Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A couple of months I posted this

quote:

Well. My friend owns a 2003 Boxster S and it's a very nice car and all, but she's totally loaded from an inheritance. I wouldn't buy a car with the M96 engine in it if I didn't have a really fat account. You've got the famous IMS bearing failures. If/when you change the clutch, you have to change the flywheel as well as per Porsche instructions. Problems with cracked heads, mostly pertaining to the 3.2/3.4s.

To be fair, all the problems except the IMS bearing should be classified as very uncommon (but still oh so expensive *if* it happens). Porsche eliminated the intermediate shaft, and hence the bearing, in 2009.

My friend just called me. She was waiting for the tow truck, since her Boxster had suddenly started sounding "like if you put gravel in a washer". I *did* warn her about this when she bought it.

Let's see if she can get the Porsche dealer to take pictures (not likely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Get it for cheap and jam a V8 in it.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I get craftsman for anything I use frequently or abuse (sockets, wrenches, extensions, etc.), and HF/Husky/Greatneck for things I need once or twice a year (torx sockets). A Sears is 10 minutes away, so if I break anything I can be back with a free replacement in under an hour. Also why only craftsman screwdrivers get used as chisels.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
My hand tools are all Craftsman because my father used Craftsman and so did his father before him etc. etc. and they've been good.

But my Harbor Freight Sawzall, floorjack, engine hoist, jackstands, etc. etc. have been holding up for years and years of shop and race abuse. I really have nothing negative to say about those things.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
The last time I tried taking Craftsman tools back for replacement I got a remanufactured socket wrench that broke a week later and they wouldn't replace my screw drivers because they were "clearly used for things other than just turning screws".

That was 9 years ago and I haven't touched Craftsman since. Maybe they've changed their policies since then?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've had the opposite experience, going in with a flat head screwdriver with a bent tip and hammer marks on the end.

Sears Guy: Has this been used as a chisel?
Me: Nope
Sears Guy: Ok, here's a new one.

Same thing with ratchets that have obviously been used with cheater bars. They just have a box of 3/8" ratchets behind the counter and swap those without even looking.

Maybe it's a store-by-store thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They were impressed by the fact that I actually broke the 1/2" squaredrive off my last Craftsman ratchet. Apparently most people strip out/jam up the ratcheting pawls :v:

I didn't tell them it involved a very seized axle nut, an angry, mildly injured man, and a 4 pound hammer (hammer + ratchet = impact wrench, right?), or that I'd broken two 1/2" breaker bars immediately before trying the ratchet.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
The Sears near me has 3 marked bins behind the counter in the tools department for dumping returned broken stuff:
Ratchets, Screw drivers, and Tape Measures :iiam: .

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

I've had the opposite experience, going in with a flat head screwdriver with a bent tip and hammer marks on the end.

Princess Auto is always impressed by my campaigns of tool misuse. I got a "nice" out of the returns clerk when I showed her the "vanadium" flathead screwdriver that I managed to taco from using it to lift a stove.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

wolrah posted:

They just have a box of 3/8" ratchets behind the counter and swap those without even looking.

At my local Sears, that box is full of pot-metal ratchets that I was literally able to bend with my bare loving hands.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Hillridge posted:

The Sears near me has 3 marked bins behind the counter in the tools department for dumping returned broken stuff:
Ratchets, Screw drivers, and Tape Measures :iiam: .

Im guessing its all warranty stuff. They are actually pretty good at replacing stuff, if the store doesn't have it, it gets shipped to your door.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Every Craftsman ratchet I've ever had has stripped itself out within a handful of moderate uses, not even abusing them. I've had lovely luck with most of their other tools as well, now I buy mostly Stanley. Never had a problem with any of my Stanley poo poo. Their 3/8" ratchet is nearly indestructible; I've used mine as a hammer, stuck a 3 foot cheater bar on it, left it outside in the mud for a couple weeks, still works great. My torque wrench/specialty stuff is all Snap-On, because I got a 50% discount while I was a student at NTI. Too bad I was broke as gently caress during that time, and couldn't get more.

