Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Does anyone here have any tips for really amping up my digging in Pocket Mine?

I can hit about 250 regularly, but I haven't been able to get much past that. I have three decks to use (all identical right now with Crate Detector, 80% Artifact Crate, and 200% Treasure Crates) and my pick is at 171. Is there a combination of cards that will really launch me into the emerald/sapphire/topaz areas or should I just keep up with the grind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sunblood posted:

I can hit about 250 regularly, but I haven't been able to get much past that. I have three decks to use (all identical right now with Crate Detector, 80% Artifact Crate, and 200% Treasure Crates) and my pick is at 171. Is there a combination of cards that will really launch me into the emerald/sapphire/topaz areas or should I just keep up with the grind?

I don't play but people on the android thread were talking about needing the healing crate to get far. Something about those crates do not appear unless you have a healing crate card.

Also the combo exploding coal crates and extra coal crates got a mention.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

delfin posted:

For a company whose App Store philosophy is generally "don't worry about specs, it just runs," it'd be nice to know at a glance whether an app will just run or not.

It's maddening from the developer's side as well. Right now, our game runs on an iPad2/mini/4S, but NOT a iphone 4 due to its single-core. There's no way to disable a 4 while leaving in the ipad 2 and the mini. People won't read text that says "Only works on X" and there's no requirement we can tag it with to eliminate the 4. It's lovely all around.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Sunblood posted:

If you're focusing on crates, you're not focusing on depth. If I want to get deep, I use Super Healing for an extended lifespan, Coal Galore for lots of exploding veins, and then something else that goes boom -- Super Gas, Super Grenade, Super Bomb, Super Drill, Exploding Arrows in roughly that order of preferability. Super Dynamite isn't nearly as useful because it's strictly horizontal. With that layout, don't dig unnecessarily and stay near the middle as much as you can and you should get down deep.

Of course, with that layout you're not focusing on treasure, either. I've found Diamond Touch + Coal Galore + Diamond Industry to be a great combination -- exploding coal veins that frequently turn into lots of diamonds, plus an easier time getting deeper to find more Diamond Touches. I've found the newer treasure touches (Emerald, Spinel, Topaz, Sapphire) to be gently caress-all useless because they won't appear at all until you're 200-250 deep.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Anyone playing Star Wars Assault Team? It's a pretty fun little rpg game with some ccg elements. That old familiar energy system reappears, and I wish it was a little bit deeper, but it's pretty fun so far and doesn't seem to be all that aggro with the iap at my early stage.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

double negative posted:

Anyone playing Star Wars Assault Team? It's a pretty fun little rpg game with some ccg elements. That old familiar energy system reappears, and I wish it was a little bit deeper, but it's pretty fun so far and doesn't seem to be all that aggro with the iap at my early stage.

I was pretty surprised by this game, largely because it seems like they put a considerable amount of effort in to it. The other Star Wars free to play CCG really felt like they just copied and pasted the Star Wars licensed poo poo in to a crappy card game and called it a day. That being said, these games that essentially have prize wheel IAP really turn me off. I can't imagine playing something like paper Magic: The Gathering if boosters were segregated in to price tiers starting with "You will get no good cards, don't bother" packs and "All the good cards are in this pack" $20 packs. ...Although you could argue they did this with those all-foil Alara reprints...

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

io_burn posted:

That being said, these games that essentially have prize wheel IAP really turn me off. I can't imagine playing something like paper Magic: The Gathering if boosters were segregated in to price tiers starting with "You will get no good cards, don't bother" packs and "All the good cards are in this pack" $20 packs. ...Although you could argue they did this with those all-foil Alara reprints...

Fun-fact! At least two of the senior designers / directors on this have CCG backgrounds, with one coming from WotC and the other having worked on the long-defunct web game Duels.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Sunblood posted:

Artefact + Treasure is a fantastic combo, because you will just get so many artefacts it's not even funny. The best 3rd card to go with that is Super Healing, which at 5* will get you up to 500m with almost 0 durability loss. After 500m, no Healing crates will ever spawn. So past that point Super Healing becomes useless, but with near full durability you should be able to cruise out another 200m or so. Going artefact hunting with decks is the fastest way to get a bunch more cards.

Cards are the most important progression you can earn, having 5* Legendaries will supercharge your runs. Conversely, Picks really stagnate in progress later; at 200 hits you are paying 5k+ for 1 extra durability. So going for money doesn't really help you that much. Once you've maxed out all the basic artefacts and the only ones left are the rares and out of date seasonals (Christmas decorations, Thanksgiving plushies etc. are super super rare), then your main source of decent cards is going to be crates, so make sure you are always getting your keys with every single run because you will always have more crates than keys. Rainbow Crates have a 100% chance of Legendary cards, and are what you should be shooting for.

