so I can watch their replays.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006

Srice posted:

Not me but it's all perspective. The difference is you can at least hope to get back in a game gone wrong with a carry. If the game goes wrong early and you're a support you're more or less screwed if your carry sucks. That, and you can't force people to farm. Some (most) people carry can_not_last_hit. Seeing a carry get 150 cs in a 40 minute game is soul crushing, but I guess seeing a support fail to zone out / smoke gank when appropriate / just be an exp vacuum is probably similar.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Chocolatebuddha posted:

I understood what you said perfectly, I just feel that if you ever come out of a game feeling that you didn't have an impact, you weren't playing "correctly"

King of Spit
May 18, 2006

sesh posted:

I spent a lot of time asking around and looking for 5k+ mmr mainly-support players and all I came up with were:

1) earth spirits
2) zenigata http://dotabuff.com/players/86740536 (aka this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKIB_d2h0ZY )
4) ppd is kind of an honorable mention because he mostly randoms and keeps hard supports

But if anyone else has found other high mmr supports I'd like to know so I can watch their replays.

ixmike is around 5k and Minrad is around 5k, both basically play exclusive supports.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

King of Spit posted:

Not me but it's all perspective. The difference is you can at least hope to get back in a game gone wrong with a carry. If the game goes wrong early and you're a support you're more or less screwed if your carry sucks. That, and you can't force people to farm. Some (most) people carry can_not_last_hit. Seeing a carry get 150 cs in a 40 minute game is soul crushing, but I guess seeing a support fail to zone out / smoke gank when appropriate / just be an exp vacuum is probably similar.

My rationale is, I can forcefeed the carry (and mid) kills and space as a support, but if a support does not know how to help me out as a carry I am up poo poo creek without a paddle.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!

jBrereton posted:

Chances are your carries are likely to be almost exactly as good as your opponents, so if you play support well, you win.

I don't think that exactly follows. That ignores character choice. Team comp etc. The reason people play high impact mids is because they are heroes that have the ability to cut through all of that typical bullshit and just wreck face.

Hell I did it with an alt account I was trying to level to 13 to play ranked. I turned on music muted the game, picked lycan every time and never lost a game. There is no way I would have been able to do that with a support.

sesh
Aug 19, 2010

King of Spit posted:

ixmike is around 5k and Minrad is around 5k, both basically play exclusive supports.

check ixmike's dotabuff, you'll find he doesn't play very much support at all in mm. as for minrad does he play solo or in a stack?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also, smdh if you play support and don't take a smoke with you from the start. Unless you're like, Io or something. That poo poo can snowball your early game momentum!

For the people that don't buy it, consider this: It breaks at a distance of 1025. Most stuns and such have a range of 500-700ish. You know what this means? It means whoever you're ganking will usually have around 1-1.5 seconds to react to you (and that's not counting their turn time if they're focusing on last hits!). Unless they're playing something like Mirana that can quickly get away, a mid that's standing in the river can be an easy kill, especially if you bring your other support with you.

Smoke owns and isn't just for competitive play or group ganks. Use it and love it!

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I asked Pizza Hut to draw the best Dota hero on my pizza box.

It's not Ogre Magi but it'll do.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Dear Gaben,

A friend of mine has a hero he plays a lot of, and I just picked them up recently and its made me realize he is totally lovely at that hero. We lose every time he plays them dispite assuring me it's his best hero. I don't want to hurt his feelings, he's a competent guy but is attached to a completely lovely build and playstyle.

How do I tell him his hero is great but he just sucks and needs to not play them, or needs to change his playstyle without hurting his dotapride?

Signed

Fed up with feeding

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Philosopher King posted:

Dear Gaben,

A friend of mine has a hero he plays a lot of, and I just picked them up recently and its made me realize he is totally lovely at that hero. We lose every time he plays them dispite assuring me it's his best hero. I don't want to hurt his feelings, he's a competent guy but is attached to a completely lovely build and playstyle.

How do I tell him his hero is great but he just sucks and needs to not play them, or needs to change his playstyle without hurting his dotapride?

Signed

Fed up with feeding

That is quite vague but a good place to start might be looking up tournament games with that hero? Unless it's someone that's not in Captain's Mode or is never used, that is. Of course it's not always wise to copy pro builds to the letter since a lot of unique builds happen due to circumstances but heck, if it's that bad then it would surely be an improvement at least.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Getting disconnected from the server today and it's probably affecting my alleged trustworthiness :(

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

AXE COP posted:

Also titles own and are way more memorable and cool than names. League comes off as dumb and flat when you're a giant sea monster man and you're just called Dave.

