Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

meat sweats posted:

Asking people who claim to support gay rights to patronize any restaurant in the world besides Chick Fil A to avoid directly contributing to anti-gay causes = literally being the Tea Party.

Another victory for progressives!

The way you're going about it? Yeah the Tea Party comparison is apt and appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

meat sweats posted:

Asking people who claim to support gay rights to patronize any restaurant in the world besides Chick Fil A to avoid directly contributing to anti-gay causes = literally being the Tea Party.

Another victory for progressives!

Accusing actual gay people of being sellouts (or not "allies", loving :laffo:) because they don't maintain the same frothing rage that you do in perpetuity = being a progressive. Hope you boycott Bayer, Volkswagen, Hugo Boss, et al!

Seriously. I'm not giving CFA my money because I know that the Cathy family themselves are engaged in funding anti-gay groups, regardless of WinShape, and because I don't like the anti-competitive actions they've taken against other food businesses on some of the local college campuses, but I'm not going to start loving screaming at gay people that they're sellout traitors to the cause who are afraid of alienating black people or whatever because they eat a loving chicken sandwich. That's not being an ally - that's being a holier-than-thou rear end in a top hat who thinks they know better than everyone inside the rights movement how best to support The Cause. It's like those guys who start screaming "internalized misogyny" at any woman who disagrees with their favorite Feminist Icon.

Chaos Personified
Oct 9, 2012

meat sweats posted:

But I'm not demanding that. I'm "demanding" that you buy your fried chicken sandwich from Wendy's instead of Chick-Fil-A. There is no more trivial or easy demand I could possibly be making. That you consider "asking anyone to do literally anything" to be "an impossible level of ideological purity" is stupid.

Seek therapy. No, really, being abused and victimized for most of your life can cause some very problematic anxiety issues. You are cool voicing how you believe that buying Chick-Fil-A is bad, but then moving beyond that and berating someone else for disagreeing with you shows a very poor sense of self-worth. We can understand that you are hesitant about others supporting programs that are detrimental, but currently it is not really supported by the info that people are by buying Chick-Fil-A. They shouldn't because Chick-Fil-A is lovely, greasy fast-food that should be thrown into the nearest incinerator, but there is just no accounting for taste.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

We do have Chick-Fil-A in Michigan! One, and only one, on the campus of my old university. They had to very pointedly put up signs everywhere saying how they were not tied to the main corporation and even had a survey asking if people wanted to kick the place out of the uni :v:

Sup SEMichigoon. :hfive: I lived on that campus for 6 months while working nearby and had no idea there was a Chick-Fil-A there, not that I would have gone anyway.

In non LANChat-

DreamShipWrecked posted:

E. Also, in Michigan news, the Attorney General said that the licenses couldn't be immediately handed out if the ruling to drop the ban is appealed. Unclear on if that includes ruling it unconstitutional

Is this basically a reiteration of his "order" to Clerks back in October that Lisa Brown testified about? Since the clerks don't work for him, it seems like it would have all the repercussions of Schuette holding his breath until he turned blue.

Also:

Punchable, or most punchable?

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Chaos Personified posted:

Seek therapy. No, really, being abused and victimized for most of your life can cause some very problematic anxiety issues. You are cool voicing how you believe that buying Chick-Fil-A is bad, but then moving beyond that and berating someone else for disagreeing with you shows a very poor sense of self-worth.

Oh man, am I the epidemic gay bullying of straights that Michelle Bachmann warned us about?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I went looking for anything I could find about gay marriage because I'm tired of reading about goddamned chicken sandwiches. I found an article about New Mexico couples filing their taxes jointly.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/03/09/3315413_new-mexico-gay-married-couples.html

You can read it if you want, but it's just a feel-good piece about how nice it is for people not to get constant reminders that someone thinks of them as abnormal or unworthy just because of who they are.

The women who challenged our county's clerk (and were, thus, the first same-sex couple to get married in this county) were talking to some people at church the other week about medical insurance, and one woman made a joke about birth control, and everybody got a good hearty laugh, and society held together.

This is probably a lot like legalized weed. One state does it, people nearby check in, see the effect is "meh", and figure they may as well throw in too. Kinda makes me hopeful for humanity.

(Yes I'm trying to change the subject.)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

cruft posted:

I went looking for anything I could find about gay marriage because I'm tired of reading about goddamned chicken sandwiches. I found an article about New Mexico couples filing their taxes jointly.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/03/09/3315413_new-mexico-gay-married-couples.html

You can read it if you want, but it's just a feel-good piece about how nice it is for people not to get constant reminders that someone thinks of them as abnormal or unworthy just because of who they are.

