Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
I.....hm.

I guess my ultimate decision on Enkidel hinges on if those staying are going to fight tooth and nail to undo a lot of the things they see as "Team Bored" votes.

I am totally invested in Enkidel's relationships, and am totally cool with Ish and Tudiya and most of the El family staying in his life. I think they're all radical dudes. I think El is a true power, and am OK with Enkidel largely being a warrior of El. I like playing the "good guy"....as long as we get some shades of gray and question some things. Indor being a prime example.

If those voting A would be so kind: as a general barometer of your thoughts, will you likely in the future try to distance yourself from any gray areas (associating with Indor, questioning what El really is, visiting the Kandomin (sp?)), or will exploring those topics be interesting to you?

Im cool with being team good guy as long as we dont go super zealot as soon as everyone from Team Bored leaves.

Edit: so many typos

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Task Manager posted:

I.....hm.

I guess my ultimate decision on EKandomin singes or if those staying are going to fight tooth and nail to undo a lot of the things they see as "Team Bored" votes.

I am totally invested in Enkidel's relationships, and am totally cool with Ish and Tudiya and most of the El family staying in his life. I think they're all radical dudes. I think El is a true power, and am OK with Enkidel largely being a warrior of El. I like playing the "good guy"....as long as we get some shades of gray and question some things. Indor being a prime example.

If those voting A would be so kind: as a general barometer of your thoughts, will you likely in the future try to distance yourself from any gray areas (associating with Indor, questioning what El really is, visiting the Kandomin (sp?)), or will exploring thise topics be interesting to you?

Im cool with being team good guy as we dont go super zealot as soon as everyone from Team Bored leaves.
I imagine a lot of traveling is possibly in Enkidel's future. You are probably headed to Baitel and there SEEMS to be a large desire to go exploring/ adventuring?

Not that you have to, but you seem to wish to?

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

I, too, would worry about the diversity of Team A. Though at the same time, unity in El could be a huge strength.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am currently voting A and posted my current (subject to change) long term plan, which involves a lot of travel and areas well beyond what might be considered "grey". With the new info the plan might change, but even so it will be something along those lines and that scale.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
This is tough, because the only reason I care about the votes is because I am obviously invested in Enkidel. When we've worked together it's been great. I think dissenting voices add something interesting. I obviously don't mind not getting what I want to happen, because I've been voting in this thread since just after we left Athar, and things haven't worked out great for Asherah or team social justice.

If most of the El faithful stick with A then my choice is obvious:

B

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Task Manager posted:

I.....hm.

I guess my ultimate decision on Enkidel hinges on if those staying are going to fight tooth and nail to undo a lot of the things they see as "Team Bored" votes.

If those voting A would be so kind: as a general barometer of your thoughts, will you likely in the future try to distance yourself from any gray areas (associating with Indor, questioning what El really is, visiting the Kandomin (sp?)), or will exploring those topics be interesting to you?

Im cool with being team good guy as long as we dont go super zealot as soon as everyone from Team Bored leaves.

I for one am 100% behind your sentiment here. My top long-term priority is learning and exploring and making the world a better place. I like Ish and co, but I don't trust them to give us what we want, and as a result I believe that we must focus on making our own way in the near future, and answer some pressing questions concerning the teachings of the Church of El along the way.

I am voting A. Be the change you want to see!

Ralith fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 26, 2014

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I mean I think the majority of people want to question the status quo, the main difference lies in whether to wait a bit before doing so, or rocking the boat now.

Task Manager posted:

As a Team El duder, I support pushing into grey areas of the game. I just never wanted to do it while we were still relatively weak in strength and what not. I want to find out about the clash, and why poo poo is the way it is. I know El is there and for the most part the priests of the religion tend to do good things, but something messed up somewhere down the line and I think we are here to try and fix it.

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 26, 2014

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Task Manager posted:

I.....hm.

