Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I always thought a good avatar game would just be a smaller scale game based on the pro-bending sport in the legend of korra. None of this destined-to-be-awful grand video game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Policenaut posted:

Let's just cut to the chase and start stealing powers from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. So Infamous 4 stars a really effeminate yet muscle-y teenager with the power to stop time, create zippers in anything, control the direction of gravity, turn people inside out, and fast-forward the aging process.

inFamous is a Westernized spinoff of One Piece where everyone ate a Logia

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Ularg posted:

I always thought a good avatar game would just be a smaller scale game based on the pro-bending sport in the legend of korra. None of this destined-to-be-awful grand video game design.

If they made an Avatar game that was just a pro-bending simulator they would be actively trying to gently caress with fans.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

PantsBandit posted:

If they made an Avatar game that was just a pro-bending simulator they would be actively trying to gently caress with fans.

I don't get it, I haven't watched since the first season. Just seems like any other game based on that property will go the route of a harry potter or DBZ game and just be really, really bad.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ineffiable posted:

No.

Have sicker punch make a story based Jojos bizarre adventure. They don't even have to write the story, just adapt it. And if they do the comic book cutscenes, just match the style. It'd work for Jojo.

R3 must be used for fabulous posing.

I dunno, Bamco and CyberConnect2 nailed JoJo's aesthetic pretty drat hard with All Star Battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7DDnpw2T68

They could probably just start there and make an action adventure game out of it like Capcom did with Part 5.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A good Avatar game would be a good Samurai Shodown game but with Avatar stuff.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rubicon posted:

They could have made it a quasi-summoning power with hard illusions or something. Modern day Seattle would have plenty of video game or movie inspirations.

The knight from the Dark Souls covers charging the DUP. The clickers from The Last of Us munching on random civilians. Ulimate power could have been a gigantic Godzilla inspired monster rampaging.

I'm kinda sad that PS All Stars Battle Royale turned out terrible and was forgotten because I always wish more companies with huge IP libraries would go the Smash Brothers route and make them all fight each other.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

haveblue posted:

I'm kinda sad that PS All Stars Battle Royale turned out terrible and was forgotten because I always wish more companies with huge IP libraries would go the Smash Brothers route and make them all fight each other.

Is there anything else notable like this? All I can think of is Onimusha Blade Warriors since that had Battle Network Man and Mega Man Zero in it. Hudson dumped all their characters into Saturn Bomberman and also they did TV World Fighters which, while a terrible game, IS a Smash Bros. clone with Optimus Prime, Megatron, Polly Pocket, Simon Belmont, Solid Snake, Master Takahashi, etc.

Playstation All-Stars' biggest flaw was trying in the design process to be different from Smash Bros. They did the stupid thing and listened to the cries of super fans and MLG chumps and the result was crap.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Ularg posted:

I don't get it, I haven't watched since the first season. Just seems like any other game based on that property will go the route of a harry potter or DBZ game and just be really, really bad.

It's just that there were a ton of people looking forward to new Avatar and then the majority of the first season back revolves around them playing some weird sport with elemental powers instead of getting into badass kung fu fights. And the DBZ games are rad.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

There was that TMNT Smash Bros clone that only had like 12 characters and three of them were Ubisoft's Rabbids.

I kinda liked Playstation All-Stars, though. It's too bad it sold so poorly because now there's no way we're ever getting an improved sequel. :smith:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jaypeeh posted:

I know the answer is probably no, after googling and finding no confirmation or disconfirmation, but does towerfall allow you to use the vita as a controller? I wanna play it at a party tonight but I feel the 2 controllers I have will be not as exciting.. But 3 players might be acceptable, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna buy 2 more controllers!

You can always use a Vita as an extra controller through remote play!

This probably should be an advertised feature, because though self evident it might not be immediately obvious.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
In any of these of infamous streams has there been blast shards?

If I don't spend literally 5 days searching for the final one to platinum the game like infamous 1 I will be disappointed.

