Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

I think on the basis of that one race, the Vettelreich is not dead yet. RBR clearly have stacks of performance to unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Sulman posted:

I think on the basis of that one race, the Vettelreich is not dead yet. RBR clearly have stacks of performance to unlock.

Personally I hope they really are using too much fuel and therefor should be slower than Danny was today

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Seriously?

Look, I know I only JUST started trying to follow the sport, but being disqualified for using too much fuel? That's bullshit. Using extra fuel required you to have more weight in your car and run the risk of having extra pit stops. Why limit how much fuel somebody could use?

Dont make posts like this if you dont understand the sport.

Red Bull were cheating, they were warned they were above the limit, but instead of turning the engine down and letting the Mclarens overtake Riccardio, they decided to ignore the warning and carried on. Now they've been disqualified.

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002
With his 13th place finish, Chilton has improved from his best of last year (14th at Monaco).

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Adam Cooper reckons RBR may have a case, in that other teams ran under target to be on the safe side. Ah, F1. This is probably going to be this year's Pirelli.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Filthy Luker posted:

With his 13th place finish, Chilton has improved from his best of last year (14th at Monaco).

I'm almost ready to think of him as 'Our Max' :britain:

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005

Sulman posted:

Adam Cooper reckons RBR may have a case, in that other teams ran under target to be on the safe side. Ah, F1. This is probably going to be this year's Pirelli.
It depends what you mean by a case. Yes, in that other teams may also think it's possible the meters could be inaccurate (thus, unlike RBR, they are playing it safe). No, in that it doesn't mean a team can disregard the official FIA meters and instructions, and use their own. The appeal, from what we've heard, seems like it has no merit.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Sulman posted:

By this year's Pirelli do you mean they're gonna use politics and the weight of owning 2 teams out of 11 to get the rule changed in their favor?

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
The FIA need to uphold Red Bull's appeal, on the basis that the FIA's fuel flow testing device was insufficient.

They then need to retrospectively remove Red Bull and Vettel's past championship wins, on the basis that the FIA's front wing flex testing device was insufficient.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Filthy Luker posted:

Even his car breaking down on the grid can't stop him

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hmm, turns out the Red Bull is a cheated up piece of poo poo after all. They will be poo poo again in Malaysia, lads.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

monkeytennis posted:

I'm almost ready to think of him as 'Our Max' :britain:

We'll have to at some point.

Button isn't getting any younger (or quicker) and Lewis isn't getting any less goony.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

darth cookie posted:

Sort of. Depends on whether you believe Schumacher was 'great.' He certainly put in the hours (constant testing) but he also benefitted from bespoke tires, the best car, a weak teammate, a ridiculously rich team, and at the time, the FIA was called Ferrari International Assistance only half jokingly.

In their own ways, you could make a rational case that neither was/is as great as their results suggest. It's an inevitable byproduct of the money, politics and ever evolving technology of the sport.

Schumacher, at the very least, spent five years with a Benetton team that had only just been able to win one or two GPs per year, won two titles, then spent another five years turning a lethargic Ferrari team (and really, if you think Ferrari have been disappointing the last few years, it's nothing like how bad they were in the early '90s) into maybe the single best-run team the sport's ever seen. His early 00s results are ridiculous, but you got the sense that Ferrari owed almost all their results to the hard work of Schumacher/Todt/Byrne/Brawn.

Red Bull, on the other hand, are a contemptible fizzy drinks company who have poured money into the Vettel Project from a young age. He is probably a very good driver, or else he wouldn't have beaten the approximately 500 other Red Bull development drivers in lower formulae- unfortunately, he's consistently had the best car in the field since the last half of 2009, almost all of his wins are boring dominations that come from the front row (not that those wins don't count- but even in the height of the Schumi Era, he'd throw in a USGP 2003 or Brazil 2006 to remind everyone that he was *almost* as good as his results), and he had absurd luck to win the 2012 title.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Button isn't getting any younger (or quicker)

He got quicker without the race even being in progress, just now :v:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Fanatic posted:

That's so disappointing. :(

This could relate to anything and I still agree.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Two things stood out for me - no extended tyre talk, for the first time since 2012, and fuel saving wasn't an issue, at least at this track.