If you want to indulge in some max depth dick waving on Leaderboards; your best bet until you get into Healing Ore is Super Healing, Super Drills, More Drills. Topped out Drills will dig a ridiculous amount of depth, and with 400% more they'll often crash into another drill and just cascade on and on and on. The other really good "maxed out" box type is Grenades; they are much more random but again with 5* Super Grenades you can consistently get double figure grenades with each box which will clear loads of space and chain really consistently.

With Super Healing and Drills i've hit 1km, but to get much further i'm going to need something like Iron Galore, Iron Healing Frenzy, More Iron. That gives 600% more Iron, of which 30% is Explosive and 30% Heals. With that, the 500m limit on healing doesn't kick in (because you're not relying on crates) so with a lucky run you could potentially carry on forever.

Other than that, it's really just the minutiae of mining. Stay away from walls unless they have drills/arrows, because you are only uncovering 2/3 as many blocks with each hit so you are going to find crates and open space less often. Ideally dig down the middle-ish; generally I will just dig straight down unless there is a double strength block below and a single strength towards the middle in which case i'll dig towards the middle. If anything, tend slightly to the left because one of the pre-built patterns is unbreakable blocks across everything but the 2 squares on the left and if you crash into that on the extreme right then it can cost you a lot of unnecessary hits.

MissMarple fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 30, 2014

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

double negative posted:

I'm enjoying it so far. Only cleared the first set of levels so far, but it doesn't seem as brutal as other games in the same style with regards to locking you down if you don't have the best characters.

I noticed a lot of the characters can get to tier 5 - is the only difference between pulling them and leveling them the amount of effort, or are there different sets of characters in each crate?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Did anyone try out the new kairosoft cruise story game?

I did. It's pretty much Hot Springs Story but easier and on a boat. Build stuff in limited space, get bonuses from having the right rooms near each other, buy items to use on rooms to make them better. The big difference is that, rather than having to level customers up to unlock stuff, you level up countries which are groups of people, so stuff unlocks pretty quick and the pressure isn't "what can I do to make things more efficient" as much as "what of a dozen good options do I spend my limited money on".

Not bad, but definitely not very original.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah, so a bad Kairosoft 'welp we're out of ideas and need to fill a release gap' game, rather than a good Kairosoft game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Star Wars: Assault Team chat. Is there any way to play on multiple devices without facebook integration? The game asks for permission to post in other people's walls in facebook, and gently caress that noise even on a fake account.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
If it really is more Hot Springs Story then I would be fine with it since it is my favorite kairosoft game.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Has there been any talk at all from SuperCell about social elements for Boom Beach? I'm loving the game and regularly fighting over resource bases and the like, but it feels like there's a massive hole where the clans/friends aspect should be. I've currently got mousehat and party gorilla on my friends list and we have zero interaction.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I wish these end-of-the-world games like First Strike and Plague Inc. were harder.. I love both games but after figuring out the best strategy they are no longer difficult to me. Also the best strategy for each game is actually really boring.. In FS you want to expand as fast as possible and then focus on defense until your technology is fully developed. In Plague inc. you want to infect everyone in the world before having any symptoms.

Any more games like this? I get a kick out of wiping out all human life.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anyone playing around with Barcode Kingdom?

It kind of scratches that Monster Rancher itch, but there's no disguising it's a shallow timer-based game. The main fun comes from scanning all the things with barcodes around the house and seeing what you get.

Best part is you don't need an internet connection, so I can play it on my iPod Touch without wifi. I'm sure it'll go free eventually, but it's kinda fun even at a buck.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I've slowed down a bit on Shattered Planet but I have enjoyed it so far. I don't seem to be getting the bad RNG woes that many have with respect to rolling a hat and a weapon in order to take another run.

I've also come around a bit on the hunger mechanic because it is so extremely satisfying to use an explosive potion at the beginning of a Distance to cut the Blight off at the first platform, only to ramble about in peace for the rest of the Distance.

I've been able to complete the first "Hard" non-explore-mode scenario, I think it's only 6 distances deep and gives a decent amount of scrap and crystals. It also lets you keep any equipment that you survive with. Haven't figured out how to actually damage the end-boss but the running away option is feasible on subsequent encounters.

I may keep it around as you do get daily crystal boosts and the dev has said in the TA forums that a Steam version is coming as well as complexity-introducing updates including skills, actually useful pets, etc.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have yet to lose a game of first strike other than starting out with one of the tiny single-country factions and getting nuked before I can expand. It's still fun, in a "how long is it gonna take to win" way.

The screen where you select your nation will sometimes have hints as to how to unlock the next nation. They appear in grey below the blue text indicating you've played/won as that nation. Eg west Europe told me "conquer Africa" which unlocked South Africa.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

SynthOrange posted:

Ah, so a bad Kairosoft 'welp we're out of ideas and need to fill a release gap' game, rather than a good Kairosoft game.