I am lukewarm on Ish and like Tudiya but think he's closeminded. I am very interested in spending more time with Indor, think El might be misrepresented/imprisoned and would love to visit Kandomin. I also love buying property and investing in the city as that is fun. I also thought the team hunger votes were pretty rad, and an interesting subset of Enk's mind. I voted A.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Task Manager posted:

I'm not averse to grey areas in general. I definitely question the nature of El, want to explore distant lands, etc. I've been voting to distance myself from Indor not because I want to be a perfect zealot but because I judged the risk to Enkidel to be greater than the reward in that particular case. I guess my risk/reward assessments often lead me to more conservative stances, but that's because I know that Enkidel only gets one life and we won't get any answers if he dies early.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
Conflict breeds creativity. You guys should stick around. You never know when we might need to let a demon loose in a set of worship infused armor.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Task Manager posted:

I.....hm.

I am a strong supporter of dealing with Indor, an El-convert with serious misgivings about the orthodox faith, who thinks that visiting the Kadmonim would be awesome. I voted A, and everything you mentioned is something of great interest to me.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

Task Manager posted:

I'm voting A but want to associate more with Indor (even if I don't fully have a plan yet on how to do it without jeopardizing our relationships to other people), and explore. I don't like Ishamal and am becoming ambivalent about Tudiya due to his reaction to Indor.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
A

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I mean I think the majority of people want to question the status quo, the main difference lies in whether to wait a bit before doing so, or rocking the boat now.
I think most of us agree that we want to do as much as possible as soon as it's safe to do so. There's always going to be some question as to what exactly counts as safe when, no matter how many people join team B.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Task Manager posted:

Indor I think is too much of a risk, overall. I don't mind a "one last job pays for all" deal, but I think there are too many dangerous unknowns when dealing with her. Besides, I straight up don't know how far we should trust her.

The other stuff, though, I am definitely going to be down for all of them as long the risk/reward works out. Questioning El's nature is high on my list of priorities - Ishamal has hinted that there is more to El than Tudiya knows, and I suspect he's right. As for the Kadmonim, I see no reason whatsoever to not visit them sometime and see what they think. I've got a whole bundle of questions for them ready and waiting!

In general I feel that the idea that "Team El wants to do nothing but kneel and pray all day and accept everything Ishamal and Tudiya says unquestioningly" is a serious exaggeration. We like adventure and exploration and divining the true nature of the world as much as anyone - it's just that we've a bigger eye out for the risks, and feel more trust and loyalty towards the authority figures in our life. We're also more willing to wait, I think, in the expectation that a payoff later will probably be bigger and better than a payoff now. I sincerely doubt that there's more than a handful of people who are TRULY unwilling to even listen to any truths aside from those of Ishamal and Smythos, it's just that so far Ishamal and co. have seemed more reliable than the various available alternatives.

Diogines posted:

I did not consider that. I had a long time to consider this before I posted it.

You know, it was only a throwaway joke I didn't even think anyone would comment on. I wouldn't mind this actually happening, though I imagine we'd have to stop eventually once the two characters begin interacting with each other.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

B.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Hey Task Manager.

You wouldn't want to vote yourself away from Paebel, would you?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm just going to repost parts of an old post I made back when the thread was still young.

my dad posted:

The only real difference between us getting Og killed in a dumb way and making him the Great God of Goonganga lies in how much fun we're having while doing that.

People are not being marginalized in a CYOA. Most people here are not in voting blocks or whatever you'd call them. We're playing a game together, and we're voting for whatever option we like the most or against whatever option we like the least in this game that is supposed to be fun to participate in.

And this is why I'm voting B despite generally wishing the best for Enkidel. I'm having fun either way.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

How would people feel about setting some intermediate goal? After we finish up the Minotaur thing, we might have about 2 years or so before heading to Batael. We've promised Indor at least one more job with Pubai. And many people have noticed that our Balls need time to re-establish their day-jobs in Zepath.

That gives us a lot of room to take initiative.