Malaysia will be interesting, lots of tilke corners and long straights. Teams can't do much to the cats overseas in a week, either.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Our Koby is innocent! http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/03/16/kobayashi-responsible-massa-crash-stewards/

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Rosberg is the prettiest driver to ever win an Australian GP, y/n?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I think Mercedes have a bigger advantage over the rest of the field than Red Bull had last season, thankfully at least Mercedes have two drivers capable of winning races so it shouldn't be as boring.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
I passed out at like 3am but Magnussen :')

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I just read Horners moaning about how the immature fuel sensor technology isn't working on hardly anyones cars. if that's the case then, why haven't other teams being pulled up for it?
Horner, you cheated, you got caught, suck it up.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I just read Horners moaning about how the immature fuel sensor technology isn't working on hardly anyones cars. if that's the case then, why haven't other teams being pulled up for it?

Ricciardo is a cool kid but drat I hope these fuckers don't finish a single race this season.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Was this what Montezemolo was alluding to earlier in the week? Have other teams known RBR planned to flout the meter?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
So Magnussen moves up to 2nd beating Lewis's debut with McLaren. The White Senna.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just watching the post race interviews and decided to check the thread, so found out about the DQ. gently caress RBR for doing that to Ricciardio, he was so happy :(

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Feel really bad about Hamilton and I'm sure red bull cheated but I feel bad for Ricciardo as a person, I really like that dude.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with everything and I'm pretty optimistic about this season.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sulman posted:

Was this what Montezemolo was alluding to earlier in the week? Have other teams known RBR planned to flout the meter?

The FIA knew Red Bull were ignoring their meter which is why they gave them a 'friendly' warning during the race. Red Bull ignored it.

front wing flexing posted:

Feel really bad about Hamilton and I'm sure red bull cheated but I feel bad for Ricciardo as a person, I really like that dude.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with everything and I'm pretty optimistic about this season.

I can see where you're coming with about Ricciardo, I quite like the guy. However you have to think that the Red Bull was going faster than it should have been legal to. Explains how he suddenly pulled away from Magnusson in the last few laps.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

serious gaylord posted:

The FIA knew Red Bull were ignoring their meter which is why they gave them a 'friendly' warning during the race. Red Bull ignored it.

I can see where you're coming with about Ricciardo, I quite like the guy. However you have to think that the Red Bull was going faster than it should have been legal to. Explains how he suddenly pulled away from Magnusson in the last few laps.

Yeah, I agree, it seems to be a legit and fair penalty. Still feel bad for him though. I feel really bad for Australian fans too, that's gotta sting.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

front wing flexing posted:

Yeah, I agree, it seems to be a legit and fair penalty. Still feel bad for him though. I feel really bad for Australian fans too, that's gotta sting.

The majority of them will still think hes come 2nd until they get home so they'll have had a great day tbh.

But still, it just reeks of Red Bull thinking they can flout the rules again.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

one thing I caught in the commentary, Kvyat is now the youngest point scorer in F1, beating Sebastian Vettel's record. That's one Vettel won't get back.

I was a little unsure whether the new engine noises would be sufficient to lull me to sleep, but since I drifted off roughly mid race and woke up 3 laps from the end, I guess not much has changed there!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
:toot: Now will Massa take back his petulant whine for Kamui to get a race ban?

No.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Linedance posted:

one thing I caught in the commentary, Kvyat is now the youngest point scorer in F1, beating Sebastian Vettel's record. That's one Vettel won't get back.

I was a little unsure whether the new engine noises would be sufficient to lull me to sleep, but since I drifted off roughly mid race and woke up 3 laps from the end, I guess not much has changed there!

I had zero problems with the sound. I actually really enjoyed being able to not only hear the drivers nice and clearly, but also hear the lock ups, the puncture that Bottas had, and all the tyre squealing as they left the pits.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Sulman posted:

Two things stood out for me - no extended tyre talk, for the first time since 2012, and fuel saving wasn't an issue, at least at this track.

Malaysia will be interesting, lots of tilke corners and long straights. Teams can't do much to the cats overseas in a week, either.

