Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

2.5L Golf engine is making an odd loud rattling noise at 25K. Mechanic says it seems to be coming from the front of the engine bay, removed belt and can still hear it but doesn't see anything obviously wrong. Gets much louder with engine speed. They called VW America and apparently were told "no idea".

Seems to run fine otherwise. Anyone seen something like that before?

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Volkswagen is loving terrible at timing chains. Looks like there is an issue with the 2.5...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5721530-FYI-2005.5-2007-Timing-Chain-Issues

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

fknlo posted:

This also disengages the hill assist!
I wouldn't know. This Mk7 Golf is my first VW, apart from that assistant-less Mk3 Golf I learned driving with, and its hill assist feature (called Autohold) doesn't disengage playing with the throttle. I suppose they changed how it works, probably measuring clutch pack and torque and figuring out the tires don't roll.

CountOfNowhere posted:

Volkswagen is loving terrible at timing chains. Looks like there is an issue with the 2.5...
Jesus. I knew they had the same issues with the chain-timed TSI engines in the Mk6 Golf, sister models and whatever Polo it was, but now knowing that it already happened years earlier makes it even more :psyduck:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 23, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
When I got my 06' A3 I was sort of lamenting not having the TFSI with a timing chain that came later but jesus I feel like I dodged a bullet now.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Shifty Pony posted:

You can't turn it off in the settings screen of the MFD? On my mk5 Jetta it was under the "convenience" options listed as the completely undocumented option "ATA Confirm".

No more honking.

According to the owner's manual that should be in the MFD but it's not. I also have no option to turn off the daytime running lights. Two dealers said they their software won't let them change it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have a 2013 S4. I hit a pothole the other day and damaged the driver's side front wheel and had to have it replaced (thankfully it was a cheap set of replicas I use for my winter tires and not an OEM wheel).

Now when I drive there's a tapping / thumping noise from the front left side. There's no vibration and no issue with steering. It also only occurs when I'm on the gas or coasting. When I apply the brakes the noise goes away. I didn't notice the noise until after the wheel was replaced.

Any idea what it might be before I take it into the dealer?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Why would you take it to the dealer?

And rotate some wheels first to see if the noise follows the tire/wheel.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Motronic posted:

Why would you take it to the dealer?

And rotate some wheels first to see if the noise follows the tire/wheel.
Well I was going to take it to the tire place first where I had the new wheel put on. But of they don't have any idea then the dealer is my next stop.

Good idea. I'll ask them to rotate the wheels first and see if the noise moves with it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

But of they don't have any idea then the dealer is my next stop.

If you want better service and lower prices you should look for a good indy shop.

This doesn't apply to all dealers everywhere, but it covers a good 95% of them.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Jesus. I knew they had the same issues with the chain-timed TSI engines in the Mk6 Golf, sister models and whatever Polo it was, but now knowing that it already happened years earlier makes it even more :psyduck:

It goes back even further. The VR6 in the mk4 (and I think the mk3) fail as well.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I had a weird idle in my MK6 GTI earlier today. I pulled in to a parking lot and the idle was bouncing around between 600 and 1100 RPM. Then when I left the store it was erratic on the throttle and the check engine light came on for a bit. Then it mysteriously stopped and I got home with no issue. Would that be the coil pack? It only has 32,500 miles on it.

*edit*
The intake between the MAF and throttle body had come loose. When I swapped the battery a month or so ago, I had to move it out of the way to get to the bolt holding the battery in. I guess it did not seat it as well as I had thought.

antisodachrist fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 25, 2014

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Saw an S4 Avant this morning. That would have probably been my pick if you could actually get one as a CPO.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

actionjackson posted:

Saw an S4 Avant this morning. That would have probably been my pick if you could actually get one as a CPO.

Good luck. Might be able to find an A4 but those are pretty rare. The dealer I went to for my 55k had Avants as loaners and they had a hard time getting them. I really want one now but finding it in manual will never happen.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lightpole posted:

Good luck. Might be able to find an A4 but those are pretty rare. The dealer I went to for my 55k had Avants as loaners and they had a hard time getting them. I really want one now but finding it in manual will never happen.