I wish there was a Harbor Freight or something near me. There's a Northern Tool about an hour away but I've only ever bought a hoist from them. Works good.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 28, 2014

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I've had the same issue with Craftsman ratchets stripping even under non-cheaterbar use, and I'm certainly no bodybuilder, but at this point I've built up enough ratchets that I can usually finish any project with one down. Sears Hardware is right around the corner from a bar my friends and I go to at least once a week so it's not really a big inconvenience to swap one out.

On topic, from the gold mine that is /r/justrolledintotheshop, what happens when a Ford Focus is strapped behind a RV and left in first gear:

http://imgur.com/a/KxSI9

Here's the first pic:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm shocked there's still part of a head left. Truly impressive, though I'm guessing the lifters and cam aren't too happy about trying to pull the bent amputated valves back through the seats at 140 million rpm.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BoostCreep posted:

The last time I tried taking Craftsman tools back for replacement I got a remanufactured socket wrench that broke a week later and they wouldn't replace my screw drivers because they were "clearly used for things other than just turning screws".

That was 9 years ago and I haven't touched Craftsman since. Maybe they've changed their policies since then?

I've brought back tools to sears that I've literally shot to poo poo in a fit of anger and never received so much as a sideways glance. Their screwdrivers really loving piss me off. I've got one that's 30 years old or more that's a loving champ. New ones are lucky to last six months. When I brought a bucketful of them back riddled with 30-30 wounds I was hoping beyond hope they'd deny me, just so I'd have justification for going out and buying a set of Klein replacements.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Princess Auto is always impressed by my campaigns of tool misuse. I got a "nice" out of the returns clerk when I showed her the "vanadium" flathead screwdriver that I managed to taco from using it to lift a stove.

It is my goal to break their ratcheting 1/2" breaker bars at least once per year. Oddly enough their other tools are pretty robust, I have a set of ratcheting wrenches of theirs that I absolutely beat on with hammers and my 4 foot jackhandle as a cheater bar.

I would just like to take this oppurtunity to tell koni shocks to go gently caress themselves. I have stripped BOTH hex ends of my front struts trying to torque them to spec after installing new springs. It's only 48 ft-lb but the drat machined hex just stripped so easily.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 29, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
While it may be a discussion for the tools thread, tell me about these ratcheting wrenches because I've never seen them and my name-brand gearwrenches are frequently considered "too nice" for me to use effectively.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I want to say powerfist, but I'm not even sure. There are no identification markings on anything. They come in a plastic rack with a handle, every size from 8mm to 19mm. Stamped "CHROME VANADIUM STEEL" plus the size. Blue plastic to retain the pawls. I've had them for 5 years and haven't broken/bent any yet.

ReptileChillock
Jan 7, 2014

by Lowtax
Princess Auto protip: the matte black 1/2 drive sockets are not in fact impact sockets but fragmentation grenades.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have a double ring-end spanner marked CHROM VANADIUM (sic).

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ReptileChillock posted:

Princess Auto protip: the matte black 1/2 drive sockets are not in fact impact sockets but fragmentation grenades.

I've got a 4.5" angle grinder from PA that threw a ball bearing through the gearbox casing.

Still runs, and I use it for all my heavy millscale removal :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A Harbor Freight angle grinder tried to eat me alive by spitting cooling fan blades out through the motor vents at me. I swore to never use a poo poo tier angle grinder again.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Thank god for snap-on tools. I had some camlocks that were so wedged in the other day that it took about 5 minutes with a blowtorch, a 3' 1/2' breaker WITH a 6' pipe, and two guys pushing on the loving thing to even budge.

When I finally got the fuckers off, about 3/4 of the threading was just corroded aluminium. Turned to dust when I started poking at it.