The safety car session pretty much took care of the fuel situation before it became a situation.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They reckon only Canada is a real problem for the fuel because of its high speed straights then slow speed corners means they'll burn a lot more fuel due to the constant hard acceleration. Tilkedromes will be easy on the fuel tank.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hammer Floyd posted:

Seriously?

Look, I know I only JUST started trying to follow the sport, but being disqualified for using too much fuel? That's bullshit. Using extra fuel required you to have more weight in your car and run the risk of having extra pit stops. Why limit how much fuel somebody could use?

That's not exactly what happened. The cars get 100KG of fuel for each race and can not exceed 100KG/H of fuel rate. Those might sound at odds because a race lasts from an hour and a half to two hours, but they are not. The cars will not exceed more than 100KG/Hr because they have more than just the combustion engine to provide power. They have an electric boost to use which adds power and saves fuel. So at some points they might be using 30kg/h and other times might go up to 100. The point being that at any moment during the race, the fuel rate can not exceed 100kg/h.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I had zero problems with the sound. I actually really enjoyed being able to not only hear the drivers nice and clearly, but also hear the lock ups, the puncture that Bottas had, and all the tyre squealing as they left the pits.

Yeah I think it's pretty neat sounding, when you can hear it over the constant yapping of the commentators. I get that it's the first race of the year so there's a lot to talk about, but I liked the times in the past where they'd just shut up for a while and watch the onboard. I guess with the v8s and previous, you could always hear the engines while the commentary was going, but now that they're quieter they booth dudes need to shut their traps a little more frequently, or whisper like golf or tennis or something.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Brilliant race, great result, shame Red Bull hosed their number 2 by sticking two fingers up at the FIA. What did they think would happen?

Rundown for those not bothering to read the steward's report:
  • FP1: Red Bull do 4 runs with Ricciardo's car, the sensor reading on run 4 doesn't seem to match the first three runs.
  • FP2: The sensor is consistent with run 4 in FP1.
  • Saturday: New sensor which is agreed to be unsatisfactory for unspecified reasons by both Red Bull and FIA, FIA tells Red Bull to put back in the original sensor, with a calibration offset that would have ensured a legal fuel rate.
  • Race: Sensor matches FP2 and FP1 run 4 when the offset is accounted for.
  • Red Bull decide they don't like the sensor because it doesn't match their models so they decide to go with their models rather than the sensor.
  • FIA representative notifies Red Bull that the sensor is consistently showing an illegal fuel flow rate and to sort it out
  • Red Bull choose to ignore the representative

They are not going to win the appeal.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah if all the other teams were ignoring the sensor which, according to Horner, they all say doesnt work then they might have a leg to stand on. The fact they followed the rules and Red Bull decided they didnt have to is what will get them hosed over.

willcrouch
Jul 2, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Brilliant race, great result, shame Red Bull hosed their number 2 by sticking two fingers up at the FIA. What did they think would happen?

Rundown for those not bothering to read the steward's report:
  • FP1: Red Bull do 4 runs with Ricciardo's car, the sensor reading on run 4 doesn't seem to match the first three runs.
  • FP2: The sensor is consistent with run 4 in FP1.
  • Saturday: New sensor which is agreed to be unsatisfactory for unspecified reasons by both Red Bull and FIA, FIA tells Red Bull to put back in the original sensor, with a calibration offset that would have ensured a legal fuel rate.
  • Race: Sensor matches FP2 and FP1 run 4 when the offset is accounted for.
  • Red Bull decide they don't like the sensor because it doesn't match their models so they decide to go with their models rather than the sensor.
  • FIA representative notifies Red Bull that the sensor is consistently showing an illegal fuel flow rate and to sort it out
  • Red Bull choose to ignore the representative

They are not going to win the appeal.

I feel like RedBull is just going :spergin: "Our numbers are right, gently caress everyone, you can't make me, its my championship toy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There is a clear procedure to follow if the sensor isn't working, and Red Bull decided to ignore it and do their own thing then play the victim to the press when they got caught red-handed. If they'd turned it down as they were told, the worst they would have got was 4th place, and might even have managed to keep 3rd. As it is they're flying away from Australia with 0 points and a pissed off Aussie number 2 driver.

• Locked thread