For instance, if we have down-time, we could plan our visit to the Kandomin. We could vote on which of the group (e.g. Naiomi, Pubai, Billy, Paebal, Danal) to take with us.

I'm not super-attached to the Kandomin or anything. But my specific fear is that it's always going to be safer to delay an exploration trip. And I have a suspicion that meeting the El-church in Batael will put pressure on us to limit future exploration.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

DCBomB posted:

Hey Task Manager.

You wouldn't want to vote yourself away from Paebel, would you?

gently caress. Everyone else's points made me feel better but this sealed the deal. I can't leave a bro like that high and dry.

Thank you for the replies, all! I feel much better about sticking with Enkidel now. I'll leave my vote as A.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I vote.... A. I guess?

Can't we all just get along (while voting for drastically different outcomes)?

Oh, if/when the B folks get their new character will we have cross-over episodes?

Additionally, I give Basscop a hug to prove love conquers all

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Task Manager posted:

I.....hm.

I'd be totally in favor of Enk leaving home to discover and forge his faith on his own without people telling him what to make of himself, but still don't see the appeal of dealing with Indor. To me, it seemed a large part of her appeal was people hoping that dealing with her would sever our character's relationships with Tudiya/Ishamal/Naomi. I'm all for exploring and finding out the true nature of the world for ourselves, but don't want to spit in the eye of the people who've raised and loved our character just to 'shake things up.'

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
So sad I missed out but that was fantastically hillarious. Wish I could have joined in :)

I vote A I love Enkidel and his stupid little life! Team invested, but I'll be really sad to see team Asherah go.

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010
Voting A, hell yeah Team Invested!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
I've changed my mind.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 27, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
When I said less emotionally invested I didn't mean not to enjoy the story guys I meant this

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Sometimes your vote wins, and that's awesome.
And then, sometimes it loses. When that happens, you deal with it, because that's just how the cookie crumbled, and you accept it as part of the narrative and the story that you helped create/influence.

This is especially true for me in Diog's games, because Diog is drat good at/makes drat sure that even the losing votes make an impact in some way.

Are there decisions I'm butthurt about? Absolutely. But I'm not going to take my Ball and go home just because my team lost a big vote.
I've been playing this CYOA since the beginning. Enkidel has done things I like, he has done things I don't like.
My opinions on characters have changed, sometimes drastically.
That's how games like this work. You get new information and experiences, these affect your playstyle, and the game gets that much different as a result.

I intend to see Enkidel through to the end. I started this as a series of synapses in his brain, and win or lose, I intend to stay in his brain until Diog kicks me out and puts me in someone else's brain/13-foot tall Clowngod body.

The only thing that really drives me up the wall is the "Second Guess/Spite" votes.
"Oh, we voted to continue selling to Indor? Well I vote that we go confess to Tudiya that we've been selling to Indor! Time to face some consequences!"

the_steve fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 26, 2014

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Globofglob posted:

I vote B

I'm really interested in the world Diog has created and everything that's going on in it, but I honestly feel that staying in Zepath and worshiping El diminishes our view of literally anything else. I wanted Asherah in the beginning just because it was something different and interesting, not the onegod prayerfest we have ended up in. I feel there are a lot more interesting places out there, which we will never get to see because we are now tied down to Zepath by Naomi, and that means we can't really leave.

I want to know more about magic, and I want to know about other civilizations. I don't want to be beholden to people who refuse to tell us anything, then yell at us when we gently caress up.(Ishmael/Smattas). I want to know how everything works, but it looks like people are just going to keep either stonewalling us or giving us small bits of incredibly El-biased information.

Sure, I'll miss being what is apparently proto-superman. But I'm sure Diog will give us an equally interesting character with B. And we'll get to learn more about the world, because two characters in two very different places means we get two different views on everything. We will ultimately learn more with two characters than one. I don't know how they'll interact. Maybe they'll be bros, maybe mortal enemies. But I know that it would be probably be fun.

That said, I fully recognize that this will probably not happen.