I have an A4 Avant CPO :)

I did a search once and found I think six or seven manual S4 Avants for sale in the US.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
RE: Wagon chat

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1091086_2015-volkswagen-golf-r-wagon-spy-shots

Man there is no way the US is getting this is there? I plan on snapping up the new Golf R the moment we can but I'd wait for this wagon variant if we could get it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I've read that the B9 S4 is rumoured to come with a turbo V6 instead of the current supercharged V6. Any chance it would be the 3.6L twin turbo that's in the Porsche Macan Turbo? It's supposed to be a pretty nice engine.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I'd bet on it being whatever this ended up being:
http://www.carscoops.com/2013/09/vw-reportedly-developing-new-twin-turbo.html

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

RE: Wagon chat

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1091086_2015-volkswagen-golf-r-wagon-spy-shots

Man there is no way the US is getting this is there? I plan on snapping up the new Golf R the moment we can but I'd wait for this wagon variant if we could get it.

I'd be all over that, but since VW hates the US we will never get a cool wagon. We'll have to suffer with only the R.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

CountOfNowhere posted:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5721530-FYI-2005.5-2007-Timing-Chain-Issues

Yep, this is the problem. Fellow MK6 2.5L owners be on the lookout for rattling noises coming from the engine, apparently this is not uncommon.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
That was fun. Finally got around to loving with the VCDS cable. The coding helper function made it really easy to find what I was looking for and change the correct values. So far I've done the following:

Turned off hill hold. I got kinda used to it and for steep hills I have come to like it, but it's weird decision matrix for activation means sometimes it holds when no hold should be necessary, and some times it doesn't hold when I thought it would. I wish there was a button by the shifter that would just enable hill hold when I want it active (like a one-time switch, hill hold active for this start only), but the car doesn't have that so gently caress hill hold.

Turned off seat belt chime. There are very few times I don't wear a seatbelt, I'm loving religious about it. However there are limited times I don't, and I don't need my car to be my mother about it.

Turned on coming home/leaving home features. I don't know how the gently caress to make this work yet, but I've enabled the options in the dashboard menu, so I'll play with it later.

Disabled the DRLs. Won't catch me creepin till 187, motherfucka. We ret to roll drive-bys 24/7.

Comfort window control via remote. This allows me to roll up or down the windows with the remote control, pretty spiffy!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I'd like to gently caress around with my S4 like that... Are all the cables the same thing, or do they vary in features or functionality? I'm new to vw/audi.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

the milk machine posted:

I'd like to gently caress around with my S4 like that... Are all the cables the same thing, or do they vary in features or functionality? I'm new to vw/audi.

The cable I have belongs to a friend, he used it on his Audi TT up until he crashed it, and it also has (somewhat limited) functionality with his Audi v8. He also used it with his wife's VW Passat wagon up until she sold it, and I'm using it with a 2014 VW Sportwagen TDI. The cable says "HEX+CAN" on it and is manufactured by Ross-Tech.

420Chris
Jan 1, 2005
love weed.
I think there is two official cables, and a bunch of bootleg ones. The hex+can one is the version which will work on both the older and newer cars, anyway. The ross tech software is better than factory in a bunch of ways now even, like labeling value blocks and telling you what a "normal" reading should be.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

the milk machine posted:

Basically it depends on how old your car is. I have a Micro-CAN cable that I use on my Mk 6 GTI that will only work on newer CAN-BUS cars (think Mk5 Golf/Jetta platforms and newer). I got it a while back thinking I'd need to diagnose electrical gremlins and blown coil packs with it, but I haven't had to use it for a single maintenance issue--only tweaks.

...I think I just jinxed my car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Does anybody with VW/Audi contacts have a teardown for the Audi 3B 20v motor?

Specifically, I need some guides on the oil filter housing / oil cooler housing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

There is no possibility of using one of these cables to make the coolant temperature gauge on the dash actually operate correctly is there? It is just a dressed up idiot light at the moment.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Does anyone know anything about 955 Cayennes? I might be offered one and am wondering if I should take it or if it'd be too expensive to own. Not sure of year/mileage/trim yet; I'm guessing it's either the base VR6 or the S.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Shifty Pony posted:

There is no possibility of using one of these cables to make the coolant temperature gauge on the dash actually operate correctly is there? It is just a dressed up idiot light at the moment.

Not as far as I have seen, but a bluetooth OBDII and torque will tell you the actual temp

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

blk posted:

Does anyone know anything about 955 Cayennes? I might be offered one and am wondering if I should take it or if it'd be too expensive to own. Not sure of year/mileage/trim yet; I'm guessing it's either the base VR6 or the S.