Pretty much. It's relaxing to watch your cruise sail around raking in cash, but it's very much the sort of Kairo game where you just watch numbers go up. I want Pocket League 2, dammit.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SynthOrange posted:

Its just an older title being ported to iOS. Android is their primary platform http://kairopark.jp/android/en/ has a list and its pretty far down, right after PL1. Not to mention the list is in the order they translated them to English, which might not be the order they were released in Japanese.

If you enjoy Kairosoft games you should get a Nexus 7 (or 10 if you want a larger screen) if you want to enjoy them the most. They probably play well in Blue Stack if you want to play on a PC, you'll still have to buy them but the play store works fine in BS. You probably want it on your phone though and there is no point in owning 2 phones outside of personal + work if you get a work phone.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

bubbapook posted:

Has there been any talk at all from SuperCell about social elements for Boom Beach?

In the in-game FAQ (settings -> Help -> Hot Topics), they actually explicitly address this as something that will NOT be happening. No chat, no clans. If I were a betting man, I'd say this is to help Boom Beach NOT cannibalize Clash of Clans audience. Though the game would be so much better with it...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

devilmouse posted:

In the in-game FAQ (settings -> Help -> Hot Topics), they actually explicitly address this as something that will NOT be happening. No chat, no clans. If I were a betting man, I'd say this is to help Boom Beach NOT cannibalize Clash of Clans audience. Though the game would be so much better with it...

At the same time their forums have a sticky thread about ideas for a social aspect. I think they just don't have a solid reason to add one. A clan base where you donate troops and have to fight over land for 2-4 weeks then get a reward based on how much of the map you own / took out would be fun, and let goons zerg it all day long. It would likely also get them a ton of money with people buying instant troops to fight over land.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I finally finished Dead Space on PS3 over the weekend (only some 6 years after release) and enjoyed it. I remembered that I'd gotten the Dead Space iOS for both iPhone and iPad last time they were on sale for $1 (now back up to $10 for the iPad version). And... wow, yeah, the iPad version in particular is brutal. It hasn't been updated for retina (no updates since 2011) and combat is terrible. I'd really hate to imagine anyone paying $10 for it.

I might try the iPhone version but I doubt it. I found the monster models to be distractingly bad on iPad and I doubt that will have changed even with the iPhone version being retina-optimized.

I wish that I could go back and warn 2011-2012 me to never buy a FPS-like on iOS because I don't know if I've ever found a good one.

E: Just remembered that I also picked up NOVA 3 on sale and never really got into it, afraid to try at this point.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 31, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

I have yet to lose a game of first strike other than starting out with one of the tiny single-country factions and getting nuked before I can expand. It's still fun, in a "how long is it gonna take to win" way.

The screen where you select your nation will sometimes have hints as to how to unlock the next nation. They appear in grey below the blue text indicating you've played/won as that nation. Eg west Europe told me "conquer Africa" which unlocked South Africa.

Yeah but apparently there's hidden goals that prevent you from 100%.

I mean, you can get 100% but there's no hints to tell you. I would assume these would be like "beat game with 10 opponents" or "never get nuked". I've got 85% and had one game where I expanded to pretty much the whole world. Still didn't budge higher.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Kenny Logins posted:

I've slowed down a bit on Shattered Planet but I have enjoyed it so far. I don't seem to be getting the bad RNG woes that many have with respect to rolling a hat and a weapon in order to take another run.

I've also come around a bit on the hunger mechanic because it is so extremely satisfying to use an explosive potion at the beginning of a Distance to cut the Blight off at the first platform, only to ramble about in peace for the rest of the Distance.

I've been able to complete the first "Hard" non-explore-mode scenario, I think it's only 6 distances deep and gives a decent amount of scrap and crystals. It also lets you keep any equipment that you survive with. Haven't figured out how to actually damage the end-boss but the running away option is feasible on subsequent encounters.

I've been playing it once per day for a good chunk. I can get to level 20-30 now on endless. I'm also getting way more hats than weapons.

The "hard" mission is great because you keep all your equipment if you win it. So I stockpiled a bunch of stuff and then got my first 20 run that way. Once you start getting that deep, you get tons of scrap and crystals. It becomes easy to keep yourself in 5 star equipment all the time.

You need an energy or blight weapon to damage the end-boss. It's immune to sharp and heat damage, and I think it may also be immune to blunt. If you kill it, all it does is drop a rare consumable item (I think, it's been doing this so far).

Looking forward to its updates, and yeah the blight trick is fun. Especially if you get a source of infinite tile destruction, like the shovel or shatterer.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Dang, looks like my iPad 2 might be reaching the end of its life finally. Boom Beach and Star Wars Assault Squad are chugging.