EDIT: And not so much a mechanical failure as a technician's failure, had to pound out some seized-in pieces with a deadblow and an aluminium rod. Guess who brought that 30oz copper deadblow right onto the knuckle of my left thumb? Felt my whole hand compress. Ow.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 29, 2014

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

bolind posted:

Please post pictures of that?

Here you go. These were all quickies at the dealer that I used for getting the wife's OK.

$15,702 out the door from a local dealer (TTL included) with a fresh battery and key.

Sorry, no failures here. Doing the timing belt this next week in hopes of keeping it that way.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

While it may be a discussion for the tools thread, tell me about these ratcheting wrenches because I've never seen them and my name-brand gearwrenches are frequently considered "too nice" for me to use effectively.

The Pittsburgh ones from HF are pretty nice for the price. I haven't broken one yet but I haven't really cranked them on anything either. If I need to crack something loose I get out the swivels and extensions to get a socket on it or get one of my nice 6-point box-end wrenches.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BoostCreep posted:

I used to have an older 1/4 drive ratchet that was amazing. It had a very fine ratcheting action, and I couldn't break it if I tried. I'd put some of the older Craftsman stuff up against SnapOn any day.

When it grew legs out on the ramp one night, I replaced it with a new Craftsman. What a piece of poo poo. It had like eight clicks for 360 degrees, and it broke the third time I used it.

craftsmancomplaints.txt

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

No. 6 posted:

Here you go. These were all quickies at the dealer that I used for getting the wife's OK.

$15,702 out the door from a local dealer (TTL included) with a fresh battery and key.

Sorry, no failures here. Doing the timing belt this next week in hopes of keeping it that way.

I've had a very soft spot for those ever since that S8 in Ronin. Man that's baller. I hope it treats you nice and doesn't break in the Audiest of ways.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

A couple of months I posted this

My friend just called me. She was waiting for the tow truck, since her Boxster had suddenly started sounding "like if you put gravel in a washer". I *did* warn her about this when she bought it.

Let's see if she can get the Porsche dealer to take pictures (not likely).

The IMS failure sucks but if you budget pulling the trans out and installing an updated bearing in the purchase price it's not a big deal. By now most of the 9x6 cars need a clutch anyway so it's not like you're doing a completely unneeded job. We strongly advise owners to install updated bearings any time we do a clutch on one.
Personally, unless it was a great deal I'd just as soon get a 9x7 though. Much better cars in every way aside from price.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bolind posted:

I've had a very soft spot for those ever since that S8 in Ronin. Man that's baller. I hope it treats you nice and doesn't break in the Audiest of ways.
I almost bought a D2 S8 in black a few years ago. Part of me regrets it, my wallet however, breathed a sigh of relief.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The D2 is solid so long as you do the timing belt and keep an extra $3500 around for when the 5 speed ZF trans finally fails.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

No. 6 posted:

The D2 is solid so long as you do the timing belt and keep an extra $3500 around for when the 5 speed ZF trans finally fails.

I don't see a transmission as a wear item. Lots of them seem to be on third transmissions, it isn't like the replacements are better.
That said, coolest modernish large sedan I can think of.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Came out of a "running" 98 F250.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

13 INCH DICK posted:

Came out of a "running" 98 F250.

Is the threaded part bent a little bit or am I seeing poo poo?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Not really bent *per se* but very slightly necked on the threads yes

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Those are really handsome cars. It looks so comfortable too. Weren't those things pushing $100k? Its incredible how fast some cars depreciate.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Those are really handsome cars. It looks so comfortable too. Weren't those things pushing $100k? Its incredible how fast some cars depreciate.

I have the window sticker. $82,535 in 2005 with my options.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I was close. That's still a hell of a lot of car for the money.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

One of my contractors rolled to work in a v6 tdi vs phaeton recently, he bought it from his neighbor who panicked when he started hearing about the maintenance horror stories & sold it for £18k with 20k on the clock. It's beautiful, so of course we rib him about it being a nice passat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

:britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

This is why you don't stab a xenomorph alien near your vehicle.