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

Rinkles posted:

You can always use a Vita as an extra controller through remote play!

This probably should be an advertised feature, because though self evident it might not be immediately obvious.

No poo poo? I think I had only used remote play when I had the tv on another input. So I just choose remote play and it'll have the game on both screens?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Malt posted:

In any of these of infamous streams has there been blast shards?

If I don't spend literally 5 days searching for the final one to platinum the game like infamous 1 I will be disappointed.

They added a much better power to help you search for them in Infamous 2, I can't imagine they'd have got rid of that.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Towerfall single player is a lot of fun. It's simplistic, but challenging enough to be interesting.

If you're only going to do the single player, you probably shouldn't buy it at full price, but if it ever goes on sale for like $5 or something then I'd say that would be worth it.

Edit: How do I find the trophies for this game? I thought there weren't any, but then I just got one.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 14, 2014

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

Bass Bottles posted:

Towerfall single player is a lot of fun. It's simplistic, but challenging enough to be interesting.

If you're only going to do the single player, you probably shouldn't buy it at full price, but if it ever goes on sale for like $5 or something then I'd say that would be worth it.

I'm mostly interested in it for the videogame dude-night I'm having with some friends tonight. We can hardly ever find any 4 player games that are any fun, so I'm pretty intrigued by this game for occasional parties. If I can use the vita as a controller then I might be able to justify buying a third dual shock4 and the game just to ensure we have an awesome 4 player game for tonight and future parties. Still in the fence though because that's still $80ish bucks for something I'll mostly play every couple of weeks with friends. Maybe I'll just stick with having 3 players and we can take turns. I don't suppose any if the usual retailers have a policy of letting you return a controller for money back or store credit, rather than just a replacement?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jaypeeh posted:

No poo poo? I think I had only used remote play when I had the tv on another input. So I just choose remote play and it'll have the game on both screens?

Yes - tv output isn't disabled when using RP.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

rabidsquid posted:

Max Headroom broadcast intrusion power confirmed.

Called it :colbert:

Jignx
Feb 17, 2006
~♥Bringer of Light♥~
Full infamous spoilers for 3rd powers here.

Delsin gets the 3rd power from this nerdy gamer named Eugene who plays an RPG called angels and demons or something. Eugene's powers allow him to create angels and demons from his game that fly out of the video screens. You fight him in virtual world that resembles hell, his form in the virtual world is this giant flying demon.

Description of the Video Powers (not official names btw)
Video Sword: A giant blue digital looking sword that is used for melee combat.

Invisible Stealth: When activated, a projection of you is created before you go invisible so enemies will keep attacking this projection. You can then sneak around completely unseen and perform stealth kills. The effect looks like the stealth camo from Metal Gear Solid 1 that Cyborg Ninja and Otocon used.

Sword Spears: A bunch of blue digital looking swords encircle an enemy and rains down on them

Video Torrent: Rapid fire of these digital blue pixel like projectiles.

Angel Flight: Blue digital wings appear that allows you to quickly fly up the side of buildings faster than neon. You can hover across the screen faster than hovering with the other powers. You can get a boost up into the air by dashing into satellites. It is not true flight but more a variation of the other traversal powers. Perhaps it can be upgraded.

Angel Storm: The super power attack you get from building up your postive or negative karma, you summon dozens of digital looking angels that fly straight up into the sky and then drop down on enemies.

The video power is drained from satellites and video screens.

These powers can be upgraded and may function differently than described.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jignx posted:

Full infamous spoilers for 3rd powers here.

(big block of information)

Alright, at least there's SOME context to it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So my internet power guess wasn't that far off the mark.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Let's just cut to the chase and start stealing powers from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. So Infamous 4 stars a really effeminate yet muscle-y teenager with the power to stop time, create zippers in anything, control the direction of gravity, turn people inside out, and fast-forward the aging process.

I would murder for this. Dishonored let me live out part of that fantasy.