Nautilus is a kickass name, I dunno what you're talking about :/

Also I hope Free To Play finds a way to sneak an SFM of Skeleton King in there. I know he didn't get played, but come on. I need one last glance at the Boner King.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

Nautilus is a kickass name, I dunno what you're talking about
Nautilus reminds me of my favorite JRPG developer, and then it makes me sad because they're out of business. gently caress League of Legends.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

sesh posted:

1) earth spirits

Aui_2000 randoms every game and plays tryhard. If he gets a hard support he'll play it like a hard support.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
NoTail plays supports pretty frequently and is sick nasty with rhasta. The plays are good, he uses his skills and whatever, but when he gets to the point where he's micro'ing an eye on the courier to swap out an item to deward locations where you'd think the enemy would never ward, it starts to get unreal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Philosopher King posted:

Dear Gaben,

Signed

Fed up with feeding

Tell him he sucks at the hero and link him to a guide that explains why. Nobody should get offended about being told they are playing a hero wrong, provided you actually explain why.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Do goon games still happen in lljk? Or have people moved on to something new?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Philosopher King posted:

Dear Gaben,

Signed

Fed up with feeding

The only reasonable thing to do is sabotage him and then report him for intentional feeding.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Philosopher King posted:

Dear Gaben,

Signed

Fed up with feeding

Sever.

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001

Chocolatebuddha posted:

If this were true, we would expect high impact mids to have pretty good win rates in pubs. And yet what do we find?

Shadow Fiend -- 48.55%
Pudge -- 48.02%
Dragon Knight -- 47.79%
Invoker -- 47.02%
Templar Assassin -- 45.13%
Magnus -- 44.99%
Storm Spirit -- 44.97%
Outworld Devourer -- 44.60%
Puck -- 44.45%
Queen of Pain -- 42.91%
Tinker -- 42.89%

(The "common" mids that actually have strong win rates are Zeus, Death Prophet, Necrolyte, and :siren: Bloodseeker :siren:, but they somehow never get mentioned in these high impact mid discussions)

If you're a 6k player on a 3k account, then yes, Storm Spirit mid is likely a pretty efficient way to gain ranking because he both has pretty good item scaling and early game impact and comes in a relatively safe laning package in an environment where you massively outskill the other mid and will never actually see a mid gank. If you're a player on a 3k account who thinks they're a 6k player with no actual proof, then you're not going to have those returns. You'll also probably end up arguing with the insta-lock Invoker who thinks they're the 6k player that deserves mid, at which point you've practically lost the game before it's even begun.

So if you're a mediocre player at a mediocre rating playing against other mediocre players, and for some reason you want to game your MMR so you can pretend you're less mediocre than all those other people dragging you down, you're much better off picking flexible heroes that are strong in the current patch. If you think you might need to mid you can take a hero like Viper, Death Prophet, Warlock, or Shadow Shaman so that when 5th pick slams down Pudge 5 seconds before creeps spawn you're perfectly fine in a sidelane. If you're seeing a lot of lane dependent carries on your team you can take Lich to ensure you win one lane, or Abaddon if you want to support with a platform to have some (limited) carry potential, or Centaur if you think you can bully some fragile ranged heroes in trades, or a Static Link "support" Razor to make some melee heroes miserable while then being able to transition to a tower demolishing semi-carry if your lane partner's last hitting is completely incompetent. Or you can just Lycan and do whatever because it's Lycan.

And hey, if you want to pick up Queen of Pain or Puck or Tinker or Lone Druid in pub play just because you want to expand your hero pool and mechanics then absolutely go for it. Just don't pretend they're the fast train to 6k because they empirically are not.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

http://fwosh.tumblr.com/post/79585090465/

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

Tell him he sucks at the hero and link him to a guide that explains why. Nobody should get offended about being told they are playing a hero wrong, provided you actually explain why.

"But it's been working just fine so far!"

I've had to deal with this kind of friend before and it can be a real pain. It took another friend of ours pointing out how his winrate dropped 10% after the bad friend joined us to convince him that hey, maybe it's not working fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Today I randomed sniper :allears:

• Locked thread