These are my thoughts as well. I immensely enjoy the story and the character Diog has created for us, however I sometimes get frustrated with, whenever we get to a decisive vote, the Team Boring/El(?) voters that seem to be (to me anyway); "Guys!!!, if we don't do precisely Tudiya/El/this, Tudiya/El/whoever will literally kill us :byodood:!!"

I'm also extremely anti not-voting, because all that says to me when someone votes it in response to other people's votes is; "I don't like that you've chosen that in this Choose Your Own Adventure game, I want to keep your input from counting", but that's been voted on and passed and I've also done it myself so I can live with it, but I think there'll be a lot less of it of if the teams split off.

tl;dr - B, Hoping we re-enter the game as either Pubai or Sojenus as the Nameless One

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 26, 2014

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 27, 2014

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Globofglob posted:

I vote B

I'm really interested in the world Diog has created and everything that's going on in it, but I honestly feel that staying in Zepath and worshiping El diminishes our view of literally anything else. I wanted Asherah in the beginning just because it was something different and interesting, not the onegod prayerfest we have ended up in. I feel there are a lot more interesting places out there, which we will never get to see because we are now tied down to Zepath by Naomi, and that means we can't really leave.

Does Naomi tie us down all that much? We could just take her along on a long trip and have her hang back when we fight mighty-stuff. Danal didn't really get in Tudiya's way, even when he was going all the way to the coast.

That said, even though I'm invested in Enkidel and don't think I've made any protest 'break things' votes, I'll join you in voting B.

I'm getting the sense that everyone wants to explore, but I think I might have a different idea of what that would look like in the medium-term.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Mr. Wednesday posted:

I'm not averse to grey areas in general. I definitely question the nature of El, want to explore distant lands, etc. I've been voting to distance myself from Indor not because I want to be a perfect zealot but because I judged the risk to Enkidel to be greater than the reward in that particular case. I guess my risk/reward assessments often lead me to more conservative stances, but that's because I know that Enkidel only gets one life and we won't get any answers if he dies early.

Yeah, you're pretty much reading my mind here.

Anyway, A.

I'm very interested in whatever new character Diog is making, and frankly the chance to bust out and eat some hearts without worrying about morality sounds great after ten or so months of ~serious business~. Alas, I am far too invested in Enki to do so at this time.

The idea of switching channels one weeks a month does sound kinda badass tho. Hard to say how it would work in practice however.

The new character should totally be a goat. With super-powers, of course.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

I vote B on the Team vote, and D: EAT SOGOL for my Psyche Battle Action.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

maxhush posted:

These are my thoughts as well. I immensely enjoy the story and the character Diog has created for us, however I sometimes get frustrated with, whenever we get to a decisive vote, the Team Boring/El(?) voters that seem to be (to me anyway); "Guys!!!, if we don't do precisely Tudiya/El/this, Tudiya/El/whoever will literally kill us :byodood:!!"

At the same time, If a choice won, and we found out it has bad consequences, does it make any sense to go down that path still? Sometimes newer information comes out several votes down the line, sometimes its the next post by Diog. Like I said before, at least personally I am not wary of grey area actions, but Enkidel is still pretty squishy at this point. It makes more sense for me to vote conservatively until our power matches a regular MM at least. We are swinging from being a righteous badass to nominal power to defend ourselves if we piss off someone powerful. So then what? We are kicked out with just our dog into the wilderness and maybe Paebel if he didn't get executed. It's certainly an interesting choice and I would roll with it if that won, but I don't think it's the best choice for Enkidel at this point.

Not all of us voting to stay in the line with the Zealots are truly Zealots, I don't think. We just don't want piss off the head Zealot until we are at a point character wise to survive the fallout.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Voting B I'm up for breaking off from Enkidel if only because I've lost track of everything happening with my schedule being hectic and a new character is a good point to break back into it.

The game is fun to read for me but I do end up missing two or three votes in a row sometimes go team absentee parent brain matter :woop:. Hopefully I can claw my way back into the irc too.