I pretty much use my iPad for gaming and a couple of small apps, should I go all the way to an Air or stop somewhere before there?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Boom Beach question: Do you only get stone from digging up rocks in your own plot of land? My one Resource Base doesn't have any visible rocks. Stone Storage requires 40 less stone than what I have pilfered from my own island, and I don't seem to have much more left on my island to dig. And the Cannon takes like 2000+ more...

[edit] Oh I see I get some when I defeat island bases.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 31, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

SquadronROE posted:

Dang, looks like my iPad 2 might be reaching the end of its life finally. Boom Beach and Star Wars Assault Squad are chugging.

I pretty much use my iPad for gaming and a couple of small apps, should I go all the way to an Air or stop somewhere before there?

The new mini and the air are essentially the same under the hood, so maybe go to an Apple store (or Best Buy or whatever) and play with both of them and see if the smaller form factor / screen real estate (note: resolution is the same, simply the size is all that's different) are deal breakers for you.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

SquadronROE posted:

We have really struggled to support the iPad 2 and even the first mini, because they are so underpowered compared to the later generations. I don't see us even considering dropping support for the 3 anytime soon though.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Jake Armitage posted:

We have really struggled to support the iPad 2 and even the first mini, because they are so underpowered compared to the later generations. I don't see us even considering dropping support for the 3 anytime soon though.

That makes sense, they barely had a dual core processor right? I'll have to check out what the price difference is between the newer iPads.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

SquadronROE posted:

That makes sense, they barely had a dual core processor right? I'll have to check out what the price difference is between the newer iPads.

The bigger issue for us actually is memory. The iPad 2 seems to be fairly capable still CPU/GPU-wise but with half the memory.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Jake Armitage posted:

Oh thank christ. I was getting a little leary hearing that the iPad 2 was coming up on the end of it's life and I can't yet bring myself to buy a new iPad within another year or so.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Oh thank christ. I was getting a little leary hearing that the iPad 2 was coming up on the end of it's life and I can't yet bring myself to buy a new iPad within another year or so.

I'm in the same boat. I was hoping my iPad 2 would last at least another year. :ohdear:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I beat Pixel People without spending any money.
I'm enjoying Disco Zoo, for some reason.
I'm surprised that Ridiculous Fishing has an ending, and it was pretty emotional.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Feenix posted:

Boom Beach question: Do you only get stone from digging up rocks in your own plot of land? My one Resource Base doesn't have any visible rocks. Stone Storage requires 40 less stone than what I have pilfered from my own island, and I don't seem to have much more left on my island to dig. And the Cannon takes like 2000+ more...

[edit] Oh I see I get some when I defeat island bases.

I think at HQ level 6 or 7 you also unlock the Quarry, which generates stone for you in addition to the stuff you loot from enemies.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

bubbapook posted:

I think at HQ level 6 or 7 you also unlock the Quarry, which generates stone for you in addition to the stuff you loot from enemies.

With both stone and iron you get it the level after the storage. The main way to get anything is to attack other players. drat if I know how they get so much wood and stone but they seem to be a good source of income. NPC bases tend to also be pretty decent but lacking in gold. Though you do get more (islands owned)^2 in gold every hour on boats. If you level up the radar there is a stone production base, I think its the same level you get quarry. I don't think you need stone to level up the HQ to mine stone just starting the one after.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Count Chocula posted:

I beat Pixel People without spending any money.

I was enjoying Pixel People for awhile, but the ratio of downtime to time where I actually got to build stuff and create people was getting way too high. The last straw was getting a bug where I created a person that should have made me build a building that took up four land but it never prompted me to build said building, but my land got taken up anyways. Considering at that point it was taking me like all week to get enough money to expand by ten more land, it made it feel like more a of a waste of my time than normal.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

I was enjoying Pixel People for awhile, but the ratio of downtime to time where I actually got to build stuff and create people was getting way too high.

Boom Beach is the first game I've played with this sort of gameplay, and it's almost irritated me to the point of ditching it. I understand that they might make more money this way, but dammit I'd really like to just give them $5 and have the game unlocked so I could play it without feeling like I'm hooked up to a milking machine.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bug heroes 2 went through a big update today.

I have been having a ton of fun with the game with all of its updates. Lag is much less of issue. The bullshit enemies have been slightly nerfed. Scrolls cost less diamonds. Heroes cost less stars. There is a new turrets and game modes. Endless and co op modes now give diamonds rewards. The hardest mission are now possible to beat. You can select difficulty of missions now.

I think it is well worth the $2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Boom Beach is the first game I've played with this sort of gameplay, and it's almost irritated me to the point of ditching it. I understand that they might make more money this way, but dammit I'd really like to just give them $5 and have the game unlocked so I could play it without feeling like I'm hooked up to a milking machine.

I'm surprised that you've managed to make it to 2014 without encountering this sort of gameplay before. Not even Tiny Towers?

• Locked thread