The women who challenged our county's clerk (and were, thus, the first same-sex couple to get married in this county) were talking to some people at church the other week about medical insurance, and one woman made a joke about birth control, and everybody got a good hearty laugh, and society held together.

This is probably a lot like legalized weed. One state does it, people nearby check in, see the effect is "meh", and figure they may as well throw in too. Kinda makes me hopeful for humanity.

(Yes I'm trying to change the subject.)

That's actually really cute. The only couples in the country that are legitimately excited to do their taxes :3:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

meat sweats posted:

Oh man, am I the epidemic gay bullying of straights that Michelle Bachmann warned us about?

You aren't being bullied, you're being given called out. Slight difference.

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 19, 2014

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's actually really cute. The only couples in the country that are legitimately excited to do their taxes :3:

It's a lot easier the younger you are. Mine took about an hour and a half.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
What the gently caress is up with this thread? We have people desperately defending their right to stuff their gullet by way of a corporation that was heavily involved in homophobic activity, only they maybe choose not to? What? And then "calling out" a dude who thinks it's inappropriate? It'd be hard to stoop much lower here.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

What the gently caress is up with this thread? We have people desperately defending their right to stuff their gullet by way of a corporation that was heavily involved in homophobic activity, only they maybe choose not to? What? And then "calling out" a dude who thinks it's inappropriate? It'd be hard to stoop much lower here.

I don't know, there was a married guy saying that gay folks should "wait their turn".

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Mercury_Storm posted:

I could drive it lower if you want.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Who gives a poo poo about CFA and their disgusting garbage meat? Go eat some real food that doesn't come from a national chain, you fatties.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ed: never mind, the new people coming in are messing things up even worse. whatever

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 19, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The way you're going about it? Yeah the Tea Party comparison is apt and appropriate.

I'm not even a gay man, I'm straight and married to a woman. But he's right, it's not hard to not frequent a lovely chicken joint and you and people like you that say otherwise are assholes and lovely "allies" who likely wouldn't do any good no matter how much the LGBTA panders to you.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I don't know, I think the first year after I got married, I was pretty jazzed about filing jointly. Afterwards, I realized it was still taxes, though :-(

But it's cool that more people can engage in the same pedestrian crap and be just as unenthusiastic about it as everybody else!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I don't know, there was a married guy saying that gay folks should "wait their turn".

But you see he was bisexual in a straight relationship! So therefore he was the one really being oppressed somehow?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Install Windows posted:

But you see he was bisexual in a straight relationship! So therefore he was the one really being oppressed somehow?

What page was this? Did it have any posts about chicken sandwiches?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Who What Now posted:

I'm not even a gay man, I'm straight and married to a woman. But he's right, it's not hard to not frequent a lovely chicken joint and you and people like you that say otherwise are assholes and lovely "allies" who likely wouldn't do any good no matter how much the LGBTA panders to you.
N4I is a gay man, BTW.

I don't go to CFA and haven't since like the 90's because I knew they were lovely to gay people and lovely to their employees and broke a lot of laws re: religious discrimination in the workplace. They are a bad company run by bad people and that's reason enough for me not to go there. poo poo, I boycotted Domino's way back when they donated a bunch of money to the Colorado anti-gay law back in the early 90's and haven't ordered from them since. I will not scream at you for going there though. Maybe make a disappointed face. :smith:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

SubponticatePoster posted:

I don't go to CFA and haven't since like the 90's because I knew they were lovely to gay people and lovely to their employees and broke a lot of laws re: religious discrimination in the workplace. They are a bad company run by bad people and that's reason enough for me not to go there. poo poo, I boycotted Domino's way back when they donated a bunch of money to the Colorado anti-gay law back in the early 90's and haven't ordered from them since. I will not scream at you for going there though. Maybe make a disappointed face. :smith:

If more fast food chains donated to anti-gay causes, how many more years would the average Internet Nerd live? Somebody get Nate Silver on the horn, we've got a live one here :downsgun:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Anyways, is there a single link to the pending litigation in the states that still have a ban? I'd like to read the various complaints and whatnot.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I read Utah's response and about fell down laughing. I'm beginning to believe they're purposely sabotaging their own defense of the ban it was so bad. It reads like some poo poo from the 1920's.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

transfatphobic posted:

2014 PAC Contribution Data
$20,000
Contributions from this PAC to federal candidates (list recipients)
(0% to Democrats, 100% to Republicans)

I really wish you wouldn't support an organization that directly funds the campaigns of conservatives who vote against gay marriage, it's working against marriage equality.