Anyway, I hope Driveclub or at least some racing analog comes out soon for PS4. My biggest gripe is that I generally prefer Forza to GT, but I'm a fan of pretty much all driving games. Oh well, in a few days I'll at least be distracted by Ground Zeroes and then Infamous.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Sony sent me two emails back to back today saying they shipped my controller back...each message was missing the tracking #.

It's been a week without ps4, come on!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well after hearing about the power of YouTube I can safely say I'm excited to get this game from GameFly sometime in the not too distant future.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

So that's three powers. Will there be more?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bass Bottles posted:

Edit: How do I find the trophies for this game? I thought there weren't any, but then I just got one.

Seconding this, and I think it's worth the price for sp. The game feels perfect solo and has such tight control and gameplay that it's really easy to lose yourself in the game. It's very retro but if your appreciate the aesthetic and controls from that kind of era you'll enjoy it. Anyone want to clue me in on how to unlock things? I saw mention of unlocks in a few reviews but I haven't found anything since I've been playing quest mode.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Welp, thanks to those guys who didn't bother using spoiler tags for spoiling the third power in Infamous

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Boo loving hoo you baby. Third power known, game is ruined for me on release! :qq: Now to cancel my pre-order.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Remember like 5 months ago there was some kind of Street Fighter ad campaign called "Hadouken Cabs"? Whatever happened with that? It was supposed to be Playstation related but I feel like we never heard anything.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Tenacious J posted:

So that's three powers. Will there be more?

There are eight powers in the game. Yes.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

DrNutt posted:

Boo loving hoo you baby. Third power known, game is ruined for me on release! :qq: Now to cancel my pre-order.

That's not what I said at all. You don't have to be so hyperbolic.

Smoke looked cool and neon looked cool, and I would've liked to discover the rest of the game for myself. That's one less thing to be surprised by, because people couldn't keep spoilers about a game that's still a week from release out of the general console discussion thread. Why do I even have to explain this?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Remember like 5 months ago there was some kind of Street Fighter ad campaign called "Hadouken Cabs"? Whatever happened with that? It was supposed to be Playstation related but I feel like we never heard anything.

It was a teaser for a PS4 commercial with nods to a bunch of games - the cab's in it. Obnoxious voice over, but higher production values than any of the live action ads SCEA puts out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dR28fXFDMI

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

So Dead Nation hard locked my PS4. I think maybe I'll just delete that one for now

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Looks like if you're in Canada PS4 is getting a $50 price hike. Controllers, cameras, games etc are going up too. :(

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/14/playstation-4-prices-going-up-in-canada

Assholes. I know they're going :qq: But the weak canadian dollar :qq: but if the dollar was extremely strong would they reduce the price?

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Spalec posted:

Looks like if you're in Canada PS4 is getting a $50 price hike. Controllers, cameras, games etc are going up too. :(

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/03/14/playstation-4-prices-going-up-in-canada

Assholes. I know they're going :qq: But the weak canadian dollar :qq: but if the dollar was extremely strong would they reduce the price?

Apparently, Microsoft has enough wit to not follow suit. Dumb decision by Sony.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Back when the dollar got strong enough to be at parity with the US it took them ages to adjust prices, predictably.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

DarkJC posted:

Back when the dollar got strong enough to be at parity with the US it took them ages to adjust prices, predictably.

It actually didn't adjust until the dollar began to go back down. This drat country

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

It was a teaser for a PS4 commercial with nods to a bunch of games - the cab's in it. Obnoxious voice over, but higher production values than any of the live action ads SCEA puts out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dR28fXFDMI

Seriously? They staged a viral ad campaign for a commercial?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So since there isn't much going on in the world as far as games I'm going to state I really like the power led bar on the ps4 itself. I just picked up an HDMI switcher today and sat down to this.

Please stop doing this electronics manufacturers.

Photex fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Seriously? They staged a viral ad campaign for a commercial?

The internet has a tendency for distorting proportions, but the agency probably should've known better (or it did so knowingly).

• Locked thread