Watch character 2 just be Snarls :v:.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

maxhush posted:

tl;dr - B, Hoping we re-enter the game as either Pubai or Sojenus as the Nameless One

You wake up on a slab in a mortuary...

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Welp, great time to finally catch up with the thread.

Abstaining for obvious reasons, but I'd like to chime in to thank Diog for his work these months. "Some people aren't satisfied with where the thread is going? I know! I'll make another!" wasn't something I expected.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Globofglob posted:

I vote B

I'm really interested in the world Diog has created and everything that's going on in it, but I honestly feel that staying in Zepath and worshiping El diminishes our view of literally anything else. I wanted Asherah in the beginning just because it was something different and interesting, not the onegod prayerfest we have ended up in. I feel there are a lot more interesting places out there, which we will never get to see because we are now tied down to Zepath due to everyone thinking it the 'safer' bet.

I want to know more about magic, and I want to know about other civilizations. I don't want to be beholden to people who refuse to tell us anything, then yell at us when we gently caress up.(Ishmael/Smattas). I want to know how everything works, but it looks like people are just going to keep either stonewalling us or giving us small bits of incredibly El-biased information.

Sure, I'll miss being what is apparently proto-superman. But I'm sure Diog will give us an equally interesting character with B. And we'll get to learn more about the world, because two characters in two very different places means we get two different views on everything. We will ultimately learn more with two characters than one. I don't know how they'll interact. Maybe they'll be bros, maybe mortal enemies. But I know that it would be probably be fun.

That said, I fully recognize that this will probably not happen.

This is more or less how I feel. I get the majority of Team boring posters all just want to play a safe game, but I really think throwing our bets in with Zepath, Ish and everyone else here and hoping to learn enough about this universe is not going to work out.

As everyone's said, Enkidel only has one life, let's play it safe, not rock the boat. But precisely because he has one life is why I want to leave and actually explore or get stuff done. Especially with what seems to be a really big plot turn cominng up ahead with the Baitel visit. Hanging around Zepath and getting stonewalled and doing breathing exercises just seems like a complete waste of time when you have a few countdowns running.

I'd honestly be pretty happy to stick with Enkidel, since he's got a cool dog and bro-godling friend. But the way the votes go, with most people happy to not rock the boat and risk anything, I'd just start losing interest, because I honestly don't find poo poo like "What should we repent on, these specific sins, or should those other bunch of 'sins'" or let's go do more breathing exercises, yay! all that fun.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 26, 2014

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
A. I really don't like the two threads idea. If you're constantly getting outvoted then you need to make your case better, or just accept that everyone else doesn't want to do what you want to do.

Neraren fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 26, 2014

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Fat Samurai posted:

Welp, great time to finally catch up with the thread.

Welcome to the game! Congratulations on catching up. It seems like a staggering task. :stare:

I'm sure you'll be a good addition to our wonderful bundle of crazy. Glad to have you with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

As everyone's said, Enkidel only has one life, let's play it safe, not rock the boat. But precisely because he has one life is why I want to leave and actually explore or get stuff done. Especially with what seems to be a really big plot turn cominng up ahead with the Baitel visit. Hanging around Zepath and getting stonewalled and doing breathing exercises just seems like a complete waste of time when you have a few countdowns running.

I'd honestly be pretty happy to stick with Enkidel, since he's got a cool dog and bro-godling friend. But the way the votes go, with most people happy to not rock the boat and risk anything, I'd just start losing interest, because I honestly don't find poo poo like "What should we repent on, these specific sins, or should those other bunch of 'sins'" or let's go do more breathing exercises, yay! all that fun.

At the same time, our powers seem to vary worse than the price of bitcoin. I fully don't expect us to stay in Zepath for too much longer, and I really just want to skip time to a point where we can do cool things without destroying the world, and are able to travel far without feeling weaker, and ultimately figure out what the El is going on with El.