This got buried at the bottom of the last page and is a pretty good burn in my opinion.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Well as soon as everyone stops demanding I be banished from the cool kids club for intruding on your chickenfest and actually starts engaging with the substance of my posts, I'll be happy to point out why that's a lovely argument.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I read Utah's response and about fell down laughing. I'm beginning to believe they're purposely sabotaging their own defense of the ban it was so bad. It reads like some poo poo from the 1920's.

Care to provide some excerpts?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

All you guys have done with this argument is make me really want some chicken for dinner.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The last few overturns, including Michigan's "I'm not biased but all gays burn in hell" defense, have seemed remarkably phoned in. I can't help but wonder if the states are seeing how the wind is blowing and only giving a cursory defense in an effort to not gently caress up the legal system with all their nonsense.

Teddybear posted:

All you guys have done with this argument is make me really want some chicken for dinner.

Just as planned :smug:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Teddybear posted:

BY GOD SA IS PART OF THE NON-ALLY FAKE LGBTQA HOMOPHOBIC PRO-GAY-HOLOCAUST ILLUMINATI :tinfoil:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

meat sweats posted:

Well as soon as everyone stops demanding I be banished from the cool kids club for intruding on your chickenfest and actually starts engaging with the substance of my posts, I'll be happy to point out why that's a lovely argument.

Or you could just post your argument without preconditions? You leaving the conversation isn't exactly a threat, either argue your points or stop posting.

cafel fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 20, 2014

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

cruft posted:

Care to provide some excerpts?
Here's the whole thing: http://www.scribd.com/doc/212619626/Utah-s-brief-in-Kitchen-et-al-vs-Gary-Herbert-et-al

And some greatest hits:

The Salt Lake Tribune posted:

Letting Shelby’s decision stand would "bring active liberty to a screeching halt, replacing it with a homogenized, one-size-fits-all federal solution" on marriage, the state said.

It also would create "second-class sovereigns — those with populations the federal judiciary deems too backward or ill-informed to fall in line behind national opinion leaders."

Utah said Amendment 3, approved by voters in 2004, is a rational way to promote interest in heterosexual marriage and foster responsible procreation that "valorizes" opposite-sex parenting and benefits "all the state’s children, present and future."

Same-sex relationships, it claims, are primarily about "personal individual interests" and an "adult-centric" lifestyle and allowing such couples to marry would have multiple repercussions.

Those risks include: fewer and shorter heterosexual marriages; an increase in fatherless and motherless parenting; reduced birth rates and more out-of-wedlock births; less "self-sacrificing" by heterosexual fathers; and increased social strife, the state said.

It also would communicate that adult interests are paramount, that neither gender nor biology matter and would delink procreation from marriage, according to the brief.

The resulting message would be that there is no reason to get married to have children, the state said, and "may lead a busy or irresponsible biological parent (usually a father, but sometimes a mother), to assume that, so long as someone is taking care of the child, there is no need for him or her to be involved."

Allowing same-sex marriage would be a greater change to the institution than allowing polygamy or arranged marriages, the state said — though it also argued that polygamy may be inevitable if gay marriage is allowed.

Attorneys for the state also argued that no one is depriving homosexual citizens of access to marriage; rather, such individuals could but "for good reason" choose not to exercise that right.

"Utah law allows every person, regardless of sexual orientation or gender, to marry a person of the opposite sex," the state said, adding in a footnote that Utah "is not trying to punish nor attempting to change anyone’s sexual orientation."
So we have the even-rejected-by-Scalia argument that marriage is about procreation; that polygamy would make a comeback (ironic Mormon joke here), and that everyone is entitled to marry a person of the opposite sex so it's not discrimination. I think they're getting most of this poo poo from arguments first presented back in the early 90's...

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

meat sweats posted:

You pointed out that someone shouldn't get their fast food from CFA but instead get it from another place. With your hard stance on absolutely never giving money to anyone that wrongs gays you failed to find out that the alternatively you gave wasn't a very good option. It undermined your stance. However, I agree that people should be cautious and even avoid buying food from CFA because even if a personal boycott won't help much it's still using your purchasing power as a citizen to express your opinion. But your combative nature, especially when discussing things with people that these negative donations affect (gay people) dissuades anyone from agreeing with you regardless if you are right or wrong.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

less "self-sacrificing" by heterosexual fathers
:psyduck:

"Well, now that gays can get married too, there's no reason for me to be a good father to my children, I guess."