Just like any other luxury car, it will be cheap as long as it doesn't need maintenance.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think Porsche's are terribly overpriced for what they offer as standard personally. Also I'd be concerned that it's not going to be a CPO or whatever their equivalent is. According to CR, the main issues with the 955 (they used 2006) are engine cooling, and both the drive and audio systems. Here's a long-term test done on a 2005 model:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2005-porsche-cayenne-s-long-term-road-test

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

blk posted:

What's the milage? 60-80k is a rough time to own one of these. Be especially careful of any harshness in the transmission.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

My wife has a 2008 Passat wagon with the 2.0 FSI engine in it. We got it new and the last 96,000 miles it has never given a CEL. It popped up a p0303 code along with another few, but basically it has a misfire on cylinder 3. I replaced the pcv on the intake side as well as the hard line with the check valve on the exhaust side. My general misfire code along with misfires in cylinders 1 and 4 went away. To fix the cylinder 3 code I swapped out all the plugs and coils with new. That fixed it for a week. P0303 came back. Now I'm looking at doing an intake valve cleaning as a near last resort.

I don't have access to a VAG-COM so I can't check if it is running lean or fun stuff like that. I'm also planning on replacing the fuel pump cam follower as it hasn't been done and is probably mostly held together with hopes and dreams at this point.

Questions. Am I on the right track with this? I am loathe to clean the intake but don't want to pay someone to do it for me. Any advice for doing this poo poo job? I will be ordering replacement gaskets for the intake.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Normal Person posted:

What's the milage? 60-80k is a rough time to own one of these. Be especially careful of any harshness in the transmission.

Because of the service intervals or because something typically fails at that point?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

blk posted:

Because of the service intervals or because something typically fails at that point?

I would assume both. That seems like about the time it would be coming up for big maintenance items.

420Chris
Jan 1, 2005
love weed.

Terminus Est posted:

My wife has a 2008 Passat wagon with the 2.0 FSI engine in it. We got it new and the last 96,000 miles it has never given a CEL. It popped up a p0303 code along with another few, but basically it has a misfire on cylinder 3. I replaced the pcv on the intake side as well as the hard line with the check valve on the exhaust side. My general misfire code along with misfires in cylinders 1 and 4 went away. To fix the cylinder 3 code I swapped out all the plugs and coils with new. That fixed it for a week. P0303 came back. Now I'm looking at doing an intake valve cleaning as a near last resort.

I don't have access to a VAG-COM so I can't check if it is running lean or fun stuff like that. I'm also planning on replacing the fuel pump cam follower as it hasn't been done and is probably mostly held together with hopes and dreams at this point.

Questions. Am I on the right track with this? I am loathe to clean the intake but don't want to pay someone to do it for me. Any advice for doing this poo poo job? I will be ordering replacement gaskets for the intake.

Does it misfire when cold? Usually the only other cause for misfires on the fsi is a fuel injector, but those usually end up sticking open and just dumping fuel into the exhaust and you know it pretty quickly. Sporadic misfires are usually always carbon on the new engines, and with 98,000 miles if they haven't been cleaned yet that's certainly where I would look first.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

420Chris posted:

Does it misfire when cold? Usually the only other cause for misfires on the fsi is a fuel injector, but those usually end up sticking open and just dumping fuel into the exhaust and you know it pretty quickly. Sporadic misfires are usually always carbon on the new engines, and with 98,000 miles if they haven't been cleaned yet that's certainly where I would look first.

I think it is the initial start when cold that is triggering the code. Thanks for the info.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

If it helps the service records for my A3 with a 2.0tfsi mention a carbon cleaning fixing a diagnosis of a misfire on cylinder 3 at around 120,000kms.

One of the reasons I bought the car was seeing it had it's carbon clean.

420Chris
Jan 1, 2005
love weed.
Cylinders 3 and 4 trigger most of the misfires because the breather line port is on the right side of the manifold, so most of the goo builds up in those cylinders first. The fsi manifold is a little harder to remove than the tsi, but they all come off pretty easy. You have to remove the throttle valve to get to the lower bracket bolt for the block, though.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

New owner of a 2006 A8L 4.2. Car has about 109k miles on her and about to dive into serious servicing this week. Any advice before I do the oil & filter, trans fluid & strainer, coil packs & plugs, air filter, timing belt with pulleys and tensioners, and water pump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

No. 6 posted:

New owner of a 2006 A8L 4.2. Car has about 109k miles on her and about to dive into serious servicing this week. Any advice before I do the oil & filter, trans fluid & strainer, coil packs & plugs, air filter, timing belt with pulleys and tensioners, and water pump?

Inform your next of kin?