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Oraculum Animi posted:

You pointed out that someone shouldn't get their fast food from CFA but instead get it from another place. With your hard stance on absolutely never giving money to anyone that wrongs gays you failed to find out that the alternatively you gave wasn't a very good option. It undermined your stance. However, I agree that people should be cautious and even avoid buying food from CFA because even if a personal boycott won't help much it's still using your purchasing power as a citizen to express your opinion. But your combative nature, especially when discussing things with people that these negative donations affect (gay people) dissuades anyone from agreeing with you regardless if you are right or wrong.

My "hard stance" is that CFA supporting groups which literally engage in imprisoning gay teens in remote camps for "conversion therapy" or passing laws mandating the death penalty for homosexuality is wrong, and that CFA's continued blasting of its "pro-family faith" message makes it abundantly clear that the corporation, and its Christian supporters, consider the decision on eating there to be a referendum on gay rights.

Wendy's throwing pocket change at a few Republicans (some of whom, unsurprisingly, are the most liberal or silent Republicans on gay issues that you can find anywhere) doesn't even come close to this. In general, this argument is "because nobody's perfect, it's OK to support the most evil people possible." It's nonsense. It's the gay rights equivalent of "as a white first-worlder I'm oppressing brown people with my participation in capitalism, therefore anyone who argues against drones is a hypocrite."

Again, my argument IS the pragmatic one: Just don't support outright murder and torture. Just don't support the MOST evil company out there. Anything less than that is within the range of civil disagreement and compromise. Your argument is "literally do nothing whatsoever and denounce anyone who asks for the bare minimum as an unrealistic extremist."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cicero posted:

:psyduck:

"Well, now that gays can get married too, there's no reason for me to be a good father to my children, I guess."
I think it's an even dumber premise, that once the gays can get married guys will just go and suck all the dicks because it's easier than raising kids.

Like I said, a loving laff riot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The last few overturns, including Michigan's "I'm not biased but all gays burn in hell" defense, have seemed remarkably phoned in. I can't help but wonder if the states are seeing how the wind is blowing and only giving a cursory defense in an effort to not gently caress up the legal system with all their nonsense.

Just as planned :smug:

Yeah I was astonished by the almost non-defense the state presented. I don't get how any rational person could call that a suitable defense.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

quote:

Same-sex relationships, it claims, are primarily about "personal individual interests" and an "adult-centric" lifestyle and allowing such couples to marry would have multiple repercussions.

I'm having trouble figuring out what this is supposed to mean. By "personal individual interests" are they asserting homos want to enter into betrothal out of selfishness?

And what is an "adult-centric" lifestyle? Is this code for "those gays do nothing but gently caress?" Because they might be interested in hearing about what goes on in the early years of most hetero marriages.

Edit: I wonder if they think that marrying dudes is the easy way out. I feel sorry for their wives :(

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 20, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

cruft posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out what this is supposed to mean. By "personal individual interests" are they asserting homos want to enter into betrothal out of selfishness?

And what is an "adult-centric" lifestyle? Is this code for "those gays do nothing but gently caress?" Because they might be interested in hearing about what goes on in the early years of most hetero marriages.

In their heads people get married to have children and then selflessly devote themselves to said children. Gays can't have children because biology.

QED, liberals :smug:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

7thBatallion posted:

Anyways, is there a single link to the pending litigation in the states that still have a ban? I'd like to read the various complaints and whatnot.
Equality Case Files has everything on its scribd page and posts anything new to twitter. The collections on the scribd aren't perfect but it's pretty much the most organized collection.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

cruft posted:

It boils down to "people who don't have kids are selfish." Never mind that there's absolutely nothing that prevents gay people from having children, except maybe for the discriminatory laws they've already passed that says gays can't adopt kids. Men can use a surrogate, women can buy sperm.

This is Utah, where you have to build a wall in a restaurant to prevent children from seeing someone pour/mix a drink because it will somehow cause them to instantly explode or become alcoholics or something. The concept of doing something and not involving children is anathema. Never mind we don't bother to clean up our air and water, or can't be arsed to pay for a decent education, the only important thing is pumping them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It boils down to "people who don't have kids are selfish." Never mind that there's absolutely nothing that prevents gay people from having children, except maybe for the discriminatory laws they've already passed that says gays can't adopt kids. Men can use a surrogate, women can buy sperm.

I know this argument is pretty tired by now, but I'd still like to have a judge ask them if they plan to start revoking the marriage licenses of childless couples.

Still, I feel like there's something else going on here. Like, if this attorney thinks marrying another dude is a result of too much focus on "personal individual interests"... maybe he should have married a dude.

It'd explain the weak-rear end arguments, anyway.

• Locked thread